HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

CentreView Tower II in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • North Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jul 12, 2012, 7:33 AM
ON3P Skis

[North Vancouver] CentreView | 73.2 & 55m| 24fls & 17 fls | Completed

This project is definitely big enough for it's own thread.

City Website
June 1st 2012 Revised Proposal
May 7th 2012 Report to Council

Aerial View from 13th & Lonsdale by Alex.Wren.Photo, on Flickr

Streetview from 13th & Lonsdale by Alex.Wren.Photo, on Flickr

Aerial View from 13th & Pedestrian Lane by Alex.Wren.Photo, on Flickr

Aerial View from 13th Street by Alex.Wren.Photo, on Flickr

Aerial View from 14th Street by Alex.Wren.Photo, on Flickr

Aerial View from 14th & Lonsdale by Alex.Wren.Photo, on Flickr

Summary of Project Statistics (full details including elevations, floor plans and stat sheets included in the Revised Proposal PDF provided above

Density: 4.56 FSR or 450,276 sq ft.

Residential Density: 288,280 sq ft (344 units)
- Tower A height 180' (Lonsdale)
- Tower B height 240' (14th Street)

Employment Generating Density (Commercial Space): 171,896 sq ft
- Retail including new grocery store - 93,176 sq ft
- Office space - 78,720 sq ft

Community Benefits - As part of the proposal and pursuant to policies outlined in the OCP, Onni is offering the following in exchange for bonus density:

- 10,500 sq ft indoor/outdoor childcare facility located on podium level
- 10,000 sq ft of affordable housing (approximately 15 units)
- $1,000,000 contribution to the Community Amenity Fund
- $1,040,000 purchase of portion of the north-south lane, which will go to the community amenity fund
- Hosting a mini energy plant, servicing the Central Lonsdale area
- Sustainable Building Principals - targeting 20%-30% better than current City of North Vancouver green building standards
- Building new office space which is in line with the City's Economic Development Strategy; encouraging and incentivizing the development of new employment generating space.
- Providing improved pedestrian connections through the site allowing greater access to Stella Jo Dean Park
- Major infrastructure improvements including: streets, sidewalks/pedestrian realm, and utilities.

-----

In my opinion, 3rd time in the charm. Onni has pretty much nailed this one. Beyond all the amenities they are proposing, the biggest difference in this plan is the massing (2 towers and a mid-rise (4 storey office building) instead of 3 towers) and the architectural changes to the towers themselves. I never liked any of the past 3 plans (2 of which were public, the 3rd one proposed in January had similar massing to this one, but was obviously tweaked at ADP before being shown to the public), but this one looks good. The Lonsdale tower (180') has been setback from Lonsdale by 68' (the podium at the corner is 46', tapering down as the 13th Street grade changes going up the hill), and the main podium along 13th has been reduced to ~37' (can't remember the exact number), previously being over 60'. The office tower is now setback from the Grand on the east side of the site allowing for a pedestrian connection to Stella Jo Dean Park. The sidewalk setbacks on 13th have also been widened to 6 metres. The project is also proposing public bike stations with tools and airpumps that will be available outside the building. Make no mistake, this is still a very large project (someone pointed out to me that the 344 units proposed is greater than the Prescott, Local on Lonsdale and 15 West combined, I haven't confirmed this though), with lots of people and parking stalls, but I believe it will turn out very well. I stayed for about 45 minutes of comments and was surprised/encouraged to see that around 2/3rds to 75% of the speakers were in favour of this development, including the strata council at the Grand (previously one of the largest opponents).

Old Posted Jul 12, 2012, 7:49 PM
testify

what an incredible proprosal. highlights for me are the 13th street commercial wall (which itself seems like an amenity), the sidewalk setbacks along 13th, and the re-activation (one assumes) of the 14th st plaza with two buildings designed around it. plus that 4 story lowish rise building looks great, and the green roofs and walls will set a new standard for the area.

wow, and imagine the views from those towers, like basically all sides will have something amazing to look at (especially the south- and west-facing sides, obviously).

Old Posted Jul 12, 2012, 9:11 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Impressive!

Old Posted Jul 12, 2012, 10:26 PM

What a great project! Nice to see North Vancouver getting some 20+ floor buildings as well.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2012, 12:59 AM

Looks great ! Nice to see some green space added as well. I hope a bit of it is accessible to the public and not just for residents of the new development.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2012, 5:26 AM
ON3P Skis

The green space off of 14th is Stella Jo Dean Park and already exists. It will be better oriented with the new development and not be up against the back of a safeway store.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2012, 7:04 AM

is that going where a safeway currently is? looks good

Old Posted Jul 16, 2012, 6:55 PM

This is amazing! Much better than the three tower proposals (although they didn't have as nearly as shiny a render as this one). The podium facing Lonsdale is great, not to mention the four story building/roof - the Lonsdale intersection will be impressive once this and the Prescott are completed. The west side of the street is gonna have to ramp it up eventually!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2012, 6:10 PM
ON3P Skis

This goes to Public Hearing on Monday November 19th. I urge everyone who likes this project to either attend the meeting or write council to show your support as there will be many nimbys out in force against this one. Onni can probably use all the support they can get (especially from the younger demographic). I will unfortunately be out of town myself.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2012, 5:01 PM
ON3P Skis

Did anyone go last night? I am out of town and could not attend.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2012, 5:58 PM

I really like this proposal. Great density and design. I wish more things like this were provided for Vancouver.

The only reservation I have is that the tower being on the corner instead of the shorter office building probably prevents the other buildings on the block from bring redeveloped into a tower because of the required setbacks.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2012, 4:06 AM
See ya down under, mates

Decision was delayed for a week, but looks like the NIMBYs were heavily outnumbered

Quote:
Supporters of the project — which far exceeds current building height and density restrictions for the area — outnumbered naysayers at the hearing 3-1, with 65 people speaking in favour of the Onni development, 21 speaking against, and a handful of residents on the fence.
http://www.northshoreoutlook.com/news/180233601.html

Old Posted Nov 21, 2012, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
Decision was delayed for a week, but looks like the NIMBYs were heavily outnumbered

http://www.northshoreoutlook.com/news/180233601.html
That's really good news!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2012, 3:52 PM

Good news. Keep up the pressure if you can guys.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 3:10 AM
See ya down under, mates

Last edited by Pinion; Apr 18, 2018 at 11:26 AM.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 5:42 AM

What a dissapointing turn of events.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 4:03 PM

Really disappointing. This was an amazing proposal!

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 5:03 PM
ON3P Skis

Onni did their very best to mobilize all the people they could to come out and support the project, there is nothing wrong with that. They asked me (I was unfortunately out of town) as well as asked me to talk to any friends who might be interested. It was a big project with many public benefits for the City. That site is only going to be developed once, it should be done right because it's going to be there for the next 60+ years. Some on council complained that the Public Hearing was hijacked, well, just because the developer actually got people out in support and not enough people stood up to oppose it does not mean it was hijacked. It's really unfortunate, even more so because I'm sure Onni will come back in January with two 180' towers which will hardly seems any different than a 240 footer and a 180 footer from the street (and Stella Jo Dean Park will still be shadowed), the office space will be cut in half (or gone) and I'm sure the daycare will disappear. It will all be OCP compliant and council won't be able to reject it. A handful of people who live in Springhill Place (140 east 14th) will retain a little more of their view and EVERYONE else loses the public benefits.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idunno View Post
Really disappointing. This was an amazing proposal!
Yup. To me this is a bellweather for North Vancouver. If it passes I believe over the next 20 years we will become the next evolution of a city. If it fails or is the shadow of itself then we will remain essentially a small town thats nearby a large metropolis.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 11:56 PM

They should jsut apply to build a "place-holder" on the site. Maybe renovate the existing store - like [whoever] is doing on Marine Drive in [Ambleside]?
Or like the PriceSmart development near Wal-Mart.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley