HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 19, 2017, 3:46 AM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Latvian-American and Detroit-based architect Gunnar Birkerts has passed away at the age of 92. Arriving in the Detroit area during 1949, his time spent here helped add a dose of modernism to the cityscape. His works include;

1300 Lafayette (guy in the middle),

https://1300lafayetteeast.com/

University of Detroit Fisher Brothers Administration Center

http://www.michiganmodern.org/buildi...tration-center

IBM regional offices in Southfield,

IBM Regional Office Building, Southfield (1975) Gunnar Birkerts by Michigan State Historic Preservation Office, on Flickr
http://www.michiganmodern.org/buildi...ffice-building

...and the Calvary Baptist Church in Elmwood Park.

http://www.infinitemiledetroit.com/3..._06_48207.html http://www.michiganmodern.org/buildi...baptist-church

Other works include designs he created while working for Perkins and Will, Eero Saarinen, and Minoru Yamasaki. Quite a few in the Detroit area, many in the Midwest, and some in Europe. RIP to a great local architect.

It seems like Detroit is known for it's 100 year old architecture, but there is quite a lot of modernism built during the middle part of the 20th century. Though it's also when Detroit had its greatest suburban expansion so many cool and unique buildings get lost in the far spreading blandness of suburbia. Well, here's hoping to another 100 years of great architecture in Detroit.

Sad to hear of the passing of this iconic Architect. He also designed the Domino's Farm Complex, and a lesser-known but still interesting campus for Glen Oaks Community College, located near my neck of the woods, outside Centreville, MI (aerial view below):

Source: Panoramio

Old Posted Aug 19, 2017, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Carr Center to move into prime space in downtown Detroit

By SHERRI WELCH
August 18, 2017
Crain's Detroit Business

The Carr Center is temporarily moving in to a high-profile location in downtown Detroit that's owned by Dan Gilbert's Bedrock LLC.

The building at 1505 Woodward Ave. at Clifford is across from the John Varvatos store and recently hosted the "Still Searching" exhibition of Detroit artist Charles McGee who painted the "Unity" mural on the exterior of the 28 Grand Building in Detroit's Capitol Park.

"Our agreement with them is they're welcome to remain in the space indefinitely until a permanent tenant signs on for that space," said Gabrielle Poshadlo, senior communications manager at Bedrock.

“While this current arrangement is temporary, we’ve already begun discussions with (Carr Center President Oliver Ragsdale Jr.) regarding a more permanent solution to keep his organization downtown.”

Bedrock is renting 4,600 square feet on the first floor of the building to the Carr Center at cost. Poshadlo did not provide the per-square-foot rate to cover pass-through costs for things like security and maintenance.

“They came to us, and they were looking for solutions downtown while they figure out what their long-term plan is,” she said. “Happily, we had a space available that worked with their current needs.”

Carr Center will begin operating from the site next week, Ragsdale said.

The Woodward site is one of seven low-cost locations the Carr Center is operating from in Midtown, southwest Detroit and Bloomfield Hills to house its arts and education programs and provide arts groups and artists with space, following its forced move from the Harmonie Club building in Grand River after a failed attempt to buy it.
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...wntown-detroit

Quote:
Is long-vacant Moose Lodge building inching toward renovation?

KIRK PINHO
Crain's Detroit Business
August 18, 2017

Signs are pointing toward an upcoming renovation of the long-vacant Loyal Order of the Moose Lodge building at 2115 Cass Ave. in downtown Detroit.

A document that the Ilitch family's Olympia Development of Michigan filed with the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality last week shows some asbestos cleanup is scheduled to take place over a few days next week, with Detroit-based Qualified Abatement Services Inc. as the contractor.

In addition, there has been parking lot work around the building at Cass Avenue and Elizabeth Street across from Bookie's Bar and Grill recently, as well as some painting done on plywood on window coverings.

Seems to me that historic renovation is in the works. But Olympia is remaining mum to me about any details of a renovation.

I asked Ed Saenz, director of communications for the Detroit-based company, for information Thursday about what's in store for the property, but he only said Olympia has "not announced future plans yet."

The DEQ document lists Detroit-based Olympia as the owner and says the building is 30,000 square feet (although Washington, D.C.-based real estate information service CoStar Group Inc. says it's about 45,000 square feet).

Olympia is spearheading the 45- to 50-block District Detroit project anchored by Little Caesars Arena for the Detroit Red Wings and Detroit Pistons that is set to open next month.

In May, the company announced plans to renovate four other long-vacant buildings around the arena for residential use:

The United Artists Theatre building at 150 Bagley St. with 148 units and first-floor retail space. Construction is to begin this year.
The Hotel Eddystone at 110 Sproat St. with 96 units and first-floor retail space. Construction is planned to begin next year.
The Hotel Fort Wayne with 163 units at 408 Temple St. Construction is to begin next year.
The Alhambra Apartments with 46 units at 100 Temple St. Construction is to begin next year.
Historic Detroit, which tracks the city's buildings and architecture history, says the Moose Lodge building opened in 1922 and was designed by Baxter, O'Dell & Halpin. Curbed Detroit reported on some minor repair work taking place there in 2013.
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...ard-renovation

Quote:
LinkedIn to open Detroit office — but where?

By KIRK PINHO
Crain's Detroit Business
August 18, 2017

Where LinkedIn plans to open an office in downtown Detroit to accommodate a reported 30 sales employees remains a mystery.

The Silicon Valley-based social media company said in a blog post this week that its first new U.S. office in a decade will open in Detroit.

LinkedIn Senior Vice President of Global Solutions Mike Gamson wrote that a time frame and location for the permanent office will be announced at a later time, although the first employees in temporary office space should be working in the city "within the next few months."

"After evaluating more than 10 U.S. cities, we chose Detroit because we believe the Motor City presents a unique opportunity for LinkedIn to hire top talent and be a part of an exciting economic turnaround story," Gamson wrote.

"This new office gives us a chance to marry LinkedIn's uniquely powerful culture with Detroit's dynamic talent to create economic opportunity for our employees, the city and our company."

The general real estate rule is that employees typically use about 250 square feet each, although that figure has been shrinking in recent years as companies move toward more condensed and collaborative workspaces.

Based on that, LinkedIn is probably looking for no more than 7,500 square feet.

Microsoft Corp., which is also opening an office in downtown Detroit in the One Campus Martius building, bought LinkedIn for $26.2 billion last year. Dan Gilbert and Meridian health system bought One Campus Martius, the former Compuware headquarters building, in 2014.

Whitney Eichinger, director of communications for Dan Gilbert's Bedrock LLC, said the company "cannot comment on rumor and speculation" when asked whether it has been in lease negotiations with LinkedIn.
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...0%94-but-where

Detroit a midsized metro hmm if they mean not in top ten then true, not exactly what i would consider one but whatever.

Quote:
Chase: Detroit leads midsize cities in spending growth

By CHAD LIVENGOOD
Crain's Detroit Business
August 18, 2017

Consumer spending in April in metro Detroit among credit and debit card users was 4.8 percent higher than a year ago, the highest year-over-year growth in the midsize metropolitan areas studied by the JPMorgan Chase Institute.

Metro Detroit's spending growth ranked third overall behind Denver (10.4 percent) and New York (5.2 percent) among the 15 metropolitan areas the banking giant's institute has been tracking for its monthly Local Consumer Commerce Index report.

"Metro Detroit was the best-performing in the midsize metro areas," said Diana Farrell, president and CEO of the JPMorgan Chase Institute, a company think tank.

In the city of Detroit, spending in April was up 5.3 percent from a year ago, compared with 4.7 percent growth in the suburbs, according to the report.

"It's a particularly good story for Detroit," she said.

JPMorgan Chase Institute uses Chase bank debit and credit card transactions from 59 million customers to track spending and weights that data based on underlining demographics in each market, Farrell said.
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...pending-growth

Last edited by Docta_Love; Aug 19, 2017 at 6:46 PM.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 12:11 PM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

And BOOM! goes the dynamite. Yes, the Monroe Block office tower will be taller than originally rendered, and will be 35 floors.

Quote:

New details, renderings for Gilbert's Monroe Block plan show huge ambitions

By John Gallager | Detroit Free Press

August 20, 2017

usinessman Dan Gilbert’s ambitious goal of “going vertical” with new downtown towers looks about to become reality big time.

Gilbert’s team plans to break ground in December on its Hudson’s site plan, an architecturally stunning mixed-use assemblage that will become Detroit’s tallest building.

And Gilbert plans to follow that in early 2018 breaking ground on his Monroe Block project.

New renderings and details released to the Free Press show the mostly vacant two-block stretch will see a shimmering 35-story office tower facing Campus Martius, backed by impressive amounts of retail, residential apartments, and new public plazas and "green" space.
Quote:
If the Hudson's site tower will rank as Detroit's tallest building, the new details available for the Monroe Block remain equally impressive: It will feature 810,000 square feet of new office space, 170,000 square feet of new retail space, 482 new residential apartments, at least 900 parking spaces — many of which will be built underground, and some 48,000 square feet of public plazas and "green" space.

Total cost of the Monroe Block project: More than $800 million.
The apartment building:

At a conservative average 12 feet per floor, I'm guessing this would be at least 420 feet not. This doesn't take into account the expanded lower floors or the slight crown, which will make it taller than the 437-foot Cadillac Tower down the block.

Cadillac Tower by Brendan McKeon, on Flickr

Last edited by LMich; Aug 21, 2017 at 12:51 PM.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 3:37 PM
Registered Ugly

I love it. The vertical lines are reminiscent of a Yamasaki.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 3:54 PM

This is amazing, this project couldn't be any more perfect.

Love to see a proper emphasis on pedestrians and walkability.

Last edited by The North One; Aug 21, 2017 at 4:49 PM.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
At a conservative average 12 feet per floor, I'm guessing this would be at least 420 feet not. This doesn't take into account the expanded lower floors or the slight crown, which will make it taller than the 437-foot Cadillac Tower down the block.

Cadillac Tower by Brendan McKeon, on Flickr
Oh yea, it's gonna be a lot taller.

Original size is huge. http://i.imgur.com/5BNGn2z.jpg

https://detroit.curbed.com/2017/8/21...gs-dan-gilbert

Last edited by animatedmartian; Aug 21, 2017 at 8:07 PM.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 6:06 PM
Paramoderator

My mothers family is all from Detroit, and many of them still live there. My cousin owns Avalon Bakery if anyone has been to it. As an urbanist and long time supporter of my ancestral homeland, it's really incredibly to see not just all the great things happening, but the pride that people are taking in the revitalization of Detroit. I feel like few cities have the civic pride Detroit does. Monroe Block is awesome, and I can't wait to see what's next for Detroit!

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 6:10 PM

I'm still confused by the residential component. Are there two towers? And which is the one we see pictured most often?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 6:56 PM
Registered Ugly

This looks considerably bigger than Cadillac Tower. It could just be perspective, but this looks about as tall as the Guardian.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 7:00 PM

That aerial view of downtown with the Monroe Block is incredible! Adds some nice density to the skyline. I hope they release a similar shot with the Hudson's site included.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 8:08 PM

Quote:
I'm still confused by the residential component. Are there two towers? And which is the one we see pictured most often?
Two midrises and the one highrise on the corner of Randolph and Monroe. The glassy one facing Campus Martius is the office building. If that's what you mean.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 8:12 PM

No, the office tower is obvious, but I'm confused about the residential building they show in the Freep renderings, and then that tower way at the end of the block I've seen rendered in other shots. Where is this building?

And then where is this building?

Are these both on the Block 2? Or is the first residential building on the same block as the office tower, and the second one on the second block? I can't figure out why this has been essentially talked about as two buildings, but we get renderings of three, and none of them really in the same shot. Early we were given a 20 story (now 35 story) and a 16-story building on the other block, I assumed. But, we've also seen this 20-something story building twice, now, at the far end of the second block.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post

This looks considerably bigger than Cadillac Tower. It could just be perspective, but this looks about as tall as the Guardian.
I found a website that has formulas to estimate the height of a building when you only know the number of floors and the usage. Using their formula gives you a rough estimation of a 35 story office building being around 156 meters, or 510 feet.

(http://www.ctbuh.org/HighRiseInfo/Ta...B/Default.aspx)

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 8:32 PM
Registered Ugly

It could feasibly be the 5th tallest after Hudson’s is built.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 8:58 PM

The largest brown residential building is right behind Cadillac Tower which is on the first block, the smaller residential tower is on the 2nd block wedged between Randolph street and Monroe avenue.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 9:02 PM

^What he said.

Quote:
Or is the first residential building on the same block as the office tower, and the second one on the second block?
Yes.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 9:07 PM

Okay, I see, now. It's just weird they've talked about this as two developments, when there is obvioulsy three seperate towers. The original implication was that the office tower took up the whole Phase 1/Block 1, and that the residential took up Phase 2. As I see it now, the 16 story residential building is on the same block as the 35 story office tower...and then there is a 25 story residential building way back at the edge of Phase 2, which has never been explicitly mentioned.

Anyway, with the Water Board Building pictured in the rendering being 260 feet, it appears the 25 story residential building will be around 300 feet.

Oh, in the rendering of the 16-story building, is Farmer removed from the street grid? I don't see it going through, which I guess is what kind of disoriented me.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Okay, I see, now. It's just weird they've talked about this as two developments, when there is obvioulsy three seperate towers. The original implication was that the office tower took up the whole Phase 1/Block 1, and that the residential took up Phase 2. As I see it now, the 16 story residential building is on the same block as the 35 story office tower...and then there is a 25 story residential building way back at the edge of Phase 2, which has never been explicitly mentioned.

Anyway, with the Water Board Building pictured in the rendering being 260 feet, it appears the 25 story residential building will be around 300 feet.

Oh, in the rendering of the 16-story building, is Farmer removed from the street grid? I don't see it going through, which I guess is what kind of disoriented me.
I think in the picture looking towards the old Wayne County building in your original post is looking down Farmer. I could be wrong, but it looks like Farmer is still there but converted to a pedestrian walkway.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 2:57 AM

I assume this means any addition to 1 campus martius would be a lower priority. I also wonder if the height increase is due to the brownfield tax incentives. In any case this and the Hudson's site are going to make downtown feel whole again.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
I assume this means any addition to 1 campus martius would be a lower priority. I also wonder if the height increase is due to the brownfield tax incentives. In any case this and the Hudson's site are going to make downtown feel whole again.
Not necessarily. The OCM addition will likely be additional space for companies that already exist inside the building like Quicken Loans or Microsoft. It's been swaid that the Hudson's and the Monroe Block, as well as any other office space Gilbert builds new, will be marketed towards non-local companies who would be more willing to pay the rents that these new office buildings will demand.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations