HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 2:49 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
I agree with the fact that especially if the Coyotes are going to relocate, TNSE is missing the ball

but at the same time I have come to terms with the reality as it has been known for over a year now that they're not going to be the Winnipeg Jets.

TNSE are extremely intelligent. They have their reasons.
you know what is going to happen right? the fans will wear jets jerseys to the games and chant 'go jets go'. Manitoba Moose is a minor league name. ok I will let this rest now lol.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 3:14 AM

Quote:
I agree with the fact that especially if the Coyotes are going to relocate, TNSE is missing the ball

but at the same time I have come to terms with the reality as it has been known for over a year now that they're not going to be the Winnipeg Jets.

If we get as far to be demanding they be named the Jets, then who cares in the end? I'm sure most people can agree that they would eventually acquiesce to ANY name, so be it that it is an NHL team we are watching!

On the other hand, I can see the party at Portage and Main, thousands upon thousands, chanting... "WE WANT THE JETS! ... WE WANT THE JETS!..."

Besides, how much do you want to bet that they'll market their new logo / jersey, (hats, t-shirts, etc), and then bring back the Jets jerseys for "special" games, etc. New identity for the future; respect the memories of the past.

It'll all be boiled up into some kind of (heart-warming?) emotional marketing campaign that'll get people to empty their TFSAs to buy tickets.

Yes, TNSE likely has a marketing plan that depends on the new and the old.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayward_prince View Post
you know what is going to happen right? the fans will wear jets jerseys to the games and chant 'go jets go'. Manitoba Moose is a minor league name. ok I will let this rest now lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
If we get as far to be demanding they be named the Jets, then who cares in the end? I'm sure most people can agree that they would eventually acquiesce to ANY name, so be it that it is an NHL team we are watching!

On the other hand, I can see the party at Portage and Main, thousands upon thousands, chanting... "WE WANT THE JETS! ... WE WANT THE JETS!..."

Besides, how much do you want to bet that they'll market their new logo / jersey, (hats, t-shirts, etc), and then bring back the Jets jerseys for "special" games, etc. New identity for the future; respect the memories of the past.

It'll all be boiled up into some kind of (heart-warming?) emotional marketing campaign that'll get people to empty their TFSAs to buy tickets.

Yes, TNSE likely has a marketing plan that depends on the new and the old.
Yeah

I hope we`ll be pleasantly surprised or whatever happens makes sense

but one thing I do not trust is the notion they will be named the Moose. From what I have heard, and I believe it, they will not be the Moose.

The guy who reported `Manitoba (TBA)` is correct, from what I know.

But things can change...I have heard the jets name might come into play, and Ive also heard they might use that as a third retro style jersey much like the Wild use

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 9:07 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Yeah

I hope we`ll be pleasantly surprised or whatever happens makes sense

but one thing I do not trust is the notion they will be named the Moose. From what I have heard, and I believe it, they will not be the Moose.

The guy who reported `Manitoba (TBA)` is correct, from what I know.

But things can change...I have heard the jets name might come into play, and Ive also heard they might use that as a third retro style jersey much like the Wild use
but that waters down the effectiveness of the marketing. One day we’re the Moose, then the Jets and then somedays we are the Moose on Jets?? Consistency is key and years of consistent marketing of the name Winnipeg Jets is already in place.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 9:09 AM
BANNED

Quote:

I still find it rather poignant that a New York reporter from NBC took the time to write a short yet very smart article on why he thought the name being the Manitoba Moose is one hell of a Moostake. People in New York or most of the world actually would never have heard or know the name Winnipeg had it not been for the Jets. Coming back to Winnipeg is a Cinderella story all over the world and to diminish that effect by changing not only the team name but location of the team name is totally foolish. Not only do we have to draw crowds at home but being a good member of the league means drawing crowds for others when we are on the road and trust me there is such a lost opportunity by naming the team some place they have never heard of and which only reminds American’s of the stereotypical crap of hunting and fishing and hosehead beer drinkers. This is the only opportunity we have to make Winnipeg known again. Heck even San Jose gets their city named and Anaheim. For me it’s half about the hockey and half about making me feel proud of the city I live in and to be honest I now have a very apathetic view of a team coming here because ‘big brother owner’ is not giving us what we want with the name-yet they expect me to pay around 100 bucks for a ticket. Instead of running out and buying a package of 20 games or so I think I will now sit back and wait for the team to be near the top of their division before I even consider buying ONE ticket to go check them out. The wind is out of my sales now. To hell with corporate marketing ‘geniuses’. Remember ‘Spirited Energy' well I think this will be about as dismal a marketing campaign as that. I go on business to other Canadian cities often and will continue to spend some if not all of my hockey money on the Canucks and Flames. I’m tired of Winnipeg or ‘Manitoba’ now doing things that are always second rate and end up embarrassing me for the place I live. I'm not excited anymore and I know it's a huge let down for the majority of people who are expected to pay good money for tickets-tell that to Chipman's marketing staff.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 2:06 PM
Urban Advocate

I think they fail to see the years of 'marketing' behind the Jets name outside of Winnipeg. The 'Jets' brand has a legacy not only in the hockey market, but throughout Canadian culture. They may have spent millions promoting the Manitoba Moose name in southern Manitoba over the past decade, but I can tell you no one out side of Manitoba has been impacted by this, nor do they care.

Locally, I think fans would reluctantly accept the Manitoba Moose brand over time. If only for the blackmailing of getting an NHL team again. Outside of Manitoba however, it would take a hell of a lot longer to out do the brand recognition of the Jets that already exists.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Last edited by rapid_business; Mar 16, 2011 at 4:49 PM.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 4:00 PM

Would we say that "Winnipeg" is more easily recognizable around the world than "Manitoba?"

My wife went to Lithuania / Estonia / Latvia in 2007, and when she told people where she was from, they usually replied with a smile and said "Winnipeg Jets!"

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 4:31 PM
Home of Hyperchange

1. I agree, "Winnipeg" is likely much more recognized internationally than "Manitoba". For the Jets, but also because people tend to know our cities more than our provinces (quick, everyone from Canada - name me 3 German cities, then name me 3 German "provinces" - see? This applies to most countries).

2. "Moose" is no more amateur league sounding than "Penguins" or "Ducks" or hell, even "Panthers" or "Sharks" or "Coyotes". Other than the fact that at this exact moment in time our brains associate it with the AHL. Things change. "Jets" used to be a WHL team name (yes, before the WHA).

3. "Jets" is a borrowed name from the NFL anyway. It really has nothing to do with Winnipeg, contrary to people who continue to bring up CentrePort etc. Winnipeg really isn't known for its airport or planes in general.

4. Team branding is all about money, and making more of it. It's not about being "retro", it's not about your emotions as a child, it's not about what is "right", it's not about historical accuracy, and it's not about what the fans think on a petition, radio call-in show, or Internet forum. It's 100% about what makes the most money. If TNSE thinks they'll make more money going in a different direction, they will.

5. If this team's immediate fortunes live and die based on whether or not we re-use a decades-old name that is mostly associated with losing, then this team will not survive in Winnipeg anyway. The fan support for the NHL returning to Winnipeg will have to be unprecedented in order for the team to survive in a small market in a tiny arena. If fans are so fickle that they stay away just because of a silly thing like a name change, the team won't last 5 years. Minnesota has proven that you can have an entirely different name, colours, etc, and still have a wildly (haha) successful team. And they have one of the stupidest names, logos, and fugliest colour schemes in league history.

I say this as someone who proudly wore a Jets jersey to the Flames/Coyotes game last night, and booed the shit out of Phoenix. I've been following this saga for 15 years now and spend probably 2-3 hours a week keeping up with every shred of rumour as to what's going on. And I already have everything worked out for a trip to Winnipeg for the puck drop on the first NHL game once the city gets a team again. So I'm not some outsider poo-pooing things. I want Winnipeg to get a team back more than almost anyone I know.

But I don't think they will, nor do I think they need to be, the "Winnipeg Jets".

If I take every tiny bit of info on what I know and distill it down, I'm really starting to think they may go with "Manitoba Falcons". Another stupid appeal to history if you ask me, but at least a clever one. It also works well into the modern "fuzzy animal" approach of sports marketing. There's also the possibility they have chosen something entirely different that no one has guessed yet.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 4:52 PM
Urban Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
3. "Jets" is a borrowed name from the best team in the NFL anyway.
FTFY
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Last edited by rapid_business; Mar 16, 2011 at 5:13 PM.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 5:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mininari View Post
would we say that "winnipeg" is more easily recognizable around the world than "manitoba?"

my wife went to lithuania / estonia / latvia in 2007, and when she told people where she was from, they usually replied with a smile and said "winnipeg jets!"

exactly!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 5:06 PM

also helps that latvia is a hockey crazy country even with their small size.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 5:09 PM
BANNED

freeweed, I hear you-with a few exceptions-Minnesota uses the state name because two cities which are literally joined are of equal size and it would have been unfair to chose only one of them. Winnipeg has no other major city near it for hundreds and hundreds of miles. oh and the Jets were named after Bobby Hull ‘the Golden Jet’ which we signed at Portage and Main when we entered the old league. It has nothing to do with the airport or 17th Wing for that matter.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 5:25 PM

How many cities have lost a team, only to get another team back years later? Did those teams keep the same nicknames, if the old one was not still active in another city (Baltimore Colts to Baltimore Ravens. Indy took the name Colts)?

Seattle Pilots to Seattle Mariners (changed name, no tradition with Pilots)
Cleveland Browns to Cleveland Browns (stayed the same, long tradition with Browns)
Minnesota North Stars to Minnesota Wild (Dallas Stars not exactly the same as North Stars)

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 5:38 PM

Quote:
freeweed, I hear you-with a few exceptions-Minnesota uses the state name because two cities which are literally joined are of equal size and it would have been unfair to chose only one of them. Winnipeg has no other major city near it for hundreds and hundreds of miles. oh and the Jets were named after Bobby Hull ‘the Golden Jet’ which we signed at Portage and Main when we entered the old league. It has nothing to do with the airport or 17th Wing for that matter.
The Jets were named after the New York Jets. Ben Haskin was friends with the owner.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 5:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKB View Post
The Jets were named after the New York Jets. Ben Haskin was friends with the owner.
yes, that and the fact they signed the Golden Jet Bobby Hull. haha

getting back to names for our team...if they can't keep Jets fine, but keep Winnipeg in the name!

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 6:13 PM

Jets name

The Winnipeg Jets took their name from their WCHL counterpart who was using that name since 1967 (they were later renamed a few times and eventually relocated to AB). The fact that the team signed Bobby Hull probably made it obvious to choose the name. I'm not sure if the team owner had any kind of relations to the New York Jets of the NFL (who've used that name since 1963), but if so it would have been the third reason to use it.

I would absolutely love to see this franchise return back to Winnipeg as the Jets, even if TNSE doesn't hold the rights to the name, and even if its for just one season (I'm sure they could negotiate a license to use it, even temporarily). TNSE could get the best of both brands, and it would mean so much to the dedicated Jets fans.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 6:14 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
yes, that and the fact they signed the Golden Jet Bobby Hull. haha!
No, for the last time: Hull had nothing, nada, zero, zilch to do with the name. The team was named "Jets" before he was even looked at. It stems from an earlier Winnipeg team in the (now) WHL. The owner of the WHA Jets was a huge NY Jets fan and friends with the owner.

Hull's nickname was pure coincidence (but played up a lot more after the signing).

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
No, for the last time: Hull had nothing, nada, zero, zilch to do with the name. The team was named "Jets" before he was even looked at. It stems from an earlier Winnipeg team in the (now) WHL. The owner of the WHA Jets was a huge NY Jets fan and friends with the owner.

Hull's nickname was pure coincidence (but played up a lot more after the signing).
Wait a minute: are you saying Winnipeg hockey fans learned to embrace a NHL team with a name that originated in the minor leagues? But that's unthinkable!

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 6:49 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Wait a minute: are you saying Winnipeg hockey fans learned to embrace a NHL team with a name that originated in the minor leagues? But that's unthinkable!
Thank you for pointing that out. I didn't want to rant too much about the stupid non-arguments against "Moose".

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 8:02 PM

A very interesting development, according to this financial publication the bond sales are on hold as a result of the G.W.I. intention to sue.

Court Challenge keeps Glendale bond sale for Coyote's on hold

Photo Gallery: kengillespie.com
My Photo Blog

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan