HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Apr 11, 2011, 9:45 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Pittsburgh Part 2: The Transit - Subways, busways & inclines

As explained in Part 1, I was in Pittsburgh last weekend. Being a transportation planner I am always very interested to see a city's transit network, and Pittsburgh has an incredibly interesting one, which made it an incredibly interesting trip.

Note that I said interesting, which isn't the same as good. Pittsburgh's system could be good, but appears to be mired by mad management and underfunding. One litmus test for whether or not a transit agency knows what it's doing is how easy it is to find a system map, or at least some close approximation of a system map. Pittsburgh doesn't publish one; such a thing doesn't exist. They publish a reasonably good light rail map, but there is no overall system map and no map that shows how the city's three impressive busways integrate into the larger system.

Yes, Pittsburgh has three busways. I had heard that there was something like a busway there, but had no idea the system was so extensive. It is probably fair to say that Pittsburgh has the most extensive and mature BRT system in the United States. Which would be great, except that the already under-funded service was dramatically cut back last month due to budget constraints.

The light rail appears to be the same. I waited 1/2 hour for a train at one of the main downtown subway stations. Granted it was Sunday, but still. That's crazy.

It's all very unfortunate, because the infrastructure is there for Pittsburgh to have a great network. If only they had enough money to run decent service, and enough brain power to advertise it correctly.

Since an official map doesn't exist, here is an unofficial one produced by Father Pitt:

I also produced a google map showing the light rail and busways according to real geography.

Now on to pictures. Let's start with the light rail. Pittsburgh's light rail is vintage from the streetcar era, and as you can infer from the number of street-level stops on that map along the southern end of the red and blue lines, it still functions very much like an old streetcar for parts of its route.

I didn't ride it all the way down there. I got on at Station Square, which is a full-on high-platform station, and rode into downtown.

Station Square appears to be a multi-modal transfer point. Note what looks like a busway to the right. However I can't actually find any service that uses that lane or that stop. Perhaps it was discontinued?

Here's a good look at the train livery, which is pretty plain.

Just west of Station Square there's a transit tunnel under Mount Washington for use by light rail and buses only. I didn't go through.

From Station Square the train went over this bridge to cross into downtown.

Looks like this, as seen from Mount Washington:

Downtown the stations are in a subway. The last time I was in Pittsburgh I was nearly arrested for taking a picture of a subway station. This time no one bothered me.

This is Wood Street Station, which is temporarily the end of the line, while an extension across the Allegheny River into Northshore is under construction.

The inside of a train:

Further indication that the light rail functions like a bus in the suburbs: A stop request strip.

The entrance to Wood Street subway station occupies the ground floor of this building.

A few blocks down, Gateway Center subway station, which used to be the end-line downtown station but is currently closed, to be completely rebuilt as part of the northern extension.

There's a light rail spur to Penn Station, one of Pittsburgh's two grand old intercity rail depots. I'm not sure if the light rail service to Penn Station is still active or if it was cut, but you can see the contemporary multi-modal local station on the right side of this picture:

The historic depot is gorgeous, and features a carriage turn-around / pick-up-drop-off area that's very unique:

Unfortunately, the historic depot isn't used for trains anymore. It's been converted to apartments, and they keep the doors locked. I stuck my camera up against the window and took this teaser of the station's old main hall:

I searched flickr to find a picture of the main hall and found this. THIS IS NOT MY PICTURE. It's from flickr user PMcC in WashDC:

The small number of Amtrak trains a day that come through use an Amshack off to the side

Here's the light rail station off to the side that you first saw in the Penn Station overview picture a few shots up. I'm not sure whether this is still served by trains or if service here was cut. It's only a little spur from the main line.

Between the light rail station and the historic depot building, the West MLK busway has its first station.

The busways are pretty simple. They're dedicated highways for buses only. No cars, whatsoever (except transit agency police, apparently). They're one lane in each direction, except at stops where there are extra pull-off lanes. Maybe there's express service? I don't know.

Stations vary from those that look like fairly basic bus stops, like Herron Avenue stop:

... To the more extensive East Liberty station:

They use a mix of regular and articulated buses.

The busways are very much like light rail in other cities in many ways (for a discussion of ways light rail and buses are inherently different, click here). This shows the East Busway, which follows the right-of-way of freight rail tracks. It would be so simple to convert these to rail.

In addition to the busways there are some surface bus lanes around. I thought this one on 5th Avenue in Oakland near the Cathedral of Learning was particularly interesting, since it's counterflow to the main direction of traffic:

Downtown it looks like the buses just mix with traffic. That's too bad.

Bus with an ad for a bus. It's meta:

Oh, right:

Pretty darn nice-looking Greyhound station. I didn't go in, but should have.

Now let's go back across the Monongahela River and check out the inclines, the two unique diagonal railroads carrying passengers to and from the top and bottom of Mount Washington.

This is the Duquesne Incline, as seen from downtown Pittsburgh.

I didn't ride this one, but have zoomed-in pictures of the stations at the top and bottom of the mountain:

I did ride the Monongahela Incline, the one that starts right at Station Square (where our tour began).

Looks like this from the outside:

Back in:

Head back down the incline and we're right where we started, at Station Square.

Station square is so named because it's the location of Pittsburgh's other large historic intercity rail depot, the Pittsburgh & Lake Erie Station:

The main hall for P&LE Station is now a restaurant called the Grand Concourse. Check it out in the next post, which is the end of this photo set.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2011, 9:45 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Scroll --------------------------->

Old Posted Apr 11, 2011, 11:41 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

I didn't know about those busways, wicked.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 12:06 AM

Cirrus, I don't know why I let it bother me and it really isn't any of my business, but it annoys me that eastern Pittsburgh has a busway instead of rail It seems like an easy conversion.

Does the busway work well? Do people want to live and work near the stations? Are developers willing to build houses & commercial properties near the stations? Would the line be more succesful if it were rail? Those are all the things I wonder. It goes through neighborhoods that would appear to thrive on rail lines.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 12:31 AM

^i totally agree with you. Pittsburgh defntly needs rails to oakland and the rest of the east. I read somewhere that they made plans but haven't done anything with it yet and didnt they used to have a people mover going down that way?? Thanks for this thread and great premise, Pittsburgh's PT always interested me.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 12:51 AM

Delightfully informative set!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 1:09 AM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

I remember the debacle at Gateway Center in 2005, Cirrus. I'm glad you had better luck this trip.

I suppose The T's current state of malaise is due, in part, to the region's general population decline. I don't know how decentralized Metro Pittsburgh is but it seems to me that an obvious plan for the future would be conversion of those busways and a comprehensive transit plan for the region. I was in a car driving around that city and I honestly don't know how people do that every day.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 2:33 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Naturally, the only reason you were almost arrested back in 2005 was because two other, you know, darker forumers were with you.

Those were the days. A PAT down!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 2:57 AM

By the way, these photographs are excellent. Enjoyable, even if one isn't interested in transit. (I am interested)

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 4:25 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Thanks again for showing me a taste of what I'm to expect when I arrive in Pittsburgh in a few weeks!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 6:02 AM

Now I want more, more! more! more! I want a part 3!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 6:18 AM
<-- Chicago's roots.

Very informative thread. I always wondered about Pittsburgh's transit. Looks like it has the structure to be a winner.

Common - Resurrection (Video Mix)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmOd0GKuztE

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 4:27 PM

Could you get from surrounding towns (I don't know if Moon township and other similar towns are suburbs) into Pittsburgh by train/bus? How many buses/trains are in Pittsburgh? I mean... you have to wait more than 5-10 minutes for one usually?
Can a person live in a surrounding town just with a bike and public transportation?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 4:37 PM

I've never heard of or seen a busway in life. This was certainly informative lol. Another great thread

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 5:43 PM

Nice thread. Hopefully Pittsburgh will be able to beef up it's LRT in the future.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 6:11 PM

Very informative. I love these types of threads.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 6:40 PM
Editor

Very interesting and informative tour

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 2:21 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

I'm probably one of the few people to view this thread that has used just about every mode photographed here.

My thoughts: The bus system IS very extensive and does a pretty efficient job except when budget shortfalls cuts into service. I used to take the West Busway which has its own private tunnel bypassing the Ft Pitt Tunnel traffic - Nice.

The T light rail is great for the south hills but besides rush hour it's fairly inneffective downtown and of course non-existant to the east, west and north parts of the city. Hopefully the new north shore connector under construction will be extended to the ACTUAL northside where people live someday.

The inclines are interesting in a novelty kind of way. There used to be 15 inclines in Pgh. Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._in_Pittsburgh

I feel like Pittsburgh does come up a little short of the "critical mass" of ridership needed to make it's mass transit truly effective.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 2:37 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Oh and here is a cool aerial pic of a T maintenance facility in the south hills.

Photo credit: avphotographics.com

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 2:54 PM
Red brick mama.

AMAZING! Pittsburgh is in the big leagues.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos