HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 1:29 AM
cities|transit|croissants

RTD's estimates 8,400 riders per day will ride the Boulder train. That's approximately the same ridership as the SKIP. For $1.7 billion.

Seriously, I like trains way more than buses too, but the Boulder train plan simply doesn't make sense. And it isn't just the $1.7 billion to build it that's the problem, it's also the millions it will take every year to maintain it. Building the Boulder train means we'll have to take money away from other better transit investments, including those in Boulder.

Read and re-read bunt's post until it sinks it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
The projected ridership on the northwest rail line is 8,400 per day. That is by far the lowest of any line in the Fastracks system, and at the latest cost estimate of $1.7 billion, the most expensive line (per rider) in the country, and from what I've looked at, the entire world. If you feel you know something that the professionals who prepared the ridership projections don't, by all means, share it with us. But I'll tell you, I don't find Facebook comments to be terribly persuasive. Experience tells us that the "sexiness factor" of rail over bus is worth 15-30% ridership boost. The FTA allows 30% I think. But that is nowhere near enough to make up for the fact that the northwest rail proposal to Boulder simply doesn't go where people want it to. Which is why every projection has always shown significantly more ridership on the US 36 bus than on the rail. It is irrelevant whether people like rail more, whether they feel they deserve rail, etc. Once it's built, they will make their travel decisions based on access, time, cost, and convenience. And by that measure, you can build the sexiest train in the world, and the US 36 bus still gets more ridership. And that was before real BRT came into the discussion.

Now that real BRT is part of the discussion, people need to take a step back and educate themselves before they criticize something they've never seen. Comparisons to the current bus service? Irrelevant. We're talking a whole different animal, and one which most Americans have never seen. (Pardon me for passing judgment, but the best examples in the world are in Latin America, and I just can't see many snooty Boulderites traveling in Latin America by public transport.)

So do us all a favor and go to a public information session before passing judgment. Real BRT is entirely separated from general traffic. It's fare paid (like the light rail). And it's fast, as fast a train, short dwell times at stations, and THREE minute headways, compared to, at best, 15 for the train. It can be a very sexy mode. You've just never seen it. As they say, don't know it til you try it.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 1:55 AM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottk View Post
I honestly can't believe there are people on this site of all sites arguing against a desperately needed rail transit expansion
Well some of us like transit systems that are efficient and useful. Not gold-plated pork projects for the over-entitled denizens the People's Republic of Boulder.

8,400 riders per day for the NW corridor at a cost of $1.8 billion. That's $214K per each rider. Just how much is each resident of Boulder worth? And not that "the priceless sanctity of human life" bullshit that they teach up at CU.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 2:00 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Well some of us like transit systems that are efficient and useful. Not gold-plated pork projects for the over-entitled denizens the People's Republic of Boulder.

8,400 riders per day for the NW corridor at a cost of $1.8 billion. That's $214K per each rider. Just how much is each resident of Boulder worth? And not that "the priceless sanctity of human life" bullshit that they teach up at CU.
Couldn't agree more, Wong. Dump the freaking train, build a good BRT system, save a billion dollars or so, and all will be good!

As Brent and others have previously shown, BRT doesn't mean bad, it doesn't mean useless, it doesn't mean anything but a different mode of transit. As long as any BRT proposal is TRUE BRT and not what passes for BRT in the eyes of some (better have its own traffic lanes in each direction, the stations had better look essentially like the LRT station designs, etc... etc...), then I think it's a win-win situation.

Not to mention, I really don't care if some Boulderites swear they'll never ride a bus instead of a train. Since they're "so crowded" according to Scottk, I guess that means LOTS of people already ride what's already running, eh?

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 3:37 AM
Denver

Quote:
We all know you're thinking it. But I dare you to come out and say it.
you have just proven yourself to be a giant douche by instead of focusing on the valid arguments I pointed out, you resulted to low blows and generalizing against the city I live in. Just because I'm from boulder doesn't mean shit about me. understand?

Nice.

also, those pictures from latin america are irrelevant because there is nowhere near enough space on us-36 currently to have a dedicated bus lane on both sides of the highway the entire route. Sorry. try driving the road and maybe using your head to look around because you would understand bus transit on us-36 is impractical.

Now, I am going to go to pearl street. and walk down the most vibrant, urban, historical, and beautiful city in all of colorado. a city where we have actual street life at all times of day & night, and pedestrian activity that shits all over denver. a city that feels safe clean and nice. denver wishes it could be as urban as boulder

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 4:00 PM

The personal attacks need to stop. Everyone.

Quote:
you have just proven yourself to be a giant douche by instead of focusing on the valid arguments I pointed out, you resulted to low blows and generalizing against the city I live in. Just because I'm from boulder doesn't mean shit about me. understand?
Actually, if you will go back and reread the last several posts remaining visible in this thread, you will find a very solid, valid case for why rail to Boulder does not make sense. The simple fact is that in this particular corridor, BRT is much more practical and will be used by many more people, because BRT goes to the major destinations and comes so much more frequently than the train.

Again: Every projection shows that many thousands more people will use the BRT every day than the train.

Indeed, building this train would be such a colossal waste of money that it would supply the anti-transit lobbyists of the world with the strongest ammunition they've ever had. It is simply not defensible to spend that much money on so few riders. And there will be very few riders, because the train that's proposed isn't anything like the light rail you see in Denver.

By the way, here's a protip: By continuing to ignore this overwhelming point against rail to Boulder, you are providing ammunition to those who would say your position stems from nothing but a sense of over-entitlement. You are confirming stereotypes people have about Boulder, no matter how much you say that we don't know anything about you.

Last edited by Cirrus; Feb 27, 2012 at 4:11 PM.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 4:50 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

There is plenty of ROW on U.S. 36, by the way. The only areas it might even be a challenge, we already have the HOV lane. If we can find a way to add a lane on I-25 at 20th Street today, and through the narrows earlier with T-REX, there is certainly nowhere in the sparsely-built 36 corridor we can't make it work. The challenges on how to make a 3-min headway BRT work well are on the ends, not in the US 36 ROW.

EDIT: To be fair, the ridership projections have moved some, up and down, every time it's been re-run with new DRCOG data. But even at its highest, it was weak. 8,400 is from the EE.

I don't understand the hankering for an underwhelming commuter rail system (not light rail) to East Boulder that'll be a decade late and run every 30 minutes. Option 3, as RTD is describing it, sounds much more appealing:

Option 3: Replace the Northwest Rail Line with an expanded and enhanced Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) system.  The Northwest BRT would operate in high-occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes along US 36 and SH 119 and with transit priority on non-freeway routes. Transit priority measures include enhancements such as off-board fare collection, signal priority, and bus bypass lanes at intersections. Similar to the rail stations, Bus Rapid Transit stations would be constructed at key points along each route, complete with parking and station branding identifying the BRT system.  RTD would commit the remaining Northwest Rail project funds-capped at $894.6 million-to the BRT system.

Last edited by bunt_q; Feb 27, 2012 at 5:42 PM.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 5:48 PM
100% Right 50% Of Time

Quote:
You obviously do not live in boulder and use the bus system regularly like I do. the boulder bus into Denver sucks. end of story. always stuffed as shit. always running late. and us36 is a traffic hell hole.

you honestly can not believe that diesel busses are the solution, right? Especially in Boulder, where public transportation is so highly used. a train would be FANTASTIC. RTD should not bite the hand that feeds them (boulder) by delivering a shitty impracticle bus system that also can get snarled in the us36 mess.

please. it is 2012. and you are advocating busses? do you think it is 1964 or something?
You are right, I do not live in Boulder - I live in Broomfield, where I either ride bike or take bus to the 36 P&R & again up to Table Mesa P&R where I then ride bike or transfer to a 3rd bus. Or I ask politely to my wife for a ride to Lafayette to take the Jump there. I would LOVE to have the kind of bus service you have.

Now, I will absoultely acknowledge, as I have to a coworker - for folks living in Boulder or Denver a commuter rail would be incredible. But as for me & for most people living in the local Denver-Boulder fly over zone, the commuter rail would not be a drastic improvement over what exists currently. I would obviously assume feeder bus routes would increase, but I am still looking at transfering to a rail station & then transfering to the rail station on 30th to get to work. Not to mention the nearest station is not even funded & obvioulsy not to mention most of us will not be around in 2024 to even ride it.

Again - for the cost I can not ask the Denver region to subsidize an exorbitantly expensive train trip that is only an improvement over a far more affordable option by 4 minutes.

As for why I support it - though I believe I have already posted why - it is because a quality BRT system done CORRECTLY is significantly more flexible than a rail guided system. It wouldn't be solely a line going from Denver to Boulder, but possibly Thornton along 120th to Broomfield & up through eastern Boulder on Foothills Pkwy. Not to mention, done CORRECTLY - buses would have their own lane on US 36, so traffic will not impact service. Not to again mention the train will only run every 30 minutes during rush hour & 1 hour during the day whereas buses will seemingly be running none stop.

Yes, diesel is dirty - but it could possibly be electric - it could even be powered by overhead lines such as the kind in San Francisco. Nonetheless, any environmentalist arguement has to include the entire picture - will spending over $1 billion to fund a train that would still be powered by diesel, still depend on an elaborate network of buses to provide feeder service but only service a fraction of the commuters.

Lastly - I love trains - but I more importantly want to get to work as quickly as possible with more commuting options than just a node to node trip.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 6:54 PM
Denver

so I think everyone makes somewhat valid points... but...

If I hired a contractor and paid him to install a toilet in my bathroom, and he instead installed a urinal, should I still pay him?

I think not. he didnt deliver what was promised. neither has rtd. the city of boulder and longmont have been scammed and paying for a service they will never receive. Its odd how everyone is calling me the entitled one, when you guys have already received portions of your promised rail system....

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 7:07 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:

If I hired a contractor and paid him to install a toilet in my bathroom, and he instead installed a urinal, should I still pay him?

I think not. he didnt deliver what was promised. neither has rtd. the city of boulder and longmont have been scammed and paying for a service they will never receive. Its odd how everyone is calling me the entitled one, when you guys have already received portions of your promised rail system....
That's fine, I'd be annoyed too. Actually, I am quite annoyed at RTD. But that doesn't change reality. Like I always tell the significant other, we don't live in the world of what *should be*, be live in the world of what *is*.

And the reality in the northwest metro area is that the only viable corridor for rail doesn't really go where we'd like it to, resulting is embarrassingly low ridership projections for what should be (given Boulder's strong history of transit support) the best corridor in the metro area, and due to factors outside our control (the railroads) that corridor is now going to cost us $1.7 billion - more than double what we initially thought. Is that fair? Maybe not, but life isn't fair. The reality is, there are NO GREAT OPTIONS up there.

Once the corridor accepts that - and from what I have heard, it sounds like the elected leadership in the corridor has come around to accepting that all of the options are less than ideal - we can have a real discussion about which is the best of an admittedly bad bunch. And I think that'll end up being BRT - it is the closest to where people want it to go, and offers the best bang for our buck.

We are not going to throw an extra billion dollars on a less ideal alternative just because a community "deserves" it. If for no other reason than we simply don't have that kind of money. The Feds aren't going to put a dime toward a rail corridor with those kinds of numbers. And voters...well, Colorado voters are pretty smart. And I don't think many have patience for spending more for less. And there won't be any shortage of groups out to tank Fastracks II come election time. The numbers on the northwest corridor scream "bridge to nowhere," and transit advocates will have a hard time arguing the point with a straight face. Now, show a willingness to compromise - find an equal (if not better) solution for $1 billion less - and a rubber tire solution too... that's a huge blow to the anti-transit crowd come campaign time, and would go a long way toward making RTD looks like a reasonable steward of the public's money.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 7:45 PM
of Gnomeregan

Quote:

You didn't hire a contractor for a toilet.. you hired a contractor to go find land, get an architect, engineer, and carpenters, get estimates and then sometime in the future build something for you. The contractor now says, sorry we can't do what you wanted us to do with the money you have amassed. (because for the first time in recorded human history the future wasn't exactly the way we predicted it)

I may or may not ever have a way to get to Univerisity Hospital from downtown that isn't traditional bus service, Union station bears no resemblance either to the vision I voted for, or for that matter, to the plans that were ultimately selected for it. Sucks for us.. Denver "bought high" and now has to "sell low". But there it is. .

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 7:54 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

I think it would be a good idea if RTD does promise Longmont that it will work with CDOT on the North I-25 commuter rail and will extend the North Corridor ROW acquisition to reach into Longmont. Give Longmont, at the least, the promise that their rail connection will be there, not in the form of the NW Corridor, but in the form of the North Corridor and commuter rail from Fort Collins.

It's also worth pointing out, though having no real merit in the context of the discussion, that BRT, for Boulder and Longmont, and commuter rail from Fort Collins to Thornton, through Longmont, could be built for cheaper than than the price of the NW Corridor commuter rail.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 7:56 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainpathology View Post
The contractor now says, sorry we can't do what you wanted us to do with the money you have amassed. (because for the first time in recorded human history the future wasn't exactly the way we predicted it)
And actually, if this is the metaphor we want to go with, construction law is pretty clear on this. It's why we have change orders. It's pretty unusual that you can stick the contractor with the cost for unforeseen changes. As the owner, you either reduce the scope, or pay up.

And back to the original example... if you hired a contractor to install "a toilet," without more details/specifications, and he installs a urinal... yes, you probably do have to pay him.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 8:52 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
I think it would be a good idea if RTD does promise Longmont that it will work with CDOT on the North I-25 commuter rail and will extend the North Corridor ROW acquisition to reach into Longmont. Give Longmont, at the least, the promise that their rail connection will be there, not in the form of the NW Corridor, but in the form of the North Corridor and commuter rail from Fort Collins.

It's also worth pointing out, though having no real merit in the context of the discussion, that BRT, for Boulder and Longmont, and commuter rail from Fort Collins to Thornton, through Longmont, could be built for cheaper than than the price of the NW Corridor commuter rail.
Since Wong brought it up, let's look at the plan for North I-25. I pulled out a few graphics from the final EIS.

Let's start with a map of the trips we're trying to accommodate. Huge growth between today and 2035, mostly in the northern cities (almost none in Boulder).

Here is the preferred alternative, first Phase 1, and then final. The devil's in the details, of course, but if we could smartly accelerate portions of the final plan here, alongside changes to Fastracks, we could do some cool stuff up there. Especially since the plan includes a transfer to the Fastracks north corridor. (??? shared track, maybe?) EDIT: I read the Transit Operations portion of the EIS. It's envisioned as an extension of Fastracks service, so no transfer. Same headways between Denver and Thornton, but some trains out of Union Station would continue on from the Fastracks end of line to Ft. Collins. Neat idea. Personally, I'd rather have a technology with bathrooms if I am on a 93 minute train trip. But still...

Note these maps show the original Fastracks northwest alignment in gray. But it's not hard to imagine how this all might integrate with a quality BRT system between Denver, Boulder, Longmont, and the communities in between. In places, we could even consider integrating that with the planned express bus infrastructure on I-25 north (feeder buses are referenced in the preferred alternative).

Here's the projected transit ridership.

Sort of depressing when you compare it to the highway graphic, but still, not bad for an inter-city system.

Also sort of sad how much faster the express bus will be than the commuter rail. But them's the breaks.

Last edited by bunt_q; Feb 27, 2012 at 9:19 PM.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Since Wong brought it up, let's look at the plan for North I-25. I pulled out a few graphics from the final EIS.
Have not looked at in detail, but I don't think this is a very good plan. I think they are counting on BNSF ROW for the commuter rail north of Longmont, which, um, might not be so smart.

The CO-HSR study projected much higher ridership but was a much faster train (faster then driving) running along a mostly I-25 highway alignment.

Last edited by Cirrus; Feb 27, 2012 at 9:59 PM.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 9:47 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octavian View Post
Have not looked at in detail, but I don't think this is a very good plan. I think they are counting on BNSF ROW for the commuter rail north of Longmont, which, um, might not be so smart.

The CO-HSR study projected much higher ridership but was a much faster train (faster then driving) running along a mostly I-25 highway alignment.
As for the ROW, as far as I can see, this plan assumes no actual use of the existing track. It looked like they planned to single track in the railroad ROW, with passing track in four locations. That is a very different animal from what RTD assumed - actual sharing of track with the BNSF. The railroads, it seems, have been more accommodating when it comes to sharing ROW than sharing actual track. Also, I think we should consider that CDOT might have a bit more leverage than RTD.

The CO-HSR rail study was very conceptual, this is not. I wouldn't take anything there too seriously, at least not in comparison to the findings of an actual EIS.

Here's the cost estimate, by the way , for the north I-25 plan (in '000s):

Express Bus $114
Commuter Rail with Feeder Bus $649
Commuter Bus $12
General Purpose Lanes $1,052
Tolled Express Lanes $351
Total: $2,178

I think it's a pretty good balance, actually.

EDIT: Here's the RMRA Feasibility Study map. All I can say is, there's nothing quite like a high speed rail network that proposes to go *around* all of the cities it is meant to serve.

Mark my words, this will never happen. At least, not until we have some sort of inter-city rail established first and we can upgrade incrementally. California is struggling enough with something like this, and they've got 30 million people in their proposed service area. I think we should be a little more realistic. The North I-25 proposal and its $2 billion price tag will be difficult enough for us. And frankly, I'd rather have a slightly slower system that actually gets me into Longmont, Loveland, and Fort Collins (and someday, Colorado Springs), rather than a zippy system that I have to drive or bus-transfer to access.

EDIT: I found their approach in Colorado Springs to be especially comical. I'm not sure they could've conceived of a worse system if they had tried. Woodmen/Powers and the Airport? Those are both roughly 10-15 miles from... well, *everything*. I'd rather take a horse and carriage than high speed rail if it promised not to dump me off halfway to Kansas. Sorry, but the correct approach to transit planning is not to run away anywhere it looks like access might be a challenge. I am sure they saw that accessing central CS would be tough, would drive up costs, and might affect their (preordained) conclusion that system benefits outweigh costs, so they simply chose to avoid the problem.

Last edited by bunt_q; Feb 27, 2012 at 10:06 PM.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 9:55 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:

It's actually the same route that the RMA looked at in upgrading the existing tracks for HSR. At least for the realistic proposal and not for the billions upon billions idea of a mag-lev down I-25. It's not the ROW acquisition that's a bad idea, RTD has had pretty good success for the East and Gold Lines with BNSF and UP, it's having to share tracks that is the real pain in the ass like for the NW Line. CDOT would also be the entity handling the ROW acquisition and preservation which also makes a difference.

EDIT: Posted at the same time as Bunt.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 10:03 PM

Actually bunt, from the EIS, one of the reasons the BNSF alignment was chosen was that. From the Final EIS, Alternatives
2-84:

"Western and central rail lines would attract a similar amount of ridership. However, the western rail lines would cost approximately 35 percent less than a comparable length of central rail line because the western line would utilize the existing BNSF rail line while the central line would require construction of new track."

("Western" here refers to the BNSF rail line, while the "central rail lines" can be basically understood to be an I-25 alignment). I've seen this movie before. CDOT doesn't have anymore leverage because the railroads, since they are interstate commerce, are regulated at the federal level.

Even sharing ROW isn't so smart. RTD has to use much heavier and expensive trains because it shares a freight corridor and the railroads made RTD comply with FRA Tier II buff strength requirements that cut down on speed and increase operating costs. This is OK on the commuter rail lines, but it has a lot more impact on longer distance service like this.

This document is already obsolete. They talk about how awesome it will be to transfer in Longmont to the NW rail line going to Boulder from Ft. Collins.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 10:09 PM

Question: Sharing tracks with freight is the big problem with the NW rail line, right? Presumably the freight company objected because there isn't enough capacity to guarantee them their running slots in addition to everything RTD wanted. But an intercity train going all the way to Fort Collins wouldn't be running nearly as often as a commuter train only going to Longmont, so is it possible that if we cancel RTD's NW rail line that we would then have enough capacity on the existing track to run the Fort Collins train through Boulder without needing to add a new track?

In short: Do the problems with the RTD NW corridor plan apply to a Fort Collins train that might use existing tracks in that same ROW?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Question: Sharing tracks with freight is the big problem with the NW rail line, right? Presumably the freight company objected because there isn't enough capacity to guarantee them their running slots in addition to everything RTD wanted. But an intercity train going all the way to Fort Collins wouldn't be running nearly as often as a commuter train only going to Longmont, so is it possible that if we cancel RTD's NW rail line that we would then have enough capacity on the existing track to run the Fort Collins train through Boulder without needing to add a new track?

In short: Do the problems with the RTD NW corridor plan apply to a Fort Collins train that might use existing tracks in that same ROW?
In short, the same problems will come up with the RR. The I-25 EIS says for this to be worthwhile, they need 30 min peak headways and 60 min off peak-headways, the same frequency as the NW rail corridor. They looked at having a train that was less frequent but decided in this study that it wouldn't be worth the money because of poor ridership.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 10:14 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Actually bunt, from the EIS, one of the reasons the BNSF alignment was chosen was that. From the Final EIS, Alternatives
2-84:

"Western and central rail lines would attract a similar amount of ridership. However, the western rail lines would cost approximately 35 percent less than a comparable length of central rail line because the western line would utilize the existing BNSF rail line while the central line would require construction of new track."

("Western" here refers to the BNSF rail line, while the "central rail lines" can be basically understood to be an I-25 alignment). I've seen this movie before.

Even sharing ROW isn't so smart. RTD has to use much heavier and expensive trains because it shares a freight corridor and the railroads made RTD comply with FRA Tier II buff strength requirements that cut down on speed and increase operating costs. This is OK on the commuter rail lines, but it has a lot more impact on longer distance service like this.

This document is already obsolete. They talk about how awesome it will be to transfer in Longmont to the NW rail line going to Boulder from Ft. Collins.
So the transfer becomes BRT, so what? That's not a big deal, and planning always deals with moving targets.

I think you're reading the wrong part of the EIS. That section explains how alignments were compared, and I am sure that was a factor when comparing like alignments. But once you select an alignment, you still have to drill down into detailed operations. On 2-70, the description of the preferred alternative, it seems like they considered both double and single track alternatives within that alignment, and decided that in conjunction with express buses, single track would be adequate. It seems to imply a new track in the existing ROW.

As for the rolling stock they choose to use... people make way too much of that. We can find something that works. ROW, however, is much more difficult to conjure up. If you have a better idea for ROW, I'm sure they'd like to hear it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
See above. Also see 2-22 and 2-23 in the EIS. That describes the single-tracking (low cost option) that was not included in Package A, but was preserved for the Preferred Alternative in conjunction with I-25 corridor express bus service. In other words, this *is* new track, in the railroad ROW.

Also, let's not discount the fact that CDOT is not RTD. RTD has been able to get ROW, just not shared track; CDOT certainly will be able to.

(EDIT: Cirrus, to answer your question, the problem with Package A was that the rail headways with single tracking weren't enough to meet transit demand, without also adding the parallel bus service. I imagine Boulder would have the same single-tracking problems, only much much worse. You just couldn't do the headways you'd need and people would expect. Hence the forced transfer in Longmont - to rail, BRT, whatever. Besides... how much of our travel demand is really between Boulder and Longmont/Ft. Collins? Not so much that a BRT transfer in Longmont would be killer, I don't think. Especially if they're talking real BRT on the Diagonal Highway.)

Seems to me, $900 million in BRT in the US 36/SH 119 Denver-Boulder-Longmont corridor, plus $2.1 billion for I-25 north highway improvements, including commuter rail from Denver-Longmont-Loveland-Ft. Collins, plus BRT from Denver-Ft. Collins, Denver-Greeley, Greeley-Ft. Collins, and both Ft.-Collins/Greeley-DIA... all of that for ~$3 billion is pretty good deal for Colorado taxpayers. You'd be able to get from Denver Union Station to *everywhere* north of town on pretty decent transit in dedicated (or mostly-dedicated, if you include the HOT traffic) ROW. So what if it isn't the latest and greatest in Chinese high speed rail? It'll be much faster than the auto, it'll be comfortable, it'll be affordable (versus the $40 projected fares in the HSR study), it'll actually go into the cores of these cities, and we might actually be able to fund it sometime in the next 30 years. That's good enough for me. Ideal? No.. but good enough, and realistic (something we haven't yet fully figured out how to embrace yet, when we're still seriously discussing $14 billion rail lines.) I'm not willing to wait another 50 years for transit of any sort. If it's a rapid bus and the occasional commuter rail, so be it.

Last edited by bunt_q; Feb 27, 2012 at 10:38 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West