HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Salesforce Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 2:34 PM
More of that.

Of the new supertalls going in across the U.S. I think this one will be the prettiest, sleekest, poetic. Philly's is very industrial, strong, and beastly looking. L.A.'s is.. **thinks of positive words** ..unique, interestingly shaped..

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Scale View Post
Of the new supertalls going in across the U.S. I think this one will be the prettiest, sleekest, poetic. Philly's is very industrial, strong, and beastly looking. L.A.'s is.. **thinks of positive words** ..unique, interestingly shaped..
Well said - the elegance of Salesforce Tower's form is striking, and it's sun-shade lattice facade will distinguish it from all of the massive all-glass walls on skylines these days. And you are being so diplomatically kind about L.A.'s Wilshire Grand, in keeping with the intended tone of this forum - it certainly is "interestingly shaped" with its awkward humpback roofline, asymmetrical bulge, and flimsy tacked-on spire (Philly's Comcast Tower II's spire is far more robust and better integrated). L.A.- and Korean Air Lines - didnt go starchitect as SF with Pelli and Philly with Foster did, sticking with locals AC Martin for design. The results are less than compelling.

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 11:46 PM

Last edited by botoxic; May 27, 2016 at 9:43 PM. Reason: addition of 3rd & 4th photos

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky's the Limit View Post
Well said - the elegance of Salesforce Tower's form is striking, and it's sun-shade lattice facade will distinguish it from all of the massive all-glass walls on skylines these days.
Salesforce is the third version of the same design by Pelli. Of the three, it is the least distinctive and elegant. When Pelli is not inspired by the city or the client, he repeats himself in a bad way.

As to its sun-shade lattice facade, it is a further elaboration of the gothic-inspired curtain walls Pelli has always done. Those who know Pelli's work will see traces of the 777 tower (color and lattice) and the Yale-Malone Building (sunshade). In short, very little that is new here.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 8:13 PM

And the Empire State Building is a knock off of the Chrysler Building design.

Point is, timeless shapes get reused all the time. The obelisk dates back thousands of years.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 10:56 PM
More of that.

^ouch

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 11:00 PM
More of that.

Speaking of which, Google image search 'Pelli Santiago' to see the glass curtain version.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 2:27 AM

I find truly heart-warming the kindness and consideration shown by those from LA and all over the country, their concern that San Francisco's amazing and unparalleled natural beauty is about to be sullied with an obscene, unoriginal copycat of a tower necessitating repeat visits to issue dire warnings similar to those previously given. But really, no one will be able to judge the final product until it is just that - finished. Speaking of which, floors six and seven appear to be fire-proofed; will those be the first to receive cladding? A few miscellaneous photos from today:

@DJSnM on Twitter

@charlieisaacs on Twitter

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 5:27 PM
SimCity World Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDVArch View Post
Salesforce is the third version of the same design by Pelli. Of the three, it is the least distinctive and elegant. When Pelli is not inspired by the city or the client, he repeats himself in a bad way.

As to its sun-shade lattice facade, it is a further elaboration of the gothic-inspired curtain walls Pelli has always done. Those who know Pelli's work will see traces of the 777 tower (color and lattice) and the Yale-Malone Building (sunshade). In short, very little that is new here.
777 and the Malone Building? You're stretching more than Gumby.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 9:50 PM

Quote:

On the contrary, I believe Pelli's Salesforce Tower is the finest articulation of his obelisk motif. That's my opinion and I'm sticking with it. And my opinion is no less right or wrong than yours. Pelli is hardly the first or only architect who "repeats himself". Architects, as designers, have a signature style and maintain design themes in their portfolios. Line up Gehry's Walt Disney Concert Hall, Guggenheim Bilbao, and Bard College's Fisher Center next to each other and they appear to merge into the same builiding. Same is true of Richard Meier's work. SOM essentially produced the same office tower with slight variations in business districts around the country for decades. Their Alcoa Building in SF is just a shorter version of their Hancock Tower in Chicago. Criticizing Pelli for his adherence to thematic expression is akin to dismissing Renoir because all of his paintings look alike.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2016, 4:06 PM

Quote:

I can see shades of Two international Finance Center Hong Kong as well, which isn't a problem with me. I like Pelli's expression in the façade.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2016, 8:47 PM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky's the Limit View Post
On the contrary, I believe Pelli's Salesforce Tower is the finest articulation of his obelisk motif. That's my opinion and I'm sticking with it. And my opinion is no less right or wrong than yours. Pelli is hardly the first or only architect who "repeats himself". Architects, as designers, have a signature style and maintain design themes in their portfolios. Line up Gehry's Walt Disney Concert Hall, Guggenheim Bilbao, and Bard College's Fisher Center next to each other and they appear to merge into the same builiding. Same is true of Richard Meier's work. SOM essentially produced the same office tower with slight variations in business districts around the country for decades. Their Alcoa Building in SF is just a shorter version of their Hancock Tower in Chicago. Criticizing Pelli for his adherence to thematic expression is akin to dismissing Renoir because all of his paintings look alike.
Great response. This building is elegant and will stand the test of time, Pelli's buildings dont stray into the obscure or trendy which I why I like him.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 11:49 PM

The first photo shows the installation of level 21 & 22 steel. The next two are a few different angles taken this weekend (20 stories tall).

@digitizedmind on Twitter

1st Street by Sergio Ruiz, on Flickr

Howard Street by Sergio Ruiz, on Flickr

Last edited by botoxic; Jun 15, 2016 at 12:37 AM. Reason: add first photo

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 8:06 AM

Around floor 25 building starts to taper (at least in the original 1,070 ft. Schematics)

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakamesalad View Post
Around floor 25 building starts to taper (at least in the original 1,070 ft. Schematics)
Yep, specifically at the top of floor 25 (@382 feet)

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 5:05 PM

Can someone ask one of the workers when glass will start to show up?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 2:26 AM

Salesforce - View up Mission Street

I had not been by the Salesforce construction site for a long time. It will make quite a presence when finished.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Jbtg3m]
06/16/2016

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 4:10 AM

View inside the core.
credits from the salesforce instagram page
image hosting

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 5:38 PM

Salesforce Tower overload on Twitter today:

@Benioff on Twitter

@rolandlisf on Twitter

@HinzeBruce on Twitter

Ferry sighting:

@_johnbrock on Twitter

Old Posted Jun 18, 2016, 8:22 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture