HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 9:50 PM
National Capital Region

[Barrhaven] Minto Recreation Complex | Completed

Barrhaven South recreation complex moves one step closer to reality
http://www.stevedesroches.ca/index.p...ser-to-reality

A new recreation complex in Barrhaven moved one step closer with the selection of Perkins+Will as the successful design firm for the $51 million complex that will include two ice pads, a swimming pool, a large gymnasium, sports fields, a state-of-the-art fitness centre, community centre space and many other amenities.

The recreation complex, scheduled for completion in Fall 2014, will serve much of Ottawa south and will be part of an integrated campus at Greenbank and Cambrian roads that will include a Catholic elementary school, a fire station, park land and sports fields.

This will be the first full service sports complex to be built since amalgamation and it is great news for the residents of Barrhaven and all of south Ottawa. The hard work of the public advisory committee has ensured the facility will meet the many and growing needs of the local community.

Perkins+Will is a world-renowned firm with expertise in the design of sports, recreation and community facilities. The successful proposal was the result of a comprehensive RFP process conducted by the City and the involvement of the firm in the design of the complex is considered a major boon to the project and the City of Ottawa.

This is a major development for the City in terms of community involvement in the project and in terms of the level of financing through development charges. The City moved this project forward five years ahead of schedule in order to proactively meet the needs of the community.

The complex will be about 130,000 square feet and will complement facilities and services at the 30-year-old Walter Baker Sports Centre. It will be a convenient destination for residents of Nepean, Manotick, North Gower and, once the Strandherd-Armstrong Bridge is finished, Riverside South.

“This spectacular facility will have something for everyone and will benefit many communities in Ottawa,” said Gloucester South Nepean Councillor Steve Desroches. “Community input and the dedicated involvement of a public advisory committee that truly understands the needs of the community has ensured the success of this project.”

Looking forward to this one, these guys have done some nice work
http://www.perkinswill.com/work/spor...ecreation.html

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 12:55 AM
Awesome!

Quote: "This will be the first full service sports complex to be built since amalgamation".

The one in Kanata (still under construction?) isn't a full one?

But again - not saying I'm against this project, folks in Barrhaven certainly needs this even though the Sportsplex isn't too far from Barrhaven - this is another proof, that nothing gets done downtown easily, but everyone gets done easily in the suburbs or stuff moving away from downtown to the suburbs. This, the one in Kanata, the new hockey school in Rockland, the new library just a few steps away in Barrhaven, moving the EX from Lansdowne etc, while, they are tearing themselves apart for a new library downtown and it was a pain to redo the Congress Centre. Oh but downtown do get a fancy new skating rink, this was quickly approved for a change.
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 1:59 AM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre47 View Post
Quote: "This will be the first full service sports complex to be built since amalgamation".

But again - not saying I'm against this project, folks in Barrhaven certainly needs this even though the Sportsplex isn't too far from Barrhaven - this is another proof, that nothing gets done downtown easily, but everyone gets done easily in the suburbs or stuff moving away from downtown to the suburbs. This, the one in Kanata, the new hockey school in Rockland, the new library just a few steps away in Barrhaven, moving the EX from Lansdowne etc, while, they are tearing themselves apart for a new library downtown and it was a pain to redo the Congress Centre. Oh but downtown do get a fancy new skating rink, this was quickly approved for a change.
New recreation facilities in the suburbs have 80% of the cost covered by development charges, which isn't the case downtown for a few reasons such as the previous exemption from DCs for new downtown units and the fact that development charges can only pay for growth-related expenses and not for the share of the project that benefits existing residents.

Also, normally this project wouldn't be done as quickly, but the City recently changed it's policies so that once 50% of development charges are collected the city will frontload the rest through debt financing. This means people who buy in early won't have to wait as long for proper infrastructure and also helps it maintain service levels which affect future development charge collection.

http://ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/cit...ng%20Final.htm

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 4:19 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I don't necessarily have anything against Barrhaven getting stuff but is Walter Baker overloaded or something?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 5:53 PM
Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't necessarily have anything against Barrhaven getting stuff but is Walter Baker overloaded or something?
I would guess so. Even Riverside South apparently will get theirs according to the link provided on Waterloo's post.

I think the downtown area would need another one, especially with all the new people moving into those shiny new towers. Shame about that policy. So I guess Barrhaven will have four rec. centres within a 5-minute drive.
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 11:15 PM

Walter Baker was built in 1980 to serve 10,000 residents. Barrhaven now has over 90,000 (judging that a few years ago they said population was 88,000)

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 1:56 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Man View Post
Walter Baker was built in 1980 to serve 10,000 residents. Barrhaven now has over 90,000 (judging that a few years ago they said population was 88,000)
I am pretty sure Barrhaven has around 50 or 60,000 people at present, though I am willing to be corrected. Still a lot more than 10,000. Anyway, Walter Baker is still a pretty decent sports complex for a community of 10,000 people. Especially considering the Nepean Sportsplex is just up the road as well.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I am pretty sure Barrhaven has around 50 or 60,000 people at present, though I am willing to be corrected. Still a lot more than 10,000. Anyway, Walter Baker is still a pretty decent sports complex for a community of 10,000 people. Especially considering the Nepean Sportsplex is just up the road as well.
Both the Walter Baker & Sportsplex are good arenas the thing is both are over loaded to much demand on them so yes a new areana is needed.It is important to keep in mind that Walter Baker & Sportsplex are not just for there areas both have people comming from all acrosse nepean and even kanata and area.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre47 View Post

What one in kanata under constructiona re you talking about?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 4:08 PM

There's a rec centre planned (but not started yet) in Kanata on Innovation Dr. just south of Terry Fox. YMCA was originally a partner but then pulled out. Not sure what the status of the project is now.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 4:58 PM
Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen j View Post
There's a rec centre planned (but not started yet) in Kanata on Innovation Dr. just south of Terry Fox. YMCA was originally a partner but then pulled out. Not sure what the status of the project is now.
Yeah that was the one I was talking about. Wow still not started yet! Me who was complaining how slow major projects in Gatineau (like our sports complex which was completed like over a year behind or probably more) were going.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen j View Post
Yes but it won't have any rinks.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2011, 2:28 PM

Lightbulb

Want more rec facilities downtown. Tear down the old Sandy Hill Arena. This one ice pad arena is a decrepit money pit. Old wonky ice plant--poor insulation from a bygone era. High maintence cost for just one ice pad .Replace it with a new rec center. To get a better one, partner to share the costs with uOttawa and split the usage accordingly.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 6:49 PM
National Capital Region

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 9:42 PM

Well, I'll bet the people in the 100% unserved Barrhaven South are salivating at the thought of something being nearby. Something for the kids. However, if they need to get food...well.....

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 10:24 PM

I wish they would have gone with 4 pads and not have a pool and gym.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 12:08 AM

I wish there were arts facilities and community gathering spaces.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 12:37 AM

Not sure what you mean by 'gathering space' specifically - these facilities usually have space that can be had for meetings and such, but that might not be what you meant.
Certainly there's no bar/coffee shop!

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 2:13 AM

I think the pool and especially the gym are needed for the Barrhaven area. The only other Ottawa run gym in Barrhaven is out of Jockvale Public School and as an ex-user, it's old, small, and certainly not top notch.

I think the studio and multipurpose room could be used as a gathering and/or meeting space, for example for public consultations and community associations.

What is strange for me is that they are putting a fence around the entire soccer/football field. Are they doing this so it can be locked and non paying users can not use the field? If so, I think that's a bad idea and the field will go unused for some days; and not allowing families and youth to be out teaching and practicing sports.

And why does the proposed school already have portables in the back?! Is it not cheaper in the long run to build the school bigger now and have it sit empty then expanding later?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
I think the pool and especially the gym are needed for the Barrhaven area. The only other Ottawa run gym in Barrhaven is out of Jockvale Public School and as an ex-user, it's old, small, and certainly not top notch.

I think the studio and multipurpose room could be used as a gathering and/or meeting space, for example for public consultations and community associations.

What is strange for me is that they are putting a fence around the entire soccer/football field. Are they doing this so it can be locked and non paying users can not use the field? If so, I think that's a bad idea and the field will go unused for some days; and not allowing families and youth to be out teaching and practicing sports.

And why does the proposed school already have portables in the back?! Is it not cheaper in the long run to build the school bigger now and have it sit empty then expanding later?
Your right about the gym etc it does make a ton of sense as for the fence i think it might be to protect it last year the big issue was people going on soccer/football fields to early in the spring.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs