HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 3:07 AM

North Philadelphia: I Know You Got Soul

The most astonishing thing walking through North Philadelphia is not the ruined buildings and bombed out shelters... but the rows and blocks of buildings and homes still intact. You appreciate the architecture so much more.

The Entire North Broad Street Corridor from Center City to Temple is a huge "Up and Coming" area of the city

This Building will soon be redeveloped...finally!!

Hope you enjoyed my threads! I'll delve deeper into the neighborhoods that surround the North Broad Street Corridor at a later date. Look forward to future threads!

Last edited by summersm343; Apr 6, 2012 at 7:03 AM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 3:22 AM
Red brick mama.

This thread changed my life.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
So glad I could do that for you

Last edited by summersm343; Apr 6, 2012 at 6:24 AM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 7:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
why? no offence to the photographer but they are mundane pictures of a mediocre rundown area.I pity the poor children that have to be brought up in such neighbourhoods.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 1:33 PM
St. Louis. Bitch.

This is one of the coolest threads I've ever seen. The pictures capture real life in one of America's great cities. Very well done!

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 2:57 PM
Corporate logo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greavsie View Post
why? no offence to the photographer but they are mundane pictures of a mediocre rundown area.I pity the poor children that have to be brought up in such neighbourhoods.
I see a neighborhood in transition. Rundown, yes, but definitely on the upswing. North Philly will be completely transformed into a vibrant section of Philadelphia after decades of degradation.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 2:57 PM
International

Nice tour of Lower North Philly! Continuing the North Philly theme, how about some Broad/Erie next time? The Nicetown/Tioga area has some stunning architecture, even if it is cursed with the same violent hoodrats that have ruined much of the city.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 2:58 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Wonderful tour.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 3:06 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Norfside is Alive!

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 5:00 PM

Thanks for the tour of a very transitional hood. Looks like I need to get my ass to Philly. Nice photographs!

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 10:09 PM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

Quote:
The photographer has zeal for the future of the neighborhood. He's looking at what is and considering what it will/could be, to his credit. It's common theme among relatively recent participants in this part of the forum.

In addition, there's actually quite a lot of wonderful buildings in the area albeit in varying states from maintained to decrepit. Such is the nature of places like North Philadelphia.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 10:42 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Heckova tour. I'm rooting for Philly. Not sure where I got the idea, but I thought this rascal had been torn down:

Thanks for the extensive tour.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volguus zildrohar View Post
The photographer has zeal for the future of the neighborhood. He's looking at what is and considering what it will/could be, to his credit. It's common theme among relatively recent participants in this part of the forum.

In addition, there's actually quite a lot of wonderful buildings in the area albeit in varying states from maintained to decrepit. Such is the nature of places like North Philadelphia.
Thanks

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Offense*

1. I'm not a photographer... just like taking pictures for fun and thought I'd share my photos with you fine people on SPF... if you don't like my pictures do yourself a favor and don't comment.

2. I live close to a lot of these areas and am excited to see all the development going on. I know it's not the white collar neighborhood you were looking for but this is a neighborhood of Philadelphia that I think is just absolutely gorgeous in its own right. I think it's a great neighborhood.

3. As you experience when walking through these neighborhoods is there is a STRONG community pride. The adults are happy and the children are out playing enjoying life. Even though they live in these harsh conditions they make the best of it. That's what I love to see and that's what I tried to capture in this thread.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthehill View Post
Nice tour of Lower North Philly! Continuing the North Philly theme, how about some Broad/Erie next time? The Nicetown/Tioga area has some stunning architecture, even if it is cursed with the same violent hoodrats that have ruined much of the city.
I can certainly do that for you some day soon

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 3:14 PM

Thanks everyone for your compliments! Glad you enjoyed

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Ithacan View Post
Heckova tour. I'm rooting for Philly. Not sure where I got the idea, but I thought this rascal had been torn down:

Thanks for the extensive tour.
It has not been demolished thank god. There are plans to redevelop it in the near future. Could go into bid as early as this year.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Offense*

1. I'm not a photographer... just like taking pictures for fun and thought I'd share my photos with you fine people on SPF... if you don't like my pictures do yourself a favor and don't comment.

2. I live close to a lot of these areas and am excited to see all the development going on. I know it's not the white collar neighborhood you were looking for but this is a neighborhood of Philadelphia that I think is just absolutely gorgeous in its own right. I think it's a great neighborhood.

3. As you experience when walking through these neighborhoods is there is a STRONG community pride. The adults are happy and the children are out playing enjoying life. Even though they live in these harsh conditions they make the best of it. That's what I love to see and that's what I tried to capture in this thread.
no thats how the english word Offence is spelt here in England!Great to hear this area is improving

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 7:54 PM
Proud Homer!

It's not surprising to see so many St. Louisans commenting on these photos. I love Philly and have always looked it as St. Louis' "big brother" (so to speak). The two cities share so many commonalities.

With that said......the history of that Devine Lorraine Hotel is interesting reading. Father Devine was a trip. He advocated for interracial relationships (marriages) and reparations for African-Americans. FD thought he was God. The hotel is said to be haunted. And Jim Jones (not the rapper) thought he was the reincarnation of Father Devine. Every building has a story, I guess. These types of stories are enlightening.

Great photos.

What is the building being made into?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 8:06 PM

Thanks! Glad to see so many St. Louisian's love our city. I am actually planning to visit St. Louis shortly. I have a friend who lives in the area who I actually met in Jamaica. Small world.

Anywho... the Divine Lorraine has multiple bids...

1. Eric Blumenfeld (huge developer in the city) wants to build three public schools that share a campus/cafeteria/gymnasium on the empty lot behind it and then turn the Divine Lorraine itself into some-type of learning space on the first few floors then apartments/a few subsidized rentals above.

2. Another currently unnamed developer wants Blumenfeld to build the public schools then convert the first floor or two into a museum and the floors above into apartments.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos