HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 5:22 AM
Closed account

Place de Ville III | 76.7m | 18 fl | Proposed

Place de Ville III
Developer: Brookfield
Size: 300000 sqft
Web: Brookfield Developments

Last edited by eemy; Feb 21, 2008 at 10:35 PM.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 1:10 PM
Still optimistic

No!

That is precious office space! not to bee wasted on a 17 story building!

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 1:43 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by AylmerOptimist View Post
No!

That is precious office space! not to bee wasted on a 17 story building!
I know this is a skyscraper forum, but you really have to get over this obsession with getting taller buildings in Ottawa. Be happy when it happens, but until then, understand that a 500000sqft office development is nothing to complain about.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
I know this is a skyscraper forum, but you really have to get over this obsession with getting taller buildings in Ottawa. Be happy when it happens, but until then, understand that a 500000sqft office development is nothing to complain about.

I am going to have to go with AylmerOptimist on this one. That location is certainly a very good spot to go high. It is already a tall neighbourhood so there is no issues of towering over houses and things. Plus it is right on the Transitway as well as future LRT etc....

That is a site that should go to about 25 floors at a minimum. It might even be cool to build the same size building just taller. This way a bit of space can be left around it. Sort like over at phase I with the fountain and such. We allow buildings to be constructed way too close to the street downtown and it ends up costing the city a small fortune in snow removal costs. Back them up from the street and leave so room. It also makes cool urban areas for outdoor patios and things in the summertime.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 2:09 PM
Elle est déjà vide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_speed3108 View Post
I am going to have to go with AylmerOptimist on this one. That location is certainly a very good spot to go high. It is already a tall neighbourhood so there is no issues of towering over houses and things. Plus it is right on the Transitway as well as future LRT etc....
I agree with you here. This is a good spot to go high and it's sufficiently out of the way from the direct sight lines to Parliament Hill to avoid a major debate with the NCC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_speed3108 View Post
That is a site that should go to about 25 floors at a minimum. It might even be cool to build the same size building just taller. This way a bit of space can be left around it. Sort like over at phase I with the fountain and such. We allow buildings to be constructed way too close to the street downtown and it ends up costing the city a small fortune in snow removal costs. Back them up from the street and leave so room. It also makes cool urban areas for outdoor patios and things in the summertime.
Here, I want to nuance something you're saying. Yes, it's great to have spaces for outdoor patios and yes, in all cases it's better to have wider sidewalks downtown. But to set back buildings for the sake of snow removal is a solution looking for a problem. In denser cities you can readily observe that the less "blacktop surface" there is, the less snow they need to remove. Wider streets, more snow. Narrower streets, less snow. It piles up higher but there is less of it, because more of it falls on rooftops.

In other words, if we plan setbacks for the sake of piling snowbanks, those setbacks will be covered in snow themselves and you'll end up with even taller snowbanks between the sidewalk and the building.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 3:46 PM

It's too bad that downtown Ottawa doesn't look spectacular from afar, but I really like the density we are building. As the surface lots and retarded downtown parks (tech school) slowly disappear I think downtown will develop into a really good downtown space. 17 stories is too small for that location, but in my mind, it just means 17 more stories worth of people who work downtown and may even want to move downtown to avoid a terrible 417 commute. At least it's getting built, hopefully they do something interesting or aesthetically pleasing.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 3:52 PM
Still optimistic

I just don't want any medium-density development west of Bank st.

And they MUST get a better name.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
Place de Ville III
Developer: Brookfield
Size: 500000 sqft
Web: Brookfield Developments
Will this thing actually get built? It's been on their website for at least two years now. Have they found any major tenants?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 5:47 PM
Awesome!

More mid-sized and not very inspiring boxes proposed, that's not a surprise. I certainly agree that this spot deserves much better then this - should be 2 25-30 story towers there instead.
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 6:23 PM
Closed account

For what it's worth, I read an article in the Ottawa Business Journal that was discussing green certification. It noted that both 300 Queen and 300 Sparks were supposed to be LEED-certified. Now, Phase 3 is just listed as 300 Queen, which is the 17 story tower, but 300 Sparks is listed in the article as an 18 story tower. I understand that it is presently the podium/arcade for Place de Ville? In any case, Brookfield didn't mention it on their site, so I figured it must be in the very early pre-development stages and would be a bit premature to discuss.

There seems to be an interesting dynamic in downtown Ottawa. The office market still seems to be moving away from downtown, which may make developers a little bit cautious despite the low vacancy rates. I don't expect that the fact that the federal government is the primary downtown tenant makes them any more bullish in their development plans.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 5:35 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor2Ott View Post
Will this thing actually get built? It's been on their website for at least two years now. Have they found any major tenants?
The city's put up new signs on the lot recently, so it looks like some progress is being made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak
Now, Phase 3 is just listed as 300 Queen, which is the 17 story tower, but 300 Sparks is listed in the article as an 18 story tower. I understand that it is presently the podium/arcade for Place de Ville? In any case, Brookfield didn't mention it on their site, so I figured it must be in the very early pre-development stages and would be a bit premature to discuss.
That would be a nice addition to the current wind tunnel they've got going there.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 10:14 PM
Still optimistic

They could place the towers in between place de ville III and the marriot hotel..

lots of space!!

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 12:37 AM
Gatinois et fier

i agree.a bit more height please.

GATINEAU-OTTAWA=1 485 000
gatinopolis.miniville.fr
gatinopolis.miniville.fr/ind

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 12:39 AM
Still optimistic

I really think that 300 qween should be a 35+ building (I have sketches for a 52).

And MIXED-USE!!!

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 12:42 AM
Gatinois et fier

35+?i think you ask for too much.this is Ottawa remember?

GATINEAU-OTTAWA=1 485 000
gatinopolis.miniville.fr
gatinopolis.miniville.fr/ind

Old Posted Jan 12, 2008, 7:11 PM
Still optimistic

The Land (500,000 sq.ft) is almost as big as the WTC site (750,00sq.ft)!

Last edited by Aylmer; Jan 12, 2008 at 8:40 PM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2008, 10:09 PM
you know my steez

500,000 sq ft is the estimated total rentable floor space of the development, not the size of the lot. Having just visited the WTC site I can attest that it's much, much, much larger (about 3 by 3 downtown Ottawa blocks or 18 times the size of this lot).

Old Posted Jan 12, 2008, 11:28 PM
Still optimistic

I thought the size was oddly large...

I know it's around 6?M X 5?M. Thats around 37,188 sq. ft..

Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 8:09 PM
Mooderator

It says here that the first tower of Phase 3 would be 20 storeys and 300,000 sq ft. (15,000 sq.ft per floor)

http://www.space4lease.com/main/prop...?uid=&q=3856|1

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 7:16 PM
Mooderator

I wonder with the new downtown tunnel in the picture, will Brookfield be revising its plans for this site? Maybe some underground retail? Taller building (not likely, but maybe we can dream)?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa