HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 3:04 AM

Random Pictures of Phoenix + commentary

Chateaux on Central has stopped construction. I imagine this will be a temporary setback until a new owner emerges. But it's a useful reminder how real-estate can be risky.

The Lath House is being relathed (?). Anxious couples wanting a nice place to get married probably will have to wait a couple more months.

Here's a model of Artisan Haus inside the sales trailer on Central. I thought the project was dead but it's actually on life-support. Engle Homes has decided to reduce the units from 80 to 48, raise the ceiling height to 12 feet, take out one floor, and remove the underground parking. Unfortunately, they have yet to sell one unit.

215 E McKinley is topping out. This is one project where the actual building looks better than the rendering.

Matt Pool's new tavern, The Roosevelt is days away from opening. The New Times had an in-depth report of his travails with city bureaucrats. It looks great with the old Queen Anne bungalow appearing ideal for some lazy beer drinking. But parking? You're on your own.

The aquamarine building is the Biomedical Collaborative, or something, attached to the new medical school. Love the color.

Peaked into the big pit where Phase II of the convention center is going. Stuff is happening.

111 Monroe's recladding is done on the west side. The matte-gray sheaths look very textured in that overlapping style. The fiber-optic lighting should be spectacular (fingers crossed). The elevator core is now being prepped.

This eyesore is going to be a yoga studio. They've rehabbed and cleaned it up nicely. This is one of those positive signs that downtown is actually beginning to generate new, upscale businesses on its own. It's a small step but it's exciting too.

This lovely Willo bungalow is home to a local celebrity. Guess who?

Tapestry on Central's Phase III, the Central Avenue building is almost done. Ground-floor retail space is for lease. So far, no tenants that I know of. There are a huge number of units for sale in this complex, mostly investor-owned. The last phase on the Encanto side is apparently all owned by the builder. When those units get done (it looks like about 6 months), there'll be a glut.

This water feature, a water curtain as it were, is at the new entrance to the art museum. It muffles the traffic noise on Central, and it does it beautifully.

Here you see the Diocesan center, a modern building that could almost be misaken for a motel with the backdrop of cranes constructing the city-owned Sheraton Hotel.

Light-rail construction at 3rd Avenue and Camelback. Here the tracks take a broad swooping curve to Central, leaving a whole lot of space for Park 'n Ride.

44 Monroe, the 34 story condo tower downtown, is now rising above its parking podium. The recessed floors are all residential. The floor plates reduce by about 40% here, so this building should really start going vertical now.

The Century Plaza condo conversion is now de-skinned on its backside. Construction is now full bore.

The folks who brought you The Coronado Cafe, one of the most romantic restaurants in Phoenix, now operate this Heritage Square (the Silva House) restaurant, Circa 1900. It's even MORE romantic. Downtown's culinary renaissance over the past few years has been remarkable.

The Summit at Copper Square is up to the 19th floor with three remaining. I'm surprised how tall it looks. Work is speeding along, with insulation now being applied to the lower floors.

I wish I knew the story behind this piece of vernacular architecture. It's a house at 3rd St and Columbus, and seems almost like a Woodstock House in its handcrafted homeliness. I hesitate to call this thing a treasure, but it's certainly sui generis. May the gods preserve it.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 3:33 AM

Nice pictures, thanks for the lesser-known/less-photographed stuff.

The local celeb is... Talton? And is that house really in Willo? (if so, where) Looks more like a Roosevelt/Story bungalow.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 3:40 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
^If its Talton Im going to be disappointed, he doesn't count as a celeb....Ill guess Alice Cooper.

Great pictures, but sad to hear how everything is having a hard time selling, being scaled back, etc etc. Its because the prices are too high, people could take the same amount of money, get a place in Scottsdale, thats a bit bigger and has a much better image (not saying I'd want to, but 9/10 would).

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 3:43 AM

It is Talton. But it's in Willo. When Talton bought it in the late 90s, it was the priciest house ever sold there, around $450,000. It had been gutted and the attic turned into livable space. I toured it at the time, and it was a great remodel.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 4:21 AM

Soleri-
You rock! I live for these kinds of posts!

You're always good for a lesson or two of things I did not know previously...
I couldn't find Matt Pool's new tavern so I'm glad you posted it.
I sure hope Artisan haus will come to life- I love all the character along Central right now...
Talton may not be a main stream celebrity but he is a legend!
How cool that he practices what he preaches!

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 5:29 AM
them bones

This thread would have been wonderful to see in City Photos. I know why there aren't many Phoenix threads over there, but I think it would have gone over well.

Not that I've ever really agreed with the architecture of Chateaux on Central anyway (but it does look like they are indeed using quality materials), does anyone else find the proportioning on those mansards to be highly disturbing? The proportioning of the entire facade appears just a bit too vertical. It's one of the main beefs I have with this type of revisionist stuff...they never get the proportions right. If you knocked about 9-12" out of each floor... (then again you couldn't tout those high ceilings!)

It's really nice to see photos of some of the smaller scale changes down there. They happen to be much more important in the grand scheme of things than the mega-projects.

BTW, what's a typical unit size and price in Tapestry go for? Just curious.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 5:33 AM

Thanks Soleri ... what a great mix of pix! When I was DT over Thanksgiving I went by the Lathe House and thought it was being dismantled for some reason. I'm glad that it's a refurb as I've always liked that space in Heritage Square. The art museum expansion intrigues me. Next time I'm in Phoenix, I need to plan a trip there. I have fond memories of it as a kid and the last time I was there was a few years ago for the Ancient Egypt exhibit, which was incredible.

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery to the Phoenix real estate market and a pique in urban housing interest.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 5:41 AM

Great photos and information Soleri, as always.

I can't wait until 44 Monroe goes higher by a few stories. I looks like it will be quite slender, which will make it look even taller.

Summit at Copper Square also looks great from that angle, very tall as you noted.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 10:32 AM

Great pictures, Soleri.

Circa 1900 is a fantastic new place.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 12:41 PM

What are the X streets of Matt Pools "Roosevelt" and does it have a website? Im having trouble finding much info about it online.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 2:33 PM

3rd St between garfield and mckinley

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 3:35 PM
InfillJunkie

That Lathe House is awesome... Great pics and commentary Soleri!

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 5:07 PM

/\ Actually what you think is awesome is really the Rosson House. The lathe house is behind the Rosson House and is some sort of open air yet surrounded/enclosed wood meeting and staging and recreation area.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 9:35 PM
Now in North Loop!

Well done Soleri!

Anyone know when The Roosevelt opens? I'm wanting to really check that out and grab a drink ... and give Matt Pool LOTS of business.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 11:17 PM
Kodachrome

WOW... lots of great projects.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2006, 1:01 AM

Not really related, since the pictures don't show it but...

damn I've never seen the smog so bad as it was today. I went downtown from NE Phoenix, coming south on the 51, coming around Squaw Peak, I could only see the top of the South Mountain range. Its supposed to rain Sunday, so hopefully that'll knock some of it out of here.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2006, 2:59 AM

Thanks for the pics!

"Eyesore" doesn't even cut it for that yoga studio building. It is pathetic that there are crappy single-story buildings like that downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
This thread would have been wonderful to see in City Photos. I know why there aren't many Phoenix threads over there, but I think it would have gone over well.
I didn't post my last thread in City Photos because I didn't want to be inundated with comments about the presence of parking and the lack of pedestrian activity. Plus, I think a lot of the Phoenix people never venture outside this Mountain West subforum, so posting here meant it was seen by more of the people who'd most want to see it.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2006, 6:14 AM

^ Right.

Granted there are definite exceptions, but for the most part I don't always think it's necessary to post 'any and all' pictures of Phoenix in City Photos. Not usually worth it. Even when complimenting, everyone's still eerily polite in doing so.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2006, 8:12 AM
Desert Urbanite

Soleri, awesome pictures!!! I still remember the Roosevelt Neighborhood thread you did last year that was equally superb. Very nice photos, and a nice thought-out commentary with it. Keep it up!

-Andrew

Old Posted Dec 23, 2006, 9:31 AM
Now in North Loop!

Just an update on The Roosevelt. I drove by tonight, and its STILL was not open. I wonder what kind of grief the City of PHX is giving Matt Pool now. On a related note, that location is absolutely fantastic!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest