Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 2:44 PM

Purchase vs lease

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
Re: FUZZY MATH on Stat Farm Project in AZ BUS Journal

Emphasis added.

Purchase ≠ Lease
Nick, I know what a purchase vs a lease is. If you purchase a property for 15 million and then turn around and lease it for the FULL TERM OF THE LEASE amount up front for 10 million you just lost 5 million dollars for the term of the lease. I would assume the lease is at least 30 years. The point being that math doesn't make sense unless she meant to say 100 million. What advantage would ASU have in buying part of a parcel that they didn't own and then taking that plus the other part of it they already owned and leasing the entire property for the full term of the lease for less then they bought a portion of it for? Where is the money for the stadium in that?

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post
Nick, I know what a purchase vs a lease is. If you purchase a property for 15 million and then turn around and lease it for the FULL TERM OF THE LEASE amount up front for 10 million you just lost 5 million dollars for the term of the lease. I would assume the lease is at least 30 years. The point being that math doesn't make sense unless she meant to say 100 million. What advantage would ASU have in buying part of a parcel that they didn't own and then taking that plus the other part of it they already owned and leasing the entire property for the full term of the lease for less then they bought a portion of it for? Where is the money for the stadium in that?
Even though some of this land is in the area that was proposed for the Facilities Improvements District, but the article mentions that both this project and the hotel would not be taken into consideration for this. And it kinda makes sense. By adding such a big project to the area, ASU gains a huge magnet for future housing projects in the Rio Salado Eco District, as well as big demand for retail and other services. The EcoDistrict will also have some very stringent sustainable guidelines, so maybe ASU kept this project out of it in fear that placing limitations on such a large project would cause it to move elsewhere.

So what does ASU gain? ASU owns the land and therefore the buildings that are built on it. Therefore, any improvements on the property (such as the improvements to the linear lakeside park mentioned in the article) benefit ASU. Basically, ASU is getting all of the buildings built for them, at a ridiculous cost of 5 million. They aren't dumb.

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
To whomever said city what's trianges/sails incorporated into lake development projects, I find that horribly tacky and hope it's untrue. Given the massive buidings projected to be built between Rural and Mill, the last thing we need is a row of similar, blue-glass triangular buildings.
Haha, yes, giant glass triangles would be interesting but that is not what I meant. They city is hoping to incorporate "marine-like" qualities into each development. For instance, the Bridgeview Condos look like waterfront buildings you would find in San Diego. The rounded top floors look like the bridge of a ship; hence, Bridgeview. The KPMG building was designed oblong to look like the shape of a sailboat with a mast-like spire over the crown. Argo has cool sails that will be illuminated with LEDs...each have unique aspects and not every building will need sails, per se, incorporated into the design. However, many of the shade structures near the SmithBarney building of Hayden Ferry do look like sails and I'm sure that will probably carry over into the new public plaza for Marina Heights.

As for ASU's lease/purchase deal...there is certainly a little more detail that has not been revealed. For instance, in lieu of paying property or, in State Farms case, rental taxes they will pay a yearly fee on top of the lease agreement. That yearly, mandatory fee wasn't addressed in any of the articles so far. It is not clear if that was calculated into the lease contract or if it will be billed separately.

Last edited by phxSUNSfan; May 30, 2013 at 12:09 AM.

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxSUNSfan View Post
Haha, yes, giant glass triangles would be interesting but that is not what I meant. They city is hoping to incorporate "marine-like" qualities into each development. For instance, the Bridgeview Condos look like waterfront buildings you would find in San Diego. The rounded top floors look like the bridge of a ship; hence, Bridgeview. The KPMG building was designed oblong to look like the shape of a sailboat with a mast-like spire over the crown. Argo has cool sails that will be illuminated with LEDs...each have unique aspects and not every building will need sails, per se, incorporated into the design. However, many of the shade structures near the SmithBarney building of Hayden Ferry do look like sails and I'm sure that will probably carry over into the new public plaza for Marina Heights.

As for ASU's lease/purchase deal...there is certainly a little more detail that has not been revealed. For instance, in lieu of paying property or, in State Farms case, rental taxes they will pay a yearly fee on top of the lease agreement. That yearly, mandatory fee wasn't addressed in any of the articles so far. It is not clear if that was calculated into the lease contract or if it will be billed separately.
I get ya, and this rant is not directed at you, But, I still don't like any attempts to harmonize the design of an entire downtown. Imagine if all waterfront in Manhattan needed water references?

What Tempe actuallly needs from a visual standpoint is as much variety as possible. The majority is blue glass and white sails or triangles. The only time it starts looking like it might not have been built overnight by one developer is when the mill comes into view along with the Orchidhouse condos.

I don't see anything wrong with a 12-story brick building being built on the lake. If it is designed to take advantage of the views, uses large windows, patios, etc. - why not? I am so so glad HFL went no further. A stretch wretch of identical buildings would have been dreadful.

I have no problem with some developments adding these touches, but that flair needs to be accent work. A shoreline filled with white sails, and the beauty and uniqueness of TCA and the bridge will be gone. In fact, I'd argue development in that immediate area should stay clear of white fabric accents of triangles to provide a clear backdrop for those public investments to stand out, as they really are quite impressive. Let's not make them ordinary.

Look at Mill Ave- it thrives because of the variety if its historic stock. Setting guidelines for sameness, while not caring that garages like the one at HFL orvparking lot at TCA are created makes me think some priorities are off in terms of how the lake is developed.

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 2:59 PM

If you look at the most recent Tempe Development Commission meeting, there was a new proposal for an office complex south of the purposed 14 story tower at the Fountainhead Centre near I 10 and Broadway. Their are four buildings staggered from 12-3 stories. Interesting renderings even if they are only conceptual at this point. http://www.tempe.gov/Modules/ShowDoc...cumentid=18237

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 3:25 PM

Quote:
I get ya, and this rant is not directed at you, But, I still don't like any attempts to harmonize the design of an entire downtown. Imagine if all waterfront in Manhattan needed water references?

What Tempe actuallly needs from a visual standpoint is as much variety as possible. The majority is blue glass and white sails or triangles. The only time it starts looking like it might not have been built overnight by one developer is when the mill comes into view along with the Orchidhouse condos.

I don't see anything wrong with a 12-story brick building being built on the lake. If it is designed to take advantage of the views, uses large windows, patios, etc. - why not? I am so so glad HFL went no further. A stretch wretch of identical buildings would have been dreadful.

I have no problem with some developments adding these touches, but that flair needs to be accent work. A shoreline filled with white sails, and the beauty and uniqueness of TCA and the bridge will be gone. In fact, I'd argue development in that immediate area should stay clear of white fabric accents of triangles to provide a clear backdrop for those public investments to stand out, as they really are quite impressive. Let's not make them ordinary.

Look at Mill Ave- it thrives because of the variety if its historic stock. Setting guidelines for sameness, while not caring that garages like the one at HFL orvparking lot at TCA are created makes me think some priorities are off in terms of how the lake is developed.
Mill Ave. actually did have guidelines to create some sort of uniformity. New buildings built along Mill had to use brick in one way or another.

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 3:34 PM

You were right about them not being dumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arquitect View Post
Even though some of this land is in the area that was proposed for the Facilities Improvements District, but the article mentions that both this project and the hotel would not be taken into consideration for this. And it kinda makes sense. By adding such a big project to the area, ASU gains a huge magnet for future housing projects in the Rio Salado Eco District, as well as big demand for retail and other services. The EcoDistrict will also have some very stringent sustainable guidelines, so maybe ASU kept this project out of it in fear that placing limitations on such a large project would cause it to move elsewhere.

So what does ASU gain? ASU owns the land and therefore the buildings that are built on it. Therefore, any improvements on the property (such as the improvements to the linear lakeside park mentioned in the article) benefit ASU. Basically, ASU is getting all of the buildings built for them, at a ridiculous cost of 5 million. They aren't dumb.
But not for the reason you cited. What you missed and I have subsequently found out, and if I understand it correctly, is that in this Stadium District all property tax will go to the university. I am not sure yet if this project is part of that and it would have been nice if the person who wrote that article would have researched that question. I would assume it most probably is part of that and that would explain why they would take the loss on purchasing the property and possibly not reaping benefit until after at the expiration/renewal of the lease, which might be something like 30 years.

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
If you look at the most recent Tempe Development Commission meeting, there was a new proposal for an office complex south of the purposed 14 story tower at the Fountainhead Centre near I 10 and Broadway. Their are four buildings staggered from 12-3 stories. Interesting renderings even if they are only conceptual at this point. http://www.tempe.gov/Modules/ShowDoc...cumentid=18237
For a corporate office area they look interesting, especially if you compare them to the fountainhead center. I hope that they don't value engineer the heck out of it.

I really like how as you are driving in from the freeway, you see that pocket of density before the butte. I just wish the city could do something to connect those offices to the rest of the city. Currently, the only "real" real way to get there is driving. And hence the several parking garages in the area.

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post
But not for the reason you cited. What you missed and I have subsequently found out, and if I understand it correctly, is that in this Stadium District all property tax will go to the university. I am not sure yet if this project is part of that and it would have been nice if the person who wrote that article would have researched that question. I would assume it most probably is part of that and that would explain why they would take the loss on purchasing the property and possibly not reaping benefit until after at the expiration/renewal of the lease, which might be something like 30 years.
That is true, and we spoke about that when the Rio Salado EcoDistrict was proposed. There actually is no property tax in ASU owned land. So what the university is doing is charging what would be equivalent to a property tax to fund the payments on the loans for fixing the stadium. (Stadium repairs are starting before the district is even built).

That being said, the university still greatly benefits from any improvements done. There really is no loss for them in this deal.

What I find interesting is the city matching money for any improvements done to the linear park along the lake. Taking into consideration that they will not be receiving property taxes from this development, it is a bold move. Their return on investment will definitely come from a greater demand for housing and services in the area.

Last edited by Arquitect; May 30, 2013 at 6:30 PM.

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 5:47 PM

Quote:
I think sometimes you take your criticisms to the extreme. First, while HFL does have some matching features, like the blue glass, the condos stand apart from the company buildings...you wouldn't confuse them in other words. Developing some buildings along the south shore isn't the "entire" downtown either, so variety will no doubt be seen all over Tempe. For instance, and as was noted, brick accents are required along Mill. And you can see different styles of buildings in ASU's campus south of the buttes taking a nice modern look with Block 12 and the Fulton Center. The lake will have its unique characteristics as well.

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxSUNSfan View Post
I think sometimes you take your criticisms to the extreme. First, while HFL does have some matching features, like the blue glass, the condos stand apart from the company buildings...you wouldn't confuse them in other words. Developing some buildings along the south shore isn't the "entire" downtown either, so variety will no doubt be seen all over Tempe. For instance, and as was noted, brick accents are required along Mill. And you can see different styles of buildings in ASU's campus south of the buttes taking a nice modern look with Block 12 and the Fulton Center. The lake will have its unique characteristics as well.
I completely agree. There is little that can be done to prevent the lakeside from having multi-building developments. It is the way it was planned out; several large projects with lots of acreage. Yet, I also believe that the designs proposed have not really become identical copies of each-other. Hayden Ferry definitely has a look to it, but there is some variety within it. Argo doesn't really seem to be a copy of it either (and lets not get confused, Argo is not actually on the lake).

The projects that have resurfaced, or being proposed lately, are also not necessarily monotonous either. We are going to see some variety in heights and design. The "marine" concept can be stretched quite a bit, it is not just sails and shapes, without a doubt, the designers will want to show their own twist on the matter.

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 7:21 PM

Quote:
The projects that have resurfaced, or being proposed lately, are also not necessarily monotonous either. We are going to see some variety in heights and design. The "marine" concept can be stretched quite a bit, it is not just sails and shapes, without a doubt, the designers will want to show their own twist on the matter.
Exactly...the sails and shapes were just examples of what can be, and what has been, done along the lake. I don't think Argo looks like anything on or near the lake thus far...just proves the point that the "marine, waterfront, sailboat, etc." concept can vary greatly while still incorporating a theme. I was hoping to make the City Council Meeting today in Tempe regarding the Marina Heights development, but won't be able to make it.

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 1:50 AM

Quote:
I completely agree. There is little that can be done to prevent the lakeside from having multi-building developments. It is the way it was planned out; several large projects with lots of acreage. Yet, I also believe that the designs proposed have not really become identical copies of each-other. Hayden Ferry definitely has a look to it, but there is some variety within it. Argo doesn't really seem to be a copy of it either (and lets not get confused, Argo is not actually on the lake).

Oh, I think HFL is just fine the way it is now. I'm just glad it sold off most of its property. The original site duplicated building after building toward close to Rural. I think HFL > Oliver McMillan > Marina Heights wil bring plenty of visual interest in theory.
ETA: I combined the following two images in my head to think the row of condos continued indefinitely. Regardless, I am glad other developers have gotten involved on that side of the shore.
http://www.ccim.com/cire-magazine/ar...ed-use-matures
http://www.haydenferry.com/assets/im...c/siteplan.jpg

I just don't think I'll ever agree that every lakefront development needs to reference the sea... Just seems tacky and limiting. I think projects that were special and made investments in their design, like the bridge and TCA, turned out fantastic, but I would hate to see what the people behind The Hub would have ended up turning out, for example. Seems to just have a high risk for going theme park real quick. But, maybe every project will look like Argo, TCA, etc.? I'm willing to quit bitching til a giant sailboat gets erected on the former Onyx site.

Also, the lake isn't all of downtown, but unfortunately, that's really the only/most common view of the city you get with the 202 being elevated and such, and I don't think I'm being overly critical in saying a mix of what is currently there - which really is predominantly blue glass buildings right now that dominate the view - with some more traditional looking structures would look nice for variety.

That's all... And, interesting to know that Mill requires brick be used. I think the use if brick across so many different styles/generations might make it feel less forced, whereas all the outer development is happening during an era iof similar trends? Idk- just thoughts. Didn't mean to be overly critical.

Last edited by Jjs5056; May 31, 2013 at 2:01 AM.

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Oh, I think HFL is just fine the way it is now. I'm just glad it sold off most of its property. The original site duplicated building after building toward close to Rural...Didn't mean to be overly critical.
It isn't that you are always overly critical, that was probably poor word choice in this instance...more like a little extreme in your interpretations. For instance, when I was describing shade structures you took it to mean that giant, glass triangles would be built. Also, lakefront development doesn't mean the "sea" is being referenced. That's a new one...

I do agree that all the original HFL projects would be a bit much. There were supposed to be 3 more buildings almost exactly like Bridgeview. I can see the monotony in that. However, the other buildings you are describing, like Onyx, fell outside of the "marine" themed area. I believe it only went from Rural west to the pedestrian bridge. I am not so sure that "traditional" buildings would fit in well in this area. Perhaps some brick accents, but I think the direction is already set and no one said that "blue glass" was required. I think that might be another one of your extreme misinterpretations.

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 3:44 AM

Quote:

Also, the lake isn't all of downtown, but unfortunately, that's really the only/most common view of the city you get with the 202 being elevated and such, and I don't think I'm being overly critical in saying a mix of what is currently there - which really is predominantly blue glass buildings right now that dominate the view - with some more traditional looking structures would look nice for variety.
We can be thankful that HF didn't extend all that way. I think that the extent of its current project is a good enough size. Hopefully they fill up their two empty lots soon. I really would like to see the proposal of the hotel back, but I'd be happy with either offices or residential as well.

I do have an issue with the use of the word traditional when referring to architecture. It is nothing personal, but it is a statement that gets thrown out a lot by people, especially those who dislike Modern and contemporary design. What makes traditional buildings awesome is their age, and attention to detail. What people seem to forget is that it really can't be replicated, at least not without looking cheap or tacky. Many of the "old stock" buildings were built in a time when labor cost where much much cheaper, hence doing such beautiful and elaborate designs was feasible. Nowadays, that is nearly impossible, so instead we get brick veneers instead of brick buildings, or stucco instead of stone. It ends up being a caricature of what it was supposed to be. Contemporary design is much more than just glass boxes, and we have some great examples of that here in the valley. I completely agree with you that we need more than just blue tinted glass in the lake, but I would much rather see great contemporary buildings (using different materials of course), instead of tacky post-modern interpretations of the traditional. It would be so much grater to create a story of our present through the design, instead of trying to fabricate a history of a past that was never there. The lake is contemporary, and deserves great contemporary building that represent how great of an idea it was to create it.

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 4:28 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:

I do have an issue with the use of the word traditional when referring to architecture. It is nothing personal, but it is a statement that gets thrown out a lot by people, especially those who dislike Modern and contemporary design. What makes traditional buildings awesome is their age, and attention to detail. What people seem to forget is that it really can't be replicated, at least not without looking cheap or tacky. Many of the "old stock" buildings were built in a time when labor cost where much much cheaper, hence doing such beautiful and elaborate designs was feasible. Nowadays, that is nearly impossible, so instead we get brick veneers instead of brick buildings, or stucco instead of stone. It ends up being a caricature of what it was supposed to be. Contemporary design is much more than just glass boxes, and we have some great examples of that here in the valley. I completely agree with you that we need more than just blue tinted glass in the lake, but I would much rather see great contemporary buildings (using different materials of course), instead of tacky post-modern interpretations of the traditional. It would be so much grater to create a story of our present through the design, instead of trying to fabricate a history of a past that was never there. The lake is contemporary, and deserves great contemporary building that represent how great of an idea it was to create it.
Amen to all of this!

Buildings should reflect their time and place and to some degree their creator. That way when we look back on them 50 years hence, they tell us something about that time and place in history. Building faux historic buildings is what Disneyland is for.

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 6:06 AM

Quote:
We can be thankful that HF didn't extend all that way. I think that the extent of its current project is a good enough size. Hopefully they fill up their two empty lots soon. I really would like to see the proposal of the hotel back, but I'd be happy with either offices or residential as well.

Regarding Hayden Ferry
Happy to see someone agree with me that HFL is fine contained as is. And, glad you mentioned the remaining two pads- I honestly wish they'd sell them off. I know I have been called overly critical, but the whole development has failed at connecting the life of downtown to the lake. Additionally, not only does it fail to address Rio Salado AT ALL, it turns a giant, massive parking structure toward two of this city's iconic landmarks: the mill and butte.

Maybe someone else could try to develop a gateway building at the Mill/Rio intersection. This building, at the very least, should address the corner, which the third building rendering does not. An expansive lobby with floor to ceiling windows exposing the views of the site (since honestly I still have no idea where anything would be) with a coffee stand, newsstand, food trucks and large suspended art depicting the lake's transformation would give visitors a reason to come over, check it out and then lead on out and enjoy the retail and outdoor amenities. I do think a hotel would be best for the other pad, though, with residential an alternative. With ASU moving forward with the stadium district, you'd think at least one hotelier would be interested in offering it's 4-star brand and be the only hotel of that class downtown, and only hotel on the lake. That development needs as many 24/7 visitors as possible to liven it up so I'd be disappointed in office. This pad is also the only chance at finally addressing Rio- would it make sense at that point given it would essentially be a standalone retail store? Sigh.

Regarding More Variety of Architecture in Tempe
Now, to address your other points. For starters, I am not an architect, an urban planner, a city planner... Heck, I work in marketing. But, I have a passion for how cities are designed and look from an aesthetic standpoint, and for how the uses come together from an analytical standpoint. There will be many times I use a word or two wrong, but I am educated and have taste. While I appreciated your message, I was slightly insulted for a couple of reasons:

Looking back, maybe I could have said simple, or different, or heck there are probably plenty modern or contemporary designs that would work instead of traditional; regardless, we were having a conversation about adding sails to buildings in the area- at that point, very little would be considered non-traditional in comparison to sail-ship inspired highrises. And, that is where you looked passed my point, which was that in an area that is currently filled with a sea of blue-glass contemporary buildings, modern/totally unique structures like TCA or that space-inspired Marriott, and we prepare for future sail-like structures (assumably blue-glass), I was just saying that it would be nice to mix in one or two midrises that fill in this popular view of downtown and the skyline and provide contrast and variety. And, a traditional type of structure was the easiest type providing that contrast.

Did I want to recreate a faux historic Victorian home? No. And, that is a very simplistic take definition of traditional. A rough idea would be a 12-story rectangular midrise on the W6 parking lot would have its first two floors (retail, gym, leasing office, etc.) covered in a light Arizona limestone; the next ten would use a lot of light gray glass trimmed in a walnut-stained desert ironwood to contrast the limestone. Outside would be desert landscaping. In totality, the entire structure would be traditional (in its formal block of uses and shape, use of local materials, native colors), fill in gaps within the skyline, create variety, and contrast the more contemporary structures that currently dominate the foreground. I would never, ever advocate for faux or cheap materials/structures. I love all forms of architecture and love when we get to see development in Tempe, Phoenix, etc. that takes a risk on innovative design.

What I asked for was a response to a very specific situation: that a traditional structure or two be added to create contrast and provide a backdrop for the more unique structures in the foreground of a view of the city that can only capture a handful of structures, many of which are very similar. Additionally, this was all a theoretical discussion. If I thought a low rise built of all brick would look best, there's nothing wrong with that. That's the architects and project managers who need to deal with the cost of their projects, not the dreamers on here. And, if I think an all-brick building would look great in one place, that doesn't mean I am against modern, contemporary, or any other form of design. In fact, my main point was wanting variety.

I hope that helps explain what I was imagining a bit better.

Last edited by Jjs5056; May 31, 2013 at 6:36 AM.

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 1:42 PM

Random pictures around Tempe

Hi guys,
I snapped some pictures over this weekend around downtown Tempe and wanted to share. The first couple are of the Architekton expansion right at Fifth and Farmer. I love their style to begin with (TCA, Tempe Transit Center etc.) and I can't wait to see what their building looks like when its done!
Then you'll see some pics of The Hub- but what caught my eye was the ground floor retail is now very noticeable and looking pretty good!
Last you'll see Block 12 under construction. It's moving pretty fast!

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 1:56 PM

Wow, block 12 is moving fast. .. ill be excited to see the progress by the time asu football season rolls around.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2013, 3:49 AM

I found a FB page for the Farmer Studios II that has renderings and construction updates.
http://www.facebook.com/FarmerStudiosII

Also, block 12 appears to be half way up with structure, it's only supposed to be five or six floors.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest