HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 9, 2017, 5:44 PM
SUSPENDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWILLSKYLINE View Post
Great picture! It's funny to zoom in above 215 w. Hubbard and see that zoo of color. Mcdonalds, hard rock, rainforest. Blah. Knock that ugly tourist crap down and build some towers.
I'd be patient. Those are large sites, and it'd be a shame to waste them on something only 30 stories or so. Let them be while surrounding sites develop a plateau. Then when a developer wants to be able to offer guaranteed views over the neighbors, they'll be forced to go tall.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2017, 5:59 PM
BANNED

Yeah that's my hope too. It would only take one 600-700 foot glass tower by bkl or hovey to totally improve River North's skyline.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2017, 6:14 PM

definitely starting to need height in that northwest sector of the skyline pretty badly

Old Posted Feb 9, 2017, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
definitely starting to need height in that northwest sector of the skyline pretty badly
Agreed. I'd like to see some density in the South Loop and maybe greater push west into the West Loop before we see more towers in River North. The skyline is fairly lopsided ATM. Would appreciate some balance.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2017, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Agreed. I'd like to see some density in the South Loop and maybe greater push west into the West Loop before we see more towers in River North. The skyline is fairly lopsided ATM. Would appreciate some balance.
South Loop is/will get it when OGP, Essex, and 1000S are done.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2017, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Yellow crane for 8 E. Huron below Big John. Otherwise looks great. Nice work!
Those are some impressive eagle eyes. Well done!

Old Posted Feb 9, 2017, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAgain View Post
South Loop is/will get it when OGP, Essex, and 1000S are done.
Riverline will help too. I have concerns about 1000 S. Michigan getting completed, but TBD. I'd like to see some height between Roosevelt and 31st. I know, I know, it's a huge area, but there are tons of surface parking lots, vacant lots, and single story buildings. I suppose River North and much of the West Loop will need to be totally built out before we see developers venture that far south.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2017, 8:10 PM

9 W Walton

Quick shot from the train:

Old Posted Feb 9, 2017, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
Yeah that's my hope too. It would only take one 600-700 foot glass tower by bkl or hovey to totally improve River North's skyline.
You'd have to improve the alderman first as the alderman would never approve something of that stature over there.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2017, 9:27 PM

^ Exaclty... Alderman Reilly is really a pain when it comes to height ..he seems to get way to involved in matters of too tall or too dense (why height bothers people is beside me considering there are tall buildings all over the place)

Old Posted Feb 9, 2017, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs111 View Post
^ Exaclty... Alderman Reilly is really a pain when it comes to height ..he seems to get way to involved in matters of too tall or too dense (why height bothers people is beside me considering there are tall buildings all over the place)
People cry about views and shadows. If you bought a condo in the 10th floor of a River North high rise, you cannot expect to maintain that view in perpetuity. Don't blame people for trying though.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2017, 10:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
You'd have to improve the alderman first as the alderman would never approve something of that stature over there.
Well the abominable amli turd is 600' and i believe that was under Reilly's tenure? not positive tho.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2017, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
I'd be patient. Those are large sites, and it'd be a shame to waste them on something only 30 stories or so. Let them be while surrounding sites develop a plateau. Then when a developer wants to be able to offer guaranteed views over the neighbors, they'll be forced to go tall.
All the while contributing nice amounts of property tax, sales tax, service jobs, etc.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2017, 7:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
Well the abominable amli turd is 600' and i believe that was under Reilly's tenure? not positive tho.
It was also an as-of-right project.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2017, 3:11 PM
you know where I'll be

217 N Jefferson

So I read this week - though can't recall where (maybe dnainfo?) that the nice 217 N Jefferson residential proposal (developer JDL, architect HPA) is apparently either dead or dormant but will definitely be downsized/redesigned. NIMBY complaints of too tall, not in character with surrounding buildings, etc caused Reilly to demand changes/downsizing, but JDL apparently didn't come back with anything. I have this feeling that for some reason, Reilly is really oddly oversensitive to NIMBY pressure in this particular area....I remember something of the sort happening with 108 N Jefferson - if anyone else remembers the original proposal was for a taller residential building than the hotel tower which eventually got built (in between, there was an office proposal)....

Old Posted Feb 10, 2017, 3:16 PM
The City

^ Reilly is a pandering douche monkey of epic proportions, nobody here except our in house shadow-diagram guru Mr D denies that. But I think he unwittingly did us all a favor.

That site ultimately should get something better than another stack of Jartas sitting atop another nasty ass parking podium complaining about every and anything that will obstruct their views.

Just my opinion

Old Posted Feb 10, 2017, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
So I read this week - though can't recall where (maybe dnainfo?) that the nice 217 N Jefferson residential proposal (developer JDL, architect HPA) is apparently either dead or dormant but will definitely be downsized/redesigned. NIMBY complaints of too tall, not in character with surrounding buildings, etc caused Reilly to demand changes/downsizing, but JDL apparently didn't come back with anything. I have this feeling that for some reason, Reilly is really oddly oversensitive to NIMBY pressure in this particular area....I remember something of the sort happening with 108 N Jefferson - if anyone else remembers the original proposal was for a taller residential building than the hotel tower which eventually got built (in between, there was an office proposal)....
So would this proposal have just been on the empty lot or also involved ripping down the loft building? It's an old building with character and this is Chicago so I'm assuming the old building would be demoslished.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2017, 3:42 PM
you know where I'll be

^ I'd thought it was only the lot. Don't know it for a fact though - perhaps just an alternative fact....

Old Posted Feb 10, 2017, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
I believe this is the article you are referring to.

Glassy high-rise condo proposal for Jefferson and Fulton dead

Quote:
Last night at a Neighbors of West Loop community meeting, 42nd Ward Alderman Brendan Reilly cited issues regarding the height and density of the project as well as the narrowness of the site creating a very tall and potentially unattractive parking garage. Developed by JDL and designed by Hartshorne Plunkard Architecture, the glassy tower would have contained just 94 residences costing between $800,000 and $3 million plus parking for 96 vehicles.

"After we got some feedback from the neighbors and tried to negotiate this with the developer, it became very clear that the proposal wasn’t in any shape to move forward,” explained the Alderman. “We told the developer to shelve that and go back to the drawing board and come back with something more appropriate for the neighborhood context—a little lower in height and also in density to be more like the surrounding properties.”

Old Posted Feb 10, 2017, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiHi View Post
So would this proposal have just been on the empty lot or also involved ripping down the loft building? It's an old building with character and this is Chicago so I'm assuming the old building would be demoslished.
It did not involve a teardown of the loft building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations