HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 1:52 AM
Fake News

This is random, but I came across this clip from a shitty old movie called Nightbreed on youtube. The skyline featured in the background as well as the Rocky mountains are undeniably Calgary. But on Imdb it only lists some place in the UK for where it was shot. Strange.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcXdkh6wbJ0

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
This is random, but I came across this clip from a shitty old movie called Nightbreed on youtube. The skyline featured in the background as well as the Rocky mountains are undeniably Calgary. But on Imdb it only lists some place in the UK for where it was shot. Strange.

I remember seeing that show years ago. At some point in the show the mulleted main character made a reference to the fact that they lived in Calgary too.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 2:40 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post

Wow, thanks for pointing that out. I saw that movie more years ago than I can count and I wouldn't have picked out the Calgary skyline when I didn't live here, but now it's so obvious! Tower and all!

That and Superman 3 are now my top 2 "I bet you didn't know Calgary is in here" movies to show people. The clear-as-day shot of the C-Train in Supes 3 is unbelievably cool.

Pretty sure the dude is driving on Hwy 1A heading into the mountains, too.

You'll notice a lot of movie info on things like IMDB doesn't have good info. Being a bit of a movie nerd (and listening to far too many director's commentaries than is healthy), I've noticed many short shots that aren't well known about.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 4:10 AM
Editor

Parts of Superman I were filmed here too. I'm dating myself, but when I was a kid me and my cousin sat on a patch of grass for three hours and watched them film a scene on Hunterview drive. (The scene where the dam breaks).

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Wow, thanks for pointing that out. I saw that movie more years ago than I can count and I wouldn't have picked out the Calgary skyline when I didn't live here, but now it's so obvious! Tower and all!

That and Superman 3 are now my top 2 "I bet you didn't know Calgary is in here" movies to show people. The clear-as-day shot of the C-Train in Supes 3 is unbelievably cool.

You'll notice a lot of movie info on things like IMDB doesn't have good info. Being a bit of a movie nerd (and listening to far too many director's commentaries than is healthy), I've noticed many short shots that aren't well known about.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 2:18 PM
Chuggernaught

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
Parts of Superman I were filmed here too. I'm dating myself, but when I was a kid me and my cousin sat on a patch of grass for three hours and watched them film a scene on Hunterview drive. (The scene where the dam breaks).
I like Exit Wounds, it's also pretty blatantly Calgary. Filmed just after the Centre Street Bridge work and filmed for a week blowing stuff up on it before it got re-opened to the public.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 2:34 PM

In the "Silver Streak," Calgary stands in as Kansas City; but it's a funny shot as when it was filmed in 1975-76, the Calgary Tower is by far the tallest building and dominates the skyline.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGuitarChampion View Post
I like Exit Wounds, it's also pretty blatantly Calgary. Filmed just after the Centre Street Bridge work and filmed for a week blowing stuff up on it before it got re-opened to the public.
...filling in as Detroit of all places! Calgary and Detroit are like the antithesis of one another - Calgary is shiny and modern, Detroit old and gritty.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 5:11 PM
Fake News

I love how in Exit Wounds the tower features so prominently (and by the sound of things Silver Streak too). Since when did Detroit or Kansas city ever have a tower? But I guess viewers (mostly American ones) are too dumb to notice.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubwayRev View Post
In the "Silver Streak," Calgary stands in as Kansas City; but it's a funny shot as when it was filmed in 1975-76, the Calgary Tower is by far the tallest building and dominates the skyline.
My favorite part is when they are driving along and the sign says 'Welcome to Kansas City' and you can see the Calgary tower in the background

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 9:37 PM

Quote:

Another movie that uses Calgary for a Skyline shot is the Marine. Some WWF movie with John Cena in it. They said the whole movie was filmed in Brisbane....

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 9:41 PM

Are there any movies filmed here where they actually say it takes place here?

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 9:41 PM
Urbanite by Choice

Quote:

Also - don't forget the movie - Silverstreak. Quite a bit of it was filmed here as well.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 9:46 PM
Urbanite by Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubwayRev View Post
It was also funny to see an Alberta Wheat Pool elevator when they referred to the Kansas countryside.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 10:52 PM

Nm

Last edited by frinkprof; Jun 3, 2009 at 3:54 AM.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 11:18 PM

LAst movie I can remember that was filmed in Calgary was Resurrecting the Champ, they filmed it in the Beltline and East Village, they even had a scene in the Mustard Seed.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2009, 12:13 AM
Bring buildings to life

I've seen Superman III, and there are several shots of Downtown Calgary (I know I lived in Calgary for only a year, but I recognize several buildings throughout the movie), particularly in the opening sequence scene. ex: The Epcor Building.

Quote:

Old Posted Jun 3, 2009, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
LAst movie I can remember that was filmed in Calgary was Resurrecting the Champ, they filmed it in the Beltline and East Village, they even had a scene in the Mustard Seed.
If you're discussing Calgary movies, there's a show called Cool Runnings, and it's about some Olympic bobsledding team, I filmed in Calgary.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2009, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
There's been some since then, I'm just can't remember any titles at this time. RTC was also filmed in Ramsay at Ramsay Crossing. Same as either Legends of the Fall or A River Runs Through It. I always get those films confused with each other.

I almost forgot F.U.B.A.R. A completely homegrown affair and one of the if not best movies to come out of Calgary.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2009, 1:30 AM
Watchin em grow

What about the TV show Viper? It was filmed here but I cant remember what city it was supposed to be.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2009, 1:50 AM
City Maker

Do you know how many movies are shot in *Insert Other Canadian City Here* every year? Why don't you rednecks just stick to your rodeos as *Insert Other Canadian City Here* is the true Hollywood North!!1!
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation