HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 12:08 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCTed View Post
Hamilton's terminal looks like a temporary building.
Yep. Despite small periodic expansions and improvements (which have often consisted of fresh paint) over the decades, it's largely the one built in the mid-1980s when the city had an MP who carried some clout.

For now the business case for doing anything big with the terminal will remain poor, unless other passenger airlines can be coaxed to fly here. And airport investments will probably go toward improving freight operations.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Y And airport investments will probably go toward improving freight operations.
Maybe some bus shelters out front for AC lol

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 5:29 PM
Ham-burgher

It would be funny if this wasn't touted as a business that pumps millions of dollars into the local economy and supports thousands of jobs (and it does, though the numbers posted by YHM do need to be taken in context).

On a personal level, while I hope Air Canada's feeble attempt at "serving" the market with a bus to Pearson fails for them, for the airport it may be very important.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 6:20 PM

I don't get why the airport authority even wants the airport bus, unless they basically only care about cargo. Which from a profitability standpoint may make sense.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 6:47 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpgq View Post
I don't get why the airport authority even wants the airport bus, unless they basically only care about cargo. Which from a profitability standpoint may make sense.
Given that AC wasn't serving the airport, it's a bonus.

At the time that decision was made, airport management probably didn't expect the schedule to dry up as it has. EDIT: though they should have been reading the tea leaves.

Last edited by ScreamingViking; Jun 14, 2024 at 7:04 PM.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 9:36 PM

Well, I just booked flights on Play for September, so I'm assuming they're going to stop service any day now...

Old Posted Jun 15, 2024, 1:54 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
Well, I just booked flights on Play for September, so I'm assuming they're going to stop service any day now...
We have a target for blame, now?

Unless Pearson or someone else offers them a gem of a deal that changes their local home-base, I think whatever happens with Play will be about Play's ability to operate.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 4:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeLRS View Post
Westjet's Transborder is doing very well, much better than swoops. The kicker is that the flights on WS are noticeably more expensive too.

February Stats

Hamilton-Tampa: 91% [4136/4536]
Hamilton-Orlando: 92.7% [4558/4914]

If we see any reduction in transborder service next year, the blame has to be put on the airport authority. As of now, both routes are only loaded as a single weekly flight (down from 2-3x weekly), but it's still way to early for it to be finalized. The way the flights are scheduled right now, we'll continue to have an ex-swoop aircraft based in YHM next winter, so I'm interested to see how WS will schedule YHM alongside sunwing.
March Stats

Hamilton-Tampa: 95.4% [4894/5127]
Hamilton-Orlando: 92.2% [4533/4914]

Honestly surprised how well TPA is doing from YHM. My above statement stands, YHM can easily handle 2x weekly to both florida destinations. As of now, we are only scheduled 1x weekly each, its on the airport authority if it remains like this. I wouldn't be shocked if WS doesn't re-add this past seasons frequency due to (a) Westjets hate for YHM and (b) the poor economy right now.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure