HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining

Old Posted Oct 20, 2009, 6:52 PM
BANNED

Lin Chinese Cuisine and Tea House named world's best Chinese-food restaurant

anyone been to this place?

Quote:
Visitors to a Chinese restaurant that's gaining a word-of-mouth fan base in Vancouver hardly notice the orangey-peach walls and black ceiling as they stand in line for a meal.

Instead, their eyes are fixed on the food being devoured by diners in the packed "hole-in-the-wall" eatery where decor has taken a back seat to good taste and value.

The dish that tops several tables is chef Ru Lin Zhang's pork dumplings, which won him a critic's choice award this year at the city's inaugural Chinese Restaurant Awards.

Zhang, who opened the Lin Chinese Cuisine and Tea House near a bustling west-side intersection two years ago, demonstrated two of his dishes - Green and White Fish Soup and Crunchy Golden Prawns - at the Vancouver Home and Interior Design Show's food stage last week.
http://ca.lifestyle.yahoo.com/food-e..._world_s_best_

not a hole-in-the-wall anymore...
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...near=&t=h&z=16

Old Posted Oct 20, 2009, 6:58 PM

I have never been there. BUT I *highly* doubt any place could be better than my favorite place.

Perhaps I will have to go undercover and check them out.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2009, 7:12 PM

lol, i'm sure it's a great restaurant....but come on, world's best?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2009, 8:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x View Post
lol, i'm sure it's a great restaurant....but come on, world's best?
lots of people seem to say vij's is the world's best indian restaurant, so why not?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2009, 8:52 PM

I will attest that a lot of food in Vancouver is the "World's Best" based on my travels. Of course, it could just be to my Canadian tastes... though, there is little "Canadian" food in Vancouver, I guess. Either way, I can't stand American Chinese food, or their twist on a lot of dishes I made so many people mad by telling them I couldn't find a good restaurant in New York City...

But it's true. They all do such weird things... like slipping goat in your lasagna. And not as cheese.

Vancouver is spoiled by its Worldly food, and a lot of tourists come away thinking so. I mean, you can't even find a Japanese hotdog in Japan! Only in Vancouver

Old Posted Oct 20, 2009, 9:03 PM
Hello World

Well, according to my American friends, Vancouver lacks "soul food" like the ones found in New Orleans and also Latin-based food like Mexican food.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2009, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetMapel View Post
Well, according to my American friends, Vancouver lacks "soul food" like the ones found in New Orleans and also Latin-based food like Mexican food.
It's only soul food because an hour later you have to say "Jesus Christ, where did I put the Tums"

Old Posted Oct 20, 2009, 9:33 PM

Quote:
"Soulfood" I could do without. I couldnt care less if we are lacking that.

As far as mexican goes tehre are plenty of great mexican spots in the city, ranging from your standard tex-mex to more traditional mexican cuisine.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2009, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post

As far as mexican goes tehre are plenty of great mexican spots in the city, ranging from your standard tex-mex to more traditional mexican cuisine.
Well, I have a couple of sets of friends from California--LA, San Diego, and San Francisco--and none of them has been able to find a decent Mexican food place in Vancouver. Any suggestions?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2009, 9:40 PM

RED BURRITO!

Although real Mexicans don't really have rice or beans.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2009, 9:46 PM
Registered Loser

"las margaritas" on the westside is high quality and "charlie or carlos" in port moody is delicious and cheap (but terrible service). we don't really have the taquerias like they do in california... it's too bad. red burrito is a disgrace to food.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2009, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by touraccuracy View Post
"las margaritas" on the westside is high quality and "charlie or carlos" in port moody is delicious and cheap (but terrible service). we don't really have the taquerias like they do in california... it's too bad. red burrito is a disgrace to food.
Hmm, it's not bad. If you don't get something with meat, as it's just crunchy for no known reason.

Sadly I only went there because one of their employees was on some Intervention show for a crack addiction.

Oh, the weird things that attract me...

Old Posted Oct 20, 2009, 9:50 PM

I agree on the lack of really good Mexican places (at least that I've found). I do kind of like Primo's in the South Granville area, or 12th just west of Granville. And as a little place, I like the Salsa & Agave on Pacific Blvd in Yaletown (not far from Davie).

There were some incredible Mexican restaurants on the east coast of the US though, and I've found nothing close to the best ones there. It's the one cuisine I have missed here in Vancouver.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjauk View Post
Well, I have a couple of sets of friends from California--LA, San Diego, and San Francisco--and none of them has been able to find a decent Mexican food place in Vancouver. Any suggestions?
How about La Casita, Cobre, Me and Julio, Havana, Lolitas, Pepitas... all local Latin/Mexican restaurants with great food and favourable reviews.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2009, 11:55 PM

my mexican friend said there are two good mexican places here one is on robson and the other i forget where - hes not a fan of the rest of the mexican places in Vancouver

but i've heard rave reviews for some taco place on hastings

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 12:51 AM

La Taqueria on Hastings near Victory Square (old nuba location). And yes, it's good.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 1:02 AM

Quote:
My impression of soul food is that much of it is fried and little of it is healthy (collard greens excepted?). Not really my thing.

I don't know of any great mexican restaurants, but I'm sure there are a few, as mentioned above.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 1:40 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post

Never could get the fascination with mexican food, all those gritty beans, runny cheeses and deep friend tacos

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delboy View Post
Never could get the fascination with mexican food, all those gritty beans, runny cheeses and deep friend tacos
Me neither, iv never been a fan of mexican food. Who cares if its freaking spicy, thats not flavor its pain!

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 2:18 AM

I have been to the place a while ago and there was nothing special about it.

Hardly, "world's best".

There are better places in Richmond.

Some of the comments on that news article are quite interesting...

" 4. Posted by Osakapik on Tue, Oct 20, 2009

Hon's WonTon House (Keefer Street location, especially) has the best WonTon I have ever had. Nothing in Toronto comes close, and better than the places I have been in Hong Kong. . . Too bad they dont pay their taxes and may close..."

I don't know why people love Hon's so much. It's the worst, low quality wonton that you could ever eat.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining