Yes all the pics were taken from Place Vic. Griffin town may end up with mediocre architecture, but at least it'll provide residences for thousands of people. Eventually Griffin town and Cité Multimédia will be all built up (including on either side of Bonaventure highway) making one of the biggest and densest residential neighborhood in the country. Expect to see more high-end projects with better architecture closer to old Montreal such as Univers and Le Victoire.
edit: I don't know what is the exact population of downtown Montreal ( I think it's around 80 000), but with around 3000 units near the Bell Center, 1200 near le Quartier des spectacles, thousands in both Griffin Town and Cité Multimédia/Old Montreal, we could easily see close to double digits growth in the next few years.
I'm liking the effect it is having so far. I would like to see the Lachine Canal area in Griffintown redeveloped in a similar way to the Docklands in London.