HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy1983 View Post
Are those the condos directly across the street from the Village? Those aren't IMO the best use for that piece of land, and it doesn't look like they were there for very long. You are absolutely right that the Village at East Side is going to look rather out of place as well. I never was a fan of auto-centric shopping centers, especially ones in an urban setting like East Liberty. Hopefully they'll revamp that sooner as opposed to later or not at all...

It's a shame they built those condos when they did; they back all the way up to Penn Avenue...
I believe the Village of Shadyside (the condos) were built in the mid-1990s. At that time East Liberty was still very undesirable and high crime, so the condo development "turned its back on Penn" facing itself instead on a random back street in Shadyside and built a brick wall fronting on Penn Avenue. Also note that it's a literal gated community. Very much of its time.

In retrospect, it seems colossally stupid - and will seem even moreso if The Village of Eastside (the shopping center) is ever redeveloped. There is a gate for cars and pedestrians on Penn, but I believe it's always locked to keep out "the riffraff." If I lived there I'd hate that I needed to walk for 10 minutes to get to Trader Joes, which was nominally right across the street. Hopefully at some point there's enough support at the condo board to making the Penn side into a real gate as well, though turning it into a public-access road is probably beyond the pale.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations