HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 2:28 PM

^ I don't think that is what it's going to look like. Retail fronting Smallman was planned there. Unless they altered it.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 2:45 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

I am surprised how big this building is as you drive passed it on the Veteran's bridge.

https://nextpittsburgh.com/city-desi...trip-district/

The parking garage doesn't seem to be shown, or at least not in the same position as the renderings. It does seem to be way more prominent at street level than expected.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 2:50 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Also, great photos eschaton. Thanks for sharing!

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 4:21 PM

It looks like Burns Scalo changed the design of 'The Vision'. It's not a huge change but still annoying. They have a track record of cheaping out on materials during construction (see the Riviera in Oakland).

Is this allowed? I feel like once the Commission approves a design, you can't change features without going back for another approval.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
That's an odd place to put a new highrise, as it's kinda a low-traffic, quasi-industrial part of North Oakland. It doesn't even directly front on Baum, with another building on the corner. But I'm guessing working with the UI zoning there is a bit more flexible than some other parts of Oakland would be. It might raise less NIMBY ire as well...projects up thataways seem to sail through a lot easier.
It may seem odd on paper, but that block of Melwood actually has quite a few vibrant arts/tech companies and non-profits centered around the Bloomcraft building. I know a bunch of people doing really cool stuff and their offices are over there. Glitterbox Theater had really become a vital performing arts space before the pandemic as well. Add a quick bike ride over to Polish Hill on that little winding back street, and I don't think the location is that strange, actually. I just hope this doesn't put too much upward pressure on their rents.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 4:35 PM

Arts/tech companies and nonprofits don’t seem to be a fit for higher-priced (I’m guessing here) apartments. I imagine that current use in the area has little to do with the decision to demo an existing large building and construct new “luxury” apartments there. Proximity to Oakland and a changing Centre Ave. is the likely motivation.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Arts/tech companies and nonprofits don’t seem to be a fit for higher-priced (I’m guessing here) apartments. I imagine that current use in the area had little to do with the decision to demo an existing large building and construct new “luxury” apartments there. Proximity to Oakland and a changing Centre Ave. is the likely motivation.
Fair point. I'm just saying that I quite like that street as a place to live, personally. It may be industrial in aesthetic, but that's not what is going on there.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
Fair point. I'm just saying that I quite like that street as a place to live, personally. It may be industrial in aesthetic, but that's not what is going on there.
yeah, I know what you mean, and my post wasn't meant to refute what you were saying at all. I don't mind the industrial surroundings so much, more the Baum Blvd. corridor/Bigelow split around there. It's just kind of a frantic, auto-dominated environment right around there. It is a convenient spot to get to Oakland, E Liberty, Shadyside, etc, and to Polish Hill and Strip like you mention... so I definitely get that. And with more residential... well hopefully, it morphs into more of a neighborhood feel.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Okay, I fixed them all now.
Thanks, I can see them now! Thanks for the great update, lots of construction happening.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 2:01 PM

That piece of Melwood could actually be pretty great for an apartment building. I worked there for many years in UPMC's building that is basically across the street from the proposed site. There is quite a bit within walking range from there, more than you'd think. And yes, I have eaten at the Indian buffet for lunch, it's been a while, but I don't recall being overly impressed.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 2:53 PM

anyone have any info on what's gonna happen to the former ACE HOTEL in east liberty?

still can't believe that place is gone...

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 5:08 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantyside View Post
anyone have any info on what's gonna happen to the former ACE HOTEL in east liberty?

AaronPGH should have some insight...

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 5:41 PM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmust71 View Post
It looks like Burns Scalo changed the design of 'The Vision'. It's not a huge change but still annoying. They have a track record of cheaping out on materials during construction (see the Riviera in Oakland).

Is this allowed? I feel like once the Commission approves a design, you can't change features without going back for another approval.

Man, that building actually looks great. I also like the levitating biker.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 6:32 PM

Quote:

Last I heard was that there was a very interested and deep-pocketed potential buyer out of DC, but I’m sure those deals take lots of time. Particularly considering that the local group owned the hotel, and was pretty deep in debt... so, there are some creditors in the negotiation mix.

I never really got the Ace. It always seemed to need a lot more to me. I drank and ate there a number of times, and it was fine... but nowhere near as “cool” as it told everyone it was. Just kinda blah, with the assortment of millennial tech-types, and dirty, ratty furniture in the lobby.

Always seemed like some sort of bad pop-up event... and not an expensive hotel. The pandemic obviously hurt, but I think the “market” was having its way with the business (i.e., people began to catch on to the charade).

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Last I heard was that there was a very interested and deep-pocketed potential buyer out of DC, but I’m sure those deals take lots of time. Particularly considering that the local group owned the hotel, and was pretty deep in debt... so, there are some creditors in the negotiation mix.

I never really got the Ace. It always seemed to need a lot more to me. I drank and ate there a number of times, and it was fine... but nowhere near as “cool” as it told everyone it was. Just kinda blah, with the assortment of millennial tech-types, and dirty, ratty furniture in the lobby.

Always seemed like some sort of bad pop-up event... and not an expensive hotel. The pandemic obviously hurt, but I think the “market” was having its way with the business (i.e., people began to catch on to the charade).
spent quite a few afternoons there sitting at the bar - always seemed to be a good flow of people but there was always one thing missing - LUGGAGE, which for a hotel seemed odd to me

it's a great building - hopefully someone will bring it back to life again

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 6:17 PM

Quote:
spent quite a few afternoons there sitting at the bar - always seemed to be a good flow of people but there was always one thing missing - LUGGAGE, which for a hotel seemed odd to me

it's a great building - hopefully someone will bring it back to life again
Yeah, haha... I think the bar and the restaurant did the lion's share of the business.

It was a pretty decent bar, I thought. Sometimes at night when I was there, it just seemed to have a bit of a self-important vibe, where it didn't seem like people were really having that much fun... or maybe it just seemed to attract a sizable crowd of socially-awkward types. I'd stop in for a coffee meeting every so often in the morning or afternoon... and I agree with what you said... good bit of activity in and out, but didn't seem like too many people were actual hotel guests.

I mean, the prices were pretty insane for the quality of the rooms, in my opinion. It seemed like the ultra-minimalist style of the rooms didn't quite square with the types of guests who could afford the room rates.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 6:36 PM

my bad on assuming the windowless concrete wall on the parking garage was the final product - my judgement was clouded by this monstrosity behind bakery square which is the final product

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 1:06 PM

Pittsburgh Business Times has a bit more information regarding the planned new 128-unit apartment building in Oakland. It's ten stories, market rate, and does not need any variances to be built. Planned start date is late 2021/early 2022.

Oh, and there's a full rendering, unlike that partial picture on OPDC's website.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 2:00 PM

Someone is assembling property on the 400 block of Wood Street downtown. The speculation is PNC is moving towards constructing a new tower.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 2:01 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
"Approaching the new office building (I believe it's called District 15 2.0?) in the Strip."

the smallman street elevation of the prefab concrete parking garage is UNACCEPTABLY AWFUL - how does crap like this get approved?

Quote:
my bad on assuming the windowless concrete wall on the parking garage was the final product - my judgement was clouded by this monstrosity behind bakery square which is the final product

It is misleading, because it doesn't look like there's a lot of depth for commercial space, from the angle of those photos. And yeah, that bakery square parking garage looks like a prison.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations