HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 2:19 AM
Londoner

Green Light to Green Bin Program

Council Gives Green Light to Green Bin Program
It still has one hurdle to clear but City Council has given the thumbs up to the green bin program.

Council voted 16 to 3 last night to introduce a pilot project to collect kitchen scraps in green bins in 750 homes later this year.

The vote was a surprise to many as a city committee had voted just last week to put the pilot off for a year due to the cost, but some councillors say they did a bit more research and discovered the plan is worth trying.

Roger Caranci was going to vote against the plan, but wound up supporting it last night. He says despite last night's vote, the program is not a done deal.

"First of all it has to clear the budget hurdle because there is a $100,000 investment that the city has to put in. It's a growth issue going forward, a service growth issue going forward during budget so city council has to decide whether they want to put the money into it." Caranci said.

Bud Polhill, Tom Gosnell and Paul Van Meerbergen all voted against the program. It's not clear at this point which area of the city will be used for the pilot project.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 2:49 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Finally, some positive steps forward for reducing landfill. Excellent.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 1:18 AM

London is finally moving towards what Prince Edward Island has already had for at least a decade.

The only thing I find bizarre is that more Londoners aren't composting - my parents included. I've been trying to get them to do it for over 10 years and they just don't seem interested. Then again, there's only so much room for compost on one residential property, and it does attract insects and animals. They don't live in Oakridge but if they did I'd be worried about the Sifton Bog deer coming to visit.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 1:40 AM
The Vomit Bag.

^I bought a composter last summer. Using it almost daily...well not so much in the cold weather.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy