HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nito View Post
Princeton Junction (the clue is in the name), is a junction on the NEC mainline for the segregated Princeton Branch Line that runs 4.3km to… Princeton.
It is still the primary station for the area. And your point is nonsensical. Newark Airport has a station named "Newark Airport" on the NE Corridor mainline. But good luck walking directly into Newark Airport from the "Newark Airport" station. You have to take a shuttle to the actual airport terminal from the "Newark Airport" station. That shuttle line is similar in length to the length of the Princeton Dinky shuttle.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
UCSF is a university. Mayo Clinic and Cleveland Clinic aren't universities.
True, but the lines are getting more blurry each day with the full integrations of "health systems".

Mayo Clinic has its own medical school and Cleveland Cleveland Clinic has a small medical college training program grounded in research and dedicated to training physician-scientists.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memester View Post
It;s economic/academic outputs far exceed UMich or Wisconsin-Madison
That seems extremely unlikely.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
That seems extremely unlikely.
Yeah... that's a gigantic, steaming load of BS.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 4:07 PM

UCSF is basically Berkeley's medical school and med/bio research center.

It's ranked very highly in both of those areas and should be, but inclusion in an overall best universities list is weird, as others have mentioned.

(my wife has a PhD from UCSF)

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 4:12 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
True, but the lines are getting more blurry each day with the full integrations of "health systems".

Mayo Clinic has its own medical school and Cleveland Cleveland Clinic has a small medical college training program grounded in research and dedicated to training physician-scientists.
The latter are probably more like MD Anderson here in Houston; primarily treatment and research centers with some highly specialized degree programs. Mainly in conjunction with other systems. This is despite MDA being a component of The University of Texas System.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
The latter are probably more like MD Anderson here in Houston; primarily treatment and research centers with some highly specialized degree programs. Mainly in conjunction with other systems. This is despite MDA being a component of The University of Texas System.
For the Cleveland Clinic, yes. They are closely affiliated with Case Western Reserve medical school... and the very specialized Cleveland Clinic Lerner medical college is a part of Case Western... but Cleveland Clinic is an independent entity.

Mayo Clinic has its own full medical school though. It used to be called Mayo Medical School, now named Mayo Clinic School of Medicine and Science. It's a full graduate university style institution, and has been around since the 70s or 80s.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
You are certainly entitled to your opinion but I would surmise that most people would disagree with that assessment. I'm guessing that UCSF ranks so highly because it is in the Bay area with some many other highly ranked institutions and more importantly companies. If it was in the midwest, it would not be ranked. I even doubt that it is more influential for medical/research than the Mayo Clinic in Rochester Minnesota or the Cleveland Clinic.
The Medical School, nursing school, medical/biomedical PhD programs, hospital and other medical-related facilities would be in the top 10 (on many rankings, top 5) in the country no matter where they were.

Here, for example, is the US News "Best Hospitals" ranking:

Quote:
2021-22 Best Hospitals Honor Roll

1. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn.
2. Cleveland Clinic
3. UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles
4. Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore
5. Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston
6. Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles
7. New York-Presbyterian Hospital-Columbia and Cornell, N.Y.
8. NYU Langone Hospitals, New York, N.Y.
9. UCSF Medical Center, San Francisco
10. Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago
11. University of Michigan Hospitals-Michigan Medicine, Ann Arbor
12. Stanford Health Care-Stanford Hospital, Palo Alto, Calif.
13. Hospitals of the University of Pennsylvania-Penn Presbyterian, Philadelphia
14. Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston
15. Mayo Clinic-Phoenix
16. Houston Methodist Hospital
17. Barnes-Jewish Hospital, St. Louis (tie)
17. Mount Sinai Hospital, New York (tie)
19. Rush University Medical Center, Chicago
20. Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tenn.
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301341661.html

Old Posted Oct 30, 2021, 4:47 PM

I have a PhD in Biology and currently do research.

UCSF is absolutely a top-tier institution when it comes to biomedical sciences and the publications that come out of there.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2021, 2:36 AM

Yeah, no doubt it is among the top biomedical research and training universities in the world.

Just shouldn’t be in the same rankings as comprehensive undergrad/grad/professional degree-granting research universities. They’re completely different entities.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2021, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Yeah, no doubt it is among the top biomedical research and training universities in the world.

Just shouldn’t be in the same rankings as comprehensive undergrad/grad/professional degree-granting research universities. They’re completely different entities.
I mean, they aren't, in the rankings that count. USNWR only includes universities like UCSF and Rockefeller in the global edition, which has weird weights and inclusion criteria and which is generally ignored within the U.S.

The rankings that count are the USNWR undergrad rankings, and the various grad rankings, by discipline. So UCSF, Rockefeller and the like are only in the grad rankings.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 9:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
It is still the primary station for the area. And your point is nonsensical. Newark Airport has a station named "Newark Airport" on the NE Corridor mainline. But good luck walking directly into Newark Airport from the "Newark Airport" station. You have to take a shuttle to the actual airport terminal from the "Newark Airport" station. That shuttle line is similar in length to the length of the Princeton Dinky shuttle.
If Princeton was on the NEC there wouldn’t be a 4.3km branch line to Princeton or even a Princeton Junction station. Newark Airport – and massively off-tangent – is a different situation in that New York deviates from its international peers in not providing a direct terminal connection. Never mind that Princeton Junction is nearly 4x the distance than Newark Airport is.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 11:13 AM

Let's settle the smartest university once and for all, using objective measures like SATs and maybe other test scores like it (GREs etc. for grad students). Is there a list of test score averages for colleges? I recently read that the median SAT score at Caltech for the undergrads was 1600, meaning half of all undergrads had perfect scores. Can even MIT match that? Caltech also ranks highly on percent of students that go on to earn Ph.Ds, either there or at other universities.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Let's settle the smartest university once and for all, using objective measures like SATs and maybe other test scores like it (GREs etc. for grad students). Is there a list of test score averages for colleges? I recently read that the median SAT score at Caltech for the undergrads was 1600, meaning half of all undergrads had perfect scores. Can even MIT match that? Caltech also ranks highly on percent of students that go on to earn Ph.Ds, either there or at other universities.
But SAT scores (along with high school GPAs) have been complete bullshit for around the past decade/decade and a half, so I don't know how those metrics could settle anything.

The inflation of standardized admissions test scores and GPAs has moved into total silly territory. I mean, give us all a break... there's so many high school kids with perfect 1600 SAT scores and 5.8 GPAs everywhere these days, that no one even thinks twice about it. The "elite" college admissions battle evolved into such a business that the market responded... resulting in education specifically tailored to the material on less rigorous standardized admissions tests, a major "moving of the goalposts" in the attributes and calculation of high school GPAs, and thus, scores like the ones above becoming commonplace... when they couldn't even exist over 20 years ago.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 1:38 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
SAT's and GRE's are a terrible measure, and I say this someone who did well on both. The math section is really easy enough once you figure out they're trying to trick you a lot and the verbal section is mostly just vocabulary which you can cram.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 3:08 PM

The median SAT at CalTech is 1600? I find that hard to believe.

I can't find a median, but I find an average Caltech SAT of 1545. The 25th percentile is 1530 and the 75th percentile is 1570, so the vast majority of Caltech undergrads don't have perfect SATs.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 3:13 PM

Quote:
If Princeton was on the NEC there wouldn’t be a 4.3km branch line to Princeton or even a Princeton Junction station. '
What's the point here? Princeton isn't on the NEC line bc the Princeton Junction station isn't directly on the Princeton campus?

So Yale isn't on the NEC line bc neither New Haven Union nor New Haven State Street stations are directly on the Yale campus?

I've been to Cambridge University for a conference, and the train station was nowhere near campus or the city center. It was on the town fringes. Therefore I declare that Cambridge, England has no train service...

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 3:44 PM
Never Dell

Quote:
Wow, I'd go in totally the opposite direction. The whole idea of rankings feels like BS. It ignores the huge variation in what people can/should/do get out of universities, and the many ways a university can excel.

Some might crank out effective new hires. Others inspire entrepreneurs. Or develop great thinkers. Or help people find what they're passionate about. Or excel in important research. Or advance the culture. Some are great for the top performers. Other are better at helping the lower performers do well.

Likewise, is it better to start with the brightest and most prepared (like with SAT scores), or to cause the most improvement? The latter seems far more relevant.

I'll also say this as a researcher (in commercial real estate)...measurables are limited. They don't cover everything, they tend to apply to the aggregate and not your special situation, and they look backward.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 4:03 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
The median SAT at CalTech is 1600? I find that hard to believe.

I can't find a median, but I find an average Caltech SAT of 1545. The 25th percentile is 1530 and the 75th percentile is 1570, so the vast majority of Caltech undergrads don't have perfect SATs.
I bet the median math score is 800 just because the math section is so easy.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 4:11 PM

Quote:
If Princeton was on the NEC there wouldn’t be a 4.3km branch line to Princeton or even a Princeton Junction station. Newark Airport – and massively off-tangent – is a different situation in that New York deviates from its international peers in not providing a direct terminal connection. Never mind that Princeton Junction is nearly 4x the distance than Newark Airport is.
New York does have direct terminal service. You literally responded to me describing the direct terminal service.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions