HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Mar 28, 2011, 4:01 AM
User Registered

2011 Federal Election

This is a place to discuss the 2011 Federal Election for London and area.

London has 3 ridings in the city, with a total of 10 within it's "Metro" area.

I'm in the London West riding. I have no idea who I'm going to vote for at this point. It doesn't help when there's two Fergesons running here (Doug Ferguson is the Liberal candidate and Peter Ferguson is the NDP guy).
-The Incumbent is Ed Holder. I don't connect well with the Conservative Party so I haven't really looked into how he's doing but by the looks of it he's doing an ok job.

I have lost nearly all faith in the party leaders so I'm looking at the local candidates to help me make up my undecided mind.
-Harper's been doing a good job getting us through this global recession/turmoil, but we've had to keep him on his toes so his Minority government could function. If the conservatives win another minority, I don't think much will change, so he's the status-quo guy. I am fearful of a Conservative majority though... I don't want him with that much power.
-Iggy doesn't connect with me and apparently most Canadians. Gotta see where he runs with his issues but the way he's handling this coalition stuff ain't a great start.
-Layton looks frail. I don't want him to represent Canada on the world stage, to be honest. His party seems to want to to work with others to get things done. I like that, but they shouldn't work with the Bloc in my opinion.
-May scares me. Simple as that.

Ok I think I'm done ranting for now lol.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Mar 28, 2011, 2:26 PM

I live in London West and will be voting for Doug Ferguson (Liberal). Although I have known Ed Holder for years and think he is a great local leader, I cannot support the Conservative Party.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2011, 3:13 PM
Torontonian Refugee

I live in London North Centre, and I'll likely be supporting Susan Truppe (Conservatives). I don't know much about her but from what I've heard she's lived in London for about 30 years and she's active in the private sector. She sounds like the kind of candidate I'd want to throw my vote behind (I don't like career politicians), although I will definitely need more research before making a decision. It may be a moot point though, because with all the students and university employees in this riding, a Conservative candidate is unlikely to be elected.

Last edited by Wharn; Mar 29, 2011 at 4:22 AM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2011, 4:02 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
I live in London West and will be voting for Doug Ferguson (Liberal). Although I have known Ed Holder for years and think he is a great local leader, I cannot support the Conservative Party.
my view/intentions as well.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2011, 4:05 PM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharn View Post
with all the students and university employees in this riding, a Conservative candidate is unlikely to be elected.
Ah but the university students will be gone by early May... so that may change the vote. I've always liked Pearson myself and North-Centre has been a Liberal riding ever since it was created.

Seen here for Federal Election 2011 London Candidates: http://www.lovelondon.ca/forumdispla...-Election-2011

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Mar 28, 2011, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
Ah but the university students will be gone by early May... so that may change the vote. I've always liked Pearson myself and North-Centre has been a Liberal riding ever since it was created.

Seen here for Federal Election 2011 London Candidates: http://www.lovelondon.ca/forumdispla...-Election-2011
I wouldn't be surprised if advance polls gets held at UWO and Fanshawe.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2011, 9:16 PM
Beefeater

I don't see this election changing anything really. Put me as a believer of this election producing another conservative minority.

On the local side maybe we get some promises of more money for cities and this time around with Joe at the helm London might take better advantage of that money. Nothing more than a pipe dream at the moment though

Old Posted Mar 29, 2011, 1:12 AM

I don't see any changes happening in London area ridings either. London-West & Elgin-London will still be CPC. North-Centre has always been Liberal, and Fanshawe is either NDP or Liberal, most likely to be NDP still.

I doubt Fontana will be able to leverage anything for London on the federal level. Sure he was an former MP & junior cabinet minister, but he has no connection to Iggy if the Liberals somehow won and with the result likely being a CPC minority I don't see how his former Liberal membership would help London on the federal level! Unlike TO with its "Ford Nation" and its promising to kick McGunity out unless it gets some more handouts, Fontana doesn't have any such devoted following.

As long as we have a MP in the governing party, I'm sure London will get its beak wet on any handouts

Old Posted Mar 29, 2011, 4:21 AM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpmasterdac View Post
As long as we have a MP in the governing party, I'm sure London will get its beak wet on any handouts
No, all our money will still be handed off to Quebec while Duceppe bitches about how how his province is being screwed by the federal government. We seriously need to start the "Please Help London, Ontario" Party. Then we'll finally be able to employ a model similar to the BQ's but on a much, much smaller scale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if advance polls gets held at UWO and Fanshawe.
They'd land smack in the middle of exams, so expect a turnout that you could count on both hands.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2011, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharn View Post
No, all our money will still be handed off to Quebec while Duceppe bitches about how how his province is being screwed by the federal government. We seriously need to start the "Please Help London, Ontario" Party. Then we'll finally be able to employ a model similar to the BQ's but on a much, much smaller scale.

They'd land smack in the middle of exams, so expect a turnout that you could count on both hands.
Fanshawe is done exams on April 21, so it could theoretically be done.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 12:20 AM
Wannabe Urbanite

So I guess the N.D.P. candidate in my riding (Elgin-Middlesex-London) dropped out of the race, and decided to put his support behind the liberal candidate. I suppose his thinking was that there might be a better chance of ousting the incumbant conservative Joe Preston, with most left leaning voters then voting for the liberal candidate.

I'm somewhat perplexed by this decission. On one hand, I like the idea of any chance that Preston will lose, and therefore help stop the conservatives from forming a majority. But on the other hand, this is mostly rural, right wing country, so I'm not sure it'll really matter. Also, the idea of not having the N.D.P. represented would be a real shame, considering that they are a major party, with numerous supporters, and a different viewpoint from the Liberals. It does not matter to me personally, since I'm below voting age and still trying to find what parties represent my viewpont (although I do know I dislike the Conservatives).

On a side note, It's neat to hear that Germany just elected their first Green Premier. Apparently people are saying the win can be partly attributed to Japan's nuclear disaster, and the revolt people are having against the energy source. Any chance of that happening in Canada you think? I think May should be included in the debate at least.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 12:42 AM
User Registered

Iggy is coming across that all votes for NDP, Green and Bloc are a waste and that they have to vote Liberal to oust Harper. Looks like your NDP candidate fell under Iggy's spell and withdrew out of fear that Preston will be re-elected. I don't like that. People should be able to vote how they feel.

Regarding May, I think she'll get into the debate. She got kicked out last time yet she got in. It will happen again, especially since she got more votes last election

Speaking of the devil, I find it disheartening that the Greens got nearly a million votes last election and have 0 representation in parliament. That's wrong, that's why parliament's broken and no politician is doing anything about it.
-To further this, the NDP got about twice as many votes as the Bloc and yet the Bloc has more members in the house than the NDP.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 3:50 AM

While her parties ideas are a mix of environmental protection with a decent knowledge of business friendly policies, its a futile effort.

Green won't win a seat, they won't be an official party after the election again. I'd rather have a debate feature the relevant candidates that will play a role in the next parliament.

The 2008 debate seemed so unorganized and forced with 5 people bickering and arguing with one another that I didn't come away with anything from the debate, just mud slinging from all sides. I'd rather it be the big 3 nations, CPC, Libs, NDP. Bloc shouldn't be in the english debate their a regional party that 75% of the country can't vote for!

Iggy and Harper are suppose to have a one on one debate which would be awesome and relevant for a chnage. Having the two big boys debate, one of which will form the next government is good and should be a interesting comparison to US Presidential debates!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 4:21 PM
User Registered

Iggy is supposedly going to be at the Lamplighter Inn tonight at 7 to show support for Liberal candidates in London.

I see a chance they could retake London West, and retain London North-Centre, but that's about it. That is, unless the move by the NDP guy in London-Middlesex-Elgin to withdraw and support the Liberals sways voters the right way. I'm sure Iggy will mention that tonight.

I think London-Fanshawe will be mostly a Con-NDP battle.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
Iggy is supposedly going to be at the Lamplighter Inn tonight at 7 to show support for Liberal candidates in London.

I see a chance they could retake London West, and retain London North-Centre, but that's about it. That is, unless the move by the NDP guy in London-Middlesex-Elgin to withdraw and support the Liberals sways voters the right way. I'm sure Iggy will mention that tonight.

I think London-Fanshawe will be mostly a Con-NDP battle.
I think London-Fanshawe will be a Liberal-NDP battle, because of Roger Caranci. Like him or not, he's got name recognition.

I think London West is going to be a close one.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 11:56 PM
User Registered

The London Conservative rally in a nutshell:

Video Link

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 1:56 AM

I'll be interested to see how the controversy will affect the Conservatives' performance, especially in London where the incident occurred.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 1:25 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I am really surprised at how aloof Harper has been during this edition of electioneering. If I were him, I wouldn't be treating the electorate with such a cavalier attitude. It's his to lose...and he just might at that, in the form of a Liberal/NDP/Bloc coalition. I hate the idea of a coalition, but not nearly enough to vote Cons.

At heart, I am a social liberal and a fiscal conservative (these are not at all incommensurable...balance the books so as to pay for social goodies like education, etc.). Hence, a Chretien/Martin Liberal.

Last edited by MolsonExport; Apr 7, 2011 at 3:09 PM.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 3:01 PM
User Registered

I think I might support a Lib-NDP coalition. It's including the BQ that scares me.

Hopefully the Libs and NDP win enough seats to form a majority together, but I'm highly doubtful that will happen.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Apr 11, 2011, 3:15 PM
User Registered

Interesting article in the London Free Press today:

Tories vulnerable in London West: prof

DECISION 2011: ED HOLDER FACING CHALLENGES ON HUSTINGS

By RANDY RICHMOND, THE LONDON FREE PRESS

http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2.../17945671.html

Hundreds of jobs at stake. A teen kicked out of a rally. Refusal to attend a health-care debate.

The challenges facing federal election Conservative candidates in London mirror a bumpy start to a national campaign that, left uncorrected, could see Stephen Harper in trouble and one city riding switch MPs, says a political scientist.

"Single issues, single events are not likely on their own to make a difference," said the University of Western Ontario's Paul Nesbitt- Larking.

But a series of issues, plus a potential change in Ontario voting patterns could spell trouble for the Conservatives, he said.

"Once you string three, four, five, six of these things together people begin to get a narrative and it is not the narrative the Conservatives want if they want to win a majority."

If there's a London riding where the local issues and national trends might play out, it's London West, he added, "In a sense, all three ridings are in play, but I think the energy, the effort has been put into London West by the two national parties," Nesbitt-Larking said.

Liberal Glen Pearson, MP in the last Parliament, is expected to keep his seat in London- North-Fanshawe and NDP Irene Mathyssen the same in London- Fanshawe, he said.

But Conservative Ed Holder won by only 2,000 votes in the 2008 election in London West, a riding that has had its share of swings over the years.

Holder did not return a request for an interview Friday.

Here's a look at the issues, local and national, making the race between him, Liberal Doug Ferguson, New Democrat Peter Ferguson, and Green party candidate Brad Corbett a lively one.

Diamond Aircraft

The company is located in London-North-Fanshawe, but Conservative candidates across the city felt the heat after the Liberals alerted the media to a $35-million loan request held up by the Harper government. Diamond laid off 213 workers over uncertainty because of the loan.

Then, last Friday, the story heated up even more when Holder said Diamond owner Christian Dries has threatened to shutter the plant if the loan doesn't come through. Dries denied making the threat.

The Facebook fiasco

Who would have thought a London teen getting her photo taken with Ignatieff could derail, for a week at least, the Harper campaign?

Awish Aslam was turfed from a Stephen Harper rally a week ago after organizers saw her Facebook photo, taken a few days earlier, with the Liberal leader.

Her story, first reported in The Free Press, exploded on the campaign trail where reporters had already been grumbling about the Harper campaign's fortress-like mentality.

A series of run-ins with students has left the impression Harper is out of touch and trying to clamp down on democratic debate, Nesbitt-Larking said.

"To the extent they continue to shun and treat people with suspicion, the Conservatives are going to be in trouble," he said.

At a rally in Hamilton recently, Conservative organizers changed their minds and let members of a student get out and vote rally inside a campaign function.

"I think that was a very wise decision," Nesbitt-Larking said.

The health-care debate

Holder has refused to join an April 20 debate on health care by the London Health Coalition. According to a coalition news release, Holder replied by saying health care is not a federal issue.

"I think it was tactical error not to attend that," Nesbitt-Larking said. "It is another example of a party . . . that feels it is doing everything right already and doesn't want to listen."

Strategic voting & the NDP

Polls are showing Ontario voters are starting to leave the NDP and Green party to support the Liberals, Nesbitt-Larking said.

At the end of March, New Democrat candidate Ryan Dolby shocked his party by withdrawing from the race in Elgin-Middlesex- London and throwing his support behind the Liberals.

The Tories said it was an example of the Liberals and NDP wanting to create a coalition.

The issue died, but it could be a sign some in Ontario are willing to do what it takes to keep Harper out, Nesbitt-Larking said.

Liberal strength

"There was a sense in the last election a dispirited Liberal electorate just didn't show up," Nesbitt- Larking said. "The question is will they come back?"

If the Liberals show up in force, and NDP supporters switch their vote, London West could go back to become a Liberal seat, he said.

My Simcity Stuff

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy