Salesforce Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 6:18 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by fimiak View Post
Top floor to be event space. I have to say...I have yelled at many a forumer for even suggesting such a thing would happen. The crow tastes good. It's to be named the Ohana Floor.
Quote:
Benioff announced today that the 61st floor of the building, the highest glass-walled floor of the structure beneath the translucent screened "cap," will not in fact be his personal office suite, but will instead be a gathering space they're calling the Ohana Floor — Benioff is fond of Hawaiian culture, and the word "ohana," which means family, is used at the company to represent the "family" of employees. During the day, the floor will be used as conference and event space for Salesforce employees and customers, and at night and presumably some weekends, the space will be opened up for use by community partners, non-profits, and others, free of charge.

http://sfist.com/2017/04/06/salesfor...of.php#photo-1
As a reminder, Marc Benioff continues to generously contribute to his communities.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 6:26 PM

"Community partners, non-profits and others" probably doesn't include private parties in case anybody has a 12 year old boy anticipating his Bar-Mitzvah. But if you want to see the view, join the Opera Guild or become a donor of the AIDS Foundation or many similar groups and your odds may be good. Actually, I have been members of both groups and it doesn't take a lot of money, really. While I was active we had parties in places like the Opera House, GG Park's Conservatory of Flowers and Steinhart Aquarium (try getting tipsy making eye-to-eye contact with an alligator). Salesforce Tower now joins the list of options I'm sure.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 9:25 PM

Ground level view from the northeast yesterday:

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 12:00 AM

^^That rather extreme curved effect near the top is not entirely due to the camera lens. I was down there this afternoon and almost took the same shot just because the curvature wowed me. It looks great.

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 12:39 AM

More impact shots:

Quote:
Originally Posted by botoxic View Post

NKC_1690 by Nick Chong, on Flickr

NKC_1699 by Nick Chong, on Flickr

NKC_1712 by Nick Chong, on Flickr

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 3:15 PM

Wow! Love the curved glass. It is truly dynamic. Bright white from above and clear almost mirror-like from eye/ground level. Yes it's a relative of buildings in Hong Kong, N.J. and Chile. But... it has so much more going for it... Beautiful city, topography, bridges etc. These are inherent truths that it's cousins cannot compete with. Sorry, you can compare all you want and try to cheapen it, but it comes out as .....jealosy at its core. It don't need no freakin observation deck! You build your own building and put your own damn observation deck...get over it. NO observation deck means NO observation deck. Stop crying about it and move on. UGH? is that the right word?

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 5:34 PM

If you look carefully, you'll notice one of the construction elevators has come down

2017-05-26 14.14.33 by Joshua Goldstein, on Flickr

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 9:46 PM

Knows nothing about high-rise construction.

Does that mean that the operators now have to climb up to their "perch"?

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobroberts View Post
Does that mean that the operators now have to climb up to their "perch"?
Doubtful. There's still one construction elevator in operation I believe but usually they don't remove all construction elevators in a building like this until the building's own internal elevators are in operation.

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 3:17 AM

05/27/17

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 4:46 PM

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 5:57 PM

^^Where you asked "what's this?" is the Jean Gang twisty tower (400 ft) on Folsom: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=212226

SF may get a 450 ft tower on the temporary TransBay Bus terminal plot at the end of the block on Howard directly across the street from the Park Tower--pretty much where your circle is. It is zoned for such. The rest of the block is going to be developed as a combination of midrise, lowrise and a park which that neighborhood will need. The folks in all those towers need a place to walk their dogs and play "catch".

https://sf.curbed.com/2013/8/15/1020...nsbay-terminal

Both sites you have questions about are actually seen in this rendering with the park in the foreground and the Jean gang tower in the background:

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...inal-site.html

The massing with a "?" is a 160 ft condo structure, actual design as yet unknown along the Folsom St. end of the block. There was 4 years between these 2 renderings (the top one is oldest) and I'm not sure if the 160 ft condo was part of TransBay height rezoning or if the earlier rendering just doesn't show its height very well. The actual designs of all these buildings on the temporary terminal block is still very tentative and, as far as I can determine, no developers have been selected for them.

I guess all this belongs in the "City Compilations" section.

Last edited by Pedestrian; May 28, 2017 at 7:34 PM.

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
The rest of the block is going to be developed as a combination of midrise, lowrise and a park which that neighborhood will need. The folks in all those towers need a place to walk their dogs and play "catch".
You do realize there is a 4 block long park under construction right across the street?

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakamesalad View Post
You do realize there is a 4 block long park under construction right across the street?
Please buy a San Francisco map and check it. The top of the new TransBay is not exactly "across the street". However it also won't have large grassy spaces for playing ball or throwing a frisbee or, as I suggested, "playing catch" either. And whether they even allow dogs there remains to be seen--access will be controlled and the area hopefully will be carefully watched over by the TransBay authorities. It will be an entirely different sort of place from the usual street level public park which the one that's to be on the termporary terminal site is supposed to become. And it's a block and a half through the densest, most traffic-choked part of the city farther from the residences on Folsom and atop Rincon Hill: great for navigating with kids and dogs (not).

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 9:55 PM

There hasn't been a need to buy a map within the last 15 years. I'll show you for free:

Looks like plenty of grassy areas:

Edit: there's also another grass pad at the base of the elevated park on Howard.

And came across this rendering of SF Tower at original height:

Last edited by mt_climber13; May 28, 2017 at 10:28 PM.

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 10:31 PM

^^Thanks for making my points.

The TransBay roof is a park for adults (especially office workers): the "grass pad" sits in front of a band shell or performance platform you may notice where performance attendees would not like being trampled by frisbee throwers. The temporary TransBay block will contain a park suitable for kids, dogs, families and unorganized sports. Different things and both a desirable addition to the neighborhood.

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 10:47 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
...it also won't have large grassy spaces for playing ball or throwing a frisbee or, as I suggested, "playing catch" either. And whether they even allow dogs there remains to be seen--access will be controlled and the area hopefully will be carefully watched over by the TransBay authorities. It will be an entirely different sort of place from the usual street level public park which the one that's to be on the termporary terminal site is supposed to become. And it's a block and a half through the densest, most traffic-choked part of the city farther from the residences on Folsom and atop Rincon Hill: great for navigating with kids and dogs (not).
I agree that they different types of spaces; plus, what's wrong with having additional park space in a densely built environment?

Move on and let's get back on topic, the Salesforce Tower.

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 5:25 AM

I'll be holding my breath until the paneling on the crown is finished. I was hoping it would look more continuous and less like a "crown". Being 100% impartial here I like the US Bank Tower here better than the current Pelli design in this spot. Don't get me wrong I love the height it brings to SF but the US Bank Tower feels higher to me with its stepped design and the fact its floors aren't 14 feet high.

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_Everest View Post
I'll be holding my breath until the paneling on the crown is finished. I was hoping it would look more continuous and less like a "crown". Being 100% impartial here I like the US Bank Tower here better than the current Pelli design in this spot. Don't get me wrong I love the height it brings to SF but the US Bank Tower feels higher to me with its stepped design and the fact its floors aren't 14 feet high.
On the other hand, a little contrast is good (between the crown and the rest of the tower). Otherwise, in my opinion, the tower would look a little too bland. The crown is looking a lot better than I thought it would. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 3:15 PM

Totally agree with you Socal Alan. You know SF Everest, it could have been a 200 ft pole with a red beacon on top attached to the side at the very top...instead of the "crown". Just saying... there are worse things they could've put up there to make you "feel" it was taller.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture