HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 8:27 PM
BANNED

It's amazing to think that 42nd St not that long ago was a dump. Does anyone remember the disgusting flea market on 42nd and Fifth where the CIT building is now? Ten years ago, no prestigious firm would locate below 50th St.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 10:42 PM

This building has to be the best looking supertall to go up in years. No excuses, considering it's sandwiched between two New York icons. I hope the crown is a few hundred feet. Over 1700ft....come on lets go!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 4:09 AM
New Yorker for life

^ The location alone, next to the Chrysler Building (it's surrounded on all sides by official landmarks), demands that this be a design New York can be proud of.

But beyond this tower, what I would like to see eventually happen, is the further build-out of midtown east. We know that the Roosevelt Hotel will eventually hold a new development, but I would also like to see 237 Park get its build. That way, those two developments can bookend Grand Central along with Vanderbilt and Hyatt. It was once on track for new development, maybe down the line it can be revived, especially with the new rezoning.

A throwback...

https://nypost.com/2001/05/15/new-sk...-237-park-ave/

NEW SKYSCRAPER SLATED FOR 237 PARK AVE.

By Lois Weiss
May 15, 2001

Quote:
A dramatic new glass office tower is being planned for Park Avenue, The Post has learned.

The 50-story skyscraper, designed by Skidmore Ownings Merrill, would be built by Max Capital on and around the current 21-story 237 Park Ave.

Skidmore most recently designed the AOL Time Warner Center and the Farley Post Office Penn Station project, and did a renovation for Max Capital at 360 Madison Ave.

The Park Avenue development is feasible because Max Capital owns the neighboring Helmsley Building, and the site is zoned so larger buildings can be constructed with city permission.

“They already own a million square feet of air rights,” said one real estate source.
Quote:
At the end of 1999, Max Capital purchased the 1.1 million square footer, also known as Park Avenue Atrium, for $372 million.

At the time, they figured out there was money to be made out of thin air.

The company, chaired by N. Richard Kalikow, boasts Robert M. Bass as a quiet investor. They already owned the Helmsley Building, the landmark office giant to its west and it was the ownership of both buildings that provided the key for the new plans.

They had purchased the 1.52 million-square-foot Helmsley Building from Leona Helmsley in August 1998 for $253 million, and it will now contribute some air rights.

Between the two properties, however, sits a long demapped street that will also add to the total.

The white 237 Park Ave. was developed by Olympia & York and designed by Edward Durell Stone & Associates – the architect of the controversial 2 Columbus Circle/Huntington Hartford Museum that will soon be sold by New York City for redevelopment.

Other sources said Max Capital is working with lawyer Bob Davis of Robinson, Silverman to prepare a proposal for City Planning. Davis did not return calls for comment. That filing would start the Uniform Land Use review process, which is necessary to get the approvals to build the tower.

Maybe somewhere down the road, a redevelopment of 237 will join the ranks of the new eastside towers...

https://rxrrealty.com/details/parkave237

https://marmiegraniti.it/project/237-park-avenue/

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 12:10 PM

A vision of the future Grand Hyatt Tower

From adribelin on forum.newyorkyimby.com

The Building specs, it is virtually 1491ft / 454,5 meters high and it has 92 floors.

and much more on the site ... http://forum.newyorkyimby.com/t/new-...floors/4781/65

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 1:26 PM
Show me the blueprints

Yes but does the tip open up and shoot a laser into space ???

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 2:36 PM

I was waiting for +1800ft tower , i am disappointed , i hope they will increase the height of this building to make it as a singature building in midtown !!!
I noticed that the architectural is awesome!!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
^ The location alone, next to the Chrysler Building (it's surrounded on all sides by official landmarks), demands that this be a design New York can be proud of.

But beyond this tower, what I would like to see eventually happen, is the further build-out of midtown east.
I'd also like the future port authority bus terminal site and manhattan hotel site to get supertalls 1500ft+ to even the skyline out a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky88 View Post
A vision of the future Grand Hyatt Tower
Very Dubai and doesn't really fit into the area well. Though I expect a Shard like tower to get us to 2000ft and beyond at some point as it's the easiest way of doing so.

Though isn't the Manhattan height restriction just under 2000ft?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faridnyc View Post
I was waiting for +1800ft tower , i am disappointed , i hope they will increase the height of this building to make it as a singature building in midtown !!!
This is a pure concept, a vision and nothing more. I don't think that a + 1800ft tower will be built here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHigher View Post
The FAA has set the limit at 2000ft and not below.

Yes, 237 Park Avenue might be a good site for a 1,500ft tower.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 1:25 AM
BANNED

If this is going to be 800,000 sf bigger than 1 Vandy on a similarly sized plot, this should be enormous!

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 11:04 AM

I still wish Vanderbilt was taller. Extend the crown & spire up to around 1600' and it would start to challenge the ESB for iconic status IMO.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 4:26 PM
New Yorker for life

A design in the form of the tower in that rendering would have to be taller to fit the volume they are planning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faridnyc View Post
I was waiting for +1800ft tower , i am disappointed!
We haven't seen anything yet. And you probably will not get 1,800 ft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHigher View Post
I'd also like the future port authority bus terminal site and manhattan hotel site to get supertalls 1500ft+ to even the skyline out a bit.

jThere are no height restrictions in Midtown, but the FAA would definitely need to approve anything above 2,000 ft. The FAA generally reviews every building that is being built. Manhattan is restricted air space for flights. The WTC planning at one time was calling for a 2,100 ft tower, later reduced to 2,000 ft.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 4:38 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
We haven't seen anything yet. And you probably will not get 1,800 ft.
I agree he may be getting his hopes a bit high but it could all depend on vanity height. 1 Vanderbilt is 1400 feet high (1300 w/o spire) and due to high ceilings and a lot of vanity height managed to be well above average for its respective SF.

If this building is the same, with nearly a MSF more than 1V, proportionally it could hit 1800.

Nothing wrong with a new tallest

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 5:12 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
I agree he may be getting his hopes a bit high but it could all depend on vanity height. 1 Vanderbilt is 1400 feet high (1300 w/o spire) and due to high ceilings and a lot of vanity height managed to be well above average for its respective SF.

If this building is the same, with nearly a MSF more than 1V, proportionally it could hit 1800.

Nothing wrong with a new tallest

I know that it could hit 1,800 ft. It could hit 2,000 ft. I'm just saying not to expect that. I'm expecting a tower taller than Vanderbilt, just on what they are building. Beyond that', it's a guess exactly how tall it will be. Will I be disappointed with a tower of 1,600 ft. Of course not. Would I be happy with a 2,000 ft tower? Of course.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 4:22 AM
New Yorker for life

Things aren't really looking good for the hotel reopening. Good news on the pandemic front, but the time it would take to get things back up to occupancy, we'd be looking at the scheduled closure.

Anyway, a walk around the area, a look at some neighbors as we await more design details...

NOVEMBER 16, 2020

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 10:47 PM
New Yorker for life

This should be good.....CB5 meeting

https://www.cb5.org/cb5m/calendar/2020-december/

Quote:
LAND USE, HOUSING & ZONING

Wednesday, December 2nd, 2020, at 6:00pm

Video Conference
https://bit.ly/2UpfsZ7

Layla Law-Gisiko, Chair

Presentation of the Grand Hyatt redevelopment project.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 10:54 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 2:52 PM

Well, so we can see what this new tower will look like. I am really curious.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 5:23 PM
New Yorker for life

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/planning...modore-eas.pdf

1,646feet!!!!!

I cant go through the documents right now, but that's the height!

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 5:38 PM

NY is getting taller and taller! Lest hope this pull through with best case scenario height, kinda shaped like the unfinished Metropolitan North Tower, just imagine a stone super-tall which is unlikely, but one could only dream

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 5:45 PM
New Yorker for life

I'll have to read and look at the specifics later. But there will be about 83 floors. It will take a while to build. But a few more details of this 3 msf proposal...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals