HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Oct 17, 2007, 9:10 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Red face South Salt Lake to get a 25-story tower

Just got word that the tower will be 27-stories, not 25.

South Salt Lake could get a 27-story tower near 2100 South and Main Street along with other midrise buildings from 8-12 stories.

The proposed "Market Station" mixed use development would rise 27 stories over the city and include up to 850 housing units, pocket parks, a grocery story, fitness center, day care and restaurants.

Here is a link of KSL.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=1989439

Here is a link of Sltrib.com
http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_7200178

Rendering

From SLtrib.com

How cool is this?
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Last edited by SLC Projects; Dec 22, 2007 at 7:27 AM.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2007, 1:00 AM
Desert Dweller

That would be a great way to start spreading the downtown area south! Amazing.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2007, 1:52 PM

They're talking about 27 stories today. It seems to be growing. They could probably make it 50 stories and sell out easily. This would be a great location (though it doesn't help downtown). You'd be away from the city, but you could jump on TRAX and be downtown in minutes.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2007, 4:31 PM

Well, I guess I was a little off on my estimate!

Old Posted Oct 20, 2007, 9:26 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
Well, I guess I was a little off on my estimate!

You might of been a little bit off, but this is something far better then any of us could ever hope.

Also it looks like the tower could now be 27-stories vs only 25-stories a few days ago.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2007, 1:12 PM

OOOOOOOh, we have a thread on this now, oooops, I posted on the SLC thread. Oh well,

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxSprawler View Post
That would be a great way to start spreading the downtown area south! Amazing.
I agree with PhxSprawler, I like the idea of spreading out the feel of downtown south. I know a lot of us have complained in the past, especially about State Street and the lack of density between downtown and 21st south. This is going to encourage a lot more development in-between. This will also spur the development of 21st south between Main and Sugarhouse. This is very exciting news. It won't be long before we have another 'Urban-Vibrant' corridor along 21st. The Trolley up to Sugarhouse won't be far behind.

Projects, can you edit the thread to read 27 stories? LOL! Hey, every story counts.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2007, 9:07 PM

I like this development, although it reminds me of some pretty bleak housing in the area around Frankfurt... I like that it's a repurposing and better use of land that's already urban, and if it isn't blighted, it's a step away from it. It looks like it could be a nice area. I won't place any bets on the tower actually being built, but it'd be nice to see.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2007, 9:17 PM
Mr.Boisean

Awesome!

Old Posted Oct 21, 2007, 11:50 PM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sight-Seer View Post
They're talking about 27 stories today. It seems to be growing. They could probably make it 50 stories and sell out easily. This would be a great location (though it doesn't help downtown). You'd be away from the city, but you could jump on TRAX and be downtown in minutes.
I think the fact that it is only a couple of miles from the established "downtown" leaves hope for skyscrapers in between, and will help downtown in the long run. It is the leapfrog theory in an already high density area. Neat.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 11:18 AM

South Salt Lake Getting New Look, Residential housing is at heart of Market Station along with retail, transit hubs

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...220784,00.html

South Salt Lake leaders hope Market Station project will help spark redevelopment. ( Utopia Station Development Corporation And Ibi Group)

The "urban residential" Market Station will be located at 2100 South between Main and State. Construction starts in the spring [(Utopia Station Development Corporation And Ibi Group)

"It's going to be exactly what we need to create basically a new city,"...
On top of that, the development is centered around various transportation hubs. Both Interstate 15 and Interstate 80 feed into the project, as does a light-rail TRAX line. A proposed trolley line could run from the TRAX stop to Sugar House...

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 4:53 PM

The Deseret News article has more accurate information. The project manager (Dave Nicholas) states that the 27-story tower will be condominiums, not apartments. (Makes more sense IMO.)

This development has a lot of potential.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 7:12 PM
A before E

well in rendering form, that is a cool project. I hope the final built form of it turns out to be just as cool.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 9:43 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Notice those other buildings seem to be tall also. Like those two with the dark red roofs. What do you think?...around 10-stories?

This project is sooooo cool.

"Demolition for Market Station will begin this winter and construction will start in the spring" That's just around the corner.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 7:14 AM
Always running Late

I would bet that if this project doesn't become like the rendering it will be something similar and just as dense. Considering that area's history one might have a hard time seeing it, but you have to remember that if its sitting on a light rail or commuter rail line.. its going to become "a place to be"
that is the benefits to rail transit... We can try and make a place as dense as we can, but eventually without proper services and infrastructure you reach a plateau.. Salt Lake valley is bucking the trend by having this rail system..
the density of projects and their locations in the future will be surprising....
I really believe that... City leaders here in boise, namely the mayor realize this connection.. and are trying to get an early start for a city our size to accomplish this...
kudos to salt lake...

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 12:08 PM

I very much agree Boiseguy. I was pleasantly surprised this past week to talk with many people who are using the TRAX and bus system combination regularly, and these were people from Utah Valley. Also talked with many people from Davis and Weber, who are anxiously anticipating the soon-to-open commuter advent from the north. I think the trolley from Sugarhouse will come online much sooner now as a result of this project.
It is outrageous and scary that we are now looking at 100 dollar-a-barrel oil prices. Big changes in housing and our transportation mode are coming now, not later.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 11:01 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
I very much agree Boiseguy. I was pleasantly surprised this past week to talk with many people who are using the TRAX and bus system combination regularly, and these were people from Utah Valley. Also talked with many people from Davis and Weber, who are anxiously anticipating the soon-to-open commuter advent from the north. I think the trolley from Sugarhouse will come online much sooner now as a result of this project.
It is outrageous and scary that we are now looking at 100 dollar-a-barrel oil prices. Big changes in housing and our transportation mode are coming now, not later.

And this is why I enjoy the fact of living just outside of downtown Portland and only driving my car once a week for leisure. It is like a lottery when I go to the gas station once a month...is it going to be higher or lower today?

It is good to see transit taking off in SLC. I remember my mom talking about how good the bus system was there back when she went to a convention there in the late 90's, but then again, compare that to where we were living at the time in Virginia where a bus system was in shambles and in serious need of help.

Anyway, it is starting to sound like SLC is becoming the Portland for Utah...with a Mormon twist.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 11:18 PM

Indeed, TRAX (the light-rail system) has been a boon for SLC. IIRC, TRAX was modeled after/inspired by Portland's light-rail system.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 11:59 PM

Drove by this site today. What a great location. Close to the beautiful old South High campus and the county offices too.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 3:36 PM

Hmmm, the plans look nice and I think it would really be a boon for the area, but let's just say I'm somewhat skeptical. That Central point mixed use project (across the street and developed by the same company) sold out the condos quickly but the streetfront retail is entirely vacant (at least it was a little while ago when I last noticed).
Well on second thought, that is probably why they are making this development residential oriented with just enough retail to support the residents. It's not a shopping destination, and with as many apartments and condos as they are putting in it will create its own demand for some retail. So I guess I'll instead say that I have reserved optimism for this project.

I hope it works out and we see it get going soon. But this doesn't change my mind about SSL needing to be annexed into SLC.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 6:20 PM

Agreed SLCforme, I would definately like to see So. Salt Lake annexed into SLC. too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West