HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 22, 2023, 4:44 PM

Highland Row - Planned Development

https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=

Address: 2903 S Highland Drive

Basics: 20 townhouse units on 0.53 acres.

Additional Renderings:

Elevations:

Old Posted Jul 22, 2023, 9:00 PM

Looks like construction has started on the redevelopment project at the NW corner of 5th South and 7th East. I believe the project is called Trolley North?

Old Posted Jul 22, 2023, 10:59 PM

It looks like work may have began on the South Temple Apartments at 348 S Temple. It appeared that a lot of landscape/parking lot was being ripped up around the building. Apparently "it shall contain a number of unique amenities, including a bowling alley, golf simulator, and cafe" - I hope the cafe makes use of what would be a beautiful outdoor seating area in the midcentury modern structure

Old Posted Jul 23, 2023, 2:04 AM

150 S Main in trouble?

Since we were talking about 150 S Main, I thought I would go back and check. Based on the Design Review filing, Hines filed for an extension of their approval at the May 25, 2022 Planning Commission Meeting, which extended their Design Review approval for the tower to July 15, 2023.

See extension request memo from 2022: http://www.slcdocs.com/Planning/Plan...05-25-2022.pdf

However, I can't find anything indicating that Hines has filed an extension request beyond that. Unless I'm wrong (please correct me if I am), That would mean the Design Review approval expired on July 15, 2023 (last Saturday).

Since Hines had done an extension before, I don't think this is something they would overlook.

Again, if I missed the extension request somewhere please let us know.

If they really didn't file for an extension, than their approval has expired and they would have to go through the Design Review process again.

This is starting to make me think Hines intends to back out. It's easier to go through an extension request than it is to go through the design review again and open up the public debate (which didn't go too well last time). If Hines was still thinking about it or just waiting for interest rates to fall than they would likely have just filed the extension again like last year.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Blah_Amazing; Jul 23, 2023 at 2:14 AM.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2023, 8:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
Since we were talking about 150 S Main, I thought I would go back and check. Based on the Design Review filing, Hines filed for an extension of their approval at the May 25, 2022 Planning Commission Meeting, which extended their Design Review approval for the tower to July 15, 2023.

See extension request memo from 2022: http://www.slcdocs.com/Planning/Plan...05-25-2022.pdf

Thoughts?
I didn't dig deep but it seems Hines is under the impression they would have until July 26, 2023 as they believe the approval started once the 10-day appeal period following the approval was over. The city's approval seems to make clear that they are using the July 15, 2023 date, but they also say "Planning staff is recommending that the requested one-year time extension for this project be granted" so I am a bit unclear - but I guess we will find out if they file anything this week

Interesting that Hines cites 80 days of delay due to opposing parties filing an appeal against the design review approval. "Due to the ongoing legal action, the Project Owner was unable to proceed with the necessary design processes from July 26th, 2021, until October 14th, 2021."

Old Posted Jul 23, 2023, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockies View Post
I didn't dig deep but it seems Hines is under the impression they would have until July 26, 2023 as they believe the approval started once the 10-day appeal period following the approval was over. The city's approval seems to make clear that they are using the July 15, 2023 date
My take on this is that it really doesn't matter what Hines thought. Their Design Review approval expired on the 15th. If they intend to go forward with the project, they would have to file a new Design Review. This isn't unheard of. The next planning commission meeting has the project replacing the Office Max on 400 S back after letting their Design Review expire last year. However, that project was far less contentious compared to this one and you'd think Hines would simply want a quick vote for extension rather than another public debate.

This should be a lesson for any other developers on here. If you have a project that was approved by Design Review that is approaching it's expiration: its easier to just file an extension. Even if you aren't sure if you will still build the project. File a month or so in advance of expiration even. Never leave things until the last day.

Quote:
but they also say "Planning staff is recommending that the requested one-year time extension for this project be granted" so I am a bit unclear - but I guess we will find out if they file anything this week
I think this is just the verbiage they use indicating that the Planning Department supports the extension from May 2022 to June 15, 2023.

Quote:
Interesting that Hines cites 80 days of delay due to opposing parties filing an appeal against the design review approval. "Due to the ongoing legal action, the Project Owner was unable to proceed with the necessary design processes from July 26th, 2021, until October 14th, 2021."
Yes, I think its clear the Save the Pantages lawsuits were responsible for the delays. It's likely that if Valentine and his 'followers' hadn't fought the project, 150 S Main (Main Street Apartments) would likely be at a similar completion status as Astra right now.

Instead we may very well have a blank piece of land for several years until interest rates go back down. I'm hoping that's not the case and that Hines really does intend to build the project. However, indicators are that Hines has, at the very least, dropped the ball on the project.

One could argue that it was 'worth trying' and 'worth fighting.' But was it? At the end of the day, the theater is still gone. Now, there may very well be nothing to show for it - at least for quite a while. All the excuses in the world won't change that.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2023, 6:40 PM

The June - project cancelled

The property for the formerly proposed 'The June' project is up for sale via loopnet.

The project, located at 636 S 300 W, is now likely cancelled.
It was to be developed by C.W. Urban and would have been 7 floors tall and had 102 residential units.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2023, 10:01 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Kinda looks like they are prepping to rip down RWP. Have any permits been filed for phase 2 of that block? Also, any update on the Greek Orthodox property?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2023, 10:20 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Does anyone know what the deal is with the ugly billboards along 500&600 south.

I could swear there was news some years ago about the city having a plan to eliminate those and clean up the two streets. What ever happened with that.

It’s a real shame because the new apartments being built are actually really cool lookin, especially on the 600s side… but instead of seeing that when you are exiting the freeway and entering downtown, it’s blocked by an ugly billboard. Then there is a huge billboard on 300w that looks like it completely blocks apartment windows on 300W. It just looks ridiculous. and the billboards are trashy.

Do the people who own these billboards seriously own a couple hundred square feet of land right there? I can’t imagine the developers want those trashy looking billboards there… or are they just waiting for leases to expire. I don’t get it.

I do think the city should use eminent domain or what ever they can to get rid of the billboards on 5th & 6th… that's where a lot of people enter an exit our city. Do we really want to leave them with that kind of first and or last impression&

Haha I hate to say it. But with everything going on down north Temple, that might actually be the nicest way to enter the city 5-10 years from now… it was a complete dumpster fire (literally) just a few years ago.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2023, 11:16 PM
Space Magi

The billboards are protected by inane very pro-billboard state laws. The city can't do anything about it.

From Scenic Utah's billboard page:

Old Posted Jul 24, 2023, 6:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
…that's where a lot of people enter an exit our city. Do we really want to leave them with that kind of first and or last impression&
I used to drive visitors from the airport to downtown and I heard more comments about the awful billboards than the pretty mountains. It’s an embarrassing first impression but not nearly as bad as some billboards you see in Southern US cities.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2023, 11:42 PM

Got bored and decided to do a quick redesign of Astra's crown using one of the images from Astra's website https://www.astraslc.com/. Interestingly they are showing 451 feet and 41 stories. This change added approximately 30 feet and gives it more of a signature look IMO. Since it's wishful thinking I should've just made it 500' lol. My skills are limited so I couldn't make it look exactly like I wanted but it gives the general idea.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2023, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileybo View Post
I used to drive visitors from the airport to downtown and I heard more comments about the awful billboards than the pretty mountains. It’s an embarrassing first impression but not nearly as bad as some billboards you see in Southern US cities.
My wife and I noticed all the billboards during our recent visit to SLC and found them a destraction to driving, finding our way around and a massive eyesore. Maybe a campaign against them is due.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2023, 1:44 AM
Lahaina Strong

Pioneer Day Photos

I celebrated the day off by loitering. Grabbed a few photos while I was at it.

Salt Lake Crossing

Camber

300 North Bridge

North Capitol Building and Plaza

Platform 1500 Apartments

Old Posted Jul 25, 2023, 12:42 PM

Fantastic updates Paniolo Man!! I really look forward to your and RC14's updates.

Some exciting probable insights into Downtown's new urban hospital on the latest BSL report - https://buildingsaltlake.com/intermo...EMAIL_CAMPAIGN)

Taylor Anderson Reporting:

Quote:
- have insisted they want to build an “urban hospital” in Salt Lake City,
Quote:
- Buildings could be any height if they go through a design review process with the city, and one executive suggested that’s the intent with the new hospital on the Sears Block.
Quote:
Heather Wall, CEO and administrator at LDS Hospital, pointed to hospitals in Seattle and New York City as examples Intermountain is following at the Sears Block.
Quote:
“This site is going to be very different than anything Intermountain has built in this state,” said Bentley Peay, senior director of real estate for Intermountain. “This will be an urban hospital. It’s going to look and feel very different.”

Last edited by delts145; Jul 25, 2023 at 1:04 PM.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2023, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Agree. I can just feel the architects' souls dying having to 'design' it.
Developer: Okay, here's the site.
Arch: Wow! What an amazing site! Riverside property. Interesting shape. I can't wait to design something for this.
Developer: What do you mean, "design?"

Old Posted Jul 25, 2023, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Can someone provide an update or photos of the 'Twenty Ones' project at 2100 E and 2100 S?

https://www.apartments.com/twentyone...ty-ut/m65vqmj/

I haven't heard or seen an update in ages.

I finally remembered to get up there and take some pictures.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2023, 10:04 PM

Astra

Good afternoon Schmoe, I’m sure you are a busy guy but I noticed they raised the Crane for the Astra tower. Do you know what height the crane cab is at now?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2023, 10:25 PM
NIMBY Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Dave View Post
Good afternoon Schmoe, I’m sure you are a busy guy but I noticed they raised the Crane for the Astra tower. Do you know what height the crane cab is at now?
Hey. I actually don't know the exact height of the cab, but I'll try to find out tomorrow. It's approximately 510 feet at the bottom, though. Previous height of the cab was 426', and we added four 20-foot(ish) sections.

Speaking of the crane, check out this from the Instagram account of one of the Jacobsen guys: https://www.instagram.com/reel/Ct1Y5...RlODBiNWFlZA==

Old Posted Jul 25, 2023, 11:01 PM
of SLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paniolo Man View Post
I celebrated the day off by loitering. Grabbed a few photos while I was at it.
Thanks for taking the time and providing us this great photo update!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West