HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 26, 2019, 2:44 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
I know nothing about how this all works but is it really "murder" if you punch someone and they happen to die from it? If everyone who got punched in the face died, murder numbers would be in the 1000s, and a fight with punches thrown could be called attempted murder.

But wow that is just a shitty situation all around. Don't know the people but to think they're leading their normal suburban lives and an escalated neighbour dispute ends in death for one and jail time for the other.
In my uncle's case, it was argued down to "negligence causing death", because the person who punched (a bar bouncer) didn't bother to call an ambulance for him, just left him in a snow bank.

And he was later found not guilty because our justice system.

On topic, Thunder Bay's homicide rate is still at whichever number it was last time I posted about it, but the mayor says its just media being unfair to Thunder Bay because every city has murders so we shouldn't talk about ours.

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 12:45 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Sorry to hear, vid...

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
I know nothing about how this all works but is it really "murder" if you punch someone and they happen to die from it? If everyone who got punched in the face died, murder numbers would be in the 1000s, and a fight with punches thrown could be called attempted murder.

But wow that is just a shitty situation all around. Don't know the people but to think they're leading their normal suburban lives and an escalated neighbour dispute ends in death for one and jail time for the other.
It came out in the news later that the victim was a notorious neighbourhood agitator who liked provoking and arguing with his neighbours. Apparently he shoved the younger guy, who then reacted by punching him.

I'm not saying that the punch was justified, but if you get your jollies by pissing people off, it could end up being hazardous to your health...

But that said, I don't think there are thousands of fistfights leading to deaths. They are still pretty rare events although they do happen occasionally... there have been examples of bouncer/patron tussles leading to deaths around here along the lines of what happened to vid's uncle, as well as bar-room fights that have led to unintended deaths.

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 4:12 PM

Winnipeg now at 19. (3 separate homicides the past weekend)

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...dent-1.5150928

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor204 View Post
Winnipeg now at 19. (3 separate homicides the past weekend)

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...dent-1.5150928
At the rate things are going we will have exceeded last year's amount by Canada Day

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 1:11 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I'm not saying that the punch was justified
That's good, because the kid would likely have committed first degree murder if he felt it was.

In Thunder Bay, a lot of racist apologists tried to argue that this kid was "justified" in assaulting a woman (who later died from injuries sustained in the assault) because she had (allegedly) assault him earlier in the week.

However, that would mean that he likely planned to carry a weapon with him, and purposefully sought out the individual to kill them. First degree murder, not second, which is what he was eventually charged with.

Throws the racists heads for a fucking loop when I explain this to them. In their mind, it's not first degree murder to seek out and kill native people. Except when you walk them through it, they realize it is.

Then they change the subject and never bring up anything related to racism or natives when they're near me again, it's fucking awesome. I wield power.

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 3:14 PM

Ottawa now at 8. 24 year old man found shot and later died in hospital.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...gton-1.5152299

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 5:38 AM

Of Toronto's 24 homicide victims so far this year, 19 were male. Of the 12 identified suspects of these homicides, all 12 are/were male. 79% and 100% ratios so far.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 11:58 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
Of Toronto's 24 homicide victims so far this year, 19 were male. Of the 12 identified suspects of these homicides, all 12 are/were male. 79% and 100% ratios so far.
fascinating. will you be highlighting any other 'demographic trends' Doady?

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 4:33 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

The number of murders hasn't gone up much but Ottawa's going through a rough patch right now with shootings or stabbings or both being reported every single day it seems.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 9:22 PM
Moran supreme

Another 2 in Calgary .

Old Posted Jun 1, 2019, 1:20 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomad View Post

It's hard to talk about but it's true. So, technomad, what do we do about it? What is the solution to this?

Be as clear and candid as possible, none of this Petersonian "you have to read all 579 of my posts to understand any sentence I write" bullshit.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2019, 1:21 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomad View Post

Alternatively: "My god! Over 4% of Toronto murderers are red cars!" And 4% is, I believe, your chief of police himself? For more anti-cop rhetoric see "It would say 'no images found' if all the victims were gay."

Old Posted Jun 1, 2019, 3:13 PM
Moran supreme

And yet another one in Calgary, son strangled his Mom and then jumps to his death off of a bridge on Stoney Trail in the NW. The two previous were found dad in a car on the side of the road on Stoney Trail. The two before that sound like another murder suicide (didn't post that one up). Anyhow, that's 8 homicides in the past two and a half weeks, not something we're used to seeing in Calgary.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2019, 7:10 PM

London is currently at 3 which, by most standards, is still low for 405,000k but above average for London.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2019, 11:40 PM
BANNED

Winnipeg hits 20!

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 2:22 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Winnipeg hits 20!
You sound excited and happy to make this announcement.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 3:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
You sound excited and happy to make this announcement.
Exactly the response I expected from you! It's a stat. right, can't change it, deal with it!

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 3:24 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Exactly the response I expected from you! It's a stat. right, can't change it, deal with it!
Indeed that's true, but the use of an exclamation mark comes across as a bit odd. Unless you want to explain further as to why it's there.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 3:56 PM

Probably just gallows humour.

Winnipeg was in a super gritty and rough phase in the late 90s and early 00s when crime was relatively high. Apart from the occasional spike, the murder count settled down for a while after that surge, but it has just exploded this year. While I don't think that most people have much to fear, I would say that there is a somewhat more menacing vibe on the streets that reminds me a bit of the "bad old days" some 20-odd years ago. More petty crime, more (drug-fueled) disorderly conduct, etc. It's a little alarming.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada