HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Icon Bay Halifax in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 11:27 AM

[Halifax] Icon Bay Halifax | 75 m | 22 fl | Completed

The following is in Tuesday's Herald:

Quote:
Condos to rise on Bayview site
19-storey ‘substantial development’ planned
By BRUCE ERSKINE Business Reporter
Tue. Jan 27 - 4:46 AM

If all goes as planned, a 19-storey condominium tower could soon rise on the site of the Bayview Motor Inn on the Bedford Highway.

"It’s a substantial development," Cesar Saleh, an engineer with WH Fares Group of Halifax, said in an interview on Monday. "The architecture is quite unique."

The Fares Group is designing the multimillion-dollar project for the property’s owner, Basin Vista Development Ltd., whose president, according to the provincial Registry of Joint Stock Companies, is Youssef Ghosn.

Mr. Saleh said the proposed development will include 150 condo units in a slender tower rising from a base that will house either a 100-room hotel or office complex.

"It depends on the market when we’re ready to go," he said, adding that the developer hopes to have the project pass through the municipal development approval process within eight to 10 months.

"We would like to begin (construction) in the fall of 2009," he said, adding that the project would take 18 to 24 months to complete.

The proposal requires amendments to Halifax’s Municipal Planning Strategy and the Halifax Mainland Land Use Bylaw to permit a mixed-use building. It will be brought before regional council of Feb. 3.

Mr. Saleh said the motor inn, which is located at 50 Bedford Highway, next to Atlantic Acura, will be demolished to make way for the new development.

"It’s not functional now," he said, adding that architectural renderings of the proposed development will be available after the project has gone to regional council.

Coun. Debbie Hum (Rockingham Wentworth) said she has met with the project’s proponents a couple of times and looks forward to seeing details of the plan when it comes to council.

"It would be substantial for the area," she said in an interview.

Ms. Hum said the proponents are addressing the issue of increased traffic volumes on the busy Bedford Highway that would result from the "significant" development.

"They’ve engaged a consultant," she said.

( berskine@herald.ca)
http://thechronicleherald.ca/Business/1103074.html

I should start a pool on when the first screams of "It's TOO TALL!!!!" are heard...

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 12:06 PM

19 storeys, eh?

Not likely to get passed knowing council and the suburbs now but I'll keep my hopes up.

At least the ugly brick building in back will have a new neighbour to blend in with. And well knowing the location of the Motor Inn this will be highly visible from the top of the hill.

Is anyone keeping track of whos developing what because W H Fares seems to be behind a lot of projects lately. THis one, Trillium and Kings Wharf come to mind but I think there's more...

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
19 storeys, eh?

Not likely to get passed knowing council and the suburbs now but I'll keep my hopes up.

At least the ugly brick building in back will have a new neighbour to blend in with. And well knowing the location of the Motor Inn this will be highly visible from the top of the hill.

Is anyone keeping track of whos developing what because W H Fares seems to be behind a lot of projects lately. THis one, Trillium and Kings Wharf come to mind but I think there's more...
WM fares is the engineer on the project, not the owner/developer if i understand correctly.

The only thing that sucks is here we have 19 stories proposed in the burb's, yet the residential building on the corner of morris and hollis is getting heat because its 10 stories. We are creating an awful amount of density outside the core.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 4:57 PM

19 stories in that area isn't unheard of. Granbury Place (Pink Brick with the cylandaric articheture) is just as tall and further up the hill, meaning it actually sits higher, as well as that really ugly one behind it.

Also, I think this is the part of the city where tall buildings should start, and then towards the core, things should just keep getting taller. If this project goes through, and the Bayers Road tower goes through, these buildings will be a really nice divider between 'suburban' Halifax and the future, denser and taller urbanized Halifax. The entire peninsula, long term, save the south end, should be getting taller.

Just as a side note, Yousseff Ghosn is part of the "City Centre Property Management" company, so perhaps this is one of their projects. These are the guys that brought us the "Barrington Narrows" and a lot of what you see up on Parkland.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 5:25 PM

[QUOTE=miesh111;4051195] these buildings will be a really nice divider between 'suburban' Halifax and the future, denser and taller urbanized Halifax. The entire peninsula, long term, save the south end, should be getting taller.
QUOTE]

Future denser and taller urbanized Halifax>? Not likely if things keep going the way they are with council fighting developers and or knockin down proposals.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
WM fares is the engineer on the project, not the owner/developer if i understand correctly.

The only thing that sucks is here we have 19 stories proposed in the burb's, yet the residential building on the corner of morris and hollis is getting heat because its 10 stories. We are creating an awful amount of density outside the core.
Opps yes I didn't mean to put developer.

Yes it is unfortunate the amount of problems the Vic is going through right now.

One thing I can see happening because of HRM by Design going through the system right now is a bunch of proposals for the 'burbs because they can actually build high out here. I believe this is just the tip of the iceberg of proposals like this.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 10:36 PM
we built this city

I'm excited to see renderings.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 10:48 PM
Closed account

Quote:
I'm excited to see renderings.
me too.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2009, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
One thing I can see happening because of HRM by Design going through the system right now is a bunch of proposals for the 'burbs because they can actually build high out here. I believe this is just the tip of the iceberg of proposals like this.

If that is the case then HRM by Design has failed in my opinion

Old Posted Jan 28, 2009, 12:19 AM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
If that is the case then HRM by Design has failed in my opinion
Well, maybe if they raised some of the height limits to 500 feet and ridded of the viewplanes, that wouldnt happen.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2009, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
Well, maybe if they raised some of the height limits to 500 feet and ridded of the viewplanes, that wouldnt happen.

Agreed. I mean the site for Morris and Hollis (the Vic) would not even be allowed to be 10 stories. Just makes developing downtown more expensive, and therefore less likely to happen.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 6:42 PM

For anyone interested this Land Ammendments part of this is going before council on Tuesday evening. Unfortunately there is no information available but the case number so far is 01205.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2009, 2:40 PM

Any information on this after Council's meeting last night? Did anybody watch? I have a special interest in this as I live about 500 meters away.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2009, 3:57 PM

I don't see any updates yet, but did anyone see the renderings?
Here's the case so far:
http://www.halifax.ca/council/agenda...0203ca1112.pdf

It looks pretty good!

Old Posted Feb 4, 2009, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire75 View Post
Here's the case so far:

It looks pretty good!
Looks nice, but the design seem very similar to something.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2009, 8:25 PM

I like it. Still wish it was being built in the city rather then out in Bedford. But it still looks nice. And will look really nice when viewed coming across the MacKay.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2009, 8:27 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
I like it. Still wish it was being built in the city rather then out in Bedford. But it still looks nice. And will look really nice when viewed coming across the MacKay.
Totally! The vista will look amazing coming in from the Bedford Highway as well!

At least there are some tall neighbors nearby.

Lets all hope that this one gets in.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2009, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire75 View Post
Here's the case so far:

It looks pretty good!
Me likie!

I hope with the additonal traffic they'll install a stoplight in the area. That random driveway scares the crap out me driving through there.

I really hope this ones gets approved! It will be quite the landmark for the Basin shoreline

Old Posted Feb 4, 2009, 9:06 PM

Looks Great!

I'm excited. Although WM Fares seems to have taken the Trilium as their main design standpoint and then cover it in glass. I still love it though.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2009, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miesh111 View Post
Looks Great!

I'm excited. Although WM Fares seems to have taken the Trilium as their main design standpoint and then cover it in glass. I still love it though.
Well might as well feed off of the successful I say. Maybe this will be the "Chateau Frontenac" of Sururban Halifax?

I had a look at the heights and this one is nearly 10m taller then the Trillium.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs