HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Feb 28, 2010, 12:38 PM

GO in East End Hamilton ????

Fight over east end GO Transit stations
City council is pushing for Fifty Road in Winona as the new GO Transit station serving east Hamilton. The unanimous motion responded to a perceived threat that a Casablanca station site favoured by Grimsby might be chosen, but offered no support for either Centennial Parkway or Fruitland Road options being considered by the provincial transit agency.
GO recently launched an environmental assessment process to help it select suitable stations for the extension of rail service into Niagara, including the already announced downtown Hamilton stop on James North.
Dave Mitchell got his colleagues to waive the rules at the February 24 council meeting to allow him to present “a very, very time sensitive” motion urging GO to select Fifty Road. He argued that location near the QEW offers “the opportunity to share many of these costs with the commercial development of the site” and because “the Winona site is the gateway entrance to transport residents to our downtown station and to Toronto.”
The commercial development refers to a controversial Wal-Mart centred big box retail development at Fifty Road and the QEW approved by council last July. A recent GO open house at Casablanca has convinced Mitchell that “we’re really in competition with that site with Grimsby” and hence the need for urgent action by Hamilton council.
“The consultants at the public meeting down there told all of Grimsby council – every single member went to that meeting – and the public and those councillors were told that they had not heard from the City of Hamilton politicians, so I’m very embarrassed about that,” he declared. “They need to hear from us, and they need to hear strong and clear now that we need this.&rd quo;
Brian McHattie inquired about other east Hamilton options and asked for the views of others on “whether it makes more sense to have the Centennial location or something further east.” Mayor Eisenberger said he thought that “it’s part of our development proposal there and it’s always been set aside as a possible station location.”
That was confirmed by Gerry Davis, the general manager of public works, who told councillors that this is “one of the nodes, so that’s one where we would want a transportation hub for the city of Hamilton in the east end of the city as part of the overall plans for Hamilton.”
McHattie expressed surprise at the response.
“I wasn’t aware that this location had already been chosen,” he said. “I thought there were several locations still on the table, so I guess I’m misinformed.”
Brad Clark agreed that GO Transit is “looking at a number of options and alternatives” but noted that council has “passed a motion to do a transportation study, if you will, for the multi-modal transit hub at Fifty Road”. He supported Mitchell’s contention that the city should express its views as part of the GO environmental assessment process, and suggested that the involvement of Grimsby council was revealing.
“As I’m hearing all about this in the last eight hours, my mind tweaked back to a couple of emails that I received from Grimsby town councillors asking that we oppose the Wal-Mart development at Fifty Road because it was going to hurt their downtown,” he noted. “And it’s interesting because that development included the transit hub which they’re now fighting tooth and nail to get at Casablanca. So it’s funny how things all come toge ther eventually and we understand what’s going on.”
Councillors unanimously approved Mitchell’s resolution. The GO Transit website includes maps and displays presented at its public information centres, and a comment form for resident input.

CATCH (Citizens at City Hall) updates use transcripts and/or public documents to highlight information about Hamilton civic affairs that is not generally available in the mass media. Detailed reports of City Hall meetings can be reviewed at www.hamiltoncatch.org. You can receive all CATCH free updates by sending an email to info@HamiltonCATCH.org.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2010, 12:47 PM

Driving people out

This is the exact opposite of encouraging downtown or growth in the City. Another ill-planned option for more people to run to the suburbs and take up more land for maybe farming.
Why not build on one of our many brownfields near either East Gate or Centre mall (Gage and Barton) even. It would not be such a strict clean-up to pave over it.
You want people from the East end/Stoney Creek to drive out to Winona or Grimsby as god knows there is no cheap or free parking near out downtown Go station. Get them to drive in.
just a thought you could ride your bike from East Hamilton to say a site on Nash or Kenora and eliminate a drive.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2010, 5:25 PM
It's Hammer Time

Please follow the article posting rules

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=178495

Old Posted Feb 28, 2010, 7:06 PM
Hammer'd

How the hell do they expect anyone without a car to use a GO station that isn't even connected to public transit? The fact that they try to term this as a "multi-model transit hub" is laughable. Centennial should be the obvious answer here, as it is right up the street from an existing transit terminal at Eastgate which serves a handful of high frequency HSR routes. The 2 Barton and some of the Stoney Creek routes could easily be routed to terminate at a new GO station there. City councilors serving their corporate interests again...
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Feb 28, 2010, 9:43 PM

Think logical examples

For a transport hub, let's think like Yorkdale in Toronto. It is a big mall with a huge begeesuz parking lot and has a subway stop to downtown and a bus-stop for buses going north.
We need logic. Hence a transportation hub. Why take public if it takes you several hours instead of an hour.
Winona will not really serve Hamilton.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2010, 4:39 AM

Quote:
Battle for GO train stop looming?

TheSpec.com - Rachel De Lazzer

City eyes Fifty Road, but Grimsby wants one, too

Councillor David Mitchell is spearheading an effort to get a GO train station at Fifty Road to make sure Grimsby doesn’t swipe the opportunity for a station in the area.

Council unanimously approved a motion backing the Fifty Road station, near the QEW, last Wednesday.

Mitchell says he became concerned after hearing from residents who attended a GO public information meeting in Grimsby last month.

He says they were told by consultants for GO that a site on Casablanca Boulevard in Grimsby would likely be preferred to the Fifty Road site, one highway exit away in Winona, and that there wouldn’t be a station at both.

“That’s the impression that I’ve got … and I didn’t know until I had my own public meeting (with) some of our residents in Winona that went to that (Grimsby) meeting that there was a major competition going on.”

But Grimsby Alderman Wayne Fertich, who also sits on Niagara region’s transportation strategy steering committee, says the issue has nothing to do with competition.

It’s simply a matter of supporting what is considered to be the best site for a GO train station in that town.

“If we can get one in Grimsby, this is the one we want,” he said, noting the Casablanca site has more parking capacity than two other proposed Grimsby sites.

rdelazzer@thespec.com 905-526-3404 905-526-3404

Old Posted Mar 2, 2010, 7:45 AM
Hammer'd

It's all about parking...
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Mar 2, 2010, 1:46 PM

Park'n'ride is the model that GO uses throughout the GTA. People will not take a bus in low density areas like Winona and Grimsby, where frequencies and service would be very poor if they had bus service at all. Taking the bus in such areas would easily add another 30-40 minutes each way to their commute.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2010, 3:28 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Is this rail or bus? And what would be the final destination in Niagara Falls? the VIA station or on Stanley?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2010, 3:52 PM
Closed account

Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't figure out why Mitchell wants to get into a pissing contest with Grimsby over this. It makes far more sense to have the East End station at Centennial and let Grimsby have their station. But I guess that would leave out Mitchell's ward.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure