HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 3:04 AM

Edmonton-Nisku-QE II freeway plans

Hey everyone, just stumbled on a PDF from Alberta Transportation...they are in plans for this a/n corridor and here is a proposal of one of the interchanges of QEII and a newly proposed E/W freeway just north of the Airport....

This would be very timely considering the new CPR intermodal etc...

http://www.infratrans.gov.ab.ca/INFT...II-BOARD-1.pdf

Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 3:17 AM

it's a start

Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 3:37 AM

Planning Schedule Extended now ongoing to past Leduc - Highway 2ALets pray for (1) more lanes, (2) a proper overpass at airport (3) lighting!!!!!!!!!!

Planning extension:
http://www.infratrans.gov.ab.ca/INFT...D-progress.pdf

project Website:
http://www.infratrans.gov.ab.ca/INFT...on/qe2plan.htm

Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 3:39 AM

How about extending it into the City aka free flow to Downtown!

Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhatdan View Post
How about extending it into the City aka free flow to Downtown!

we might have an interchange on 34 ave by 2050 at this rate

Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 6:12 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Looks pretty cool - would definitely make the approach to Edmonton from the south (as most do) feel more "big time".
I'm not sure what the need for the east-west freeway is exactly. How far east and west would it run ?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 6:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Looks pretty cool - would definitely make the approach to Edmonton from the south (as most do) feel more "big time".
I'm not sure what the need for the east-west freeway is exactly. How far east and west would it run ?
My understanding is it would be the next ring road.
This interchange isn't any bigger than Anthony Henday and Gateway is it?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 6:34 AM
Urban Advocate

/\ I think that plan is LOOONG term... as in 25 years out. It's part of the even greater ring-road plan if I am not mistaken. (aka, ring-road #2)
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 2:57 PM
That's no excuse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhatdan View Post
My understanding is it would be the next ring road.
This interchange isn't any bigger than Anthony Henday and Gateway is it?
The QEII/ring road 2 interchange is considerably more complex than the AH/Gateway interchange in that the diagram depicts the QEII having main lanes and feeder lanes - both connecting to ring road 2 - and even a third set of lanes at the cloverleaf. Deluxe 401 kinda stuff. That'll be decades from now.

But we heard a short time ago that the 41 Avenue SW interchange would be developed in the near future as part of a federal transportation program.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 3:15 PM
Urban Advocate

/\ you are correct. It will all be part of the new Intermodel site there.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 4:03 PM

Wow, looks like there will be some major road realignment - no wonder they arent jumping on lighting the existing highway!

Looks like Gateway Park will disappear, too. Which is probably ok, because it isnt in the greatest spot at the moment (from a traffic movement perspective, anyways!)

Old Posted Jun 21, 2007, 3:03 AM

I'm curious why they've reserved all the R/W for a collector-distributor style highway all these years, only to realign the highway in these study plans. Wouldn't it make more sense to demolish gateway park and run express lanes down the existing median?

In case anyone's curious about what the "outer" ring road might look like, here's the most recent recommendation made by Alberta Transportation:

http://www.altaroads.ca/ERRRCS-Recommendation.pdf

Old Posted Jun 21, 2007, 4:01 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0773|=\ View Post
I'm curious why they've reserved all the R/W for a collector-distributor style highway all these years, only to realign the highway in these study plans. Wouldn't it make more sense to demolish gateway park and run express lanes down the existing median?

In case anyone's curious about what the "outer" ring road might look like, here's the most recent recommendation made by Alberta Transportation:

http://www.altaroads.ca/ERRRCS-Recommendation.pdf
Thanks for the link. I think the southern portion would be better if they moved it further south to give the airport quick access to it. It could also incorporate highway 60 as it's already twinned is it not ? Just my opinion - I guess they have to build it where they have the 'right-of-way'.
This is the first I've heard of an 'outer' ring road. Doesn't the city want an 'inner' ring road as well - Whitemud-170st-Yellowhead- 50st? on the east.
I'll search the link but does anyone know if there is an 'outer' ring road planned for Calgary too ?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2007, 2:16 PM
Change is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Thanks for the link. I think the southern portion would be better if they moved it further south to give the airport quick access to it. It could also incorporate highway 60 as it's already twinned is it not ? Just my opinion - I guess they have to build it where they have the 'right-of-way'.
This is the first I've heard of an 'outer' ring road. Doesn't the city want an 'inner' ring road as well - Whitemud-170st-Yellowhead- 50st? on the east.
I'll search the link but does anyone know if there is an 'outer' ring road planned for Calgary too ?
I don't really think the inner ring road needs to be done. Whitemud is good enough as it is (once they re-engineer that tewillegar / fox drive area to 3 lanes...change the ramps) Yellowhead should be finished so that there are no more lights...
A major north south freeway should be built, but it should go through the middle through downtown...

170st/50st should be left as they are... theres no real way to fix them anyways...(without lots of cash)

Old Posted Jun 21, 2007, 3:41 PM
Urban Advocate

but a N/S DT-centered freeway wouldn't cost a ton??? I see the logic o your statement, but it would be bloody expensive no matter how you look at it.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2007, 4:08 PM
Community Guy

we definately need a better inner ring road....75st needs to be 6 lanes from whitemud to yellowhead, but that is going to be difficult now.

170st needs to be more free flowing, as does yellowhead.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 21, 2007, 4:44 PM
Change is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
we definately need a better inner ring road....75st needs to be 6 lanes from whitemud to yellowhead, but that is going to be difficult now.

170st needs to be more free flowing, as does yellowhead.
I think a n/s route between 97 st (hwy28) in the north and Calgary Trail (hwy 2) in the south should be completed, including a new bridge over the river, before we work anymore on 170st and 50st...

170st isnt even hwy 2 anymore, as AHD has taken over that.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2007, 10:34 PM
Urbis Maximus

We don't need a north-south FREEWAY into downtown. Calgary doesn't have a north-south freeway neither does Vancouver and they are doing fine. What we do need is a new and improved river crossing, improved / reduced direct access to Gateway to improve freeflow. That's it.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2007, 10:49 PM
Change is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMD UW View Post
We don't need a north-south FREEWAY into downtown. Calgary doesn't have a north-south freeway neither does Vancouver and they are doing fine. What we do need is a new and improved river crossing, improved / reduced direct access to Gateway to improve freeflow. That's it.
and thats exactly what I'm talking about..

Not a full fledged freeway...but reduced direct access... less lights...and a new bridge... this is required before 75th/50th and/or 170st and I dont think those 3 need much improvements ... IMO.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2007, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMD UW View Post
I'm talking about some sort of improvement to the flow for maybe 2 lanes...express lanes and then dipping down before Whyte and popping out onto a new bridge. THATS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton