HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 1:55 PM

One Year To Go: London 2012 Olympics

Less than a year to go now until London hosts the 2012 Olympics and Paralympics Games, fortunately there won't be any delays or rush-jobs as the authorities have ensured that London gets all the venues built well in advance. The Olympic Delivery Authority (ODA) also announced that the Aquatics Centre (the sixth and final primary venue in the Olympic Park) was also complete. Importantly the entire build project which will act as a catalyst for East London for decades to come, has been delivered on time and within budget.

The Zaha Hadid-designed Aquatics Centre will have a capacity of 17,500 during the Games (reducing to 2,500 after the Olympics in legacy mode) and houses the primary swimming pool, a training pool and the diving pool.

All that is left now is to tidy the area up, undertake a few test events, finish a few temporary structures and plant trees.

The ODA have also published a two-part document looking at what has been achieved over the past six years:
Part I: http://www.london2012.com/documents/...rm-web-pt1.pdf
Part II: http://www.london2012.com/documents/...rm-web-pt2.pdf

- All day-time aerial pictures are sourced from Getty Images, http://mm.gettyimages.com/mm/nicePat...av=pr154295876
- All night-time aerial pictures are sourced from Getty Images, http://mm.gettyimages.com/mm/actions...implified_view
- All interior shots of the Aquatic Centre are source from Getty Images, http://mm.gettyimages.com/mm/nicePat...av=pr154436719

One Year To Go: The Story So Far
Video Link

BBC News Report on London 2012
Video Link

Olympic Park Panorama: http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/5...c147hicopy.jpg

BBC Interactive Panorama: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-14298797

Olympic Stadium

Aquatic Centre

Velodrome & BMX Track

Basketball Arena

Handball Arena

Media Centre

Water Polo Arena

Orbit Tower

Olympic Village

Around The Olympic Park

Old Posted Jul 31, 2011, 4:20 PM

Getting very close now!

Old Posted Aug 6, 2011, 3:31 AM
live it or leave it.

It's going to be awesome to see everything completed.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 9:05 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

fuck london. fuck everyone involved in this. they've managed to create one of the highest quality olympics ever. some of these projects should not be in one city, they're too awesome for one city to keep.

i'm not sure why people dislike the main stadium. it's fantastic and it just feels so 'light' and well built.

i can't believe that orbit tower is actually being built. i really disliked the renderings and i'm still not sure about it. i generally try having an open mind, but fuck, it's just terrible!

the velodrome and aquatic center are simply amazing.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2011, 6:22 PM

The controversial Orbit tower - still under construction...pictures from today

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 1:13 PM

Thanks for the picture update chest - I think it'll be interesting to see how the tower fits in after the Olympics when the area sees the planned residential developments built up.

London 2012

Most of the stadiums and arenas have now been completed. All that remains is the finishing touches to a few of the temporary arenas.

Archery at the Royal Artillery Barracks

Images sourced by RMB2007 at skyscrapercity.com. (Source: http://mm.gettyimages.com/mm/nicePat...av=pr157952371)

Aquatics and Wheelchair Tennis at Eton Manor

Images sourced by RMB2007 at skyscrapercity.com. (Source: http://mm.gettyimages.com/mm/nicePat...av=pr156994005)

London 2012: Paralympic Ticket Figures Revealed
BBC, 28th September, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15068061

A total of 116,000 people have applied for 1.14 million tickets to see next year's Paralympic Games, London 2012 organisers Locog have revealed.

Ballots will take place in some price categories in 126 of the 300 ticketed sessions across 16 of the 20 sports and for the opening and closing ceremonies.

International Paralympic Committee President Sir Philip Craven said: "The response from the public for Paralympic Games tickets has been phenomenal."

The Games start on 29 August next year.

A total of 1.5 million tickets in total were on sale for the Paralympics, which will feature more than 4,200 athletes, with a variety of disabilities, from 150 nations will take part.

It is the first time in history that sessions at the Paralympics have been oversubscribed and Sir Philip continued: "To have over a million tickets applied for 11 months out from the Games is unprecedented.

Source: BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15068061

Wimbledon No 1 Court

Work is beginning on what is being referred to as Wimbledon 2020, following on from the previous long-term initiative established back in 1993.

Originally opened in 1997, No 1 Court has a capacity of 11,429 and is the second largest court at Wimbledon after Centre Court. Following the success of the £100mn roof over Centre Court, it is being looked at whether a roof could be constructed over No 1 Court. More detailed plans should be announced next May.

Source: Jon.Perry http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonpenn...n/photostream/

Old Posted Oct 29, 2011, 10:57 AM

Thumbs down Orbit tower: ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by chest View Post
The controversial Orbit tower - still under construction...pictures from today

I find it quite ugly, specially the observation deck on top which looks uninteresting and lacks any significant design. To think money is being wasted for that is beyond me.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 11:28 PM

the final loop at the top has been attached - the circular viewing gallery is still to be completed.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2011, 12:32 AM

that has to be one of the most useless collection of unrelated metal pieces I have ever seen in my life. What a waste of effort and money. I don't see any connection or relevance to the Olympics and/or London in it. Only think I could see doing with it is strapping a car onto it and charging for rides on it like a roller coaster.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2011, 9:42 PM

Wow, strong misuse of apostrophes in thread title. You'd think one of these years, someone could fix that.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 9:32 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Just curious about the Olympic Stadium. I understand that it will not contain any food outlets within the stadium, this decision was made as a means of saving cost that would have been added through fire protection and kitchens within the stadium. Has there been any concern in the media with regard to the proposed "party concourses" outside of the stadium?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2011, 3:08 AM

Any updates?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2011, 3:17 AM
Everywhere all at once

What's funny to me is that, though all of you denounce this structure (the Orbit Tower) as ugly and unnecessary, the Olympics have in the past (not unlike the World's Fairs of the 20th Century) produced some interesting landmark structures that were also likely denounced at first. The Space Needle in Seattle, the Unisphere and U.S. pavilion in Queens, NY, the Olympic Stadium in Montreal...one might even cite the Eiffel Tower here. I'll reserve judgement until this is completed, but I'm also curious to see how it ages.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2011, 8:21 AM

Wow, great photos! That said, thankfully NYC didn't win the bid- a rather bad time for it.

Was this the original plan or has it been value-engineered?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2011, 2:59 AM
Resident Jackass

Quote:
Originally Posted by chest View Post
the final loop at the top has been attached - the circular viewing gallery is still to be completed.

Are they going to install a wig shop at the top after the olympics?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
Just curious about the Olympic Stadium. I understand that it will not contain any food outlets within the stadium, this decision was made as a means of saving cost that would have been added through fire protection and kitchens within the stadium. Has there been any concern in the media with regard to the proposed "party concourses" outside of the stadium?
The original legacy strategy for the stadium was that the 80,0000 capacity stadium would be built around a 25,000 permanent bowl, with 55,000 temporary seats. It thus made little sense to build such infrastructure when looking at the long-term (the failure of many previous Olympics).

To my knowledge, the media haven't mentioned much about the composition of the stadium concourses as the on-going legacy mode battle for the stadium and dirty tactics involved between West Ham United and Tottenham Hotspurs has taken much of the media's attention.

In my view, with the high level of security and carnival-like approach I suspect it won't be too much of a concern during the Olympics.

Of course, recent developments have seen the legacy strategy change quite a bit. Out goes the 25,000 stadium dedicated to athletics, in comes the multi-mode 60,000+ capacity stadium that would cater to athletics, football, cricket, other sports and concerts.

Details on whether a dedicated concourse would be constructed as part of the transaction haven't been made public yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivymike View Post
Wow, great photos! That said, thankfully NYC didn't win the bid- a rather bad time for it.

Was this the original plan or has it been value-engineered?
The economic conditions in the wider economy aren't exactly great, but the Olympics have been a lifesaver for many businesses during the downturn.

The project has also fast-tracked several nearby developments which will see this area regenerated ahead of schedule.

One of the reasons London won the Olympics is that it presented a strong legacy case (refer to my above post to Innersoul regarding the stadium), where many of the arenas and facilities were either already in place (Wembley, Wimbledon, the 02, ExCeL, etc...) or temporary (Basketball, Water Polo, Shooting, etc...). Some events are using excellent backdrops such as Beach Volleyball at Horseguards Parade or Equestrian events at Maritime Greenwich.

Essentially the risk to the IOC was heavily reduced and it fits into their mantra of not wanting to see cities littered with white elephants (e.g. Athens and Beijing). Rio is following the same philosophy, and may even recycle some of the seats and arenas from London.

Craven Cottage Expansion

Home to Fulham Football Club in West London for 115 years, Craven Cottage is a compact and historic stadium with a capacity of 25,700.

Yet despite being in close proximity to fellow Premier League rivals (Chelsea's Stamford Bridge stadium is a mere 2.2km away and QPR's Loftus Road 3.81km), the stadium is at full capacity.

Failure to add capacity, will undoubtedly lead to Fulham struggling to generate the additional revenue to compete with not just other Premier League clubs, but London clubs in general.

Yet despite being backed by wealthy Egyptian Mohamed Al-Fayed, the present stadium site is constricted...

The above aerial illustrates the situation facing the club's present home:
- To the north lies an apartment complex,
- To the south lies a public park,
- To the east lies the expensive homes of Fulham and the Grade II listed Johnny Haynes Stand,
- To the west lies the slight hurdle of the Thames.

In the past, Fulham have looked at potentially moving to another site in West London, however fan pressure and the lack of potential sites has deterred such development.

Instead Fulham will expand the present Riverside Stand which backs onto the Thames to expand the capacity to 30,000. This would make Craven Cottage the 8th largest stadium in London (overtaking Selhurst Park and The Valley, of Crystal Palace and Charlton Athletic respectively).

As part of the design a new pedestrian path along the Thames riverbank will be created (currently you have to detour around the stadium).

The aforementioned Grade II listed Johnny Haynes stand

Source: fliefy on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/29423584@N08/5372826934/

New Chelsea FC Stadium

Chelsea's Russian owner Roman Abramovich has recently held discussions with the owners of the Battersea Power Station site in south-west London, about the possibility of constructing a new 60,000 seat stadium.

The site is located 3km due east of Chelsea's present home in Stamford Bridge and has been idle for several years ever since power generation seized.

Several developers over the years have struggled to get construction off the ground which would have seen the site become home to several thousand homes.

The Power Station itself is a giant art deco landmark, and is classified as being the largest brick-building in Europe. In recent years the vast canvass has been utilised for various extreme sports events, obscure parties and locations for films. Fans of The Dark Knight may recall it being used in some scenes.

Chelsea have desperately been seeking ways to expand match-day revenue for several years, as the present 42,500 capacity Stamford Bridge is constrained by surrounding developments. There is also pressure to maximise attendances that a larger stadium could provide to offset against the incoming UEFA Financial Fair Play rules restricting callous uncontrollable expenditure.

Previously, the Earls Court site was viewed as a potential opportunity, however going by recent developments this would appear unlikely as that vast site is set to become a large residential development. Earls Court would have been ideal for the club as the site is adjacent to the Earls Court tube station (a major transport hub) and only 700m from their present home.

There are a few hurdles to Chelsea's potential move however, despite the $bn's available to the club courteously of Mr Abramovich:
- The pitch and naming rights to the club are owned by the Chelsea Pitch Owners (around 15,000 individuals), without their permission, the club would be unable to sell the present site or use the 'Chelsea FC' name.
- Even with a stadium, the site would still need extensive development (potential for several thousand housing units).
- The club would have to contribute towards the planned Northern Line Extension to Battersea.

Almacantar has been appointed as development partner, while KPF have been instructed to draw up plans.

My view - this entire area up to Vauxhall is due to be redeveloped in the coming years, so this could be a good catalyst for other developments. I suspect the stadium would struggle to be incorporated into the power station however.

Stamford Bridge

Source: Gkriniaris on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gkriniaris/4378545156/

Battersea Power Station

Source: John Linwood on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2704588...n/photostream/

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 2:20 PM

Happy New Year all! 200 days till the Olympic party begins!

Video Link

Image taken by Richard Barnes London: http://www.flickr.com/photos/richard...n/photostream/

Olympic Park

Update from December of the Olympic Park and venues. Photos sourced from London 2012: http://www.london2012.com/press/medi...tion-on-ev.php

Velodrome & BMW Track

Handball Arena

Olympic Park

Water Polo Arena

Olympic Village

International Broadcasting Centre

Eton Manor

Olympic Stadium

Aquatic Centre

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 12:09 PM

Also worth watching is a 5 minute flythrough in and over the entire Olympic Park and venues: http://www.london2012.com/videos/201...nuary-2012.php

VeloPark – Legacy Mode
On another note, the Olympic Park Legacy Company submitted plans for the VeloPark which includes a one mile road cycle circuit and eight kilometres of mountain bike trails. Images below and sourced from Inside The Games: http://www.insidethegames.biz/sports...class-velopark

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 4:48 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Thanks for the response! The venues look fantastic.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 1:56 PM

I don't like the red Orbit sculpture.
I know it's art and anything goes, but I still don't like it.
It degrade and cheapens the whole site.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development