HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 3:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Apparently all on hold until the bulk of the pandemic is over. Not likely until 2022.
There seemed to be a lot of activity in the fall and winter, not much happening on the north Main proposed site now.

Costco guy supposedly in the know says they still are planning for two new locations in Winnipeg and switching the St. James location to their business model. Time will tell.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 3:47 PM
What could go wrong?

Almost certain it will happen, just delayed...strange times for everything.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 4:02 PM

That area has a lot going on. A lot of sprawly stuff filling up that entire area east of McPhillips, south of Grassmere, west of Main St.

SW corner of Main and 101, Meadowlands Place: https://www.collierscanada.com/en-ca...ada/can2002581

NW corner of Main and 101, Shops of West St Paul: https://cwstevenson.ca/properties-2/...l-For-Details/

NE corner of Main and 101, Trails of West St Paul: http://www.watersidedevelopment.ca/the-trails.html

Parkview Point, north of 101: https://www.parkviewpointe.ca/our-location

All the commercial/industrial along Kapelus north of 101

West of the Meadowlands, Riverdale West: https://www.lombardnorth.com/portfol...bourhood-plan/

Highland Pointe, south of Riverdale West: https://www.ladco.mb.ca/highland-pointe

Aurora is well on it's way south of Highland.

Then it's Chief Peguis Trail.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 4:11 PM

^ It felt like little changed in that part of the city from about the late 80s to 2010, but it has certainly changed an awful lot in the last decade.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 5:48 PM

Apparently the west Costco is thoroughly in limbo.

The story I heard goes the site needing servicing. Costco said no. Shindico then offered to pickup the cost and put in a sewer line. Then the city came along after the work was completed and said opps that line is too small. Costco having already declined to pay for servicing didn't want to pick up the costs and Shindico dug in their own heels and said oh well lets find a different project which can make use of the line we installed.

Not sure how true it all is but I would say it came from sources that are likely to have heard from people in the know.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 5:51 PM

I wonder who's oopsie that is, if that's the case. If the city approved something and came back later. Sue them.

If they installed a sewer line prior to approval, or changed plans, Shindicos oopsie.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 11:02 PM

As reported by retail-insider.com, this fall Hudson's Bay is closing its TOPMAN & TOPSHOP store-within-a-store concept due to expiry of its licensing agreement.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 4:37 AM

That's too bad. I was just at Hudson's Bay this weekend and enjoyed the seleciton.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 12:41 PM

Less “end of agreement” and more Topshop/Topman’s parent company went bankrupt and creditors sold the brand to Asos who has no interest on bricks and mortar.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 8:50 PM

Hudson's Bay is apparently shrinking its Downtown Calgary store this year. Will it close too in about another 10 years like ours.

Last edited by cslusarc; Jun 2, 2021 at 10:22 PM.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslusarc View Post
Hudson's Bay is apparently shrinking its Downtown Calgary store this year. Will it close too in about another p years like ours.
That's been in the works since before Covid.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 3:05 PM

Every time I walk by the Bay I am just stunned that there's nothing keeping them from just boarding up their windows with plywood. No murals, not even a coat of paint. It makes downtown look even more like Detroit in the 90s

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
Every time I walk by the Bay I am just stunned that there's nothing keeping them from just boarding up their windows with plywood. No murals, not even a coat of paint. It makes downtown look even more like Detroit in the 90s
It is weird. The City has standards for seemingly everything but you want to board up one of the most prominent buildings in town on one of the most prominent streets in town? Sure, have at 'er!

Boarding up the store seemed like a pointed gesture by HBC to turn up the heat on the City and Province to do something about this and reach a deal.

When Eaton's closed I don't remember any windows being boarded up except for one window that was removed and placed on the second level of Bell MTS Place. But these guys had to board up the entire main level as soon as the store closed?!

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 3:32 PM

I am pretty sure there is a backroom deal between HBC, the Province and the City that gives the former downtown store special exemptions. ie we will let you board over the ground floor doors/windows if you don't just abandon the property completely and leave us to deal with it.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 4:17 PM

There are definitely conversations going on involving HBC. Also they really had no choice but to board it up - windows were getting broken almost weekly over the last year or so when they were open. Agree some murals on it would be nice though.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 5:46 PM

boards were vandalized the other day with Orange paint "215", but they were pressure washed off. I've always love the HBS displays, I sure hope they can return or the works of local artists

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 6:02 PM
the first stamp is free

I am pretty sure they fastened those plywood boards to the building by screwing into the brass window frames.

I could be wrong, but I don't see any other way those boards could be fastened in there.

And if that is the case - well, it's really shitty and disrespectful. Not really much else to say.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It is weird. The City has standards for seemingly everything but you want to board up one of the most prominent buildings in town on one of the most prominent streets in town? Sure, have at 'er!

Boarding up the store seemed like a pointed gesture by HBC to turn up the heat on the City and Province to do something about this and reach a deal.

When Eaton's closed I don't remember any windows being boarded up except for one window that was removed and placed on the second level of Bell MTS Place. But these guys had to board up the entire main level as soon as the store closed?!
Eatons closed October 16 1999.
The structure came down in early 2003.
True, windows were left as we knew and the store was kept as a thru fare to both Eaton/City Place & Portage Place.
I despise the boarded up windows and just knew graffiti would show up soon enough.
I also feel that what HBC did was more to do with getting a quick decision made on how to proceed with the building asap.
Also, HBC is probably responsible to replace damaged plate glass windows if they break.
The building was or will be sold to the city for a dollar.
In case the city owns it already, I doubt that, the city likely wanted this not to be on the hook for window replacement?
I get that but hate the look.
I does look like Harlem or Detroit decades back in time.
The ideal outcome is that both HBC & Portage Place be redeveloped at the same time so it becomes a very fluid reno.

Last edited by BAKGUY; Jun 3, 2021 at 7:24 PM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 10:14 PM

With the building being empty I think the only other option than boarding up the windows would be to have Kings services or one one of the other contractor rental places install the tall steel wire construction fencing around the building.

I'm not sure which would look worse, boarding up the windows or the red wire fencing around the building

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
I am pretty sure they fastened those plywood boards to the building by screwing into the brass window frames.

I could be wrong, but I don't see any other way those boards could be fastened in there.

And if that is the case - well, it's really shitty and disrespectful. Not really much else to say.
That seems to be SOP for doing building securement. If you look closely at a lot of aluminum store fronts where you go shopping, you will see the holes in the frames around the windows and doors where the board up crews have worked after a smash and grab or the window fails.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan