HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 6:22 PM

12-Wentworth HSR Route Launch

Keith Neighbourhood celebrates new bus service
12-Wentworth route first to be added to downtown Hamilton in 25 years

HAMILTON, ON – June 19, 2008 – Keith Neighbourhood residents, businesses and service operators are thrilled to welcome enhanced HSR transit service to the area along Wentworth Street, Stinson Street, Victoria Avenue and Burlington Street on Monday. Representatives from the community welcome media and guests to a wedding themed event to launch the 12-Wentworth HSR bus route -- the first regular route to be added to the lower city since 1982.

WHAT:
Launch of the 12-Wentworth HSR bus route and celebration of the partnership between Keith Neighbourhood and HSR – Hamilton Public Works Transit Division. Outdoor ceremony followed by light refreshments and tours of the Eva Rothwell Centre.

WHEN:
Monday, June 23 / Official ceremonies at noon.

WHERE:
Eva Rothwell Centre (former Robert Land School)
460 Wentworth St. N., Hamilton, ON

WHO:
Clr. Bernie Morelli, Ward 3
Don Hull, Director of Transit, Public Works Department
Brenda Johnson, Environment Hamilton
Gerry Palmanteer, Keith Neighbourhood Resident
Barb Teichman, Keith Neighbourhood Resident

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 8:55 PM

neat

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 9:14 PM

They will shut this down in 2 or 3 months claiming there was not enough interest. This is what happened a few years ago when they introduced the Limeridge route. They ran it once an hour between 10am and 4pm or something like that. It ran down my street and I would have taken it all the time, but a 40 or 50 minute wait is not worth it.

I know this route is every 30 mins, but it runs really limited hours as well.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 9:33 PM
Closed account

yea, the hours suck and no weekend service, but i'm sure it will be used. the neighbourhood asked for it. gotta start somewhere I guess.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 10:06 PM

Not meaning to look a gift horse in the mouth, but every 30 minutes weekdays only is pretty limited service for a downtown route. I certainly hope there are plans afoot to expand the service when HSR budget allows. I can see this becoming a popular route. The same type of loop should also be considered for Sherman/Gage.

While on the topic of downtown routes, I'd like to see a couple more routes adjusted. First off, I'd like to see the 8 York route extended beyond its current north-east terminus at York and Dundurn so it continues southbound down Dundurn, loops at the Hillcrest loop then back north along Dundurn to York to rejoin York's current westbound route. Dundurn would stand to benefit from bus service along its entire stretch.

I'd also like to see 7 Locke's route changed so it runs south from MacNab terminal to Hunter, west on Hunter to Queen, south on Queen to Aberdeen, west along Aberdeen to Locke, north along Locke, loop at Tecumseh to head back south along Locke to Aberdeen, east along Aberdeen to Bay, north on Bay to King, then east along King back into MacNab terminal. This of course would require two-way traffic on Locke between Main and King again, but I always thought it weird that it was one-way just in that little stretch anyway.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 10:37 PM
Closed account

It hasn't been posted yet but They are also starting a Rymal Road Route and a Waterdown route in september. Apparently the Rymal Route could be called the Walmart Route.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanmedic View Post
They will shut this down in 2 or 3 months claiming there was not enough interest. This is what happened a few years ago when they introduced the Limeridge route. They ran it once an hour between 10am and 4pm or something like that. It ran down my street and I would have taken it all the time, but a 40 or 50 minute wait is not worth it.

I know this route is every 30 mins, but it runs really limited hours as well.
When did we have a Limeridge Route? Not since the Linc was built surely?

http://forwardhamilton.blogspot.com/

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 11:43 PM
Closed account

^^ Limeridge was before the Linc. The only reason they shut the service was b/c the Linc cut up Limeridge Rd. It used to be a popular route, esp on Saturdays.

I think the 12-Wentworth will be well used, especially by students in the area. Almost all teens in the Stinson hood are Cathedralites and have to walk from Victoria & Stinson to King/Wentworth, so I know they'll be using it. Especially in the winter!!

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 11:48 PM
Hammer'd

Definitely a good thing to see. As already posted, another North/South route is needed along Sherman/Gage. Following that, one in far East Hamilton/Stoney Creek as well.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 2:02 AM

I hope this route works out, the Keith neighbourhood is really a forgotten part of the city. There are a lot of shots from Keith in this tour. I've noticed some renos over the past year, and there are also a lot of kids there that could benefit from bus service.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 2:51 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonguy View Post
I used to take the Limeridge rt to school everyday as a kid. I think it was #15, but it's been a while. The Linc ended all that.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
I used to take the Limeridge rt to school everyday as a kid. I think it was #15, but it's been a while. The Linc ended all that.
It was #45, replaced by the 43 Stone Church after the Linc was built.

I was just making sure that the guy who was talking about it being withdrawn for "lack of service" wasn't correct.

http://forwardhamilton.blogspot.com/

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 6:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonguy View Post
After the Linc was built. The original #45 Limeridge was shut down when the Linc was built. They brought it back for a couple of months (some time between 2000 and 2003). It basically ran down Limeridge, then cut down some side streets to get around the closed road. It also stopped at Macassa Lodge.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 6:24 AM

source: Hamilton Transit Photos http://www.jncorporation.ca/hsr/index.htm

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 6:44 AM
Hammer'd

That looks like it was a useful route.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 1:17 PM
It's Hammer Time

Funny how HSR coverage is good for North-South service on the Mountain but crap for Lower Hamilton. Yet good East-West coverage for Lower Hamilton but crap for Mountain.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
That looks like it was a useful route.
It was a fantastic route. But they needed to run it every 30 minutes 6am to midnight in order for people to start to really use it. People would have taken that bus all the time if it could be relied on.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 4:21 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Funny how HSR coverage is good for North-South service on the Mountain but crap for Lower Hamilton. Yet good East-West coverage for Lower Hamilton but crap for Mountain.
that's because the system is geared around downtown.
I understand why, but it would be nice to have better N/S options downtown and E/W options on the Mountain.
I'm still waiting for more routes like 41 that go across the Mountain and down into the lower city. Why can't the Upp Wellington/Wentworth continue on to McMaster??
Or the 35-College continue onto Centre Mall? etc....

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 4:33 PM
It's Hammer Time

For the Rymal bus is it going from that Wal-Mart at Ancaster to the Wal-Mart at Upper Stoney Creek? Or is it from Meadowlands to Upper Stoney Creek?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 4:40 PM
Closed account

those stupid Walmarts. I'm going to be embarassed to live in a city where 1 bus route runs to TWO walmarts. geez.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure