HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 12:31 AM

The construction ROW closures were pushed out to 05/14 today.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/public-s...rtyrsn=2019189

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 12:34 AM

But that doesn't mean site prep is slowing down. Utility activity continues.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studioinnovatus View Post

This is obviously not true to perspective since none of the renderings are really from the same vantage point, but a quick shoddy attempt to see how this cluster will eventually look. Scale and placement should be fairly accurate. Gives us a good idea of composition until more renderings and someone with better photoshop skills comes around!
I have really gotten out of touch with all the new building around Rainey. Can somebody tell me which building proposals are represented in the above photo, specifically the three very tall buildings to the right of 98 Red River? How likely is it that these buildings will start construction in the next 12 months or so? I don't spend any time downtown any longer, and I am having a hard time following all the latest developments.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 4:39 AM

You gotta admit, the way it hugs the creek is.. *chef's kiss*

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 7:04 AM
Curlee Capital

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
I have really gotten out of touch with all the new building around Rainey. Can somebody tell me which building proposals are represented in the above photo, specifically the three very tall buildings to the right of 98 Red River? How likely is it that these buildings will start construction in the next 12 months or so? I don't spend any time downtown any longer, and I am having a hard time following all the latest developments.
Ritz will start in a few months. 98 seems to be underway, as is the Travis, who currently owns the Ritz lot

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 7:06 AM
Curlee Capital

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverranchdrone View Post
Yeah that was their response back to me. Maybe they are both the same people. Just hate when people put in work and don't get credit. Love seeing everyone interested on what we post here. Seems like this is one of the go to site for news on skyscrapers information in Austin.
let me know how to give credit - I have asked before. I apologize. Glad y'all are noticing it, again

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
You gotta admit, the way it hugs the creek is.. *chef's kiss*
Once they freshen up the trail, that's going to be an amazing part of town to be outside in nature right next to the tallest building in Texas.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 2:13 PM

If they ever get the Waller Creek Tunnel project completed it is supposed to pull water from the lake up stream to create a constant flow creek year round. I seriously have my doubts that it will occur but that was the original plan.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Left to Right. 98 Red River, Modern, The Travis, & Ritz-Carlton.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewaneetigers View Post
Ritz will start in a few months. 98 seems to be underway, as is the Travis, who currently owns the Ritz lot
98 has officially broken ground??

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX2030 View Post
If they ever get the Waller Creek Tunnel project completed it is supposed to pull water from the lake up stream to create a constant flow creek year round. I seriously have my doubts that it will occur but that was the original plan.
What? Waiting year after year after year for the completion of the project brings it into question? I can already hear the gurgling of the water.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 4:47 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX2030 View Post
No. The tunnel is a flood diversion tunnel - funneling flood waters through it from Waterloo Park down to the lake. It was never intended to pull water from the lake.

Depending on the downstream flow, having the "dam" and small "lake" at Waterloo park (plus the diversion/overflow tunnel) could create a level creek between the two. Similar in theory to the Highland Lake chain and its series of dams and level lakes - where Buchanan and Travis act as overflow reservoirs.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 5:13 PM

It has always been to be a flood control bypass tunnel AND to draw water in from the lake to waterloo park to have a consistent water flow back to the lake.

There was even a proposal years ago to make it a white water rapids. Personally, I think that was the one that should've been built.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
No. The tunnel is a flood diversion tunnel - funneling flood waters through it from Waterloo Park down to the lake. It was never intended to pull water from the lake.

Depending on the downstream flow, having the "dam" and small "lake" at Waterloo park (plus the diversion/overflow tunnel) could create a level creek between the two. Similar in theory to the Highland Lake chain and its series of dams and level lakes - where Buchanan and Travis act as overflow reservoirs.
Yes.

https://www.austintexas.gov/departme...ict-and-tunnel

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 5:16 PM

Congratulations! You are all wrong! The tunnel is complete and operational and is designed to recirculate water.

https://www.austintexas.gov/edims/do....cfm?id=241121

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
Congratulations! You are all wrong! The tunnel is complete and operational and is designed to recirculate water.

Not to hijack this thread but....

From the link you posted.

"Provides a constant flow of water in the creek."

"Except during cleanings, the tunnel is almost always full of water. To maintain water quality, fresh water is drawn in from the lake. This provides a system to maintain a constant flow of water in the creek during dry periods."

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post

KingKirby and ATX2030 were not wrong. They posted as I was composing my post.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 5:44 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

I stand corrected. Thank you.

So...any news on the tower?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 3:46 AM

Downtown Austin’s Record-Breaking ‘Supertall’ Tower Gets the Green Light

https://austin.towers.net/downtown-a...e-green-light/

A tower project set to become the tallest in the state has received an approval of its permit from the City of Austin, according to site plan updates from earlier this month and a LinkedIn post by WGI engineer Augustine Verrengia that set the city’s skyscraper enthusiast community on fire over the weekend with several new views of the record-breaker set to rise at the corner of East Cesar Chavez and Red River Streets.

With projects including the Travis, 80 Red River, the Modern Austin condos, the River Street Residences, and the 80 Rainey apartment tower all in various stages of realization nearby, it’s difficult to visualize how the supertall will look against the rest of the pack — enter our aforementioned skyscraper enthusiasts, as user Studioinnovatus cooked up a photoshop with the new renderings we saw this weekend to give us a better idea of the future neighborhood:

This was created by Studioinnovatus and was originally posted on Skyscraper Page. It shows the Travis and Modern Austin towers that have already broken ground as well as the Ritz and 98 Red River supertall that appears to have already broken ground. pic.twitter.com/LXd7C1zfxO

— The ATX (@TheATX1) March 29, 2022

In a city so famously resistant to change, it’s a pleasure to see such a sizable contingent of Austinites expressing their enthusiasm for downtown’s ongoing growth — but judging by the images above, this city ain’t seen nothing yet. The latest permits for the 98 Red River property show heavier construction could potentially kick off by mid-May, but there’s no clear date for an official “groundbreaking” at the moment — not that it really needs one, since it’s immediately clear from a visit to the site that there’s already early work taking place here. This one’s a go, people!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 12:55 PM

RE: Towers article. It is cool how many non-skyscraper nerds have embraced this tower. Rando friends have been posting about it left and right.

Did anyone else notice the slight changes to the tower? I don't think we've chatted about that. I love that the new version has shared balconies on the top tier, as opposed to the smaller brick enclosed balconies. ALSO....Is the orange gone?! I don't see it in the final renders.

Can I just say how excited I now am for this? Its always nice to be surprised with yourself from time to time. I am thrilled we're getting this and that it is frickin' creamy white/blue/orange(?)

Also, is this going to be named Red River Tower ? A lil birdy semi involved mentioned that last night, but hadn't heard anything else.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin