HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockies View Post
The endless, circular stadium speculation even in the absence of more news has sucked as much life out of this forum as the slowdown

I understand the general demographic overlap between many here and pro sports audiences - but please we have already established that this is not the place for minor updates and discussion of that topic. Of course those not interested can just scroll past - but it's hardly worth checking here at this point
I mean it was "established" because some people complained. LOL.

Listen, there are plenty of subjects in this thread that are incredibly boring to many of us that may be interesting to others. I couldn't care less about all the politics ramblings that happen all the time on this thread, whereas the sports discussion is MUCH more appealing to me.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 2:02 AM

Clearly more than 2-3 people are interested in Comrades sports talk and other contributions. I know I am. It’s nice to have something to discuss in between Paniolos and Reeders great photos of current development, Blahs development announcements, and others’ posts

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeographer View Post
Clearly more than 2-3 people are interested in Comrades sports talk and other contributions. I know I am. It’s nice to have something to discuss in between Paniolos and Reeders great photos of current development, Blahs development announcements, and others’ posts
Very much agree with you. Those of you who are newer to the forum might not be aware of this. We were quite adamant at one time against creating numerous threads and voted overwhelmingly against it. In fact, with the help of Cottonwood, we combined several of the threads. I for one always appreciate any news or discussion that gives the Salt Lake City thread additional time and exposure. If it were up to me I would combine the Airport thread into the Salt Lake Thread. Of course, it's too late for that now. However, if it has anything to do with the development of a structure such as a stadium within the Salt Lake City limits please keep it to the SLC thread. Looking for excuses to create a new SLC Thread is a road we don't want to go down again.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 6:07 AM

Here is my two cents.
1) It's all basically speculation at this point and isn't 'news' as much as either wishful thinking or doom and gloom conspiracy theories. Personally, I don't think either of those have a place here. In the past (last year and earlier) posts were actual development discussion around where a potential stadium might go in SLC or what could be done to encourage good development practices around the project. I was able to tolerate that, since they were at least posts that contributed something. However, IMHO, this has mostly devolved into rampant speculation (some seems just plain made up) and I think should be moved elsewhere - either to the other thread or to a different platform like Reddit.

2) It has been drowning out the actual development news on this site. Since the start of this year I have posted the information of a couple dozen newly proposed projects representing thousands of housing units. These posts don't just happen, they take time. It takes me about half an hour to make each of those posts (Huge shoutout to Delts who basically keeps a lot of the other threads afloat). Yet, since the start of this year or so, every time I post a new project it gets completely ignored (maybe one comment) and then drowned out with page after page of stadium speculation and comments comparing SLC to X city.

I've reached a point where I question what's the point of taking all the time to pull or screenshot all of a projects images from the documents, edit the shots, post them on imgur and then come over here and deal with all the formatting when nobody other than me and one or two others even seem to care. I get way more responses and people seem to care more over on reddit with half the time and headache. Every time I have tried to step back from posting on here though, nobody else ever seems to want to do it and many projects don't get mentioned on here, even when they get full articles by BSL. So Idk.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 6:44 AM

There’s 1) not enough notable developments regularly occurring in this town to justify so many threads, and 2) not enough people regularly posting to our threads to justify shutting down/moving certain discussions to newly created threads.

And Blah, I certainly appreciate your detailed posts of local housing developments and such; however to be honest, and I’m only speaking for myself, it’s hard to comment on every 5/1 that goes up.

I understand a lot of frequenters don’t log on here to participate in any “political talk”, seriously though it’s kinda impossible to avoid if we want to actually understand how and why situations (like the RSL Stadium) unfold. I ain’t care about no sport ball, and if Utah ever gets a big team they’ll be playing in the burbs… so I simply scroll passed those posts.

Maybe we should move to Reddit or something similar. Skyscraperpage last updated in like 2006 and at least Reddit is mostly curated and I can share photos in under an hour there.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 1:31 PM

There is definitely development news if people want to look for it, though admittedly it has slowed down.

My issue with sports talk is that it's not really news. It's speculation. Grasping at minor things Ryan Smith says, speculating about whether X team might move to Utah or whether X league will expand into Utah.

The only thing that hasn't been speculation is when a group was formed to try to bring an MLB team to the Power District. THAT is actual news. And of course the Bees moving to Daybreak and what's going to happen with Smith's Ballpark. And I understand it re-sparked pro sports discussion for SLC, but the NHL talk is just exhausting to me. No actual news about the NHL coming to SLC or even potentially coming to Utah has been released. It's completely speculation. The posts don't contain anything new. But I can't control what other people post. I definitely think it's best kept to a separate sports thread, but I understand why people want to keep this forum more active. But it makes me less likely to want to engage with the discussion here. I don't even dislike sports. I just don't see the point in engaging in theoretical discussions about it.

Personally when I see posts, I want to see posts about actual development. If any actual news about pro sports coming to SLC actually happens, or any announcements about arenas and stadiums, then I'm happy to engage in that discussion. But I agree with blah that it's been drowning out discussion lately.

btw blah, I very much appreciate your updates, even if I don't comment on them. As someone else said, it is hard to come up with new things to post about 5+1 developments, which is one reason why I don't say anything. But I appreciate the updates nonetheless.

We used to have a more dedicated group of people to post picture updates, but those have fallen by the wayside a bit. Whether people are busier, or have just drifted away from the site, I'm not sure. But the picture updates we do get are always greatly appreciated.

As for moving to Reddit - I think as long as this forum still exists, this can exist alongside our current Reddit. I still see value in an old-school forum such as this. The same kind of discussion we have here can't really happen on Reddit, and I still find that Reddit isn't active enough for my personal tastes (I would love to see more engagement on the posts, and more posts about stuff outside of SLC proper, but I get it likely just requires more users).

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 5:31 PM

The low interest rates of the last few years were the historical exception. It's doubtful we'll see 2 or 3% again. Settling of rates will likely mean a slow adjustment back to the historical average -something around what we see today. My first home loan in 2002 was 6.5%. In my lifetime the interest rate horror show was the early 80's.
If the demand is there, I don't think current rates will keep projects from starting indefinitely.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetElvis View Post
The low interest rates of the last few years were the historical exception. It's doubtful we'll see 2 or 3% again. Settling of rates will likely mean a slow adjustment back to the historical average -something around what we see today. My first home loan in 2002 was 6.5%. In my lifetime the interest rate horror show was the early 80's.
If the demand is there, I don't think current rates will keep projects from starting indefinitely.
Yeah, I agree interest rates will find a new higher normal. There is speculation of a rate cut later this year that has since been pushed back to next year sometime by speculators. I feel the Fed is going to keep rates higher, if and when they do cut rates again it will because the economy is in bad shape, not because Wall Street investors and speculators want business as usual from the fed in terms of low interest rates. Therefore, do these proposed projects that have stalled make financial sense with current market conditions? Banks seem to be much more restrictive. I get the sense that rental prices can’t move much higher so I get the feeling material prices and labor prices will have to come down which would be a welcome change. Otherwise we are in for a long dry spell if nothing changes. The 5-7 story projects can probably move forward still but I’m not sure about the larger high rise jobs.

Any insights to brighten my hopes for the next 3-5 years?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Dave View Post
Yeah, I agree interest rates will find a new higher normal. There is speculation of a rate cut later this year that has since been pushed back to next year sometime by speculators. I feel the Fed is going to keep rates higher, if and when they do cut rates again it will because the economy is in bad shape, not because Wall Street investors and speculators want business as usual from the fed in terms of low interest rates. Therefore, do these proposed projects that have stalled make financial sense with current market conditions? Banks seem to be much more restrictive. I get the sense that rental prices can’t move much higher so I get the feeling material prices and labor prices will have to come down which would be a welcome change. Otherwise we are in for a long dry spell if nothing changes. The 5-7 story projects can probably move forward still but I’m not sure about the larger high rise jobs.

Any insights to brighten my hopes for the next 3-5 years?
The best insight that I can provide for now is that with the vacancy rate being so low, we will need to see a mixture of both high rise and low rise apartments.

I am also aware that numerous companies are bringing employees back to the office 3 or more days each week. This does mean that we could see a need for more commercial space in the next few years.

With this, it does bode well for Block 67 phase 2 being fully completed. Providing the vacancy rate stays under 6%, we should continue to see residential projects moving forward.

For high rise apartment projects, outside of block 67, I think we will see 150 Main start later this year. I do think we will only see 1 of the Domain or Hotel RL redevelopment tower happen in the next couple of years. I am hoping for the RL redevelopment tower as it would extend the skyline southward.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 8:01 PM

Thanks Makid. We appreciate the insight
Hopefully the last few years wasn’t a blip

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 11:57 PM

Has anyone heard any info on what CCRI will look to next as far as highrises? Obviously they have deep enough pockets to not care about interest rates. I know last we checked the thought was the lot east of Harmons would be developed as apartments before the Cascade would be built. I wonder if that is still the plan, and if they are waiting to build until after the Temple has been completed.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2023, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboubak View Post
Has anyone heard any info on what CCRI will look to next as far as highrises? Obviously they have deep enough pockets to not care about interest rates. I know last we checked the thought was the lot east of Harmons would be developed as apartments before the Cascade would be built. I wonder if that is still the plan, and if they are waiting to build until after the Temple has been completed.
While not fully confirmed, I have heard that CCRI is holding off on new construction until after the Temple reconstruction is complete. This will help them to reduce labor costs.

Also, I haven't heard anything different as to the order. It is still planned for the lot east of Harmon's as an apartment tower. There isn't a definitive timeline for the Cascade unfortunately.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2023, 3:02 AM

Blah, I appreciate your posts and do read them with interest even if I don’t respond. Either way I frequent the Reddit forum as well so if it’s easier for you to post there and you get more responses it's understandable why you feel the way you do about posting stuff her e

Old Posted Jul 12, 2023, 2:56 PM

How the next major hub in the biotechnology industry found a home in Salt Lake City
Utah is the fastest-growing life science and health care innovation industry in the nation

https://www.deseret.com/utah/2023/7/...ry-jobs-growth

Quote:
“Life science accounts for 150,000 direct and indirect jobs in the state of Utah, and accounts for about $16 billion in GDP,” Edwards said.
Researchers work in labs at the Recursion offices in Salt Lake City on Tuesday, June 20, 2023.Ryan Sun, Deseret

With that said, here are the top 5 large life sciences clusters in North America – defined as high LQ communities with total cluster employment over 20,000:

https://www.waterlooedc.ca/blog/mapp...a-life-science

1. Montreal

2. Toronto

3. Vancouver

4. Indianapolis

5. Salt Lake City

Last edited by delts145; Jul 12, 2023 at 4:57 PM.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2023, 3:53 PM

Also Posted on the Int. Airport Thread

Delta’s investment in Salt Lake City grows with new pilot training facility

Delta broke ground Thursday on a new pilot training facility in its key Mountain West hub, Salt Lake City. The SLC training facility will complement Delta’s Atlanta training facility, which has 34 full flight sims, plus 13 Flight Training Devices (FTDs) and 20 Procedure Trainers (PTs).

Located next to Salt Lake City International Airport (SLC), this 47,000-square-foot facility marks the next chapter of Delta’s investment in its 5,400 employees in Utah and their customers.

At a glance: SLC Flight Training Center

Building size = 47,413 square feet (about half the area of a Manhattan city block)

Includes four high ceiling bays to accommodate Full Motion Simulators

Includes four Procedure Trainers and easily accessible infrastructure that supports them

Five classrooms, with expansion space for additional four classrooms

Ten briefing rooms

Expansion space on the site for six additional Full Motion Simulators

Best-in-class environmental & sustainability features throughout

Old Posted Jul 12, 2023, 11:43 PM
Ironweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Also Posted on the Int. Airport Thread

Delta’s investment in Salt Lake City grows with new pilot training facility

Delta broke ground Thursday on a new pilot training facility in its key Mountain West hub, Salt Lake City. The SLC training facility will complement Delta’s Atlanta training facility, which has 34 full flight sims, plus 13 Flight Training Devices (FTDs) and 20 Procedure Trainers (PTs).

Located next to Salt Lake City International Airport (SLC), this 47,000-square-foot facility marks the next chapter of Delta’s investment in its 5,400 employees in Utah and their customers.

At a glance: SLC Flight Training Center

Building size = 47,413 square feet (about half the area of a Manhattan city block)

Includes four high ceiling bays to accommodate Full Motion Simulators

Includes four Procedure Trainers and easily accessible infrastructure that supports them

Five classrooms, with expansion space for additional four classrooms

Ten briefing rooms

Expansion space on the site for six additional Full Motion Simulators

Best-in-class environmental & sustainability features throughout

Comrade has insisted on becoming the first student pilot.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2023, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironweed View Post
Comrade has insisted on becoming the first student pilot.

^^^
LOL, I'll bet Comrade is not the only one on this thread thinking about it

Last edited by delts145; Jul 16, 2023 at 12:40 PM.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2023, 9:57 PM

Can someone provide an update or photos of the 'Twenty Ones' project at 2100 E and 2100 S?

https://www.apartments.com/twentyone...ty-ut/m65vqmj/

I haven't heard or seen an update in ages.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2023, 10:47 AM

Lol, just found out about this forum! Surprised to find myself mentioned so often haha. I'm not against development at all. I'm a business owner and licensed real estate agent. Have been involved in real estate for nearly 20 years. I'm just against corruption and developers stealing public property. I'm also passionate about historic buildings, the arts, and culture as it brings value to our community and city. I support the Rio Grande Plan and expanding public transit. Besides the Pantages, we're currently working with architects to rebuild the original and historic Great Saltair. I'm very excited about building a better Salt Lake City

Hines' 150 S. Main Apartments will never be built. The entire deal was illegal and they only rushed to destroy the theater as we had three lawsuits against them and the city, one was about to go before the Utah State Supreme Court

-Michael Valentine

Old Posted Jul 15, 2023, 2:20 PM

Blah, I thought this was the one you were looking for, but apparently not. Now I'm curious about the project you asked about.

21& View Lofts - Sugar House District - Completed

21 & View is situated on the most convenient and scenic corner in Sugar House, Utah. This new lifestyle development contains an exciting collection of 29 spacious apartments and two signature office / retail spaces. Functional modern floor plans, energy efficient building components, and stylized architecture make 21 & View a premier place to live.

21 & View in Sugarhouse, UT is a pet-friendly apartment complex.

Features for commercial space include:

21,493 SF of Leasable Space

grease traps in place,

tall ceilings,

patio space,

high end finishes

customer surface parking

21&View.com

Last edited by delts145; Jul 16, 2023 at 8:25 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West