HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Sep 7, 2021, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
I was thinking that, it appears they are alternating crews between their two Riverview projects.
If they're alternating crews between the two sites, it looks like they are back at The Tides. I was by the site today and it was very busy with multiple workers vehicles parked along the fence, and a large crew at work. The mobile crane was in full swing & extended, so maybe they're getting ready for the 2nd floor. I don't know how far along they'll be able to get on two projects before the snow flies though!

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
If they're alternating crews between the two sites, it looks like they are back at The Tides. I was by the site today and it was very busy with multiple workers vehicles parked along the fence, and a large crew at work. The mobile crane was in full swing & extended, so maybe they're getting ready for the 2nd floor. I don't know how far along they'll be able to get on two projects before the snow flies though!
I assume the reason behind this is lack of workers. If they only have enough workers to operate one full crew, why waste the money having a mini crane sit there if they don’t have to. I think they were hoping to be further along on both of these projects by now.

Realistically they should have been done the second floor. Tannery North in Moncton started construction after The Tides and they have already begun work on the 3rd floor. They also didn’t have to build a giant retaining wall, but my point still stands.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 2:01 AM

Quote:
I assume the reason behind this is lack of workers. If they only have enough workers to operate one full crew, why waste the money having a mini crane sit there if they don’t have to. I think they were hoping to be further along on both of these projects by now.

Realistically they should have been done the second floor. Tannery North in Moncton started construction after The Tides and they have already begun work on the 3rd floor. They also didn’t have to build a giant retaining wall, but my point still stands.
How many units is Tannery North? The Tides is advertised as 74 units. Could it be a larger building than the Tannery? Could that have an impact on timing? Also there appears to have been significantly more site work and retaining walls, whereas the Tannery would have had a lot of site work completed from its phase one. From building a house once, I think concrete needs to cure for a period of time before it can bear a load. I assume that time is significant for a parking garage, maybe that is why there was a lull for about a week?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 2:22 PM

Quote:

With so many large construction projects happening in the area, I've also wondered about a possible lack of workers.

For example, the Kensington Apartments is a fairly large project at Pinewood & Gunningsville in Riverview that has been moving along at a snail's pace. They just don't have a very large crew working on it.

So Thrive Properties could be switching their crew back and forth on the two Riverview projects. Also at this stage, there's a lot of concrete being poured, so they could be letting it cure before coming back to add the next level.

They're quite ambitious taking on two large projects at this time of year!

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 7:03 PM

Mezza Lebanese Kitchen is looking to open in Riverview. I think the logical location would be Findlay Park since there already are several vacancies available. However, I wonder if the proposed commercial building next to BNS would be an option?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2021, 4:42 PM

Less than a week before the new bridge opens. Mayor LeBlanc stated that businesses in town are looking forward to it as the closure of the causeway has had a negative impact on them. Latest drone video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNctfuDHEnI YouTube video by clandrew1

Old Posted Sep 12, 2021, 6:53 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Mezza Lebanese Kitchen is looking to open in Riverview. I think the logical location would be Findlay Park since there already are several vacancies available. However, I wonder if the proposed commercial building next to BNS would be an option?
The timing would be perfect.

I am personally surprised to hear that Mezza is planning three locations in greater Moncton at the get go. This seems awfully ambitious.

The location in McLaughlin Place makes sense in terms of customer traffic from the adjacent university. A location in Riverview makes sense in terms of geographic isolation (as long as the customer base in Riverview is large enough). The wildcard might be Dieppe, since the McLaughlin Place location isn't too far away. I think the best spot for a successful Dieppe location would be up on Dieppe Blvd somewhere.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2021, 7:37 PM

If I was them, I'd be taking things a lot slower for sure and skipping the Riverview idea. Definitely I'd be on Dieppe Blvd though.
I'm not sure of their current location on Morton, either. I live in the area and have for a very long time. I don't see a lot of Lebanese people, nor a lot of disposable income.
We shall see. Freddies' opened a few years ago up here and it is wildly popular (quite delicious honestly and Freddie is a great cook and a very nice fellow) but still, his restaurant is hardly exemplary of Lebanese cuisine.
I hope they are very successful whatever Mezza ends up doing.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2021, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
The timing would be perfect.

I am personally surprised to hear that Mezza is planning three locations in greater Moncton at the get go. This seems awfully ambitious.

The location in McLaughlin Place makes sense in terms of customer traffic from the adjacent university. A location in Riverview makes sense in terms of geographic isolation (as long as the customer base in Riverview is large enough). The wildcard might be Dieppe, since the McLaughlin Place location isn't too far away. I think the best spot for a successful Dieppe location would be up on Dieppe Blvd somewhere.
I was thinking the same thing about the timing. And I agree that their expansion plans seem ambitious. As far as Riverview goes, I think when they open, there will be the typical rush of people trying out something new in town. In order to be successful, they'll need to have the usual big 3 elements covered: Good quality, good service, and good price.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2021, 2:32 PM

It would be interesting to get the vehicle count on the new bridge when it opens. I suspect it will be busier at first as drivers check it out, but then people will revert to their typical driving habits.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2021, 7:24 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

T&T is reporting that the official opening of the new bridge will be Friday at 2 PM. There will be a ribbon cutting at that time, and traffic will begin to flow immediately thereafter.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2021, 8:28 PM

Here's a new drove video from clandrew1. Early on (35 sec.) it shows what looks to be a lot of work being done right at the corner where Wheeler hits the traffic circle. I wonder what they're doing? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHEnP-l-Li4

Old Posted Sep 15, 2021, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Here's a new drove video from clandrew1. Early on (35 sec.) it shows what looks to be a lot of work being done right at the corner where Wheeler hits the traffic circle. I wonder what they're doing? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHEnP-l-Li4
Replacing/installing a storm drain

Old Posted Sep 15, 2021, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riberview View Post
Replacing/installing a storm drain
That area floods when there's heavy rain. So it's a good idea to deal with the problem now, while they're doing the bridge. I've driven through there many times with water covering the road.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2021, 10:48 PM

1) Love the clearly divided multipurpose lanes. People GENERALLY stay right on these.
2) Hate how it seems to drop you off.... nowhere?

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkuta View Post
1) Love the clearly divided multipurpose lanes. People GENERALLY stay right on these.
I was thinking the same thing, the bike lanes they just end before the traffic circle.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 12:56 AM

I also didn’t realize the Riverview bound lanes weren’t going to start until right at the bridge when there was CLEARLY enough space to do this part properly. Maybe they could have added a lane coming from Salisbury Road right on to the causeway part and then have that lane extend up to the bridge.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 11:23 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkuta View Post
I think they did this because they are still mulling over how to connect the bike lanes/pedestrian walkway to the trail system.

I'm sure they'll address this next year.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 11:24 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
I also didn’t realize the Riverview bound lanes weren’t going to start until right at the bridge when there was CLEARLY enough space to do this part properly. Maybe they could have added a lane coming from Salisbury Road right on to the causeway part and then have that lane extend up to the bridge.
Good thought, but would there have been enough traffic to justify this?

Regardless, the roadway is wide enough that your suggestion could have been accommodated simply by a little extra paint on the road surface.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 6:50 PM

The Tides construction location was really busy this morning, with a substantial number of workers on site. There's now a larger 2nd mobile crane working and it looks like they're almost ready for the second floor concrete. It will be interesting to see how far they can get before it starts snowing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces