HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 5:39 PM

Thanks as always Makid and others, I’m really enjoying the mock ups too Orlando! We are spoiled right now with all these projects. I’m hoping the economic environment holds up to see this boom continue. Fingers crossed, I get the feeling it won’t last. Are any of you getting that feeling with people you might work with or are things still looking good? I figured another year or so before conditions start to change. Starting with financing. Maybe I’m wrong, it’s just some things I’m seeing/ feeling.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boz View Post
Grow a pair.
You guys don’t get it, do you?

Not sure if you all remember me. I used to post and contribute here somewhat regularly, but decided to leave four years ago (you can check my stats; I believe my last post anywhere here was in 2017). Since then, I only come here once a month and just look at the pictures but nothing more.

I always enjoyed the lively debate, even passionate arguments where I could analyze all sides. It was always fun and vibrant. But the childish personal attacks and blatant lack of respect towards me and others slowly became exhausting, and the lack of action by the moderators after I notified them was enough for me to quit posting here. It’s disappointing, because most members here are respectful of one another and contribute valuable content.

Some of my later posts were being regularly ridiculed with commentary that wasn’t relevant by any context by some forum members. When I messaged the moderators, their reaction was to block the troll. At the time, that didn’t work because when a blocked member is quoted, it is displayed regardless of block status. Not sure if this works the same way now.

Later, I began receiving private messages from a particular forum member which I had issues with. These private messages were ridiculous, harassing, and to the level of immature bullying. I never initiated the communication with this member and I never replied. Again, I reached out to the moderators and nothing was done.

I fully respect and understand the members here who have recently announced their departure, though I never made any such announcement and I just decided to remove myself from a toxic environment. Nothing changed four years ago and it’s clear nothing will change now.

**Full Disclosure** Boz was NOT one of the very few forum members I had issues with. I quoted Boz’s response above as a way to illuminate the nature of what is unappealing here.

I’ll close my browser now and return to my lurker status. Many thanks to those of you who took the time to read this, and I greatly appreciate those who continue to contribute photo updates to this forum.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 6:18 PM

W Quarter Phase 2 comments

I really like the design of phase 2also. However, I have a few comments:

I don't like that these out of town architects are coming in and taking over SLC.

Why isn't the hotel component one of the larger towers?

I think it might be better to keep these under 15 stories (unless it's another convention hotel) to push the demand to develop the tons of undeveloped blocks in the downtown core.

I also think the height on this might get vetoe'd because it's out of the CBD. (And, I don't think it's an antiquated zoning requirement.) Aesthetically, I love the height and proportions of the building.

I have doubts that this project will pencil out as designed. I'm betting that this will get reduced significantly.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 7:27 PM
Engineer

Relax everyone

Some great info mixed in though over the last few days, loving these updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Our expanding skyline

I’m really liking this potential view of the skyline. Right now the east west span of the high rises in the skyline is essentially 2 blocks. This would be about 5 blocks, or 3/4 mile. Of course I have my doubts as well.

Last edited by airhero; Mar 20, 2024 at 6:27 PM. Reason: Replaced a reference to a common pharmaceutical to something more appropriate

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Snob View Post
Hmm. Yeah, gott be honest. Think im going to find better behaved forums to lurk on. These "new" trolls just want to cause trouble. Learn some manners people. Being WOKE shouldnt mean being RUDE. Good luck guys. Im out as well.
Do y'all not deal with people who are difficult or ridiculous in your regular life? If I left every time I was around these type of people I don't know how I would get anything accomplished in life. Learning to filter out the noise and when needed, addressing bad behavior, allows me to get through life while dealing with knuckleheads.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Sunny in SLC View Post
Do y'all not deal with people who are difficult or ridiculous in your regular life? If I left every time I was around these type of people I don't know how I would get anything accomplished in life. Learning to filter out the noise and when needed, addressing bad behavior, allows me to get through life while dealing with knuckleheads.
I really think people enjoy being dramatic. Do they want sympathy? Attention? Sign of the times I suppose. Maybe I was just born in a different era where we didn't need to feel offended by everything we encountered. It's surprisingly easy to have a difference of opinion and still act civil and have respect for others. All of us here share at least one thing in common and that's the love of skyscrapers and urban development within our local communities. Exciting times are ahead for us. Let's squash the noise and enjoy the ride Salt Lake is about to embark on.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhero View Post
One word guys: Xanax.

Some great info mixed in though over the last few days, loving these updates.

I’m really liking this potential view of the skyline. Right now the east west span of the high rises in the skyline is essentially 2 blocks. This would be about 5 blocks, or 3/4 mile. Of course I have my doubts as well.
What’s the building in for foreground? Is that Post District?

Also, I like these renderings. What program do you use to make these?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 9:02 PM

I think the skyline stretching out will allow for great and taller infill later. No more wall of buildings.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 9:20 PM
of SLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by justiny View Post
You guys don’t get it, do you?

Not sure if you all remember me. I used to post and contribute here somewhat regularly, but decided to leave four years ago (you can check my stats; I believe my last post anywhere here was in 2017). Since then, I only come here once a month and just look at the pictures but nothing more.

I always enjoyed the lively debate, even passionate arguments where I could analyze all sides. It was always fun and vibrant. But the childish personal attacks and blatant lack of respect towards me and others slowly became exhausting, and the lack of action by the moderators after I notified them was enough for me to quit posting here. It’s disappointing, because most members here are respectful of one another and contribute valuable content.

Some of my later posts were being regularly ridiculed with commentary that wasn’t relevant by any context by some forum members. When I messaged the moderators, their reaction was to block the troll. At the time, that didn’t work because when a blocked member is quoted, it is displayed regardless of block status. Not sure if this works the same way now.

Later, I began receiving private messages from a particular forum member which I had issues with. These private messages were ridiculous, harassing, and to the level of immature bullying. I never initiated the communication with this member and I never replied. Again, I reached out to the moderators and nothing was done.

I fully respect and understand the members here who have recently announced their departure, though I never made any such announcement and I just decided to remove myself from a toxic environment. Nothing changed four years ago and it’s clear nothing will change now.

**Full Disclosure** Boz was NOT one of the very few forum members I had issues with. I quoted Boz’s response above as a way to illuminate the nature of what is unappealing here.

I’ll close my browser now and return to my lurker status. Many thanks to those of you who took the time to read this, and I greatly appreciate those who continue to contribute photo updates to this forum.
I like turtles.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbutah View Post
Webcam should be at Astra now. Sorry, been offline for a few days.
What is this webcam you all speak of? I'd love to see it!

First-time poster, but long-time lurker (just like everyone else).

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 9:29 PM
of SLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBison View Post
What is this webcam you all speak of? I'd love to see it!

First-time poster, but long-time lurker (just like everyone else).

Here-->http://youtah.com/utwxcams.php

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 10:30 PM

I'm hoping the Worthington will allow for more high-rise proposals on the east side of downtown, lets see how it goes

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Thank you!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 1:57 AM

A big thanks to Cottonwood for getting rid of that troll. Apparently, he's been a problem on other threads also. After all the rancid posts he was leaving on this page I was beginning to think he's probably the worst we've seen in a while. Anyway, back to all the great development in Salt Lake City.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 2:21 AM

Quote:
No longer on Astra. Do random individuals have the ability to control it?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 6:13 AM

I wish something would happen on one of the parking lots west of temple square. That spot + west quarter are the biggest gaps in walking east-west downtown imo.

Also, I didn't realize CCR would be moving on to another project right after 95 state but that's awesome to hear and I can't wait

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 9:27 AM

Never mind.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 2:47 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
No longer on Astra. Do random individuals have the ability to control it?
Yeah, I think there are some other individuals not part of these forums who have access to it and change it randomly. At least I think I recall msbutah saying something like that in the past. If you look at it right now it's pointing mostly to the mountains and sky to the northeast of SLC.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockies View Post
I wish something would happen on one of the parking lots west of temple square. That spot + west quarter are the biggest gaps in walking east-west downtown imo.

Also, I didn't realize CCR would be moving on to another project right after 95 state but that's awesome to hear and I can't wait
What project(s) are you referring to? The ones I mentioned?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 3:44 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeder113 View Post
Yeah, I think there are some other individuals not part of these forums who have access to it and change it randomly. At least I think I recall msbutah saying something like that in the past. If you look at it right now it's pointing mostly to the mountains and sky to the northeast of SLC.
I think its main purpose is weather-related. msbutah is our guy on the inside. You can access the feed through other websites, like this one where you can use the slider to see where the camera has been pointing over the last 24+ hours.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West