HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayStar View Post
All well and good, but if PS employment tasks no longer require being in the office, that should open the door to having anyone in Canada apply for the positions (with appropriate salary modifications).

.. and if it’s truly that straightforward.. overseas options could be very financially attractive to the employer.

I love Ottawa…. But I think it’s truly a dangerous game PS employees are playing.
Umm, anyone in Canada (citizens) CAN apply for public service positions.

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayStar View Post
All well and good, but if PS employment tasks no longer require being in the office, that should open the door to having anyone in Canada apply for the positions (with appropriate salary modifications).

.. and if it’s truly that straightforward.. overseas options could be very financially attractive to the employer.

I love Ottawa…. But I think it’s truly a dangerous game PS employees are playing.
This is an argument for the city of Ottawa but not really a threat to the average worker nor really their union that gets dues either way. Anyway Cons could order 5 days a week and be glad if some quit. Will be interesting where they put them all though.

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Yes, but many of the jobs require you to be in a specific location. Not always, but often enough.

What is interesting is during the pandemic, most regional restrictions were removed. So, now a lot of teams have folks who work across the country, more than before the pandemic, and not always in clustered locations... a lot of these people are literally on their own, or with a handful of people from their department with technically no local office for them to even go to.

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 5:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
PS jobs are often geographically limited.

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 10:46 AM

I'm curious to see how they balance a few issues against this full return to the office.

In my organization, they got rid of another building and went to hoteling cubicles. It's physically impossible to have everybody at work 5 days a week. I assume DND is not the only place that has been consolidating real estate. This pledge to free to real estate for other priorities (like housing) does bank on hybrid work in many places.

Next is remote teams. There's people hired and teams constructed that are now distributed throughout the country. Are they going to be forced to move or just use a random office nearby? For us DND used remote work to hire candidates we could not normally get (because of requirements to move to Ottawa) and to retain military personnel threatening to quit because of a move and going to office jobs. We gave them the option to work remotely as long as they funded their own travel to routine meetings. Saved the CAF $50-100k on a move and got to retain a member who probably would have quit for family reasons.

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 11:51 AM

I don't have a problem with remote positions per se, the federal government has had remote workers for decades. My concern is the thing that is determining whether a job should be remote or not is being based on the opinions of the employee that was hired for an in-person job in the NCR. Whether or not a job can be done effectively on a remote basis should not be determined by the employee or by their decision to move 125 km from the National Capital region. It should be determined based on the nature and requirements of the position.

If a position is suitable for remote work then the job description should be rewritten to reflect the modified duties and its classification should be reviewed based on the new job description. It should also still be a remote job when it is filled again in the future.

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 8:40 PM

Mostly agree. I actually think they should rewrite way more of the professional positions that have less security requirements to be remote. We'd get way better talent if the requirement to move to the NCR wasn't there. My department hired an aerodynamicist during COVID with a stellar resume. No way we would have got this guy if we demanded he move from Montreal. He comes down when meetings are needed and stays with a friend when there's classified work that can't be done remotely. In the past, we'd have gotten a less skilled engineer and been mostly limited to the NCR or those willing to move.

I'd go so far as to say that more than half the non-client facing jobs in government can be done remotely. If a government was ambitious enough they could move tens of thousands of jobs out of the NCR and benefit from a much broader hiring pool and much lower infrastructure bill.

It's unfortunate that slacking on the client facing jobs has ruined WFH and remote work for so much of the professional class in government. There's a real opportunity to access better talent if not restricted to the NCR.

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 12:34 PM

^But is that something we really want to encourage? Outside of a few key technical jobs (like the one you mentioned), I don't think it's wise to go that route.

I work at a fairly large corporate headquarters here in Ottawa. During the past 5 years, our company has hired probably 10 to 20 high ranking executives from Toronto/GTA who visit Ottawa once every 2 to 4 weeks.

If more of these high paying jobs continue to go to "outsiders", then it will negatively impact Ottawa as a City (not attracting families or top talent, university & college graduates could leave the city in droves after graduating, all of those salary and bonus $ spent elsewhere outside of the City).

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
^But is that something we really want to encourage? Outside of a few key technical jobs (like the one you mentioned), I don't think it's wise to go that route.

I work at a fairly large corporate headquarters here in Ottawa. During the past 5 years, our company has hired probably 10 to 20 high ranking executives from Toronto/GTA who visit Ottawa once every 2 to 4 weeks.

If more of these high paying jobs continue to go to "outsiders", then it will negatively impact Ottawa as a City (not attracting families or top talent, university & college graduates could leave the city in droves after graduating, all of those salary and bonus $ spent elsewhere outside of the City).
If most high ranking executives are located outside of Ottawa, wouldn't it be easy to relocate the Ottawa office entirely eventually?

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 2:11 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post

Yup. In my hiring I prefer the candidates who are willing to make the move. It tells me they really want the job and will do whatever it takes, as opposed to others who view it as a job of convenience mostly.

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWflier View Post
Yup. In my hiring I prefer the candidates who are willing to make the move. It tells me they really want the job and will do whatever it takes, as opposed to others who view it as a job of convenience mostly.
I'm sure it depends on the field, but we also have no problem requiring professionals that we hire to be located in Ottawa. I've done a lot of post-pandemic hiring and can't think of any significant loss of talent because of it.

On your convenience point, I do suspect that organizations are ignoring the issue of retention at their peril. Hiring and training employees costs a fortune, and I expect that there will be a significantly higher turnover rate with remote employees who have never set foot in a building with their co-workers and can jump to another employer from the comfort of their living room.

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 1:10 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

City's 'digital twin' offers a virtual glimpse of future Ottawa

Blair Crawford, Ottawa Citizen
Published May 07, 2024 • Last updated 4 hours ago • 4 minute read

City of Ottawa planners have a powerful new tool to see the city’s past, present and future with just the click of a mouse.

Ottawa’s “digital twin” harnesses high resolution aerial imagery, page after page of bylaws and technical specifications, geological studies and countless other data sets to form a 3D virtual duplicate of the city.

From the tip of its tallest buildings to the depths of of its deepest infrastructure, the digital twin shows Ottawa as it has never been seen before.

“If you’ve ever done a home renovation, the first thing you ask is ‘What will it look like?'” says Randal Rodger, program manager of geospatial analytics, technology and solutions with the city.

“That’s the real power of the digital twin. We can immerse you in a 3D environment. You can see what it will look like, but also see a new proposal it its context and in a realistic fashion. That’s very powerful for people.”

Building the digital twin began in conjunction with Ottawa’s official plan, which was adopted in 2022, and the comprehensive zoning bylaw amendment, which is now under review and is to be completed by late 2025.

Want to see what your neighbourhood might look like in 20 years if the city continues to build denser and taller? The digital twin can show you.

How will a proposed development affect the view to the downtown? What would Bank Street look like if all overhead wires were buried? How close is that underground parking garage to the main trunk sewer? When were all the houses on your street built?

The city “presents policies in a lot of charts and numbers and they’re not always easy for humans to understand,” Rodger says.

To demonstrate, he shows a table of numbers that lay out the requirements in a particular city zoning. The computer uses machine learning and artificial intelligence to translate that data into a visual representation of what those regulations look like in the real world.

“When you look at it, it’s just a lot of numbers — it’s like a cook book for policy and planners — and it becomes an exercise in math and thinking,” he says. “But if I take that table of numbers and convert it to a model, then I begin to understand intuitively what it means.”

Residents don’t like that planned 40-storey high rise? Click, click, click. Here’s what it would look like at 25 storeys.

Users of the digital twin can put on virtual reality head sets to immerse themselves inside the virtual world. Or city staff can use 3D printers to produce a physical model residents can see and touch.

Rodger and geospatial strategist, Jean-Françoise Dionne, headed up the city team along with Esri Canada, a geographic information service company, to develop the digital twin. They used aircraft to map the city with lidar (light detection and ranging, which uses lasers to measure distances), obtaining maps accurate to within six centimetres in the urban core and 13 centimetres in the rural areas.

On to that base model, any number of other data sets can be added: soil types, tree cover, storm water permeability, building shadows, flood plains.

The city has long collected data like that, Rodger said, but it wasn’t always very useable.

“It existed on a server somewhere and it was very difficult to access. The concept of the digital twin is to bring that information to the people, to the staff, and then add the analytics.”

One overlay analyzes the city in terms of the “15-minute neighbourhood” — the concept that everyone should have easy access to amenities and essential services. Rodger manipulates the map to Westboro, where individual buildings are colour coded according to their 15-minute rating.

“For 15-minute neighbourhoods we need to understand if there are services. Is there a school? Is there a daycare within 15 minutes? And if there isn’t, how can the infrastructure be changed? Adding a pedestrian bridge across the canal, for example, might open up an entire neighbourhood to amenities they were restricted from before.”

Another overlay shows the downtown core with the maximum allowable building height marked in red. Another shows how much roof area is available in a neighbourhood for solar panels. One shows the tree canopy and the city’s heat islands.

Faced with a housing crisis and rapidly changing provincial and federal rules regarding housing means the city must be able to move quickly to respond. Some of the $176 million Ottawa received from the federal housing accelerator fund in February is being used to support the digital twin project, Rodger said.

“A lot of the things we did in the past were over long time frames. We were looking at one to five years to update a land use plan,” he said. “Those time lines are too slow now. We need the information in real time. We need to know, is it shovel ready?”

The city expects the digital twin will be available for public use on Engage Ottawa by May 31, the same day it presents its first draft of the comprehensive zoning bylaw amendment.

Not all the data will be available for public use because of privacy, proprietary and security concerns, but Rodger said a slider feature will allow people to see the city as it looks today and how it might look in the future under the proposed new zoning bylaws.

“We can see the numbers and the density that are being proposed, but what does that really mean?” he said. “That’s what we’re trying to do — to engage people so they can see what the impact will be as the city develops out over time.”

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...s-digital-twin

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawacurious View Post
Nearly all gone and in piles of rubble.
The site has been smoothed out (fresh gravel spread out) and rolled smooth by heavy equipment. (400 industrial)

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa