HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 3:00 PM
BANNED

How Winnipeggers View Themselves

I found this quote made by a Winnipegger in the Canadian Threads section:

"winnipeg deserves to be made fun of....the fact that people live in this place is crazy, but its fun to live somewhere that nobody else would ever want to...."

Is this typically how Winnipeggers view themselves? Is the self-esteem levels of Winnipeggers really that low?

Comments like this really send a message to other Canadians and will influence their views on your city. It gives the impression that all hope for your city is lost and that the future isn't that bright.

If you can't get the leadership you require to make a true success out of your city, then perhaps a move to the proverbial "greener pasture" is in order for a happier, more gratifying life?

Last edited by Markus41; Apr 20, 2008 at 3:29 PM.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 3:53 PM
Movin' on up

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 4:50 PM

I don't think it is that bad I just get frustrated with how cheap this town can be and how it has such a narrow view of things with a fix it now wait later attitude.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus41 View Post

"winnipeg deserves to be made fun of....the fact that people live in this place is crazy, but its fun to live somewhere that nobody else would ever want to...."

Is this typically how Winnipeggers view themselves? Is the self-esteem levels of Winnipeggers really that low?

Comments like this really send a message to other Canadians and will influence their views on your city. It gives the impression that all hope for your city is lost and that the future isn't that bright.

If you can't get the leadership you require to make a true success out of your city, then perhaps a move to the proverbial "greener pasture" is in order for a happier, more gratifying life?
Actually it's strange. I know so many people who say Winnipeg is Canada's best-kept secret. A common opinion is that while yes we have 4 definite seasons and no freeways cutting through town, we also have a relaxed, affordable lifestyle with many intact walkable older neighbourhoods, and countless recreational opportunities from any direction out of the city.

It's an acquired taste to be sure, and it everyone's priorities will vary, but for so many people, Winnipeg is their "greenest pasture"; a perfect fit.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 7:30 PM

I would say Winnipeg is Canada's St.Louis, it is the gateway to Canada's west just like St.Louis in the U.S., they both have some crime problems, both have a rich history, both have declined somewhat in size to younger,faster growing resource based cities but both are still major centres to their nations.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 7:34 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus41 View Post

Winnipeg is a great city with a ton of positives, but some people like to only focus on the negatives.

As a person who has moved to Calgary, I can reassure everyone on this forum than Winnipeg is a great city which is unfairly targeted as something it isn't.

Sure Winnipeg has cold temps in January, but it could be worse. In Calgary its cold and miserable in late April... 3rd day of snow and expected to get another big dump tonight... meanwhile Winnipeg is enjoying high teens and low 20's. The fact is spring hits Winnipeg in march.. and ussually warms up in April is a testament to our compatitively nice climate for most of the year.

Winnipeg's economy has been doing very well the last number of years. Second fastest growing city economy in Canada last year... but not bragged about as it would be in almost any other city.

As a relocated Winnipeger I would proudly say Winnipeg is a great place, with a few too many complainers, giving the city a bad image.

Please check out:
www.allwinnipeg.com

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 10:27 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

The "complainers" and "nay-sayers" of this city are basically the minority of this city. The fact that they put down the city is the fact that they don't deserve to live in Winnipeg because they complain too much about its shortfalls, if any.

The rest of the majority just lives in Winnipeg, and there's a very serious reason why people live in this city. Numerous reasons for sure, but they're definitely legit reasons too. Yes, there may be greener pastures elsewhere, but if you want do something at your own pace, Winnipeg is the place to be.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 11:12 PM
GQMF

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 11:44 PM
surely you agree with me

i said that and its true....winnipegers have a sense of humour about the realities of living here....there is nothing wrong with understanding the challenges your city has or being proud of them...

i wish people in other canadian cities had a better grip on the reality of their cities instead of claiming that they shit roses all day long because their downtown has lots of skyscrapers.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 11:48 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
i said that and its true....winnipegers have a sense of humour about the realities of living here....there is nothing wrong with understanding the challenges your city has or being proud of them...

i wish people in other canadian cities had a better grip on the reality of their cities instead of claiming that they shit roses all day long because their downtown has lots of skyscrapers.
Amen to that. Winnipeg may not be perfect.. but no city is.

With that said.. Winnipeg is really an incredible city... with summers second to none.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 12:04 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post

Fair enough, but rarely do I see others put down (joking or not) their own burg on a regular basis as Winnipeggers. Call it pride, call it being tough, call it whatever you want, but it just gives an impression that you are defending yourselves for whatever reason. Reading through the Winnipeg threads, I've come across many who are frustrated with the way things are being conducted in your community, and vent quite often. It's just something I've noticed happening quite regularly with your city, and I don't see it quite as often or consistently as with those in Winnipeg.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 1:56 AM
Winnipeg Metro: 762 800

Here's a site where morons constantly whine about Winnipeg:

http://www.topix.com/forum/ca/winnipeg-mb

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 2:26 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseJets View Post

Yes indeed. Winnipeg will never be like Calgary.............ever!!!!!!!!!!!

I am personally greatful for that

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseJets View Post

Wow. Didn't realize there was such a site...crazy.

TV - You said it well.

Markus41 - I know plenty of folks that are proud of living in the Peg. Since my path has moved me to Alberta, I've tried to persuade some friends/family to move to the "Dark Side" (as Greco makes it out to be ), but they are absolutely happy living in the Peg - and for a lot of good reasons.

Newflyer - You know all to well that this cold blast in Calgary is incredibly rare in late April (snow isn't, but this cold, and for this long is)...the weekend before it was in the low 20s here as well. Spring arrives the same across Canada with the exception of the west coast and south Okanagan. My last year living in the Peg there was a bitter blizzard in early April as well (1997?)...anyone living there would remember it.

Regardless, the long winter weather is the hardest thing to accept anywhere on the prairies for most people.

BTW - Greco, don't you live in AB? Is it just for school, and are you making your plans to move back to Winnipeg? You sure have a hate on for AB.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 3:01 PM
ABOVE people like you

Winnipeg on Defense

Winnipeggers seem to be on defense all the time. I think that is the biggest difference I notice. I lived in Winnipeg for 35 years and 7 years in Alberta and the biggest difference I see is that Winnipeggers seem to be defending themselves, city, or province for no good reason. Life in general is the same in both locations ( Family, Friends, Work, Vacations ) with the same public complaints about government spending, road repairs, etc. When it comes to weather comparing a degree or two difference in temperature or a late snowstorm is a crazy argument regarding what place is better as neither place is the tropics.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 4:07 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWest View Post
BTW - Greco, don't you live in AB? Is it just for school, and are you making your plans to move back to Winnipeg? You sure have a hate on for AB.
No true. I really like Alberta; it's just that pesky city of about 1 million people between Lethbridge and Red Deer who think their shit don't stink that I really could care less about.

I have a few options in BC and Alberta right now (no, definately NOT Calgary), and I just waiting to see what certain companies offer me before I make my final decision.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 4:40 PM

^Not everyone from Calgary is like that. I find it odd you've came to that conclusion.

In fact, I believe since Calgary went through that boom in 2006 and last year, a lot of Calgarians are unhappy where the city is at (right now). So, yeah, everyone talks about how its growing, and glad to see some aspects of this boom - but overall, I think Calgarians are very aware of what stinks.

Having said that, I think some of that perspective you have is maybe because no matter how bad it does get, Calgarians still have that "can-do" attitude (which, personally, I don't think is a bad thing). I found when I lived in Edmonton, their attitude isn't very different, but the focus seems to be "as long as we keep up, or beat Calgary" (as in, use Calgary as a yardstick).

Winnipegers (myself included - when I lived there) seem to lack that "can-do" attitude to evolve or progress (re: grow). I'm talking generally here, because there are obviously still a lot of Winnipegers (several on these forums) that don't lack that attitude. I firmly believe this might also be age related...some just wanting status quo.

And I think when Winnipegers do succeed in bringing something to their city, they jump behind it 110%.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 5:33 PM

That link was something else. Not the lack of intelligent discussion, but the persistence of the lack of intelligent discussion. I'm thoroughly shocked.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 5:35 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWest View Post
^Not everyone from Calgary is like that. I find it odd you've came to that conclusion.

In fact, I believe since Calgary went through that boom in 2006 and last year, a lot of Calgarians are unhappy where the city is at (right now). So, yeah, everyone talks about how its growing, and glad to see some aspects of this boom - but overall, I think Calgarians are very aware of what stinks.

Having said that, I think some of that perspective you have is maybe because no matter how bad it does get, Calgarians still have that "can-do" attitude (which, personally, I don't think is a bad thing). I found when I lived in Edmonton, their attitude isn't very different, but the focus seems to be "as long as we keep up, or beat Calgary" (as in, use Calgary as a yardstick).

Winnipegers (myself included - when I lived there) seem to lack that "can-do" attitude to evolve or progress (re: grow). I'm talking generally here, because there are obviously still a lot of Winnipegers (several on these forums) that don't lack that attitude. I firmly believe this might also be age related...some just wanting status quo.

And I think when Winnipegers do succeed in bringing something to their city, they jump behind it 110%.

Ugh, it's not the "can do" attitude that is the issue, and I will admit that both Calgary and Edmonton have this more than Winnipeg. It's the "we are closer to the mountains, have lots of oil and are a "world class" , so that automatically makes us better than you" attitude that stinks. Seriously, Calgary is now worse than Toronto for this Holier than Thou, Centre of the Universe attitude. So I'll state this for the second time for clarification: It's not the actual city that annoys me; it's the citizens.

Hope this helps you to better understand my point of view.

Last edited by Greco Roman; Apr 21, 2008 at 5:49 PM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 5:45 PM
ILYR

I cannot speak for all Canadian cities, but after living in Winnipeg, Vancouver, Ottawa, and Edmonton I can say every city I lived in has people who constantly complain about their city. To some degree it is good, keeps people on their toes, makes them look critically at themselves. The key is that it is constructive criticism and is base on facts, not hearsay.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan