HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
This is bleak.
And for all the flak Winnipeg gets look at how stable their economy is compared to the rest of Canada. What is Quebec's secret? All Metros under 6%
Relative to ROC, Quebec has relatively reasonable immigration rates, even if it's still too high for integration purposes.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 1:14 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quebec's secret? Partly that they went through the absolute worst times from the late 1970s (deindustrialization, tepid population growth, loss of hundreds of HQs, lead up to the first referendum) though to the late 1990s (second referendum, wrenching deindustrialization). As painful as the deindustrialization was, it laid the grounds for a new economic foundation. Plus, there is nothing like a couple of decades of (relative) political stability to calm investors' nerves.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 1:50 PM
sick transit, gloria

Toronto's unemployment figures likely reflect the "tale of two cities" becoming increasingly common and something that traditionally Canada has been better at avoiding. This has always been more pronounced in Toronto than other centres as the primary landing pad for immigrants but certainly getting worse. If broken down I'd imagine unemployment in broad "professional" sectors is much lower, and as discussed many times much of the new immigration does not fall into this category. Anecdotally I know a lot of people being laid off last year but almost all of them were able to fall into higher paying jobs (sometimes much higher paying) within a few months - of course these are all individuals with significant specialized experience in various fields.

To be clear this isn't a Good Thing.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 7:33 PM

Yes, Toronto is a capitol but, unlike Vic/Hal/QC/Ott, it is a huge city where the proportion of workers from provincial gov't employment is much smaller and hence has a lesser impact on the city's overall economy.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2024, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Toronto's unemployment figures likely reflect the "tale of two cities" becoming increasingly common and something that traditionally Canada has been better at avoiding. This has always been more pronounced in Toronto than other centres as the primary landing pad for immigrants but certainly getting worse.

To be clear this isn't a Good Thing.
Given that official stats does not consider the unemployment of strip mall college international students and TFWs, the labour market is likely much worse for working class Torontonians than what official statistics lead on.

Coupled with skyrocketing rents, it's nothing short of an unmitigated disaster for Toronto's local working classes post-COVID, including immigrants who settled in Canada a long time ago.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2024, 5:24 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Yes, Toronto is a capitol ....
There is no 'o' in capital. Capitol with 'o' is taken from Capitoline Hill (Ancient Rome) and used in reference to a building where a legislature meets. Toronto is a capital city, not a building.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2024, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'tit Renard View Post
Relative to ROC, Quebec has relatively reasonable immigration rates, even if it's still too high for integration purposes.
Exactly. It's not rocket science.

If we took in as many FNSs as Toronto relatively speaking, we'd likely have the same unemployment rates as the GTA.

Of course, we're STILL taking way too many right now -- everyone here agrees on that. I can't imagine what it must look like in the GTA which is getting flooded even more than we are (and it's crazy here).

Old Posted Apr 13, 2024, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Of course, we're STILL taking way too many right now -- everyone here agrees on that. I can't imagine what it must look like in the GTA which is getting flooded even more than we are (and it's crazy here).
The situation is borderline insane for a wealthy city. It's enough to convince even the most hardened federalist Quebecois to demand a weakened federal government, or else Quebec will get shafted with the same fate.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2024, 3:01 AM

As a resident of central Toronto I do understand the concern around so many people coming in. However from what I see the city is blossoming and doing what it is meant to do which is bring people together. We are getting a wave of really interesting cafes and restaurants opening up that serve as social centres for the newly arrived. And this wave of residents has spurred an overhaul in zoning regulations that has been needed for decades.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdaner View Post
As a resident of central Toronto I do understand the concern around so many people coming in. However from what I see the city is blossoming and doing what it is meant to do which is bring people together. We are getting a wave of really interesting cafes and restaurants opening up that serve as social centres for the newly arrived. And this wave of residents has spurred an overhaul in zoning regulations that has been needed for decades.
I imagine the issues are more noticeable in 10-to-a-house Brampton vs, central Toronto.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 8:21 PM

It's also more so noticeable in the encampments everywhere as a result of skyrocketing rents.

If you already own your own place and aren't trying to move right now, everything can seem pretty normal. Outside of that small world, it's obvious.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 10:29 PM
recession proof

I've had 1 interview between January and March when I've applied to over 100 companies. Unfortunately I have no special degrees in STEM and now being "older" without management experience, I'm being replaced by cheap TFW/immigrants. I heard the one place I got an interview at, the place was most inline with my work experience, hired exclusively TFW. It wasn't even a full-time position!

I'm quite certain if I moved to the South, where I actually have family connections, I'd be able to get a better paying full time job within months, perhaps weeks in the Dallas area. Otherwise, I have some cousins in Vancouver who don't give AF about my predicament, and although it's beautiful, I'm priced out. If I could speak a lick of French, I'd move to Montreal or Eastern Townships tomorrow.

I have a useless arts/fashion background, and have mostly been a shy, timid autistic person working in manufacturing jobs. I literally have zero family/connections in Toronto/Ontario and wonder wtf I'm here. (I suspect I'll be rennovicted soon.)

Last edited by urbandreamer; Apr 15, 2024 at 10:44 PM.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
I've had 1 interview between January and March when I've applied to over 100 companies. Unfortunately I have no special degrees in STEM and now being "older" without management experience, I'm being replaced by cheap TFW/immigrants. I heard the one place I got an interview at, the place was most inline with my work experience, hired exclusively TFW. It wasn't even a full-time position!

I'm quite certain if I moved to the South, where I actually have family connections, I'd be able to get a better paying full time job within months, perhaps weeks in the Dallas area. Otherwise, I have some cousins in Vancouver who don't give AF about my predicament, and although it's beautiful, I'm priced out. If I could speak a lick of French, I'd move to Montreal or Eastern Townships tomorrow.

I have a useless arts/fashion background, and have mostly been a shy, timid autistic person working in manufacturing jobs. I literally have zero family/connections in Toronto/Ontario and wonder wtf I'm here. (I suspect I'll be rennovicted soon.)
Did you ever think about the trades?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kora View Post
Okotoks has been surpassed by the much faster growing Cochrane, west of Calgary. Only difference is that Cochrane is part of the Calgary CMA, while Okotoks soon will be.

Stats Canada, Population estimates, July 1, by census subdivision, 2016 boundaries

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/t1/tbl1...101%2C20220101
When is the release date for 2023? I may never see it in my lifetime!

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
When is the release date for 2023? I may never see it in my lifetime!
My post #675:

Quote:
Originally Posted by micmiko View Post
^^ Yea, exactly.

As for an actual update related to statistics, I’ve emailed StatCan and their next annual CMA release will be on May 22. Seems quite a bit later than other years:

Quote:
The next release date for the Canada's population estimates: Subprovincial areas for 2023 is set to be published on Wednesday, May 22, 2024. Please note that the release dates are subject to change.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 12:48 PM

Inflation rate of 2.9% in March, up from 2.8% in February.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 1:18 PM

and core inflation hits exactly 2% for the first time.

Will be interesting to see the June rate decision. Inflation is "in control", more or less.. but the US fed doesn't look like they are going to cut rates any time soon.

Will the BoC cut rates to help the faltering economy and let the dollar implode, or hold and let the fires keep burning to keep the dollar intact?

I hope nobody has any big US vacation plans this summer..

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
and core inflation hits exactly 2% for the first time.

Will be interesting to see the June rate decision. Inflation is "in control", more or less.. but the US fed doesn't look like they are going to cut rates any time soon.

Will the BoC cut rates to help the faltering economy and let the dollar implode, or hold and let the fires keep burning to keep the dollar intact?

I hope nobody has any big US vacation plans this summer..
I hate to think how low the $Cdn could go if BoC starts cutting rates before the USofA.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 6:58 PM
recession proof

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Did you ever think about the trades?
Briefly, however I'm probably too old and weak for them. I considered either a millwright or electrician apprenticeship available through my then work, but I admit I wasn't popular with the trades. Now I'm thinking about becoming a real estate agent/broker or perhaps car sales, because the physical aspects of manufacturing jobs are becoming intolerable, as well as the mandatory night shifts.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 7:11 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

OT but Bank of Canada head Tiff Macklem's full name is Richard Tiffany Macklem, and yet he chose to go by the name Tiff, and not Richard, Rick, Dick, Ricky...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada