HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Princeton, historically, was stereotyped as the most WASPy blueblood conservative traditionalist Ivy. Even today, the eating/social clubs are quite a throwback.
Princeton the school and Princeton the town are two very different things. Today, aside from the borough which is where the school is located and accounts for only 3% of Mercer County's population, the halo slash moniker of "Princeton" is applied to virtually the entire orbit of the county around Princeton, including West Windsor, Hopewell, Pennington, Lawrence, and parts of Ewing.

These are decidely middle to upper middle class places with frequent splashes of wealth, increasingly less and less white and more and more South and East Asian. West Windsor was nearly 40% Asian in the 2010 Census. Plainsboro was nearly 50%. They obviously even more Asian today.

The WASP label doesn't really apply anymore.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
Princeton the school and Princeton the town are two very different things.
Princeton, the town, is very urbane/lefty liberal/coastal elitist.

Princeton, the general area, is just upper middle class suburban sprawl, with a big Asian population and lots of McMansions and newer apartment complexes. Affluent Jersey sprawl.

Princeton, the university, probably isn't WASPier or more conservative than peer institutions these days. Universities all use a common application, and the top students are applying to the same schools. WASPs basically don't exist post-boomer generation, and all the Ivies are pretty lefty liberal.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 10:02 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
MIT sounds like Carnegie Mellon. Very techie-nerdy, but also artsy-nerdy, given the drama and graphic arts programs.
CMU and MIT are indeed very similar based on impressions from people who went to CMU for undergrad and MIT for grad school.

My impression of MIT undergrads from TAing them is that they're not very different from Stanford undergrads once you remove the humanities majors and athletes Maybe there are some more LARPers or people who don't know how to properly dress themselves at MIT, but not by much.

Caltech is... something else entirely. I went to their grad school visit weekend and the undergrads on campus kind of freaked me out. But I now know a good number of of Caltech undergrad alumni and maybe 3/4 of them seem totally fine and well-adjusted (I know even more PhD alumni, but obviously you can't compare the two).

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 10:15 PM

Just for shits and giggles, I Google image searched "Caltech," and this is what I got:

I did the same for "MIT":

~ Charles Bukowski

Last edited by sopas ej; Oct 23, 2021 at 3:15 AM.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 10:22 PM
你的媽媽

Nerd alert.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 10:26 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

I think the gender ratio has slightly improved recently, but this is what Caltech is well-known for:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...?term=glomming

No joke, when I was visiting Caltech (spring 2009) a bunch of undergrads came up to me and asked me what I thought about the practice...

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 10:27 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Nerd alert.
Right? And the Caltech group I can totally see lining up at Tpumps on Lake Avenue in Pasadena.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 10:35 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Right? And the Caltech group I can totally see lining up at Tpumps on Lake Avenue in Pasadena.
They need fuel for those last night study sesh's.

Although I'm intrigued by OinkMoo Tea Bar. I'll have to try it next time I'm in the area.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
They need fuel for those last night study sesh's.

Although I'm intrigued by OinkMoo Tea Bar. I'll have to try it next time I'm in the area.
Oh yes, that's a newer one. I actually wanna try OinkMoo. I've never been to Tpumps, because it would have long lines. Mostly young people, too, some looking like they're still in high school.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 11:00 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
I think the gender ratio has slightly improved recently, but this is what Caltech is well-known for:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...?term=glomming

No joke, when I was visiting Caltech (spring 2009) a bunch of undergrads came up to me and asked me what I thought about the practice...
And to think, women will soon outnumber men in college 2-to-1. But not in STEM of course.

Another hot statistic: one study found that women find 80% of men below average in attractiveness.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 11:20 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
And to think, women will soon outnumber men in college 2-to-1. But not in STEM of course.

Another hot statistic: one study found that women find 80% of men below average in attractiveness.
Well that's no surprise. Attractiveness is a multivariable thing (physical, intelligence, personality, etc ) and being above average in all variables is relatively rare.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Not true. Princeton is a short, direct train ride from Manhattan. There is no direct train from Princeton to Philly. That would be a difficult commute.
“Short” is probably a bit of a stretch; the journey time from Princeton to New York Penn (arriving before 0900) ranges from 1hr 7mins to 2hrs. A situation not helped by long transfer times at Princeton Junction (5-11mins) and an intermittent service. If you can’t get a direct train to either New York or Philadelphia, it probably doesn’t fall within the threshold of either.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
CMU and MIT are indeed very similar based on impressions from people who went to CMU for undergrad and MIT for grad school.

My impression of MIT undergrads from TAing them is that they're not very different from Stanford undergrads once you remove the humanities majors and athletes Maybe there are some more LARPers or people who don't know how to properly dress themselves at MIT, but not by much.

Caltech is... something else entirely. I went to their grad school visit weekend and the undergrads on campus kind of freaked me out. But I now know a good number of of Caltech undergrad alumni and maybe 3/4 of them seem totally fine and well-adjusted (I know even more PhD alumni, but obviously you can't compare the two).
Yes. I went on a tour of Caltech in my junior year of high school since I was considering it as one of my colleges. Our tour guide was obviously a genius, nerdy, and probably a little on the autism spectrum, or maybe just a bit of asbergers. But clearly a genius. Mismatched socks, and yes, I swear, as he talks he fondled a magnet. Probably two magnets. Since he was a physics student, the magnetic forces probably appealed to him. He probably dreamed Faraday lines and Maxwell equations.

Caltech I would wager is the highest IQ school in the U.S., maybe even edging out MIT. I think the students at Caltech embrace their nerdiness as a badge of honor, and did so decades before it became fashionable to be a nerd or least pretend to be one, even before the terms "nerd" and "geek" were invented. If you remember the film "War Games", the two nerdy/geeky geniuses that the Broderick character gets computer advice from, probably C.T. grads. Like I said earlier, they didn't set "Big Bang Theory" at Caltech and nearby JPL (that started as a Caltech facility where rockets could be safely tested away from campus) for nothing. The polar opposite of a "football school", although some of the students play a form of football, badly. Why Stanford prides itself on sometimes having good football teams puzzled me, until I realized that Stanford is secure in its elite reputation so they can afford to. Plus football is important to some of the alums. But the band is a joke, so it shows where their heart is, with the nerds.

Most colleges, including the best and smartest, proclaim to adhere to the ancient Greek (or at least Ionnian/Athenian) ideal of balance (the Dorians/Spartans mostly viered to the militaristic pole although some of their colonies did not). The ideal person (if their ability and social position allowed) should be a scholar, cultured, socially adept, politically involved, athletic, and a warrior if necessary. Only a relative few achieved this balance, but some did. Socrates was a genius philosopher, man about town at all the best parties, and a skilled warrier in the Pelo. War, although it didn't end up well for him when a conservative faction took over after the defeat to Sparta and put him to death.

Of course some colleges lean to one pole or the other, the "Spartan" football schools, where football is an important revenue source and gives pride to alums and students, and the "Athenian" academic excellence/balanced schools. Some schools (UCLA, Washington, Michigan, Texas, Stanford etc.) do it all well, academics & athletics. Schools like MIT and Caltech have put in mandatory humanities courses for undergrads, and encourage them to take up sports, or at least keep fit in a striving for balance, not just hard science excellence. While many of our billionaires were nerds, the nerdy/geeky aspects have become somewhat worn down, not entirely. A certain mega billionaire who I will not name still rocks back and forth in his chair, and for all I know, might be rolling magnets in his hand to this day. And honestly, being a nerd became cool when it was observed how rich they often became. The jocks, in most cases, sold shoes or changed tires. The luckier jocks became well off selling cars, or real estate. Very few became pro sports millionaires.

Last edited by CaliNative; Oct 24, 2021 at 12:34 AM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
For that matter, I doubt many people are commuting FROM NYC to Princeton on train. The errant Princeton professor and that's it.

So what's the point?

There are far more people commuting to Princeton from Philadelphia and Bucks County than are commuting from NYC to Princeton, via any means of transportation. I would say the delta between the two is in the thousands if not tens of thousands.

The payroll of any large company in the Princeton (esp on the southern end of "Princeton", i.e. lower Rt 1, 206, and 295) area likely has 30-40% of its staff living in PA and maybe 1-2% living in NY. If that.
I agree. Princeton is more in the Philly orbit than NYC. But they put it in NYC anyway. The power of being the dominant city. And no, Princeton is definitely no longer a "wasp" school like it was when Fitzgerald went there, although the dining clubs still exist I believe as a beloved throwback. It reflects America. But no doubt still lots of legacy admits.

Last edited by CaliNative; Oct 23, 2021 at 5:48 PM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 5:41 PM

"He spelled Yale with a 6"

Video Link

"Such then is the human condition , that to wish greatness for one's country is to wish harm to one's neighbor" Voltaire

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nito View Post
“Short” is probably a bit of a stretch; the journey time from Princeton to New York Penn (arriving before 0900) ranges from 1hr 7mins to 2hrs. A situation not helped by long transfer times at Princeton Junction (5-11mins) and an intermittent service. If you can’t get a direct train to either New York or Philadelphia, it probably doesn’t fall within the threshold of either.
Princeton Junction is the local train station. It's less than a 10 minute drive or cab ride from Princeton Junction to the campus. The Princeton Dinky is just a local shuttle to the main line.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Just for shits and giggles, I Google image searched "Caltech," and this is what I got:
That was fun. I did my undergrad school and got:

https://www.google.com/search?rls=en...pKyN8k9-_GGbQM

When I went there, this place was 99% white men (I'd guess about ⅓ of them Jewish) and mostly from the northeast.. They didn't admit women. I'd say their diversity effort is a success.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 8:33 PM

On the other hand, acting ability is not a requirement for admission:

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 11:40 PM

delete

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions