HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 6:33 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
The map below indicates the location of four apartment projects in the neighbourhood, either under construction or nearing construction:

Don't forget the 5-story apartment building at the corner of St George and Weldon that is or nearly done. And of course the new hotel.

It's incredible how much the six blocks between Cameron, St George, Highfield and Main have changed in just the past year.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 6:49 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
Don't forget the 5-story apartment building at the corner of St George and Weldon that is or nearly done. And of course the new hotel.

It's incredible how much the six blocks between Cameron, St George, Highfield and Main have changed in just the past year.
Indeed. The apartment building at St. George & Weldon is complete, which is why I didn't include it. I didn't include the Hilton Garden Inn because, well, it is a hotel.

Another thing I didn't include is the project to turn the old Marine Atlantic/McKenzie College building into a seniors apartment complex (which includes a second five storey residential tower to be built).

Speaking of the Hilton Garden Inn, I went to the new Monk10 restaurant last Friday and my meal was delicious! The chowder in particular was fantastic - best I ever had!!

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Another thing I didn't include is the project to turn the old Marine Atlantic/McKenzie College building into a seniors apartment complex (which includes a second five storey residential tower to be built).
Not sure about that. There's a 'for lease' sign that only appeared recently.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
It will be in the former General Motors building, close to the Centennial Park entrance. It's under construction now and there'll be about 60 employees working there when they open.
Love it!

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 4:48 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierremoncton View Post
Not sure about that. There's a 'for lease' sign that only appeared recently.
Well, I suppose things change. One should never take a development for granted until shovels are in the ground, and even then...........

This is what had been planned for 100 Cameron Street:

Quote:
This proposal was floating around last year, but I see that it is back before Moncton PAC again, seeking new variances:

- A proposal to convert the existing office building at 100 Cameron Street (NW corner of Cameron & Gordon) to a seniors living complex, with the addition of a second six storey attached tower

This quote was from 2019, when the developers made an appearance at Moncton PAC for a development variance. Since then, the pandemic hit, which might have impacted further developments of seniors living complexes in particular.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 6:36 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

This is apparently the chosen location where the new Harley Davidson dealership will be built on West Main Street.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Well, I suppose things change. One should never take a development for granted until shovels are in the ground, and even then...........

This is what had been planned for 100 Cameron Street:

This quote was from 2019, when the developers made an appearance at Moncton PAC for a development variance. Since then, the pandemic hit, which might have impacted further developments of seniors living complexes in particular.
I believe the company is Time Equities, and that they've been to the Moncton PAC a couple of times. I also think that the pandemic may have delayed their plans for this project. Hopefully they can get back on track. It would be another nice addition to the area on top of the other developments happening in this neighbourhood.

As for the for lease sign, they might as well have tenants in the building while they're waiting to proceed with their plans. However with the current climate, it will be a real challenge to lease out office space.

Which makes me wonder if Crombie will come up with a different business plan for 1222 Main Street.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 12:16 AM

Gordon/Highfield complex coming along.

Anyone else noticed that Highfield street from Main to Gordon is lacking lighting? I think the Hilton Garden Inn needs to brighten up the front of their building with much more accent lighting.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 4:15 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackYear View Post
Anyone else noticed that Highfield street from Main to Gordon is lacking lighting? I think the Hilton Garden Inn needs to brighten up the front of their building with much more accent lighting.
I would generally agree. I think Highfield at least as far up as Gordon needs to be completely refurbished. Certainly the roadway needs to be repaved (like Main Street), and the sidewalks repaired. It might be a good idea to add in some decorative street lighting at the same time since both the Hilton Garden Inn and the Crowne Plaza have their main entrances off of Highfield. They could continue the same theme as along Main Street and Canada Street (especially since the area is essentially integrated into the Avenir Centre district).

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 5:17 AM

Quote:
I would generally agree. I think Highfield at least as far up as Gordon needs to be completely refurbished. Certainly the roadway needs to be repaved (like Main Street), and the sidewalks repaired. It might be a good idea to add in some decorative street lighting at the same time since both the Hilton Garden Inn and the Crowne Plaza have their main entrances off of Highfield. They could continue the same theme as along Main Street and Canada Street (especially since the area is essentially integrated into the Avenir Centre district).
Completely agree! While they are at it, they should burry those power lines too.
As far up as Gordon I’d like to see them rebuild the roads and burry all of the power lines on Bonacord, Highfield, Weldon and Cameron. They make a 4 year plan and do one road each year. I imagine in 4 years time the area will look extremely different anyhow.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 12:47 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Speaking of downtown street reconstructions........

Moncton delays plan to overhaul St. George Street
Businesses say delay is good given pandemic's effects
Shane Magee · CBC News · Posted: Nov 12, 2020 6:05 AM AT | Last Updated: 3 hours ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...sses-1.5796615

Ostensibly the delay is primarily because the city doesn't want any overlap between the reconstruction and the causeway closure, but it is also interesting to note the city wants to wait while their active transportation plan is updated. This is probably a wise choice. As far as I'm concerned, St. George is a better candidate for a bike lane than Main Street anyway, and if you are going to put one in, you might as well do it right...........

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 8:42 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Foundation is now going in.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 9:49 PM

They really should move utilities underground on this st george st as well.. I think the last i heard they decided not to as the cost added like 5%to the project or something like that.. Seems like a small price to pay to really clean up the st..

Quote:
Speaking of downtown street reconstructions........

Moncton delays plan to overhaul St. George Street
Businesses say delay is good given pandemic's effects
Shane Magee · CBC News · Posted: Nov 12, 2020 6:05 AM AT | Last Updated: 3 hours ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...sses-1.5796615

Ostensibly the delay is primarily because the city doesn't want any overlap between the reconstruction and the causeway closure, but it is also interesting to note the city wants to wait while their active transportation plan is updated. This is probably a wise choice. As far as I'm concerned, St. George is a better candidate for a bike lane than Main Street anyway, and if you are going to put one in, you might as well do it right...........

Old Posted Nov 15, 2020, 12:10 AM

Hockey Night in downtown Moncton.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2020, 4:52 AM

Quote:
110% agree, the section from Main to Gordon is in great need of some TLC; roads, lighting and sidewalks. There's like 8 types of pavements!
Underground powerlines would be awesome, but perhaps we are asking for too much. $$$$$$

Old Posted Nov 15, 2020, 12:52 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUIR@random View Post
the section from Main to Gordon is in great need of some TLC; roads, lighting and sidewalks. There's like 8 types of pavements!
Underground powerlines would be awesome, but perhaps we are asking for too much. $$$$$$
Oh I don't know. The city gave the east end of Queen Street from Botsford to King the full meal deal a couple of years ago. This was coordinated with the final phase of FiveFive Queen. Maybe the Hilton Garden Inn should have negotiated a similar arrangement.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 3:57 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The future of 84 Highfield Street will be discussed at Moncton City Council this evening.

T&T photo

As we are all aware, Ashford want this building demolished to improve access to the underground parking garage at their development on Highfield & Gordon.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 1:42 AM

Quote:
The future of 84 Highfield Street will be discussed at Moncton City Council this evening.

T&T photo

As we are all aware, Ashford want this building demolished to improve access to the underground parking garage at their development on Highfield & Gordon.
I’m curious to see how this will play out. I will say here in Saint John there’s not a chance the city would let it face the wrecking ball. I’m not aware of Moncton’s bylaws for preserving older buildings so it’s hard to say. IMO this will be a big test for council

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 4:28 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSJ View Post
I’m curious to see how this will play out. I will say here in Saint John there’s not a chance the city would let it face the wrecking ball. I’m not aware of Moncton’s bylaws for preserving older buildings so it’s hard to say. IMO this will be a big test for council
This quote is from Mayor Dawn Arnold's FB summary of the city council meeting:

Quote:
We then got right into planning matters with the Public Hearing for 84-86 Highfield. After a lengthy discussion, Council decided to amend our Heritage By-law to protect the building.
So, city council has voted to preserve this building. This is good news, since it (at least temporarily) will prevent this house from meeting the wreckers ball. Of course Ashford could choose to neglect this property until it becomes an eyesore or becomes unsafe, in which case it could eventually be demolished anyway. Personally, I don't think this will happen. Ashford is a reputable developer, and I imagine the company will either fix up the building so that it can be repurposed, or sell it to another developer.

It is a fine old residential home, which provides variety and visual appeal to the streetscape. Not every house in the downtown west end needs to be demolished (frankly most do, but not this one). I trust it will find a future as a B&B, restaurant or small commercial office.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 1:38 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

One of the concerns regarding the existing planned tight-radius ramp leading to the underground parking at the Ashford apartment building at Highfield/Gordon is related to snow accumulation and icy conditions being a hazard to tenants entering and leaving the parking structure.

It occurred to me that this issue could be eliminated by heating the ramp to prevent ice accumulation. I wonder if this is being considered?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces