HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 4:20 PM

The Next Tallest in NYC Predictions: When & Where?

Now, before people try to bite my head off for posting this topic please be clear that this is simply a matter of opinion and it's just for fun. A few other members and I brought the question up in another thread and we decided to start a new one to further discuss the topic. So I hope that no one decides that it'd be a good idea to show off and post rude comments here..It's the internet people..you're not tough on here. But anyway I'd like to see the opinions of anyone who's interested. About how long do you think that 1 World Trade Center will hold the title of NYC's tallest and where do you think would be the most feasible place for this building to be errected?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 4:39 PM
Editor

Yes, I asked that to myself. Why? I noted that in the U.S. several buildings held the title for a long time. The Empire State was the tallest in the U.S. and New York from 1931 to 1972. The WTC Towers were the tallest in NYC for 30 years. Ok, the northtower has been surpassed by the Sears Tower after two years holding the title of the tallest in the USA. However, Sears Tower is still the tallest in the country since 1974. And it will remain the tallest in Chicago for several more years.

So I guess, One World Trade Center will hold the title for atleast 30 years. Another reason for that is, that such supertall buildings are not longer intersting for the United States. They lost the titel of the world´s tallest in 1998, and mast likely all futere world´s tallest buildings won´t be located in America. Unfortunately they are not longer interested in huge towers. So it´s possible that 1WTC will remain the tallest in NYC for 50 or more years.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 4:39 PM

Manhattan will always be getting taller buildings, albeit at a slower pace these days. My guess would be to pay attention to downtown Brooklyn. There will be an explosion of office space demand there some day.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 4:44 PM
All-American City Boy

It would be nice to see Brooklyn get a supertall to balance things out. I don't like the idea of putting a supertall between midtown and the financial district because it could ruin the feel of the village. Maybe something tall in the Bronx could be cool around the 170's. It would really be great if Chicago or New York could step up their game again and start competing for height like they're known for doing, economic conditions willing.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 5:11 PM

OneWorldTradeCenter: 1 WTC could definitely be the tallest for that length of time but like uuarkson said, we should definitely pay attention to downtown B.K...that was a good point And HomrQT.. For I don't like the idea of there being a supertall in midtown either..and personally, I don't see it happening. You're right; it would definitely be out of place. I really want to see a supertall in area between 59th, 64th West End and Riverside Blvd.. I believe that there's a few buildings proposed for that area but I haven't seen that thread in a long time..were those plans scrapped??

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 5:22 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

I think there will a 1000 footer in Bay Ridge! And Forest Hills will have supertalls!
Also I think the Bronx will overshadow downtown with skyscrapers! Wouldn't that be cool?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 5:28 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadate View Post
OneWorldTradeCenter: 1 WTC could definitely be the tallest for that length of time but like uuarkson said, we should definitely pay attention to downtown B.K...that was a good point And HomrQT.. For I don't like the idea of there being a supertall in midtown either..and personally, I don't see it happening. You're right; it would definitely be out of place. I really want to see a supertall in area between 59th, 64th West End and Riverside Blvd.. I believe that there's a few buildings proposed for that area but I haven't seen that thread in a long time..were those plans scrapped??
Perhaps, but I doubt Brookly will have a taller than 1 WTC. Maybe they will once have. We will see. However.
Did you know, that the Empire State is the tallest in Midtown for 79 years (!!!).

Last edited by OneWorldTradeCenter; Nov 26, 2010 at 3:47 PM.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGII View Post
I think there will a 1000 footer in Bay Ridge! And Forest Hills will have supertalls!
Also I think the Bronx will overshadow downtown with skyscrapers! Wouldn't that be cool?
hahahaha! good one

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 5:30 PM
Editor

Quote:
hahahaha! good one
Why not Staten Island. Imagine that, or Jersey City or Newark?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWorldTradeCenter View Post
Perhaps, but doubt Brookly will have a taller than 1 WTC. Maybe they will once have. We will see. However.
Did you know, that the Empire State ist the tallest in Midtown since 79 years (!!!).
Possibly..I must admit..I be pretty pissed if that happened I do like the movement that's going on in Brooklyn right now though..they really need it over there. That's pretty crazy that the ESB has been the tallest in midtown for so long though, it's such an old building! I'm telling you..that area that I metioned is where it's at..one thing I thought about though....if a supertall was built there it might block the TWC..that would suck.

Last edited by canadate; Jan 20, 2010 at 5:47 PM.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 5:42 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I am betting on Pleasantville on account of the twins' biggest booster.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 5:44 PM
Editor

Quote:
Possibly..I must admit..I be pretty pissed if that happened I do like the movement that's going on in Brooklyn right now though..they really need it over there. That's pretty crazy the the ESB has been the tallest in midtown for so long though, it's such an old building! I'm telling you..that area that I metioned is where it's at..one thing I thought about though....if a supertall was built there it might block the TWC..that would suck.
Yes, and now the Empire State has been the tallest in New York for 50 years:

* 1931-1972 = 41 years

* 2001-2010 = 9 years

= 50 years

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I am betting on Pleasantville on account of the twins' biggest booster.
Lol funny..and nice username But let's get serious again. Where do you think is the most likely place for a building taller than 1 WTC would go?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 5:53 PM
Editor

Quote:
Lol funny..and nice username But let's get serious again. Where do you think is the most likely place for a building taller than 1 WTC would go?
I thnink on the west side of Midtown. Near the new Manhattan West Towers or the GirSole. Defenitly not in Downtown, there is not enough space. Or in Midtown near the Central Park. Have a look where other supertall proposals are located. (In this case, Tower Verre.)

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 6:37 PM
Editor

What do you think: How long will 1WTC remain in the Top-Ten of the tallest buildings in the world??

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 7:15 PM

Quote:
I thnink on the west side of Midtown. Near the new Manhattan West Towers or the GirSole. Defenitly not in Downtown, there is not enough space. Or in Midtown near the Central Park. Have a look where other supertall proposals are located. (In this case, Tower Verre.)
Definitely..I really don't wanna see a supertall on west 42nd though..I think the highrises that all already exist and the ones that they're constructing are fine. A lot of good ones have been popping up over there recently. The Girasole is gonna be a highrise correct? I've seen it's thread before but I can't remember the exact details. All I know is that I really like that building..it's be a great addition to midtown.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 7:22 PM

Quote:
What do you think: How long will 1WTC remain in the Top-Ten of the tallest buildings in the world??
And as for this..I doubt that it'll be in the top 10 in 2015. It's gonna be in and out. It's sad but that's just how things are nowadays. I just hope that it doesn't get topped in nyc to quickly...I want it to at least have 20 years on top. I do want something to top the ESB in midtown though..preferably in the area I mentioned ^^.. I wish that Tower Verre would've at least matched it's height..so much for that.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 7:29 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Tallest building (Realistically speaking) will probably be built on the West Side Railyards or adjacent sites, or near Madison Square Garden. Perhaps, even during this decade.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 9:02 PM
A before E

I am with several others on this one, I would say westside midtown somewhere will probably be the next tallest for manhattan. It would be nice to see Brooklyn's downtown have a good boom and get a few taller buildings.

But either way, I really dont see that happening in the next 10 years...the next 20 years, maybe...but then again, it is hard to predict what the markets will do and how the next boom with effect this country.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 2:14 AM
Charismatic Stallion

I would be legitimately surprised if anything taller than 1WTC was built in my lifetime. There are somany, many NIMBYs that it is almost impossible to build anything of great height. I could list all the towers that were shot down, shortened, or fought for months and years to approved, but we all know the story.

People here are so concerned about looosing a tiny piece of the past that they refuse to move forward. If somebody wanted to build re Chysler Building or the Empire State Build today, it wouldn't be allowed. "Too tall, too different, not New Yorkish enough".

The NIMBYs wouldn't allowed he construction of the house they live in.

If there's any area with a sliver of hope, it's the west side, and maybe around MSG, by otherwise, expect nothing over, say 1400 feet to ever be built.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture