HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
My best guess, based on what I think is the current building peeking out from behind that taller new one, is that this view is looking southeast from 600W across 200S.
Do you mean 600S and 200W?

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 10:22 PM
Space Magi

Typo, my bad.

Thanks for the info, Makid. Hopefully that comes to fruition! It would be an excellent addition to Midtown, SLC.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 10:35 PM

Yes, Thanks Makid for that explanation. That would make total sense and makes the project seem highly probable, not just someone's air castle.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2020, 6:45 PM

Here's another rendering showing an aerial view of the project.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2020, 7:20 PM

Ya, I still think this is not legit. This is probably some conceptual work for the owner of the property, but probably nothing that has been vetted through city zoning, etc. Also, I think the design needs a lot of editing.

Pencil, how do you have access to this?

Last edited by Orlando; Aug 28, 2020 at 7:43 PM.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2020, 7:55 PM
Space Magi

Here is a little photo update for you all. (taken today)

Sugarmont: the coverings on the northeast side are coming down. The parts that are still covered seemed like they were still unfinished. Still no activity at the Sugar Alley site.

Dixon Place is coming along nicely. It's dwarfed by the Sugarmont.

Liberty Sky is on the 7th floor, 17+ more to go.

Paperbox:

West Quarter:

95 State starting to make a big impact at City Creek:

As a bonus, here are a couple images of the exterior of the Utah Theater from the alley behind the parking structure on 200S. I wonder how old the Daynes Music sign is and if it could be saved as an artifact.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2020, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Ya, I still think this is not legit. This is probably some conceptual work for the owner of the property, but probably nothing that has been vetted through city zoning, etc. Also, I think the design needs a lot of editing.

Pencil, how do you have access to this?
These renderings are from the ELEV8 Architecture Instagram so its public. It seems like ELEV8 is currently in the process of converting hotel rooms in the south tower of the Red Lion hotel to apartments.
https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...ncyCode=SLCREF

Old Posted Aug 28, 2020, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pencil View Post
Here's another rendering showing an aerial view of the project.
Nubby and fat stuff, but shit it’s better than what’s currently there. Very shiny, but I’ll agree the walkability could be improved on.

I’ll believe it when I see it.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2020, 11:40 AM

I think that the RL proposal is very doable given the fact that all of its mixed-use aspects are in desperate demand in downtown Salt Lake. Bringing the numbers down on Hotel rooms and increasing the Apartment units is very smart, at least until this whole COVID shakeout is more clear.

The lineup of the RL site, Patrinely, 6th and Main, along with 6th and State will make for a major shift from the unimpressive mediocrity of 6th S. as the City's major gateway.

As Makid pointed out, parts of the RL site renderings really do scream future tech space or possibly bio lab space at the northwest corner. This article below posted by Atlas made some excellent points, one of which, how short on supply downtown Salt Lake City is on floorplans for Tech and or potential Bio lab. This is especially accute given the tremendous interest of out-of-town companies wanting to move to the Salt Lake area and their preference for Downtown Salt Lake's urban offerings and exciting development. Problem is, they're having to go to the big metro business parks instead of their number one choice of downtown. The new 95 S. State tower, Patrinely and hopefully the development of Red Lion will help to begin to meet that demand. I think the development of the Red Lion Property as proposed, along with 95 S. State and Patrinely will get the snow ball rolling toward Salt Lake City proper's push as a major tech hub of the CSA. The Bio Lab aspect is particularly interesting in that you can't home office something of that nature. If COVID does have a lasting effect on office patronage, then bio tech would be a something that Downtown Salt Lake City should accentuate, given its already existing leadership in the field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Nice article about Industry and the future of office space in SLC:
https://www.utahbusiness.com/salt-la...an-urban-city/

Last edited by delts145; Aug 29, 2020 at 12:17 PM.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2020, 3:49 PM

I appreciate your eternal optimism Delts, but there are a few things that make me very pessimistic that this will get built as shown or at all.

Comrade, where are you? You two are the polar opposites. Delts is overly optimistic and Comrade is overly pessimistic. I need your pessimism to balance out Delts optimism.

Here are my reasons why I am very pessimistic:
1) This is looks highly speculative. They're probably just doing these super conceptual ideas to show potential of what to do on this site to the owner so that they can drum up financial support; The owner probably doesn't really know either what the real demand for the site is.
2) The designers are way underexperienced and just out of school;
3) They're probably super eager and not getting paid for all of this work;
4) This needs a lot of editing. They've stuffed way too much on that size in a semi-haphazard order; There's a lack of cohesiveness, and organization. They've just thrown a bunch of building on to that site. The curved glass building in front of the existing building and then these two very boxy & symmetrical buildings(pretty ugly).
5) There's no possible way all of this will be built as dense as they are showing considering that it's mostly parking lots around.
6) This is all super conceptual, and they probably don't have any tenants for the office.
7) We've seen this all too well with other speculative developments.
8) I've been down this road with developers. They say something, like can you design something that is (fill in the blank), but never really intend to build it or pay for your services, but they are highly complimentary of your design, etc.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2020, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
I appreciate your eternal optimism Delts, but there are a few things that make me very pessimistic that this will get built as shown or at all.

Comrade, where are you? You two are the polar opposites. Delts is overly optimistic and Comrade is overly pessimistic. I need your pessimism to balance out Delts optimism.

Here are my reasons why I am very pessimistic:
1) This is looks highly speculative. They're probably just doing these super conceptual ideas to show potential of what to do on this site to the owner so that they can drum up financial support; The owner probably doesn't really know either what the real demand for the site is.
2) The designers are way underexperienced and just out of school;
3) They're probably super eager and not getting paid for all of this work;
4) This needs a lot of editing. They've stuffed way too much on that size in a semi-haphazard order; There's a lack of cohesiveness, and organization. They've just thrown a bunch of building on to that site. The curved glass building in front of the existing building and then these two very boxy & symmetrical buildings(pretty ugly).
5) There's no possible way all of this will be built as dense as they are showing considering that it's mostly parking lots around.
6) This is all super conceptual, and they probably don't have any tenants for the office.
7) We've seen this all too well with other speculative developments.
8) I've been down this road with developers. They say something, like can you design something that is (fill in the blank), but never really intend to build it or pay for your services, but they are highly complimentary of your design, etc.
That curved glass building definitely looks ridiculous when considering it appears set more north of the RL and the RL isn’t very set back from the street. I don’t know how it could fit in such a small footprint. With that said I think Delts is right that from a conceptual stand point nothing this concept seems to imply would not be needed. A tech or bio tech campus is definitely needed and demanded in SLC. Housing also is of course in need. This concept is workable if the developer partners with someone experienced.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2020, 8:05 PM
They all float down here

Don't worry. I think it's a pie-in-the-sky development, as well. I don't doubt something can be developed there but it's highly unlikely it'll be anything remotely this expansive. Not only does it seem they overbuilt the lot size, it just seems too ambitious and, as we all should know, ambitious projects in Salt Lake often falter long before they even begin. There are exceptions, of course, but those are rare and we have multiple more examples of failed, or scaled down, projects than those completed to their initial desired state.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2020, 8:09 PM

Okay, so I was bored today and wanted to dig around to find out how feasible the whole Hotel RL redevelopment is.

The primary developer is J. B. Earl. Currently they are focusing on redeveloping the existing Hotel. When they are completed with this phase it will entail: 184 Studio Apt Units | 216 hotel rooms

The lead architectural firm is Architectural Resources.

I think the first image that was shown was more conceptual for what could occupy the space:

The more recent update looks to be more realistic:

The newest update has the pool cut down drastically, no more wind surfing. Additionally, the Eastern edge of the new image includes more apartments. They went from 4 to 5 story buildings to 10-11 story buildings.

The new design only uses the northern section of the block, Brewvies would now stay. It also looks like the Sinclair station on the SW corner of 6ht South and West Temple will stay.

The biggest issue I see right now is Parking. Hotel RL doesn't have any underground/structured parking. As they are converting rooms to apartments (184), and will continue to operate a hotel, they will need to ensure access to parking. This means a multi-phase development.

Google Satellite View of the area

For phasing, I could see them working on the Eastern side of the project first, the 3 apartment buildings. This way it wouldn't conflict with the Patrinely projects just to the East (650 Main and its twin on West Temple).

As the primary developer has more experience with Residential, this does make more sense. It also allows the Western edge to be refined and possibly find tenants. The amount of space shown is probably close to 450,000 square feet. It is doubtful that this would be built on spec.

I do however think that the image was specifically made to shop around to possible Tech and Bio Tech companies.

Overall though, I still lean to the probable side of the development but I think as of now, we can really only expect the Residential component, along West Temple, being built. I also think that the design may change as we are most likely 12 to 18 months out from plans being submitted to begin the process with the City.

We have already seen some large changes between the 2 designs in only a few months and I think it is very reasonable to expect a few more changes before this is presented to the City.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2020, 4:59 PM

Dell loy Hansen is selling RSL (and the monarchs and riyals and the academy) due to being a racist douche.

I really really hope a local group is able to buy the team and keep them in Utah.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2020, 6:46 PM

I just saw this on the Grand Rapids thread. I guess these are similar sized metros.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2020, 9:29 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
Dell loy Hansen is selling RSL (and the monarchs and riyals and the academy) due to being a racist douche.

I really really hope a local group is able to buy the team and keep them in Utah.
It's a shame Rocky didn't knock him out all those years ago.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 12:01 AM
One Thing At A Time

Chat on Twitter is that the team is for sure staying in Utah and possibly the Miller family is interested in the purchase. Also, possibly the Qualtrics guy.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePusherMan View Post
Chat on Twitter is that the team is for sure staying in Utah and possibly the Miller family is interested in the purchase. Also, possibly the Qualtrics guy.
The Garff family may also be interested.

It is good to hear that there are a few local interested parties willing to step up.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
It's a shame Rocky didn't knock him out all those years ago.
Thank you

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 7:30 AM

SLC Avenues Project

THE SALT LAKE TRIBUNE

Salt Lake City’s Avenues upset over housing project with built-in mother-in-law apartments

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/08/...citys-avenues/

FULL ARTICLE:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West