HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 7:53 PM
The Loyal Opposition

Now this really made my eyes roll. Hydro: $35 to subsidize Transit Passes (half the cost of a pass), $55 subsidy to park your car downtown.

If Hydro really wants to portray themselves as a visionary "green organization," does this incentive to subsidize car parking not just encourage people to drive their cars?

Further, it'll only further justify all the surface lots in downtown.

If they are going to do this for Hydro employees, to be fair the same deal should be given to all provincial government, arms-length, and crown corp employees. Why are the nervous surburbanites from Hydro who are too scared to take the bus (either scared, or incorrectly self-perceived elite status, that is) so damn special?

I also call BS on the whole contract negotiation thing. What percentage of the workers in the new corporate tower will be unionized workers? Not many, most will be out-of-scope, due to the very nature of the type of departments and oversight that will be in the building.

It came out of their own pockets? As if! Would they not rather get their $55 directly to them on their pay cheque, as opposed to having to submit forms and receipts? In other words, am I to believe that a car driver would rather go the route of forms, than just have a cheque $55 larger?

P.S., I wouldn't be pissed if it was only transit passes that was subsidized. I have no troubles with them getting a cash incentive to ride the bus. The last thing we need is even more nervous ninny downtown drivers, and our alleged "green friendly" Hydro encouraging people to drive their own cars by also having an incentive for this.

Rant over, now here with the 'article:'

Hydro subsidizing employee parking

Updated: Mon Nov. 17 2008 19:03:14
ctvwinnipeg.ca

2000 Manitoba Hydro employees moving to their new downtown building next month will get a break on parking costs.

The Crown corporation is giving employees a $55/month subsidy if they park downtown.

For those taking a bus, the company will split the cost of a $70 transit pass.

Hydro couldn't say how much it will cost the company, but even if half of the employees park and the other half take the bus, it adds up to more than $1 million a year, all out of the Crown corporation's coffers.

Hydro spokesperson Glenn Schneider says employees negotiated the parking subsidy into their latest contract.

"So this really comes out of the salaries for our employees," he told CTV News.

Manitoba Public Insurance, another crown corporation with downtown offices, does not subsidize for parking or transit.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 8:14 PM

I believe the parking subsidy will be phased gradually out over a period of time (3-5 years?), most of the employees live near the current office locations at the south end of the City and I think there is a park and ride option available as well from 820 taylor.

the real question is will/can hydro employees adapt to public transport...

cupe 998 represents something like 1200 technical and clerical hydro employees, not sure how many would be in the new building.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 10:20 PM
What could go wrong?

Hydro is paying to have 170 or so parking spaces constructed in the basement of the CityPlace building...their own private parkade.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 10:28 PM
surely you agree with me

when is hydro going to start acting like a corporation instead of a babysitting service.....seriously....how can a company like that only work 9 out of 10 days and also offer parking to its downtown employees...why are taxpayers expected to provide such perks to this company?....its unelievable the way that organization is run....employees there have hit the mother load...all on the public teet...how can it be justified?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 2:12 AM
What could go wrong?

^ sure wish i could milk the public's teet for some extra holiday's sometimes.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 5:23 AM

Offering a $35 dollar bus pass is a wicked deal and is a financial incentive not to drive, but then offering cheaper parking just cancels it out. This is stupid.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 1:51 PM

Manitoba Public Insurance, another crown corporation with downtown offices, does not subsidize for parking or transit.

bull-shitola...i personally know someone at MPIC in CityPLace who has a parking spot PAID FOR. not an executive but a fairly high-up Finance gal. It's a 24 hr spot so she uses it when they go to events at MTS Centre.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 2:25 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
when is hydro going to start acting like a corporation instead of a babysitting service.....seriously....how can a company like that only work 9 out of 10 days and also offer parking to its downtown employees...why are taxpayers expected to provide such perks to this company?....its unelievable the way that organization is run....employees there have hit the mother load...all on the public teet...how can it be justified?
If Hydro was sold off to the highest bidder we wouldn't have to care anymore.

Privatize Hydro today!

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 2:27 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post

bull-shitola...i personally know someone at MPIC in CityPLace who has a parking spot PAID FOR. not an executive but a fairly high-up Finance gal. It's a 24 hr spot so she uses it when they go to events at MTS Centre.
MPI is another perfect candidate to be privatized.

The Manitoba government really needs to get out of the insurance and hydro businesses and start actually governing instead.

Governments make piss poor business managers. Leave business to the private sector.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 5:21 PM
BANNED

Government is not alone lately in making bad business decisions IE: GM, Ford, Chrysler, Can-West Global, AIG, Leahman brothers, Citi corp., Merril Lynch.......

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 7:03 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Government is not alone lately in making bad business decisions IE: GM, Ford, Chrysler, Can-West Global, AIG, Leahman brothers, Citi corp., Merril Lynch.......
The difference is that private companies do not take all of the taxpayers with them, only those that chose to invest in them or work for them.

At any rate. Manitobans bitching about Hydro employees getting subsidized parking is funny while every Manitoban is currently getting subsidized power from Hydro.

Talk about sucking on the teat of government...

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 7:16 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
If Hydro was sold off to the highest bidder we wouldn't have to care anymore.

Privatize Hydro today!
yea and watch all those jbs disapear and our power go through the roof

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 7:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
At any rate. Manitobans bitching about Hydro employees getting subsidized parking is funny while every Manitoban is currently getting subsidized power from Hydro.

We need a finger waving icon for you sputnik, so you can really give us poor Manitobans a good lecture.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 7:43 PM

i guess he does raise a good point.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 8:06 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
The difference is that private companies do not take all of the taxpayers with them, only those that chose to invest in them or work for them.

Perhaps you can clarify what it is exactly that subsidizes the lack of a provincial sales tax in Alberta?

If you reply back with "good business environment" or some other vague economic drivel that leaves out oil and gas, I will figure out a way to reach across the internet and smack you...

All citizens suck off the teat of government. Not just Manitobans.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 8:14 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
All citizens suck off the teat of government. Not just Manitobans.
true

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 8:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledhead35 View Post
i guess he does raise a good point.
I'm sorry, but he is a very arrogant and condescending Albertan who gets his kicks by pointing out every flaw in Manitoba. And he is an ex-Manitoban to boot!

Very sad.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 8:40 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

cut it out prarie guy its getting fucking annoying no offence man its just i am sick of this back and forth bashing

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 8:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
cut it out prarie guy its getting fucking annoying no offence man its just i am sick of this back and forth bashing
Whether you like it or not, I will state my point of view like everyone else.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 8:48 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Guy View Post
Whether you like it or not, I will state my point of view like everyone else.
oye i am just sick of bikering i've seen it on here and its been getting worse laltly with the city vs city crap rising again...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan