HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 1:40 AM
Reach for the Clouds

First class!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 2:17 AM

I really need to visit LR. I haven't been there in five or so years and I haven't been through the downtown since the late 90s (and I was young then). It's a beautiful city. A lot better than Fayetteville's obsession with a manicured city.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 4:05 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC70 View Post
I enjoyed your photos, but lets keep the political comments to some other website forum.
Since this is a city-related forum, city events are often covered here (e.g., the Art Car Parade in Houston and many others). If you want to post events more to your liking, go for it.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 4:57 AM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantytown Architect View Post
I really need to visit LR. I haven't been there in five or so years and I haven't been through the downtown since the late 90s (and I was young then). It's a beautiful city. A lot better than Fayetteville's obsession with a manicured city.
Its a lot nicer in during the warm months when the River Market is in full swing. On the weekends there are thousands of people just walking around on the sidewalks. Its freakin sweet. But this weekend is freazing cold and there was hardly anyone walking around. But since the late 90s LR has become a whole hell of a lot better, like most cities have.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 3:02 PM

I don't remember seeing Little Rock on here either, but I remember kcexpress's Arkansas threads. I must have missed the LR one. Great tour and love seeing the folks out working for equal rights!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 3:07 PM

Wow, what a great thread... the night shots (esp. the one of the Clinton Library) are immaculate!

You also captured what I miss most about living in Arkansas... the fall colors. Trees are so dumb here, the leaves just go directly from green to DEAD

Someone mentioned how hard it is to protest in a "backwoods" state like Arkansas. It's a real shame what the gay community has to go through there. I know of only a handful of gay clubs in Little Rock, and they are all on the LRPD's "short list"... they basically circle the clubs and wait for people to walk out, then they try to arrest them for public intoxication. While over in the River Market where a lot of the straight kids hang out, they can be puking on the street and the cops don't even look. Sounds like 21st century racism to me.

For politics, check out my blog Texas Leftist

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 4:53 PM
Closed account

Great shots

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 6:06 PM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanactivistTX View Post
Wow, what a great thread... the night shots (esp. the one of the Clinton Library) are immaculate!

You also captured what I miss most about living in Arkansas... the fall colors. Trees are so dumb here, the leaves just go directly from green to DEAD

Someone mentioned how hard it is to protest in a "backwoods" state like Arkansas. It's a real shame what the gay community has to go through there. I know of only a handful of gay clubs in Little Rock, and they are all on the LRPD's "short list"... they basically circle the clubs and wait for people to walk out, then they try to arrest them for public intoxication. While over in the River Market where a lot of the straight kids hang out, they can be puking on the street and the cops don't even look. Sounds like 21st century racism to me.

Well luckily its not that back woods still. There were a few cops around but they werent doing anything to us. There was however a guy with a blowtorch working on the capital building doing some tar work and he was being ridiculously loud with it, probably trying to annoy us.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 6:34 PM
E pluribus unum

Great photos of both the protest and Little Rock in general

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 7:45 PM
on the south side

I've always thougth LR had a very nice skyline for its size. Thanks for the tour!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 9:18 PM

That's one extremely attractive High School.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 9:57 PM

Your State Capitol is awesome. When I visited it, I liked how the security was so lax. Maybe things have changed from a few years ago. I just walked right in, no security check, guards, or metal detectors. I walked right into some obviously off-limits areas such as state employee lunchrooms and offices because the doors weren't even locked. Oddly enough, though, the public viewing galleries for your state senate and house were locked.

I also like the rest of the city very much. I was there for the Forth of July a few years ago, and the Firework show was amazing. I sat right at the foot of the bridge used as the launch platform and I literally had burning bits of fireworks landing all around me. It was the best firework show I can remember.
Nice thread!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdizzle View Post
Your State Capitol is awesome. When I visited it, I liked how the security was so lax. Maybe things have changed from a few years ago. I just walked right in, no security check, guards, or metal detectors. I walked right into some obviously off-limits areas such as state employee lunchrooms and offices because the doors weren't even locked. Oddly enough, though, the public viewing galleries for your state senate and house were locked.

I also like the rest of the city very much. I was there for the Forth of July a few years ago, and the Firework show was amazing. I sat right at the foot of the bridge used as the launch platform and I literally had burning bits of fireworks landing all around me. It was the best firework show I can remember.
Nice thread!
Lol whole states like that. When I flew back into Arkansas last summer ... there were no security guards at the airport, just metal detectors.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 10:45 PM
Closed account

Quote:

As hard as it may seem to believe, New Orleans used to be that way in the French Quarter (in the 70s). Of course that's all changed now. Even Austin was that way in the 70s. No one would dare stand outside a gay club unless they wanted to be hit by bottles thrown out of passing cars. That seemed to all change by the 80s.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
Dude, thanks for the comment but seeing as this is your first comment on the forum, dont start telling others what they can and cannot do. I do not know what political comments you are talking about. All I said is that everyone should enjoy equal rights, if thats too much for you to handle than keep it to yourself. Thanks.
Funny!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 11:28 PM

Nice set but Central High School is NOT where the civil rights movement "took off" for Afro-Americans.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Sounds like 21st century racism to me.
No, it sounds like harassment, not racism. If one studies history the two are not comparable.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 11:46 PM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdizzle View Post

Nice thread!
Well they have metal detectors now but there were no cops standing by them this weekend. You can basically walk wherever you want in the capital building because who is seriously going to want to blow up Arkansas capital? lol

But there are most def security guards at the airports. I dont know what that one guy was talking about. They always go through my camera bag at the LR airport because they think my lenses are bombs or something lol. They even have stricter airport security at the LR airport than they do at Houstons, at least from what I have seen and I fly all the time.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 12:23 AM

Nice shots of an interesting mid sized city. Glad to see you drove into town to support something you believe in. Peace.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 6:35 PM

Nice shots. Good to see some Little Rock.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos