HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Suburbs

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 11:18 PM
It's Hammer Time

[Dundas] Amica at Dundas | ? | 6 fl | U/C

Rendering.....

Definitely one of my favourite developments in Dundas.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 1:58 AM
Closed account

dang! how about building one of those on King William Street downtown (but with trendier interior designs for younger folks).
awesome building.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 4:44 PM

The exterior is not finished yet, but so far it doesn't look very good. The bricks looks cheap and generic, many of them look like plain cement blocks (basically they are plain cement blocks). We'll see when it done, which should be soon. I'll post pics as soon as the exterior is finished.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2007, 2:58 PM

Amica gets uglier everyday. Other than the shape, it's not looking like the rendering at all. What an abomination! I'll take pictures soon so you can all judge for yourselves.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 5:11 PM
On Guard For Thee

I havent seen the place in person--but plain cement blocks aren't unusual--chances are they will be covered by some sort of facade or stucco.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 6:45 PM
Closed account

stucco?? in Hamiton??? hahaha NEVER

I'll take Flar's word for it... but I'm assuming they'd be putting brick up after the cement-block walls are up?

We'll just have to wait for the pics I guess.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 7:22 PM

They have the brick up, some of the bricks resemble cement blocks. My latest disgust is directed at the mansard style roof. The building would have been acceptable except the mansard roof is covered in dark brown corrugated aluminium roofing, exactly the same as you'd see on a barn. The shouldn't have cheaped out ont he roofing, it will cost $3000/mo and up to live there.

The roof is similar to this:

I'll take a picture sometime, but it gets dark too early at this time of year so I never get a chance.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 2:54 AM

Amica is nearing completion. Overall this is an interesting project:

The first thing I don't like is that these look too much like plain cement blocks

A closeup of some balconies:

the other thing I don't like is this cheap roofing, there's not that much of it so why didn't they splurge on something a little more distinctive. The same cladding can be found on strip malls and the like:

Perhaps another phase of this project will be built up against here, extending the streetwall:

A pedestrian's view:

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 11:35 AM
Hammer'd

Certainly looks like something else is going to be built there. Looks like theres even doorways to nowhere on each floor.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 1:32 PM
It's Hammer Time

I like it, creates a nice streetscape.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 2:28 PM
Closed account

very nice. sure, it could be better, but it's already WAY better than most of the new stuff built these days. Dundas is a cool little place.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 7:46 PM
Closed account

It's not as bad as I was expecting from your ealier comments, Flar.

The only thing I don't like is this

but if they're adding to it, then that's ok.
Damn those balconies are small, eh!? Wow. Don't take a full step, you'll end up on the street! haha

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 2:34 AM

I still think it's ugly.

This solidifies my opinion that architects should design buildings in today's styles instead of these faux-Victorian monstrosities.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2007, 12:44 AM

Used to live behind it in the Spencer Creek condos. Considering the whole block(4 condos, Amica and Day/Night pharmacy) was once industrial and had to be remediated, Dundas has done well. The mock up to Amica was much nicer though.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2007, 2:29 AM

I dont see any street level retail. Do you know if any businesses are planned for the building?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2007, 3:41 AM

^^That's another negative about this development. There is nothing along the street excpet the main entrance. The sides of the building along the sidewalk don't even have doors. The awning they're building is purely decorative and there will obviously be no street level retail. Just down the road a bit is the pharmacy/dollar store, which again has no street presence. The entrance is on the back. These buildings make a nice streetwall but it is not a functional streetwall.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2008, 11:11 AM
It's Hammer Time

Retire to a 'five-star resort'
Amica offers aging boomers pub, putting green, pedicures in 'antithesis of nursing home'

June 02, 2008
Meredith Macleod
The Hamilton Spectator

This retirement home is certainly putting a new shine on the golden years.

The recently opened Amica in Dundas, on Hatt Street, offers a fine-dining menu, concierge service, a pool, fitness room, a pub and games room, massage, manicures and pedicures, a large theatre, wireless Internet lounge and even a woodworking shop and kiln.

The furnishings and artwork are stylish and contemporary. In fact, the home's entryway looks very much like the lobby of a sleek hotel.

And a kitchen and dining room available for residents, who want to host dinners for guests or bake a batch of cookies, are worthy of a magazine spread.

It's part of a growing demand by boomers and seniors who want more out of life and aren't afraid to pay for it, said Roy Oostergo, vice-president of business development for Amica Mature Lifestyle.

"We've tried to create a business model based on a hospitality paradigm, rather than an institutional or health-care paradigm."

The posted menu this day illustrates the difference.

Dinner is cream of leek soup or roasted beet salad to start, a veal cutlet with mushroom sauce or sesame ginger chicken, and bread and butter pudding with whisky sauce.

A full bar list is available with dinner, or in the Crooks Hollow pub next door.

The games room features a pool table, shuffleboard and a baby grand piano. A sun room on the third floor overlooks a rooftop patio and a putting green down below.

Throughout the building, homage is paid to the history of Dundas. The six-storey structure is built on the site of the Bertram foundry, a landmark in the town.

Not surprisingly, none of this comes cheap.

Independent living suites range in price from $2,800 a month for a studio to $4,800 for a two-bedroom, two-bath; second occupants cost an additional $600.

Assisted living suites, with nursing, bathing, additional meals, laundry and housekeeping services, cost about $1,000 more a month.

Though the age range is typical of a seniors home -- 76 to 101 -- Susan Gerard, vice-president of marketing and communications for Amica, says it's "the total antithesis of a nursing home."

The best analogy, she says, is imagining "a cross between a cruise ship and a five-star resort."

There are 16 Amica retirement homes in British Columbia and Ontario, and nine in development.

The company was seriously looking at expansion into the United States, but current economic conditions will stall that for now, said Oostergo.

He expects two or three new projects will begin in the next year. The company will eye another location in the Hamilton/Burlington area once the Dundas home is at capacity, he said.

Brian Townend, general manager of the Amica at Dundas, predicts the 136 units will be full in about 18 months.

There are about 65 residents now and 30 on a waiting list trying to sell their houses.

The first residents moved in at the beginning of March. The official grand opening is Friday.

The Vancouver-based Amica, founded in 1995 by then-25-year-old real estate executive Samir Manji, went public in 1997.

The company was drawn to Dundas's bustling downtown and its natural amenities, says Oostergo.

Amica owns a 17 per cent equity interest in the building. It has partnered with the developers behind a quartet of geared to seniors condos across the street.

In addition to equity interests, the company generates revenue by charging property management fees through long-term leases on its residences.

With more than 10 million Canadians now aged 50-plus, and a growing demand for senior-geared living, analysts have praised Amica's model.

For 2007, the company reported cash flow of $8.6 million, which was up 41 per cent, and earnings (before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization) of about $2.1 million, up from break-even results the year before.

But in the fallout of the subprime meltdown, share prices have taken a battering, falling from a high of $12.35 last July to a close of $6.84 on Friday.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2008, 5:06 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC83 View Post
Damn those balconies are small, eh!? Wow. Don't take a full step, you'll end up on the street! haha
Small, and no shelter from the blazing sun. Who'd want to spend any time on these wretched little things? They're obviously just for decoration, which is too bad, because my grandmother and my husband's grandmother both had balconies in their retirement homes that were sheltered , and big enough to allow them to do some container gardening, which kept them both busy and happy.

Is there any space in this development for garden plots for the residents?

Old Posted Jun 2, 2008, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwater View Post

Is there any space in this development for garden plots for the residents?
I doubt it, though it's hard to tell right now because the areas surrounding the building are still littered with construction debris. The putting green is very small and squeezed in at the south part of the property right along the intersection of Ogilvie and whatever the new road is. I suspect much of the remaining space on the block will be used for new developments. There are currently 5 buildings and I think there will be 8 total on the site.

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 12:11 PM

hamilton news.com - Amica expansion awaits permit

By Craig Campbell, Dundas Star News

Site plan approval has been received for a 74-unit expansion of the Amica Mature Lifestyles retirement home at the corner of Hatt and Ogilvie streets in central Dundas.

Amica vice-president Michael Hayward confirmed last week the expansion will bring the facility’s existing 132 residential units up to a new total of 206-units.

“We received site plan approval in April, and are now beginning the planning and development process, leading up to a building permit application,” Hayward said. “The application should be submitted in the spring and, if all goes well, we hope to break ground on the expansion before the end of the year.”

He said the project includes a plan for 12 new surface, and 58 underground, parking spaces – but that parking scenario is subject to change during the ongoing development and permit process. That’s in addition to the existing 45 underground and eight surface spaces already provided.

The addition will be five storeys in height, and variances will be needed for balcony encroachment into the Hatt Street setback, City of Hamilton planning staff said.

According to the company’s 2013 Annual Report, the Amica at Dundas expansion is one of six key projects for the 2014 fiscal year.

“During the year ended May 31, 2013, the Company transferred $1,110,000 of land to development properties for the Amica at Dundas expansion project,” the report states. “To maximize the probability of success, most of our resources will be dedicated towards our 24 operating communities, the Amica at Oakville development, the expansions at Amica at Swan Lake and Amica at Dundas, and other internal growth opportunities.”

The existing building opened in March 2008.

Hayward said projecting a completion date for the 74-unit expansion would have to wait until building permit approval is finalized, but suggested “fiscal 2016” as a potential opening.

He said the addition will be similar to the existing building, with a variety of suite types including studio, one bedroom and two bedroom units.

“The plans for the expansion include updated features such as in-suite laundry and full kitchens,” Hayward said. “This will certainly be our finest building when it opens.”

He said there is a waiting list to rent a suite in the existing Amica at Dundas building.

“Those currently living in the community, or on our committed wait list, will have the first opportunity to move into the expansion when it is ready,” Hayward said.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Suburbs