HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Oct 20, 2023, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftbeerdad View Post
Now if we ever figure out what's going into Gallagher's that would be a nice round out to Augusta/John. Whoever started the renovations there did some nice touches on using that frontage for maximum light but if and when that happens, who knows.
It was supposed to be "The Grande": https://instagram.com/thegrandhamilt...RlODBiNWFlZA==

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Oct 21, 2023, 4:21 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Also there's an alcohol licence application for an address just south of Argyle on Ottawa Street with the name "Malarkey".
Anyone remember the Malarkey's bar in Stoney Creek?

I was too young to be served there, but I recall it. Where Fiesta Mall used to be, now a power centre with that big Fortinos.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 2:00 AM

I was driving out Hwy 5 in Flamborough last week and noticed that they are building a Triple O’s at the Pioneer station out there.

Triple Os is a popular BC burger chain. It’s a bit remote, but may be worth the trip for burger aficionados.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
I was driving out Hwy 5 in Flamborough last week and noticed that they are building a Triple O’s at the Pioneer station out there.

Triple Os is a popular BC burger chain. It’s a bit remote, but may be worth the trip for burger aficionados.
Is that the old Plainsman location? If so, I may need to take a bit of a detour when passing through Clappisons Corners.
(Bonus points for calling it Flamborough, not Dundas like every location search does)

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 2:50 AM
Ham-burgher

Noticed tonight while driving past that a Pizzaiolo looks to be opening (? Google says it's "temporarily closed") on Ottawa St. between Cannon and Edinburgh (may have been close to Britannia) on the west side. I've never seen it before so figured it's new.

There's one not far from where I work in downtown Toronto where I've partaken of a slice or two, and I went to the one on Locke a few times while I lived nearby. When I lived in downtown Burlington, when the one at Brant and Lakeshore opened it was a godsend... saving me from the cardboard served up here.

I guess this would make three for Hamilton? (along with the one in Westdale)

Last edited by ScreamingViking; Oct 25, 2023 at 3:28 AM.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 12:19 PM

I honestly don't really like Pizzaiolo that much. Perhaps it's because I'm spoiled living by James with like 9 pizza places, but Flora, or Cowabunga are far better. Even on Ottawa, didn't mind Power Pizza, and Caro has good pizza.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishap View Post
Is that the old Plainsman location? If so, I may need to take a bit of a detour when passing through Clappisons Corners.
(Bonus points for calling it Flamborough, not Dundas like every location search does)
It's here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.3015...8192?entry=ttu

you can actually see the "coming soon" signage in the window in streetview.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 1:35 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
I honestly don't really like Pizzaiolo that much. Perhaps it's because I'm spoiled living by James with like 9 pizza places, but Flora, or Cowabunga are far better. Even on Ottawa, didn't mind Power Pizza, and Caro has good pizza.
Caro definitely does. Walking distance for me (Ottawa St. location) and if I want to spend a bit on a great entrée I'll often add a pizza and then have a couple of meals out of it.

I like a bit of variety in pizzas, so for me Pizzaiolo is a nice change of pace. And I've never ordered a custom pizza from them, just their slices.

I'll have to try Power and Cowabunga. In the area where I live I've tended to order from Hi-Line which is walking distance, and while I've had Shorty's I don't love it.

My favourite of the chains was Toppers but their downtown location has been unreliable and the one on Upper James closed. I've ordered from Gino's as well; they were a post-bar staple in the 1990s but their recipe was different then... I like it better today.

Other mentionables in Hamilton: Bronzie's, and Chicago Style (especially if the appetite is raging). The Attic used to be very good but the past few years it has not been. Mai Pai is good too though I didn't care for some of their menu pizzas.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post

As a west coaster (from birth till teenager), and for people who aren't familiar, Triple O's is White Spot's fast food chain that launched in the late 90s, with a burger focus. Definitely not bad, comparable to Harvey's or at least it was in the sense of a quality fast food joint.

Maybe they can open one in Hamilton too. They have a few in the GTA.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 5:05 PM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post

There's one not far from where I work in downtown Toronto where I've partaken of a slice or two, and I went to the one on Locke a few times while I lived nearby. When I lived in downtown Burlington, when the one at Brant and Lakeshore opened it was a godsend... saving me from the cardboard served up here.
Funny you say that, pretty much every person I've met from Burlington thinks that place is god tier. I had it once or twice and thought the same as you, really mediocre at best. Definitely not better than Pizzaiolo.

Also since we're talking pizza, I've seen some really good things about Tony G's on John Street N. Haven't made it over there myself but apparently they make a really good NY style pie.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
Funny you say that, pretty much every person I've met from Burlington thinks that place is god tier. I had it once or twice and thought the same as you, really mediocre at best. Definitely not better than Pizzaiolo.

Also since we're talking pizza, I've seen some really good things about Tony G's on John Street N. Haven't made it over there myself but apparently they make a really good NY style pie.
Lugano is King. It's because you only get it drunk. Tony GS looks.. alright, but I've heard mixed reviews. I miss Mattina.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 7:32 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Lugano is King. It's because you only get it drunk. Tony GS looks.. alright, but I've heard mixed reviews. I miss Mattina.
I guess that was my problem then, re: Lugano

Tony G's is new isn't it? I recall reading about it. Tony's Corner... in that very spot decades ago... was where my friends and I would "soak up" some of the consumed alcohol after nights at the Texas Border! (predecessor to Club 77, perhaps grand-predecessor). Same family, isn't it?

Gyros!! We even bought a bunch of Tony's gyro meat for a camping trip.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 8:29 PM

Tony G's seems very unaccommodating.

I asked to do half a large pizza pepperoni and half cheese and they wanted to charge $5 for that since it was inconvenient or whatever they said. Keep in mind, the difference between pepperoni and cheese is, you guessed it, pepperoni. Also said to hurry up and make a decision since there was a three hour waiting list. Told them not to worry about it and went to Flora where if you can believe it they don't care and don't charge for such an ask.

Too many good options with Cowbunga, Earth to Table, Flora, etc., to deal with that level of customer service, but to each their own.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 10:27 PM
Burger Connoisseur

OMG I can't wait to try Triple O's but why the hell is it out in the middle of nowhere!?

Also has there been any update on the Barton Mandarin?

And any update on the rumour that was on reddit over the summer about Hamilton getting Krispy Kreme somewhere on Rymal Road?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 1:24 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
I asked to do half a large pizza pepperoni and half cheese and they wanted to charge $5 for that since it was inconvenient or whatever they said. Keep in mind, the difference between pepperoni and cheese is, you guessed it, pepperoni. Also said to hurry up and make a decision since there was a three hour waiting list. Told them not to worry about it and went to Flora where if you can believe it they don't care and don't charge for such an ask.
What the hell? "Half" toppings is a common request, even for the places that serve assembly-line pizzas!

Got a better look tonight: Pizzaiolo will be a couple doors south of the old Avon, I believe it's 193 Ottawa N.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Tony G's seems very unaccommodating.

Too many good options with Cowbunga, Earth to Table, Flora, etc., to deal with that level of customer service, but to each their own.
Could you have bought a full pepperoni pizza and pulled the pepperoni off half of it?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 9:14 PM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by StEC View Post

Also has there been any update on the Barton Mandarin?
They had a job fair in late August and the google maps thing for it says early November, so I guess any day now?
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 7:33 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCTed View Post
Could you have bought a full pepperoni pizza and pulled the pepperoni off half of it?
If a business won't accommodate a basic, ridiculously simple request like half cheese half pepperoni they aren't worth patronizing. Basic customer service is required of pizzerias.

There's too much competition to not honour simple requests.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2023, 11:38 AM

Paninoteca on upper james just south of rymal has announced its closure effective immediately.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2023, 4:03 PM

Unfortunately I think there's going to be a lot of closures after the December busy season.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation