HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Feb 6, 2009, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVINphx View Post
They need to introduce some sort of legislation that does not allow them to demolish existing structures until they have full financing and are ready to break ground. Until then, our cities will continue to be dotted by dirt fields.
They need to put this on a ballot and I would vote in favor of it. It's ridiculous how many promises developers have made...destroyed countless buildings...then left the cities with dirt lots.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2009, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVINphx View Post
They need to introduce some sort of legislation that does not allow them to demolish existing structures until they have full financing and are ready to break ground. Until then, our cities will continue to be dotted by dirt fields.
AMEN to that!!! I seriously hate how this happens all the time, especially here in the Valley. I also can't stand when developers hold a "GROUNDBREAKING" party or whatever you call it and all they do is stick a shovel in the ground. It always pisses me off because it's all a bunch of hoopla for the media. Most of the time, the actual groundbreaking doesn't even happen until later on or in some cases it never happens because of financing or whatnot.

I definitely agree with Urban Rising about the vacant prime land in Tempe (especially downtown Tempe). Once the economy picks up again, in 1-2 years hopefully, these lots will fill up quick. My guess is that a lot of the stalled projects will start up again in 2-3 years and will all be finished by 2015. That's my opinion anyway.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2009, 10:52 PM

Update on the Tempe Gateway building:

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 7:09 AM

/\ /\ /\ looks great, too bad it isn't taller

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 7:52 AM

Yes, it ain't quite a "skyscraper", but it does round out that block nicely. Actually, it looks like a perfect 50/50 cross of Hayden Ferry and US Airways. Just 10 stories short!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 3:42 PM

I like that it is right next to the light rail station. I'd love to work in that building. Is there ground floor retail?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 4:27 PM

Yes, there will be ground level retail. The only thing I know for sure right now is a UPS store, though, which is useful but not that exciting.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2009, 3:02 PM

More stuff with Tempe Centerpoint:

http://www.azcentral.com/business/ar...point0212.html

Parties battle over unfinished condos
U.S. trustee argues for Centerpoint developer's liquidation
by Andrew Johnson - Feb. 12, 2009 12:00 AM
The Arizona Republic

A court battle over Tempe's Centerpoint condo development could affect buyers, investors and construction contractors with millions of dollars tied up in the high-rise project. Expected to open last fall, the two-tower development near Mill Avenue was one of several in metropolitan Phoenix left languishing with the bankruptcy of Phoenix-based construction lender Mortgages Ltd.

Tempe Land Co. LLC, Centerpoint's developer, is trying to obtain new financing to finish the project through its own bankruptcy. But efforts by Mortgages Ltd., some of the lender's investors and the U.S. Trustee's Office to wrest control of the project from Tempe Land Co. and convert the developer's Chapter 11 reorganization to a Chapter 7 liquidation could change the project's direction.

Under Chapter 11, a debtor's managers typically remain in control of the business while devising a plan to pay back creditors. In Chapter 7, the debtor's managers lose control of the company and assets are sold to help pay back creditors.

Mortgages Ltd. claimed last year that Tempe Land Co. principal Ken Losch used a portion of $2.8 million in financing obtained through the lender's bankruptcy to pay expenses not approved by court. The lender, which provided about $133 million in loans to the developer, filed a motion ordering Losch and his partners to show why they should not be held in contempt of court.

The U.S. Trustee's Office, which ensures fair treatment of creditors in bankruptcy cases, said in a motion filed last month that a Chapter 7 proceeding was in the best interest of the lender, investors and contractors. It cited alleged mismanagement and the fact that Tempe Land Co. has not been able to secure new financing. Tempe Land Co. said converting the case now is premature, because it has yet to file its Chapter 11 reorganization plan.

That plan would include a proposal to obtain $45 million from a new lender the company said is willing to finance the rest of construction, project spokeswoman Andrea Kalmanovitz said. If Tempe Land Co. secures the necessary financing, it would take about three months to finish Tower 1, she said.

Kalmanovitz denies the developer misused the funds obtained through the Mortgages Ltd. bankruptcy. Several construction contractors have filed motions opposing the bankruptcy conversion, hoping that Tempe Land Co. will finish the project.

Centerpoint condo buyer Mike Williard, who paid about $80,000 in non-refundable costs for a 630-square-foot unit in Tower I, said he doubtsa liquidation would yield enough to pay creditors, including those who paid deposits for units. Williard is one of 41 buyers who have placed deposits on units. The project has 375 condos.

A hearing on Mortgages Ltd.'s contempt motion against Tempe Land Co. is scheduled for Wednesday. A hearing on the U.S. Trustee's Chapter 7 motion is Feb. 26. Both hearings are at U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Phoenix.

Centerpoint is one of several real-estate projects stalled by Mortgages Ltd.'s Chapter 11 bankruptcy, which was filed in June.

--don

Old Posted Feb 12, 2009, 5:34 PM

Jsmscaleros, did you go to the open mic night at the TCA last night?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2009, 11:32 PM

I did not, unfortunately. I've a had a running gig every week that starts later beginning next Weds, so I'll at least be able to catch the first hour or so at 7pm. Anybody else check it out? If not, I'll report back next Thursday.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2009, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don B. View Post
More stuff with Tempe Centerpoint:

http://www.azcentral.com/business/ar...point0212.html

Parties battle over unfinished condos
U.S. trustee argues for Centerpoint developer's liquidation
by Andrew Johnson - Feb. 12, 2009 12:00 AM
The Arizona Republic

A court battle over Tempe's Centerpoint condo development could affect buyers, investors and construction contractors with millions of dollars tied up in the high-rise project. Expected to open last fall, the two-tower development near Mill Avenue was one of several in metropolitan Phoenix left languishing with the bankruptcy of Phoenix-based construction lender Mortgages Ltd.

Tempe Land Co. LLC, Centerpoint's developer, is trying to obtain new financing to finish the project through its own bankruptcy. But efforts by Mortgages Ltd., some of the lender's investors and the U.S. Trustee's Office to wrest control of the project from Tempe Land Co. and convert the developer's Chapter 11 reorganization to a Chapter 7 liquidation could change the project's direction.

Under Chapter 11, a debtor's managers typically remain in control of the business while devising a plan to pay back creditors. In Chapter 7, the debtor's managers lose control of the company and assets are sold to help pay back creditors.

Mortgages Ltd. claimed last year that Tempe Land Co. principal Ken Losch used a portion of $2.8 million in financing obtained through the lender's bankruptcy to pay expenses not approved by court. The lender, which provided about $133 million in loans to the developer, filed a motion ordering Losch and his partners to show why they should not be held in contempt of court.

The U.S. Trustee's Office, which ensures fair treatment of creditors in bankruptcy cases, said in a motion filed last month that a Chapter 7 proceeding was in the best interest of the lender, investors and contractors. It cited alleged mismanagement and the fact that Tempe Land Co. has not been able to secure new financing. Tempe Land Co. said converting the case now is premature, because it has yet to file its Chapter 11 reorganization plan.

That plan would include a proposal to obtain $45 million from a new lender the company said is willing to finance the rest of construction, project spokeswoman Andrea Kalmanovitz said. If Tempe Land Co. secures the necessary financing, it would take about three months to finish Tower 1, she said.

Kalmanovitz denies the developer misused the funds obtained through the Mortgages Ltd. bankruptcy. Several construction contractors have filed motions opposing the bankruptcy conversion, hoping that Tempe Land Co. will finish the project.

Centerpoint condo buyer Mike Williard, who paid about $80,000 in non-refundable costs for a 630-square-foot unit in Tower I, said he doubtsa liquidation would yield enough to pay creditors, including those who paid deposits for units. Williard is one of 41 buyers who have placed deposits on units. The project has 375 condos.

A hearing on Mortgages Ltd.'s contempt motion against Tempe Land Co. is scheduled for Wednesday. A hearing on the U.S. Trustee's Chapter 7 motion is Feb. 26. Both hearings are at U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Phoenix.

Centerpoint is one of several real-estate projects stalled by Mortgages Ltd.'s Chapter 11 bankruptcy, which was filed in June.

--don
So if I understand this right, Centerpoint didn't get finished at least in large part because Mortgages Ltd. reneged on the financing, yet Mortgages Ltd. is still in a position to demand the developer that they screwed should completely liquidate?

I just hope the 41 depositors and the contractors have full priority of the assets if some kind of liquidation does come out of this.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2009, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsmscaleros View Post
I did not, unfortunately. I've a had a running gig every week that starts later beginning next Weds, so I'll at least be able to catch the first hour or so at 7pm. Anybody else check it out? If not, I'll report back next Thursday.
I, too, have a conflicting meeting on Weds. Unfortunately, mine runs a few more months. I will look forward to hearing how popular it is though.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2009, 12:30 AM
-_-

I agree that the situation with Centerpoint doesn't make sense. The only reason the developer was not able to finish the towers is because the lender filed for bankruptcy. And when the developer tries to find new financing to finish the project, the bankrupt lender demands that the project be liquidated to fix their own screw-up? Seems a little unfair to the developer, who is nothing but the victim of Mortgages Ltd's mismanagement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthScottsdale View Post
i never knew we ever had fred meyers in phoenix
Yes, for a brief time. Fred Meyers purchased the Smitty's grocery chain, and rebranded all of the Smitty's into Fred Meyers. However, very shortly thereafter (possibly within a year), Fred Meyer was purchased by Fry's/Kroger, so all of the stores that were briefly Fred Meyers became Fry's.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2009, 3:12 PM

Don't underestimate the inability of the developer to sell units in the condos as the part of the reason for not finishing Centerpointe. If there is only 41 reservations how do you expect the developer to be able to service any part of the loan.

Mortgages LTD isn't innocent by any means, but the developer needs to share blame as well for poorly anticipating market demand. $700/sq ft. for a condo in Tempe is excessive. The only places getting these prices (justified or not) is for penthouse units in Scottsdale or out of state. Hayden Ferry Lakeside has better pricing with a better view and a comparable location.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 4:09 AM

http://www.azcentral.com/community/t...ntown0225.html

Quote:
Mill Avenue suffers from empty-storefront syndrome

by Dianna M. Náñez - Feb. 25, 2009 08:06 AM
The Arizona Republic
In downtown Tempe, the Borders book store, Harkins Theater, an Islands restaurant, the Bamboo Club and a host of other retail businesses and restaurants are gone.

And so far, the empty store fronts aren't getting refilled.

The vacant buildings aren't just an economic indicator that the recession has hit downtown Tempe.
For many area merchants, they are a scary sign that their livelihoods are at stake.

Cody Cooper was 22 when he and his mom opened Mill Avenue Jewelers downtown. It was 1985 and ironically, a 1980s economic downturn left his mom laid off from work. The two decided to take on a family venture.

Since then, Cooper has weathered several downtown struggles. But the current economy's hold on the area, Cooper said, is like nothing he has seen before. In July he closed his business' doors.

"I had to downsize with the economy," he said. "I did my going-out-of business sale . . . starting in June."

In an attempt to salvage his business, Cooper took a lease on a small office upstairs from his old store. He now takes clients by appointment only and hopes to soon expand sales through millavenuejewelers.com, an online extension of his jewelry designs and repairs.

Cooper said it is time for city leaders and the Downtown Tempe Corporation, the non-profit that manages the Mill Avenue District through an agreement with downtown landowner's and the city, to acknowledge the seriousness of the area's economic troubles.

That acknowledgement, he said, could unite downtown stakeholders against developers who have failed to keep promises and trigger public partnerships that could save the area.

If the city moves fast, he said, there are opportunities that could change the spiraling direction in which he thinks downtown is headed.

"Light rail has turned out better than I expected," he said. "There are people coming (downtown). We need to give them (something) to come for."

Downtown's troubles

Nancy Hormann, DTC's president and executive director, agreed that downtown is suffering. But she says the difficulties the area is experiencing are no different than what other cities face.

"I think the challenge is just the same as everyone's challenge," she said. "In these economic times all the retails throughout the Valley are having tough times."

Still, Hormann acknowledges that the loss of the hope that hundreds of condominium owners would flood downtown has forced the city to consider more realistic goals to keep the area afloat. New financing for the Centerpoint project, which would provide the condominiums, is in jeopardy. Avenue Communities had planned to open the first tower in the fall but that date was pushed back when its financier Mortgages Ltd. filed for bankruptcy.

But Hormann said new businesses such as the Comerica Bank, Dunkin' Donuts, several yogurt stores and other shops are a sign that investors still see opportunities in downtown Tempe.

"We have light rail," she said. "We also have Tempe Beach Park . . . and a lake, now where else can you find that?"

Hormann said plans to bring entertainment to downtown are on the horizon

"We're just moving forward with doing different things that will create a destination," she said. "Every Thursday night in April, we'll have music and performers on the streets, all over."

But some residents say people who tried light rail for the first time since it opened in December may not come back to Tempe after seeing the area's vacancies.

"There are parts of downtown that are filled," said Christina Perez, 27, who works at a downtown Tempe business next to the old Harkins. "But there are just too many spots . . . that really are just sad to look at. I know Tempe is trying but they need to do more than just host festivals every six months."

Perez encouraged the city to partner with Arizona State University to bring free entertainment and art to the area.

"There are so many students that would love to show their art out here. It wouldn't cost anything. They have art shows all the time at malls. Why not do that here?" she said.

Those landlords should really start dropping their rents until the stores are full, however low that might be. Short term, they're losing money anyway, so they might as well keep the shops full and try to maintain a desirable destination for when things do start looking up.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 4:25 AM

http://www.azcentral.com/community/t...25box2-ON.html

Quote:
Tempe works to jump-start projects

Feb. 25, 2009 10:00 AM

Tempe works to jump-start some projects

Tempe scheduled a meeting Tuesday with a developer who was supposed to change the face of downtown. Chris Salomone, the city's community development manager, and the city attorney met with Ken Losch, a principal of Avenue Communities LLC, Centerpoint Condos and Hayden Flour Mills developer.

The goal: to get an update on important downtown developments.
Centerpoint Condos update: Losch is mired in a court battle that has stalled the two-tower condo project on Mill Avenue. Mortgages Ltd., the financier for the condos, filed bankruptcy in the fall. Losch hoped to secure new financing on the condos but Mortgages Ltd. has filed a legal claim accusing Losch of allegedly using funds he acquired through the bankruptcy, on expenses not approved by the court.

Despite the legal battle, on Tuesday Losch told Tempe that he has new financing and will still complete the first tower, according to Salomone. Losch also said he will change direction on the second tower to counter the weak residential-sales market. He will make the condos available for lease rather than sale until the market shifts. The first tower was set to have about 357 units, the second about 450.

Hayden Flour Mills update: Losch's development agreement to rehabilitate the Mill Avenue Hayden Flour Mills with retail and restaurants has also expired. Losch said he plans to scale back the redevelopment project. Tempe is drafting a new development agreement, but for the time being Tempe will not hand over city land on which the mills sit.

Salomone said the city realizes how important Losch's project and other stalled developments, which have left empty space on Mill, are to the survival of downtown as it struggles through the recession.

Tempe has also met with DMB, a developer that had planned to bring a hotel and residential space to what is now a row of empty storefronts that used to house a Harkins Theatre, an Islands restaurant, Grilled Expeditions and other shops.

He said DMB recently agreed to allow bands to play in the former theater.

"I think DMB has acted in good faith," he said. "They tried to move into the market just like Centerpoint did, but the market went away."

He added that DMB has told the city it will start negotiating shorter-term leases to fill the spaces until the market turns and the developer can go ahead with its hotel project.

- Dianna M. Náñez
I wonder how that's going to work with the bands playing in the theater. Will they have a liquor license?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2009, 1:45 AM
Closed account

I am from Canada and stayed in Tempe for 4 days this March.

We had dinner at Z Tejas across the street from these condos.

It is sad a nice project is stalled.

Downtown Tempe is GREAT!

Had dinner at PF Chang's a few days later. The place was smokin' Food was great too!

I put 2 offers on 2 homes in Surprise and Gilbert. I want to own some USA real estate and it is a good time to buy. Met some of the homeowner's that lost their homes I was trying to purchase.

Arizona is a nice place.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2009, 4:16 AM

Michael - glad you are enjoying the deals out there. I've seen some good ones myself. Now I just wish I had some money. It would be nice if Centerpoint would finish up. At least the first tower anyways. It has a wierd ghost town feel when you walk next to it. I'm looking forward to seeing people living there. I heard they may convert the Harkins into Art/Stage shows. I hope they do something. Dtown still has a lot of people but they need to keep the vacancies down. Best of luck on your offers and enjoy AZ.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2009, 11:32 PM

Tower crane was taken down at the Tempe Gateway project. It appears as though the project will be finished in a month or two. Anything else going on out there?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 4:16 AM

Lots of apartments going up on Apache (Vue on Apache, Campus Suites, and Grigio Metro). Aside from Gateway, there's a whole lot of nothin' happening on Mill and around the cement lake.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest