HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeymourDrake View Post
Don't rewrite the script to fit your agenda. Also don't put words in my mouth.

i asked where will they go? As in another campsite, another area of the city, spread out around the city? Jail? Mental health facility etc.

Read it slow, it might register that way.
You've put plenty of words in your own mouth, so you'll have to forgive my conjecture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
There is a small segment that essentially can't "play by the rules" of basic civic society.

We have a ton of housing coming online in the next year or so for the homeless. We'll see what happens with this fringe minority when those spaces open up.

The end of COVID will help too, current spacing requirements don't allow as many people to be housed in existing facilities.
Indeed. Perhaps the City should enforce better screening; AFAIK they let said fringe stay anywhere, and that scares the law-abiding ones back on the street to slip further into the deep end.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 12:31 AM

In the absence of actual homes for the homeless, how hard could it be to build basic shelters for people out on the street? Buy a warehouse or some kind of industrial space and rebuild it to accommodate a number of very basic units with a bed and an outlet. Jesus, even a storage locker would be infinitely belter than out on the street.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 1:02 AM

And that is where you need to draw the line for basic social standards.

Those who are unwilling to enter free safe social housing due to severe mental illness should be hospitalized and taken care of, for those who aren’t mentally ill that refuse such shelter, well, tough shit, you can’t create permanent camps in public places. Camping over night but packed up and gone by 7, fine, shanty town, no.

Being homeless by choice shouldn’t be a free pass to do whatever you want.

Same goes for shitting outside, I agree that more public washroom facilities should be provided, but with that provision if someone says they still want to shit outside, well, no, you can’t.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 2:48 AM
Joshua B.

The segment of males that refuse modular housing and shelters generally do so because they do not wish to abide by the rules. Bringing 10 bikes into a unit at a social housing site will attract attention. Also, those units near 29th Ave Stn were destroyed within the first few months for scrap metal.

The problem is BC taxpayers are shouldering the responsibility that should fall on the federal government. A lot of these criminals or lunatics are coming into the province. The recent stabber came from Quebec and had a rap sheet, the other two that killed that elderly woman in Vancouver also had a criminal record in 2 other provinces.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 2:53 AM

one of the big issues with shelters is that they don't give you your own private space, but it should be relatively easy to build a basic individual shelter with walls. I don't see too many homeless having a huge inventory of stolen goods, so that's not a problem for most.

Even a large industrial building where people can put up their tents would be better than being outside.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicbomb View Post
The segment of males that refuse modular housing and shelters generally do so because they do not wish to abide by the rules. Bringing 10 bikes into a unit at a social housing site will attract attention. Also, those units near 29th Ave Stn were destroyed within the first few months for scrap metal.

The problem is BC taxpayers are shouldering the responsibility that should fall on the federal government. A lot of these criminals or lunatics are coming into the province. The recent stabber came from Quebec and had a rap sheet, the other two that killed that elderly woman in Vancouver also had a criminal record in 2 other provinces.
Yep the trash from other provinces seems to roll west until it hits the Pacific. We should be able to deport them.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 7:53 AM

You're all full of shit, sorry not sorry. I have lived in inner city Vancouver for 8 years, it isn't dangerous. Is crime up a little bit? sure, but you are all acting like it's bloody detroit for god sakes when Vancouver still remains one of the safest major cities in North America.

You're allowing a media narrative being driven by a the NPA and BC Liberal establishments to manufacture a problem that isn't there.

Oh and PS: safe injection sites save lives

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
You're all full of shit, sorry not sorry. I have lived in inner city Vancouver for 8 years, it isn't dangerous. Is crime up a little bit? sure, but you are all acting like it's bloody detroit for god sakes when Vancouver still remains one of the safest major cities in North America.

You're allowing a media narrative being driven by a the NPA and BC Liberal establishments to manufacture a problem that isn't there.

Here we go again...

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 5:57 PM

Quote:

No one is buying this narrative anymore.

Its disingenuous and damaging to the community, and most importantly damaging to the people that need help most.

You're entitled to your opinion as anyone, of course. But reality doesn't back up this world view.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
In the absence of actual homes for the homeless, how hard could it be to build basic shelters for people out on the street? Buy a warehouse or some kind of industrial space and rebuild it to accommodate a number of very basic units with a bed and an outlet. Jesus, even a storage locker would be infinitely belter than out on the street.
There was a guy on youtube who lived in a storage locker for a year to save up for a down payment for a house i think.

But lets face it, certain members of society would refuse anything they are offered.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
You've put plenty of words in your own mouth, so you'll have to forgive my conjecture.
Oh you're one of those Karens?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 11:43 PM

Quote:

it's like talking to a wall. Save your energy.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofina View Post
No one is buying this narrative anymore.

Its disingenuous and damaging to the community, and most importantly damaging to the people that need help most.

You're entitled to your opinion as anyone, of course. But reality doesn't back up this world view.
World View based on 1 hour of your evening corporate news?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 12:36 AM

Where is this damn popcorn emoji again ?

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 12:51 AM

Quote:
it's like talking to a wall. Save your energy.
That wall is just the inner edge of the bubble.

Last edited by Klazu; Apr 13, 2021 at 1:28 AM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
Where is this damn popcorn emoji again ?
No kidding. The sudden DTES-denial is hard to watch on an empty stomach.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Oh you're one of those Karens?
I could ask you the same thing. Would've apologized the first time if you hadn't been overly sensitive and douchey about it.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
There is a small segment that essentially can't "play by the rules" of basic civic society.

We have a ton of housing coming online in the next year or so for the homeless. We'll see what happens with this fringe minority when those spaces open up.

The end of COVID will help too, current spacing requirements don't allow as many people to be housed in existing facilities.
There is a huge demand for "free housing with no strings attached" in this city. Hence there will also be more wanting to be homeless to qualify: you can be assured of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
And that is where you need to draw the line for basic social standards.

Those who are unwilling to enter free safe social housing due to severe mental illness should be hospitalized and taken care of, for those who aren’t mentally ill that refuse such shelter, well, tough shit, you can’t create permanent camps in public places. Camping over night but packed up and gone by 7, fine, shanty town, no.

Being homeless by choice shouldn’t be a free pass to do whatever you want.

Same goes for shitting outside, I agree that more public washroom facilities should be provided, but with that provision if someone says they still want to shit outside, well, no, you can’t.
Totally! If anything, this pandemic has shown us how many people in the "free world" are screwing up things for others who follow rules. Selfishness rules here. To put a stop to that, we need some good ol' discipline and order.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 10:39 PM

Quote:
World View based on 1 hour of your evening corporate news?
Seriously? That's the angle you're going to take?

You'll have to try a little harder than that.

You want to measure things or what?

How about this; I have lived in Vancouver for 22 years and I have never seen this much human shit on the streets.

Prove me wrong.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
I could ask you the same thing. Would've apologized the first time if you hadn't been overly sensitive and douchey about it.
apology accepted.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues