HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 12:19 AM
Meh

The Austonian - visible in 4 counties?

There was some doubts about the height of The Austonian, so I emailed the developers and asked if the height had changed. It has not. She said that the building will still be 683 feet tall to the top of the crown with 56 occupied floors, plus 3 more for mechanical purposes.

I mentioned to her that you can see the building in 4 counties in Central Texas. She was very interested to hear that and mentioned that she would like to use it as a talking point for the building, but only if I could confirm the source. Of course, I know I've seen it from just north of Buda in Hays County, just north of the SH-45 flyover. I remember someone else had also seen it further southeast in Hays County from some small county road.

Where are the locations in Williamson and Bastrop Counties where you can see it?

I was thinking it would be best to send her some photos of the views, at least ones that we have of that view. I think I have one of the Hays County view, and I guess Mopacs, you might have one of the one from Williamson. I'm not sure about the Bastrop view, maybe it would be visible from Google Street View?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 2:15 AM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
There was some doubts about the height of The Austonian, so I emailed the developers and asked if the height had changed. It has not. She said that the building will still be 683 feet tall to the top of the crown with 56 occupied floors, plus 3 more for mechanical purposes.

I mentioned to her that you can see the building in 4 counties in Central Texas. She was very interested to hear that and mentioned that she would like to use it as a talking point for the building, but only if I could confirm the source. Of course, I know I've seen it from just north of Buda in Hays County, just north of the SH-45 flyover. I remember someone else had also seen it further southeast in Hays County from some small county road.

Where are the locations in Williamson and Bastrop Counties where you can see it?

I was thinking it would be best to send her some photos of the views, at least ones that we have of that view. I think I have one of the Hays County view, and I guess Mopacs, you might have one of the one from Williamson. I'm not sure about the Bastrop view, maybe it would be visible from Google Street View?
I haven't been through Hays County enough recently, so I can't confirm on that end. However, Austonian is definitely visible from at least one vantage point in both Williamson and Bastrop Counties.

In Williamson, the upper floors are visible from the SH 45/183 EB-to-SB flyover. I'm sure there are other vantage points as well, particularly closer to Round Rock.

In Bastrop county, the Austonian is visible from westbound 71, a few miles west of the Hyatt Lost Pines resort. I believe another forumer here also confirmed this. The building can be seen from this general location (give or take 1/2 mile in either direction).

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 2:57 AM
Closed account

I can confirm that the Austonian is visible from Travis County.

But seriously, just north of the I-35/45-SE interchange would be in Travis County Kevin. 45-SE runs pretty much on top of 1327, which on this map is the road just north of the Hays County line connecting I-35 and 183.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...a%3DN%26um%3D1

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 2:59 AM
Closed account

Mopacs, it also looks like the location you pinpointed would be in Travis County, or maybe just barely in Bastrop County. It's very close.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 3:02 AM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottolini View Post
Mopacs, it also looks like the location you pinpointed would be in Travis County, or maybe just barely in Bastrop County. It's very close.
Correct. Its 1-2 miles into Bastrop County.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 5:10 AM
Meh

Yeah, I looked into it, and both of those "Hays County" locations are actually inside of Travis.

SH-45 is just inside of Travis County. And that other site that ivanwolf posted from Turnersville Road, is also inside of Travis County. Turnersville Road goes east from Buda. It actually starts in Hays County, but then the Hays County line dips farther south, so the spot that ivanwolf posted is actually within Travis County. The location he posted was between some other little county road, and South Turnersville Road, which set in Travis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanwolf
I was visiting a friend out in the boonies and came across this view.

From this location on Turnersville Rd.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...05112&t=h&z=18

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 9:28 AM

There is a hill that the big water tower near Mopac and Parmer sits on that I think effectively blocks any view of the Austonian from the Round Rock area. I tried getting a look from McNeil Rd and Sam Bass, but the terrain blocks any possible view. I'll keep looking. There are some higher elevations off Westinghouse Rd and some points east of 1460 that might be high enough, but I'm sure I'll need my binoculars to see it. Would that count?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 10:23 PM

I live far south and i'm sure I've seen it not long ago from Hays county and thinking about how remarkable that was.... I would guess you would need to be on the west side of 35.. maybe I was on 1626 or something.. I can't remember..

And has anyone checked SH 45 in Cedar Park? where it meets 183? I haven't been up there but it seems like you might have a view of it from that vantage point...

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 1:31 AM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougRockstead View Post

And has anyone checked SH 45 in Cedar Park? where it meets 183? I haven't been up there but it seems like you might have a view of it from that vantage point...
Yes... barely. I took this about a month ago from the top level:

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 6:21 AM

sorry but those last two pictures look like a water tower. you cant see any other downtown building plus its not in the right location i think. i could be wrong though

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 6:36 AM
Meh

What water tower could it be? That should be looking east, so what large tall water tower could possibly be so centrally located? I know there's that huge water tower at Pond Springs Road at 183 at Jollyville. That one is 215 feet tall, but it should be in the area that the photo was taken, so it can't that one.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 1:28 PM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
What water tower could it be? That should be looking east, so what large tall water tower could possibly be so centrally located? I know there's that huge water tower at Pond Springs Road at 183 at Jollyville. That one is 215 feet tall, but it should be in the area that the photo was taken, so it can't that one.
Its not the clearest picture in the world I'll admit. But with the naked eye, the crane rising above the building is visible. The ramp descends down to the freeway in an a slightly east of due-south heading, thus downtown is roughly in the same direction I am facing.

Time to get an updated shot...this time with someone else driving

The water tower you're referring to is just off the frame to the left. Its about a mile south of where this picture was taken.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 2:45 PM

I can see it on 290 coming from Houston while still in Bastrop County. I also have a view of the crown of Frost.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 4:50 PM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwill89 View Post
I can see it on 290 coming from Houston while still in Bastrop County. I also have a view of the crown of Frost.
We drove back from Houston this past weekend in fact. It was already dark and I believe I spotted Frost from immediately west of Elgin. Of course Austonian would be impossible to spot at night at this point. This was likely within a mile of the Travis County line, I would estimate.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 1:07 AM
Austinite

Here's one of the Travis County views, from this afternoon

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopacs View Post
Yes... barely. I took this about a month ago from the top level:

If that is indeed the Austonian in those photos then it would be visible from Williamson County. I work off 183 and Oak Knoll. and I know the Williamson county line is less than a mile north of that exit. St hwy 45 is a couple or three miles north of that...

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 3:51 AM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougRockstead View Post
If that is indeed the Austonian in those photos then it would be visible from Williamson County. I work off 183 and Oak Knoll. and I know the Williamson county line is less than a mile north of that exit. St hwy 45 is a couple or three miles north of that...
Speaking of... The Frost Tower is visible from the top of the Research Park Plaza parking garages (the 4-story office buildings directly along 183, south of Oak Knoll). I haven't been back recently, but its safe to assume Austonian can't be missed from that vantage point. The WilCo line crosses 183 roughly halfway between Oak Knoll and McNeil/Spicewood Springs.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 4:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwill89 View Post
This confirms what I said over a month ago...pretty much right after the last light/intersection (the highway 95 split to Taylor) on 290 in West Elgin (just west of Southside Market BBQ), the elevation begins to dip a bit after that light for the home stretch and you can get a brief glimpse of the Austonian at that vantage point...which at that point is what 25+ miles out or so at least? The official distance between Austin and Elgin is 25.66 miles according to Mapquest, though not in a direct line.

I now try avoid making my return to Austin on 290 past dark, since I got rear-ended pretty hard by a drunk driver while at a red light at Decker Lane back in late April. Aside from that, the stretch between Giddings and Elgin is a recipe for disaster, with just a double yellow line between you and oncoming traffic.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 9:44 AM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by austintilIdie View Post
This confirms what I said over a month ago...pretty much right after the last light/intersection (the highway 95 split to Taylor) on 290 in West Elgin (just west of Southside Market BBQ), the elevation begins to dip a bit after that light for the home stretch and you can get a brief glimpse of the Austonian at that vantage point...which at that point is what 25+ miles out or so at least? The official distance between Austin and Elgin is 25.66 miles according to Mapquest, though not in a direct line.

I now try avoid making my return to Austin on 290 past dark, since I got rear-ended pretty hard by a drunk driver while at a red light at Decker Lane back in late April. Aside from that, the stretch between Giddings and Elgin is a recipe for disaster, with just a double yellow line between you and oncoming traffic.
Impressive! As the crow flies, it is appox 20-21 miles

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.asp...cl=1&encType=1

Agreed about 290. For a direct route between two major metropolitan areas, it is definitely substandard. Of course there is the 71-I10 alternate route, which we take 99% of the time between HOU and ATX.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 7:56 PM
BANNED

I can confirm that the Austonian is visible from Hays county. It can clearly be seen from the FM 2001 overpass at IH35. This is the road that runs along side Cabelas and that huge water tank with a Cabelas ad painted on it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin